Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Amouage sample pass - Men & Women (CONUS)

So, no real loves here for you, Lisa? These certainly are challenging; I don't think anyone would call this house "easy to wear". But I did finally find a couple Amouages I could wear! One is Dia, of course. And I do like Gold very much as well, at least from that older bottle of 30R's. Also learned that from group 2 I love:

Jubilation 25- what a perfect time to bring up the "almost chypres", Whitefluffy! Yes, this is a wonderful one! No moss here but it still haunts the nose the way a mossy chypre should. This is technically (and I mean very technically speaking) fruitchouli. But it proves that not all fruit and patch combos smell like Angel, that's for sure. Starts off green, citrusy and bitter, the way a proper chypre should. It maintains that grand Old World perfumey vibe through the heart, where the florals turn to a sun-warmed peaches glow that's reminiscent of Chant d'Aromes and even closer to the fantastic Mollie Parnis (really think our jujy needs to sample Jub. 25 if she hasn't). The drydown starts to veer off a bit more masculine, with vetiver and quite a lot of woods joining in. I love this style of scent and this one is so well-composed and executed. An "almost chypre" that I would gladly allow to reside with my 31 Rue Cambon. Had previously tried the masculine Jub. XXV and thought it was brilliant-but this is even better. Some orientals do a great job of imitating chypres and this one really takes her time in pulling off her disguise. Well done and it just smells so darned good, besides!

On the other hand we have my last sample, which is Epic. Turning out to be an Epic scrubber. No can do the sweetness on top of the fecal oud and haze of musk. But it's o.k., I'm thrilled with what I've learned from this pass! Amouage has been a very difficult house and I think they are just hit or miss for me. But I have learned that I still love Dia, even new Dia, and that Jubilation 25 is a scent I should have sampled long ago. I can see now that it's worthwhile for me to continue exploring this house, after I had been so close to giving up. This pass is a HUGE success for me Genie! Thank you so much for including me! I'm very pleased I joined in and learned so much; the opportunity is fully appreciated. Can't wait to follow along with the rest of the group as they post their thoughts!

And Whitefluffy! You had me in tears I was laughing so hard at the image of your sexy, cheetah print-wearing perfume bottles! Oh my gosh, kept snickering about it here and there all weekend, too! You're so hilarious! Big hugs to you for the laugh, funny girl!

Will be mailing to bookwyrm first thing in the morning! On to the second round of samplers, we go!
    The nose wants what it wants!

PerfumedLady & Whitefluffy, I just love when you guys get the friendly banter going in these passes! Just picturing some of those scenarios had me roaring with laughter! You've both contributed so much with your humor & experiences. Still looking forward to Whitefluffy's thoughts on the vintage Ubar, as we had a chat about it recently.

Lisa, it's been an honor to have you sampling with us. After all you've put into this community, I'm happy to have the opportunity to send a little something along to you for a change!!

So far it sounds like vintage Ubar is finding the most love here!

I will need to be away from Basenotes for several days, so please contact PerfumedLady if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks to everyone & happy sniffing!
    Last edited by Genie Jeanie; 14th May 2013 at 12:34 PM.

Yep, I'm here if anyone needs anything! And I don't bite (unless you ask me nicely), so don't be shy. We'll miss you, Genie!

Shilling, I will be shipping tomorrow. I tried to send you PM but your inbox is full, you must be a very popular girl .

Tested these the past few days. Thanks a million Genie Jeanie. You're the best. Thanks for the samples as well. Just want to let everyone know what I thought of these four Amouage masterpieces.

Jubilation XXV: My favorite of the four. Light honeyed orange with cinnamon and spices. Incense with light wood (oud and cedarwood). Very unique fragrance. A great powdery fragrance which seems nice for spring and summer. But, I would use this one all year round. 8+ hours of longevity on my skin. Rating 9 out of 10.

Interlude Man: Lightly sweet with a woody (oud) vibe and light spices (incense). This one has a herbal note (probably the rosemary). In the mids you get a leather note with bergamont and amber. Better suited for fall, winter and early spring. 9.5 out of 10.

Gold Man:Floral, woody and lightly powdery with a nice dose of musk. I can detect the civet, which gives this a skankiness in a good way (coming from a person who dislikes civet). This one reminds me of an old shcool scent that was refined to fit today's scents. IMO Gold Man could be worn by a woman due to the floral note. (even though they have a women's version). I detect the myrrh, which enhances the old school vibe. 9+ hours on my skin. Rating 8 out of 10.

Epic Man: Smokey wood and incense with a light pepper in there. This one has a forest vibe IMO. Ash or burning wood. The leather note balances the wood and incense to give it an outdoor vibe. I get the oud in this one as well as the musk. This would be perfect for an outdoor activity or event. I would wear this in the fall, winter and early spring. 9 hours easy on my skin. 9 out of 10.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 15th May 2013 at 12:38 AM.

Nice pick for your fave, sjg! Jubilation XXV is an exceptional masculine.

Have mailed to bookwyrm this morning. And Whitefluffy, I e-mailed Schilling's addy just in case-sorry if it was redundant info! Just wanted to be sure you got it!

I will be getting a bottle of Jubilation XXV ASAP. I will send the sample pass to my friend SouthernGardens tomorrow. I know he will enjoy these. Of course I will send him a surprise or two in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Nice pick for your fave, sjg! Jubilation XXV is an exceptional masculine.

Have mailed to bookwyrm this morning. And Whitefluffy, I e-mailed Schilling's addy just in case-sorry if it was redundant info! Just wanted to be sure you got it!

I must have popped in while you were in the midst of writing up your impressions earlier, sjg. I'm just now seeing your entire post and it's wonderful; very informative reviews! Congrats on your soon-to-be new bottle!

I think you are right, I have a hunch southerngardens will be impressed by some of these. Think the Amouage style will speak to the part of him that loves the classics. Excited to find out what all of our next samplers will have to say!

Thank you PL. These are wonderful fragrances.
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    I must have popped in while you were in the midst of writing up your impressions earlier, sjg. I'm just now seeing your entire post and it's wonderful; very informative reviews! Congrats on your soon-to-be new bottle!

I think you are right, I have a hunch southerngardens will be impressed by some of these. Think the Amouage style will speak to the part of him that loves the classics. Excited to find out what all of our next samplers will have to say!
    Last edited by sjg3839; 15th May 2013 at 01:15 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm looking forward to trying Jubilation XXV and Epic Man... I've tried Gold Man and Interlude Man. I'm curious to 're-try' them as I was much less experienced in the area of note detection when I first tried them. My 'holy grail' Amouage is Opus VI, I love it, but can't justify the cost. I'm looking for a sale but that stuff is NEVER discounted!!! The pride and joy of my collection is my bottle of Amouage Tribute. WOW...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Just a quick pop-in to let everyone know that the goodies are on their merry way to Schilling. Thank you so much for the addy and the beautiful daffodils, PerfumedLady ! Schilling did give me her address, it was my reply that rebounded. But redundant is always miles better than insufficient, IMHO. Hip hip hooray for redundancy!

Jubilation XXV is a beaut - noble and uncharacteristically well restrained for Amouage. Not too sweet, too opulent, or too too much of anything, but it's no less regal and dashing. You chosen well, sjg3839!

Also I agree with you wholeheartedly about Gold Man and women. I personally like it even more for myself than the Woman though I admire it greatly as well. It is powdery, civety, and skunky, just like you said. It's old fashioned, opulent, romantic, naughty, and grand - all rolled into one fine smelling burrito. And I think it's much more interesting than no less gorgeous Woman - I can see some 17th century politically talented gentleman wearing it at the French Royal Court. There is a rumor that Russian president Vladimir Putin is very partial to Gold Man, and I can certainly see why. Gold Man is my absolute favorite masculine Amouage.

Possum-Pie - Tribute is truly something else. I had couple of drops, courtesy of infinitely generous cacio and I was honored and humbled to be in its presence. Congrats!

PerfumedLady - I owe you HUGE communication, I can only hope you will forgive my lengthy silence.

Genie Jeanie - I will be back with my thoughts on vintage Ubar. I do hope you can forgive me - life's been a bit hectic lately and I didn't want to shortchange this gem with my hurried thoughts.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 15th May 2013 at 05:01 AM.