Code of Conduct

Default Will Creed make me come off as a snob?

So I ordered a few testers. MI, GIT, SMW and also YSL Homme. I am looking for a signature scent for the summer. I'm only 19, and just looking for something I can wear everyday that I enjoy, and also the girls as well. I really don't want to be known as "The guy that wears all that cologne". I'm not a flashy guy, but will wearing expensive cologne make me come off that way? Im going to be spending the summer on the beaches of South Carolina, so it will be hot there lol..

Default Re: Will Creed make me come off as a snob?

People won't know that it's expensive unless you tell them.

Unless you tell people it is 200$+ retail, I doubt people would even know you wear an expensive fragrance... And what kind of person would go around bragging about the price of one's fragrance anyway, lol
    So I doubt they will think you are a snob
    Last edited by NorstrÝm; 23rd April 2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Typo
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

i dont think so personally.

i purchased my first creed, aventus earlier this year, and i have never been complimented so much before on a scent im wearing. a few customers where i work even have asked me to right down the name and brand for them. im not sure what they personally think when they go home and google it and see how much it costs lol. maybe there reaction changes to both me and the scent, thats quite possible.

Banned

I dont recommend MI and SMW for your age. GIT and YSL L'homme are good though.

How about Dior Homme sport or Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme?

Both are good for the summer.

These are all very good fragrances, IMO. You'll definitely smell different from your contemporaries, but that's not a bad thing per se. If you want to smell mainstream, then Acqua di Gio is probably your safest bet. MI and SMW would work very well in the summer. You might also try Creed's Virgin Island Water; to me, that one just epitomizes summer on the beach.

No, they will make you come off as having good taste. Nobody will know how much it costs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    i dont think so personally.

a few customers where i work even have asked me to right down the name and brand for them. im not sure what they personally think when they go home and google it and see how much it costs lol.
    When was the last time you saw a magic show where the magician revealed his secrets after the show?

Now think about this question and reconsider your answer next time when people ask you what you are wearing.

Your perfume is called "your little secret"

and if you tell them what you are wearing, you are no longer that guy who smells amazing in their eyes.

Only if you are indeed a snob about wearing such a fragrance will people think you are a snob.

Creed is appropriate for the beach because the silage is understated rather than obnoxious.
    If you're a gentleman with a sense of humor who shows some class around the girls, then that's the way you'll appear. Creed IS classy.

In a word, no. Don't tell them the cost or the brand...and even if you did they most likey don't know Creed. Better than wearing AdG and come off as a follower...or a fool.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

If you take the time to explain what you are wearing and how much it cost then you will lose the attention of anyone that you are talking to. Dont do it. Especially if its a girl that tells you that you smell good. Just smile and say "Thanks, so do you. "

At 19 you can be a little snob if you can learn from the experience.

If you go to the beach, also try Virgin Island Waters.

You will be fine. Enjoy them.

Naw. Enjoy bro.

It could...depending of the scents you choose...to become a classy snob, try Bois du Portugal or Royal English Leather.

Are you planning on wearing a monocle to the beach? Because that might just push you over the edge.

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Exactly! Unless they are frag heads that know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Boarder View Post
    I really don't want to be known as "The guy that wears all that cologne". I'm not a flashy guy, but will wearing expensive cologne make me come off that way?
    Wearing too much of anything will make you come off that way, regardless of whether the fragrance costs $20 or $200. The trick is to not overdo it. Find a scent you like that you think fits your personality and your style, and then learn to wear it appropriately.

You've picked some good ones, but to be honest, you don't have to spend a ton of money in order to smell great. Search the forum and you'll find lots and lots of posts with affordable gems. Cheers!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

No, but leave the bottle, box, and receipt at home.

Just enjoy it and say to yourself " I am wearing a nice fragrance " rather than sayin " I am wearing an expensive fragrance" .

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    If you take the time to explain what you are wearing and how much it cost then you will lose the attention of anyone that you are talking to. Dont do it. Especially if its a girl that tells you that you smell good. Just smile and say "Thanks, so do you. "
    quoted for truth

When I wear Creed, I:

- eat only the finest beluga caviar, from a sturgeon that has been fed only the finest (to that point in time) beluga caviar;
    - drink only sake that has been aged to classical music;
    - don a solid gold tuxedo for which I had to fight three rappers at the nonsense store; and
    - ride atop a magnificent elephant whose back is adorned in the purest silk, and surrounded by comely lasses of virtue true.

Oh, wait, you're not ordering Aventus. You should be fine.

But seriously, once you explore the world of fragrance you'll realise that Creeds are not the be-all and end-all of fragrances.

They're not as mindblowing as some people say, and they're certainly not as bad as some people say. As with many houses, some of their fragrances are excellent, others are good, others are overpriced for what they are.

I will replace my bottle of VIW when it is finished, that's for damn sure, and I'll probably get another split of Aventus when my current decant runs out.

Banned
    Blog Entries

So I ordered a few testers. MI, GIT, SMW and also YSL Homme. I am looking for a signature scent for the summer. I'm only 19, and just looking for something I can wear everyday that I enjoy, and also the girls as well. I really don't want to be known as "The guy that wears all that cologne". I'm not a flashy guy, but will wearing expensive cologne make me come off that way? Im going to be spending the summer on the beaches of South Carolina, so it will be hot there lol..
    Creed is great for the summer and you won't ever be that "cologne guy". People can hate on Creed all they want. That doesn't change the fact that Creed fragrances are versatile and wearable.

I doubt you'll come across as a snob, as my prediction is that you'll have a tough time finding any female peers who've ever heard of Creed.

or you can just buy Cool Water and tell them it's Green Irish Tweed from Creed that cost $200, they wouldn't know the different
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angťlique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Nope...only being/acting like an actual snob will make you come of as a snob.

Bravo. I apologize for the large font, but seriously, this is spot on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Nope...only being/acting like an actual snob will make you come of as a snob.
    This too!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

This x 1000.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    When I wear Creed, I:

- eat only the finest beluga caviar, from a sturgeon that has been fed only the finest (to that point in time) beluga caviar;
    - drink only sake that has been aged to classical music;
    - don a solid gold tuxedo for which I had to fight three rappers at the nonsense store; and
    - ride atop a magnificent elephant whose back is adorned in the purest silk, and surrounded by comely lasses of virtue true.
    !

What he said. Only thing I'd add is don't be afraid to say the name of what you're wearing if asked, it's nothing to be shy about. If the person wants to look it up and find out much it costs, that's his/her prerogative. I doubt anyone at age 19 you're hanging out with has any clue what Creed is. You'd probably come off as more of a perceived high class douche if you said you were wearing Chanel or Armani.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

Most people are not fragrance people and will simply say you smell nice.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    What he said. Only thing I'd add is don't be afraid to say the name of what you're wearing if asked, it's nothing to be shy about. If the person wants to look it up and find out much it costs, that's his/her prerogative. I doubt anyone at age 19 you're hanging out with has any clue what Creed is. You'd probably come off as more of a perceived high class douche if you said you were wearing Chanel or Armani.
    Hehe true

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    I doubt anyone at age 19 you're hanging out with has any clue what Creed is. You'd probably come off as more of a perceived high class douche if you said you were wearing Chanel or Armani.
    EXACTLY. My friend was called a douche for telling people he wore Mont Blanc. And when my friends ask what I wear, they reply "what, even bands make fragrances nowadays?" And I just chuckle.

Good choices for summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Good choices for summer.

First, with cologne, the less said the better. Always just respond with a polite "thanks" if someone tells you how nice you smell. And you WILL smell fantastic wearing MI, GIT, VIW, or several other Creeds.

Second, in my experience, about 1 in 500 people will have heard of Creed. And even the few people that have heard of it generally only know the basic fact that it makes expensive colognes. Really, the basenotes community is not normal (on several levels)

Third, I'd bet if you said you wore Prada, you'd come off as more of a snob than saying Creed.

Finally, the only time I give more information is if a person specifically asks. This crops up occasionally with GIT; I've been asked where to get it, how expensive it is, and other questions. I usually respond something like, "I think you can get it at Saks (this is the only store that carries GIT in my city). I don't think it's cheap, but it was a gift." And I only mention "it's not cheap" if I'm specifically asked about price. Sometimes even then I just say it was a gift and I don't know. Now that I think about it, I will probably begin just using the "gift" line from now on. What's cheap to some is not cheap to others.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Snob? No, but it will make you come off as someone new to the world of fragrance and who's spent way too much money on a slickly marketed package.

Not at all - I gave my son some Original Vetiver and GIT I don't wear anymore when he was your age and he liked them, seemed fine. Just don't overdo it.

In the end though, who cares really? You can be a perfume snob, without being a snobby person in general. Don't know if that make sense.

Turns out I really dispise SMW, and MI is ok. GIT is pretty good, but i feel like I coud pull off cool water instead. Im quite surprised and disappointed, I dont like whatever that green note they all share. I guess I ahve discovered I am more of a sweet/clean guy. Stoked to try the YSL L'homme next.

To me, whether you are perceived as a snob or not is decided by how you act, not what you wear, be it fragrance or otherwise.
    Last edited by The_Scentinel; 27th April 2013 at 07:12 PM.

treeman5823

I promise you no one will stop you in the middle of the street and reprimand you for wearing...that.

If u enjoy it why not. And if someone asked me was I wasl wearing I would tell. I dont consider perfume magic. Its something yoy wear because I like it and if the next guy enjoys it eniugh to ask me I think he should worth telling them.
    Any opinions I post here about frags only reflect MY PERSONAL TASTE and only my personal preference which could change at any moment.

Wear a fragrance because you love it. If someone asks you what you are wearing say, "Deodorant?"

Sounds like you are in for a good summer

unless you walk around telling people the price etc, shouldnt be an issue. Like another poster said people will just think you have good taste. Find whichever ones make you feel good and that you like wearing and you are all set. Might want to order a sample of VIW, its a pretty fun and unique beach scent.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Definitely not. Wear what you like.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Absolutely not. i own several Creed fragrances and never have been regarded to be a snob.

The really important thing is that whether you wear Hugo Boss or Amouage, wear it because you enjoy it and if you try it and don't enjoy it, don't wear it.

That way round you will appreciate some things that you didn't expect to appreciate (my SOTD is from an old bottle of Maja, sadly now reformulated, but even at full price only cost £10 a bottle but is lovely) and spend only the money that you really do want to spend on something that you enjoy.

If others enjoy what you're wearing then that's great, but you don't wear any scent for them, you wear it for you.

And yes, the correct answer to 'you smell fabulous' is a smile and a thank you
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Turns out I really dispise SMW, and MI is ok. GIT is pretty good, but i feel like I coud pull off cool water instead. Im quite surprised and disappointed, I dont like whatever that green note they all share. I guess I ahve discovered I am more of a sweet/clean guy. Stoked to try the YSL L'homme next.
    Thank God for that, I thought you were another one who had joined Basenotes just to shill Creed.

I'm not a flashy guy, but will wearing expensive cologne make me come off that way?
    Not unless you're walking with the receipt stuck to your forehead!

Only if you get your chauffeur to take the Butler in your Roll's to Harrods to purchase a bottle.

You will only come off as a snob if you simply can't resist talking about what you are wearing and how much it costs.

If you want to avoid any hint of pretentiousness, when asked what you are wearing use the name of the fragrance only (Silver Mountain Water, or whatever), don't mention the brand (Creed) in conjunction with the name, and say nothing about the price, rarity, or where it was purchased unless directly asked.

As long as you manage to contain your contempt for people who wear lesser scents you should be fine.

Even if you can't, you're wearing Creed, and they are not, so who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    exactly