Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Will Creed make me come off as a snob?

Most people are not fragrance people and will simply say you smell nice.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Memoir Woman by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    What he said. Only thing I'd add is don't be afraid to say the name of what you're wearing if asked, it's nothing to be shy about. If the person wants to look it up and find out much it costs, that's his/her prerogative. I doubt anyone at age 19 you're hanging out with has any clue what Creed is. You'd probably come off as more of a perceived high class douche if you said you were wearing Chanel or Armani.
    Hehe true

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    I doubt anyone at age 19 you're hanging out with has any clue what Creed is. You'd probably come off as more of a perceived high class douche if you said you were wearing Chanel or Armani.
    EXACTLY. My friend was called a douche for telling people he wore Mont Blanc. And when my friends ask what I wear, they reply "what, even bands make fragrances nowadays?" And I just chuckle.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Good choices for summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Good choices for summer.
    Currently wearing: Aer by Angela Ciampagna

First, with cologne, the less said the better. Always just respond with a polite "thanks" if someone tells you how nice you smell. And you WILL smell fantastic wearing MI, GIT, VIW, or several other Creeds.

Second, in my experience, about 1 in 500 people will have heard of Creed. And even the few people that have heard of it generally only know the basic fact that it makes expensive colognes. Really, the basenotes community is not normal (on several levels)

Third, I'd bet if you said you wore Prada, you'd come off as more of a snob than saying Creed.

Finally, the only time I give more information is if a person specifically asks. This crops up occasionally with GIT; I've been asked where to get it, how expensive it is, and other questions. I usually respond something like, "I think you can get it at Saks (this is the only store that carries GIT in my city). I don't think it's cheap, but it was a gift." And I only mention "it's not cheap" if I'm specifically asked about price. Sometimes even then I just say it was a gift and I don't know. Now that I think about it, I will probably begin just using the "gift" line from now on. What's cheap to some is not cheap to others.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Snob? No, but it will make you come off as someone new to the world of fragrance and who's spent way too much money on a slickly marketed package.

Not at all - I gave my son some Original Vetiver and GIT I don't wear anymore when he was your age and he liked them, seemed fine. Just don't overdo it.

In the end though, who cares really? You can be a perfume snob, without being a snobby person in general. Don't know if that make sense.

Turns out I really dispise SMW, and MI is ok. GIT is pretty good, but i feel like I coud pull off cool water instead. Im quite surprised and disappointed, I dont like whatever that green note they all share. I guess I ahve discovered I am more of a sweet/clean guy. Stoked to try the YSL L'homme next.

Basenotes Junkie

To me, whether you are perceived as a snob or not is decided by how you act, not what you wear, be it fragrance or otherwise.
    Last edited by The_Scentinel; 27th April 2013 at 08:12 PM.

treeman5823

I promise you no one will stop you in the middle of the street and reprimand you for wearing...that.

If u enjoy it why not. And if someone asked me was I wasl wearing I would tell. I dont consider perfume magic. Its something yoy wear because I like it and if the next guy enjoys it eniugh to ask me I think he should worth telling them.
    Any opinions I post here about frags only reflect MY PERSONAL TASTE and only my personal preference which could change at any moment.

Wear a fragrance because you love it. If someone asks you what you are wearing say, "Deodorant?"

Quote Originally Posted by Long Boarder View Post
    So I ordered a few testers. MI, GIT, SMW and also YSL Homme. I am looking for a signature scent for the summer. I'm only 19, and just looking for something I can wear everyday that I enjoy, and also the girls as well. I really don't want to be known as "The guy that wears all that cologne". I'm not a flashy guy, but will wearing expensive cologne make me come off that way? Im going to be spending the summer on the beaches of South Carolina, so it will be hot there lol..
    Sounds like you are in for a good summer

unless you walk around telling people the price etc, shouldnt be an issue. Like another poster said people will just think you have good taste. Find whichever ones make you feel good and that you like wearing and you are all set. Might want to order a sample of VIW, its a pretty fun and unique beach scent.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Definitely not. Wear what you like.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Absolutely not. i own several Creed fragrances and never have been regarded to be a snob.

The really important thing is that whether you wear Hugo Boss or Amouage, wear it because you enjoy it and if you try it and don't enjoy it, don't wear it.

That way round you will appreciate some things that you didn't expect to appreciate (my SOTD is from an old bottle of Maja, sadly now reformulated, but even at full price only cost £10 a bottle but is lovely) and spend only the money that you really do want to spend on something that you enjoy.

If others enjoy what you're wearing then that's great, but you don't wear any scent for them, you wear it for you.

And yes, the correct answer to 'you smell fabulous' is a smile and a thank you
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Turns out I really dispise SMW, and MI is ok. GIT is pretty good, but i feel like I coud pull off cool water instead. Im quite surprised and disappointed, I dont like whatever that green note they all share. I guess I ahve discovered I am more of a sweet/clean guy. Stoked to try the YSL L'homme next.
    Thank God for that, I thought you were another one who had joined Basenotes just to shill Creed.

I'm not a flashy guy, but will wearing expensive cologne make me come off that way?
    Not unless you're walking with the receipt stuck to your forehead!
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Only if you get your chauffeur to take the Butler in your Roll's to Harrods to purchase a bottle.

You will only come off as a snob if you simply can't resist talking about what you are wearing and how much it costs.

If you want to avoid any hint of pretentiousness, when asked what you are wearing use the name of the fragrance only (Silver Mountain Water, or whatever), don't mention the brand (Creed) in conjunction with the name, and say nothing about the price, rarity, or where it was purchased unless directly asked.

As long as you manage to contain your contempt for people who wear lesser scents you should be fine.

Even if you can't, you're wearing Creed, and they are not, so who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    People won't know that it's expensive unless you tell them.
    exactly
    Currently wearing: Reveal Men by Calvin Klein