Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What's Your Returns Behavior

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reprehensible behavior. I never would do this.

29 80.56%
  • Eh, when in Rome... I do it occassionally but not proud of it.

2 5.56%
  • Consumers are King! I'm entitled and do so with no compunction wutsoever.

5 13.89%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Returns -- Which way does your moral compass point?

Most likely with big retailers like mentioned above, these returns most likely go back to a central DC for return to the manufacturer or distributor as defective return. I highly doubt they are kept at store level to be used as testers. With computerization and inventory control systems, it would be a nightmare to keep track of returns being used as testers.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Exploiting a store's return policy to sample a fragrance for free doesn't seem to be a morally defensible move to me. The fact that the return policy doesn't explicitly prohibit it doesn't mean you should go round taking advantage. At least that's the direction MY moral compass points at...

Banned
    Blog Entries

never. that's like biting off a big mac then saying you wanted a double quarter pounder. get my drift

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Exploiting a store's return policy to sample a fragrance for free doesn't seem to be a morally defensible move to me. The fact that the return policy doesn't explicitly prohibit it doesn't mean you should go round taking advantage. At least that's the direction MY moral compass points at...
    This.

"Oh I'm entitled to try anything and everything and if I don't like it well that's not MY fault. Why should I have to suffer? First you make me suffer because it's not immediately available to me to try at my leisure, and then you make me suffer the anxiety of a blind buy, and then I suffer because I don't like it. It's not fair. You need to fix it!"

That kind of ****ing entitelment mentality makes me sick.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

If the source made a special point of "Just try it! You can return it!" I wouldn't see a big moral issue - I would assume that they did the research and that they're taking the bet that the increased sales will make the cost of returns worth it. For example, there's that recent paint commercial that goes out of its way to assure you that if you don't like the color that you chose, they'll give you another color. If they're going to make an IMO silly policy like that, I'm not going to feel bad if I take advantage of it.

But if it's more a matter of the source having such good customer service that they're not comfortable refusing a return, so that I'm essentialy bullying them into accepting the return, then, yes, that would be wrong of me.