Code of Conduct

Default Creed Millesime Imperial

Good evening.

Sorry about another one of "those" threads.

At the moment, I have Aventus, which I love, and now the weather is starting to get alot warmer, MI is looking very appealing.

I havent smelt it as yet, id just like your advice.

I do not like feminine scents personally, would you say it is a bit on the feminine side?

Im liking the sound of something cool and fresh for summer, but if it is to sweet/feminine then im not sure it would be for me.

Id like to add i am looking for a simple, clean fragrance, thats youthful yet still sophisticated and leaning to the masculine side slightly. I am quite a sporty guy who likes to work out.

It would also have to be suitable for casual daytime wear and also going out of a night, although i dont go anywhere formal of an evening or dress up, as im not that rich to purchase more than one choice.

Do you think this would be a good choice for me?

Default Re: Creed Millesime Imperial

Categorically!

Probably, 9 out of 10 basenoters love it.

Unfortunately I think it smells like overripe melon, and not in a good way.

Sample first, don't blind buy, you'll probably love it, but you might not...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Does it smell dated at all? Im also a little concerned about that, as i have sampled SMW before and i have to say it smells like something designed to be in fashion 20 years ago, and |i personally dont think its very suitable for 2013, well, not for me anyway...

Neither MI nor SMW smells "dated" to me. I think this notion of "dated" is way overblown in any case.

If you had that reaction to SMW, you would probably feel similarly to MI.

(and I like and own SMW, I think it smells fresher and more modern than MI)

Sample, it's the only way...

Banned

Good evening.
    Good Evening

Sorry about another one of "those" threads.
    Its ok

At the moment, I have Aventus, which I love, and now the weather is starting to get alot warmer, MI is looking very appealing.
    I havent smelt it as yet, id just like your advice.
    I do not like feminine scents personally, would you say it is a bit on the feminine side?
    Honestly, I think it smells a lot more on the masculine side.

Im liking the sound of something cool and fresh for summer, but if it is to sweet/feminine then im not sure it would be for me.
    Its definitely cool and fresh and not feminine at all

Id like to add i am looking for a simple, clean fragrance, thats youthful yet still sophisticated and leaning to the masculine side slightly. I am quite a sporty guy who likes to work out.
    I dont think it is youthful. I do not recommend anyone under the age of 30 to wear it. Not sure how old you are but there are other scents if you are looking for safe scents to wear to workout.

It would also have to be suitable for casual daytime wear and also going out of a night, although i dont go anywhere formal of an evening or dress up, as im not that rich to purchase more than one choice.
    If you like aventus, I could see you liking millesime imperial as well.
    Also try these: Gucci Pour Homme II, Chanel Allure Sport, Dior Homme Sport, Creed Himalaya

Yes, it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    Does it smell dated at all? Im also a little concerned about that, as i have sampled SMW before and i have to say it smells like something designed to be in fashion 20 years ago, and |i personally dont think its very suitable for 2013, well, not for me anyway...
    Honestly, I find them to smell a little similar so if you think smw smells outdated, you might think the same for MI as well.

MI is a great summer scent. Not dated or feminine at all. For the price, sample first though.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I don't understand why but I simply did not like MI. I tried it over time and could not get over its salty note? Whatever it was, I could not bear wearing it. Sold my bottle on ebay. Love Virgin Island Water though and Aventus, G.I.T., Bois du Portugal.

Basenotes Plus

Both SMW and MI were released in 1995, so you could say they are technically "designed to be in fashion 20 years ago" as you put it, however, I don't think either one of them smells "old school" in the same way Bois du Portugal or Aramis or even Guerlain Vetiver smell. These definitely have the "grandpa" vibe. SMW and MI are definitely not dated in that same way and you can easily wear them today without any problems.

Having said that, if you do not like light, floral scents that lean towards the feminine side, MI may be a little more on the feminine side of the spectrum (though perfectly unisex in my opinion). SMW is ever so slightly more masculine, though I'd definitely recommend sampling it first. When I first tried it I sort of liked it, then I tried it again 6 months later and it honestly smelled to me like a dirty mop left in the corner for couple months to rot, and then I tried it again recently and it's agreeable with me again - but not to the point of buying a bottle.

If you like Creeds, like Aventus, and are looking for a more masculine scent - yet still young and fresh - try Green Irish Tweed. While I think 99% of Creeds are way overrated - including Aventus (ugh) - I do own GIT and find it refreshing, light, masculine, and it works just as well with shorts as it does with a tuxedo. MI, to me, is way overrated, very generic floral, and while unisex - I think this one works better on the female half of the population.

Thank you for all the advice so far.

I have to say im actually 40 but im very active and sporty and consider myself to be relativley youhtful for my age, but i dont want to wear something that im obviously trying to be to young, i personally wouldnt wear typical generic teenage scents.

I did blind buy Aventus, and i guess i got lucky! With my purchase i recieved SMW as one of my samples, and i no that if i had blind bought that, i would of been seriously dissapointed.

Id also like to point out, when i say dated, i dont no, to me SMW smells like it belongs in the long lost era of CK ones etc, when those fresh unisex scents were at there height of popularity, its obviously just something personal to me, im not sure why...
    Last edited by DMA; 23rd April 2013 at 09:32 PM.

It's Masculine. I'm a girl and I would never think of wearing it. Creeds aren't dated. They're just different.

Absolutely

MI is not feminine, nor is it too sweet IMO. Personally, it's just a bit too salty for me, but that does start to wear off more as it dries down. For most, it's a very nice, versatile warm/hot weather scent. Do test first, though, as many people complain that they get very poor longevity & very minimal projection from it. I found both to be average on my skin.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Millesime Imperial is an excellent choice, based on everything you described. It smells similar to Sean John Unforgivable (and moreso Ed Hardy Love and Luck), but it's much much better. The only downside is the longevity, but you can always carry a little atomizer on you.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I don't understand why but I simply did not like MI. I tried it over time and could not get over its salty note? Whatever it was, I could not bear wearing it. Sold my bottle on ebay. Love Virgin Island Water though and Aventus, G.I.T., Bois du Portugal.
    The salt note made it smell funky to me when I first try it, and I didn't touch it for a few weeks, decided to sample again and loved it the second time round.
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I do not pick up any salt note in my batch of MI. Very heavy on the fruity notes and I get quite a bit of iris as well.

It's very unisex to me.

It is slightly sweet throughout, ymmv.

Sounds like you should be wearing Aventus. No problems in the summer for me.

MI is perfect in the day and night, and makes me feel very classy for formal events. To me it's not a scent that tries too hard or crave for others attention. It just makes me feel very confident.

Absolutely.

CologneFan85

It has that typical "older woman's perfumery" vibe to it IMO Im not fond of it.

I personally do not like MI.

But (1) it is not feminine (2) it is not dated (3) while I don't like it, I would highly recommend it, since so many people love it - you very well might also. If you like the scent, then it would absolutely be a good choice for you.

Sound Scents

Not dated, sweet nor feminine smelling to my nose, at least. I own and like it, but I almost never wear it as I seem to always find something more interesting in my wardrobe to choose and probably would not make the purchase again as a result. Pretty safe stuff, IMO.

Based on what you are looking for it sounds like a good fit...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

The scent itself is absolutely great and noway dated! But unfortunately the longevity and projection of mine is near zero!!! So it has been converted to my scent when I'm home to enjoy it or as a safe office scent, however I adore the scent itself. What a pitty...
    I don't know, maybe the batch story has happened to me being unlucky!
    Definitely buy it, worths having in every collection.
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

I guess im not the most interesting of people lol.

I havent sampled many Creeds, but of the ones that I have, ive noticed a theme. They dont really tend to scream here i am, or come across as being overly complex, and i like that.

I really have this thing for scents that are simple and understated. I like to be and feel well groomed, and have good taste of course, but thats about it really.

Im that guy that wears vintage jeans and a t shirt, that enjoys being the mysterious stranger at the back of the room that blends into the background, and i think of the creeds that i have sampled, they fit that perfectly.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I find it to be quite dated, wish I did not. Passed my bottle on. Could not tolerate this fragrance. Much prefer Virgin Island Water for the heat.

VIW sounds to brash and childish to me, but saying that, ive never smelt it so i shouldnt judge in the first instance.

I also live in the UK, so id feel a bit of an attention seeking idiot wearing something like that in my country. I dont feel it would be very suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    The scent itself is absolutely great and noway dated! But unfortunately the longevity and projection of mine is near zero!!! So it has been converted to my scent when I'm home to enjoy it or as a safe office scent, however I adore the scent itself. What a pitty...
    I don't know, maybe the batch story has happened to me being unlucky!
    Definitely buy it, worths having in every collection.
    ^^ this! It's a great fragrance but only for a short while...

I love the stuff, the smell of a lush melon on a Mediterranean sea breeze. I get eight hours longevity and it projects well. Check it out and see how you fair.

Millesime Imperial smells like a fusty middle aged women to me lol.
    virgin island water smells like suntan lotion, the only one i liked is erolfa.
    there is supposed to be a new fresh fragrance coming so maybe hold out a bit longer for that one.

It is solid but slightly over-rated over BN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I love the stuff, the smell of a lush melon on a Mediterranean sea breeze. I get eight hours longevity and it projects well. Check it out and see how you fair.
    I agree. I get good projection and longevity on this one. Personally VIW is going to be my Creed choice for the heat, but i think MI is going to get worn more than GIT this spring.

MI is overrated. It smells like a million other aquatics. It wouldn't get the attention it gets if it was from any house but Creed. The batch variations are too bad to justify a bottle. It's overpriced. It doesn't last. It's not challenging enough. Blah blah blah.

Just try it. My favorite scent in the world.

Oh, and VIW is great, too. In the Summer my default colognes are MI weekdays, and VIW on the weekends.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

For anyone in UK, would it be trustworthy to purchase from cheapsmells? I keep reading reviews complaining that bottles are old stock, damaged, testers, samples etc that dont smell right and have to be sent back.

No cheapsmells shilling please, just honest opinions of people with experience purchasing Creeds from there.

Many thanks.

It's a great scent, and I think you'd like it. More masculine than feminine imo. Only drawback is the longevity.

For anyone in UK, would it be trustworthy to purchase from cheapsmells? I keep reading reviews complaining that bottles are old stock, damaged, testers, samples etc that dont smell right and have to be sent back.

No cheapsmells shilling please, just honest opinions of people with experience purchasing Creeds from there.

Many thanks.
    Bought my MI from cheapsmells maybe two months ago. lot#S3311Z01

Have nothing to compare with, can´t say longevity is that great though.

I bought my SMW from Cheapsmells recently, no complaints with either price or product. Batch was from late 2011.

If you can't smell it in a shop locally, buy a sample online. It always makes more sense to sample first. It'll only cost a few bucks and the peace of mind is totally worth it.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I bought a 3.4 oz bottle of MI from Fragrancenet, and not sure what I got, my MI is strong. Very strong, as in 2 sprays and 10 minutes later and I am told I am wearing too much cologne!