Code of Conduct

Default Old Spice India?

Is it true the Old Spice in India is the the Original formulation? Or is there anywhere else that makes the original formulation. The new stuff really sucks...

Default Re: Old Spice India?

I hadn't heard that before. Was this mentioned or discussed somewhere on this forum before?

I seem in a post on Badger & Blade I think,just found this there's kinda a debate & opinions here

http://theshaveden.com/forums/thread...mulated.10618/

Its much closer to the original Shulton than the current formulation IMO.

There's a thread on B&B where a member uses chromatography to compare the formulations of current P&G Old Spice, Vijon Old Spice, Indian Shulton Old Spice and Vintage Shulton Old Spice.

There is evidence that the Indian stuff is almost bang-on the same.

It's in a post in Orgoglio Italiano's linked thread, but the direct link is here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...lease-stand-up

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

If there is a scent i am very familiar with, it is Old Spice (aftershave, cologne, etc) Knew it almost from birth, as it was my dad's only scent for the first 22 years of my life. I currently have the P&G India Old Spice and believe it is not perceptably different from the early version(s) i knew.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I wrote up a blog post about reformulations after experiencing the original (and far superior, IMO) Jazz by YSL. As I was editing it I noticed someone wrote a blog post touching on the subject, so I added this "note:"

For those of you who think reformulation issues are minor, and just read the recent blog post at http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com (“The Reformulation Of Old Spice Gets Analyzed”), I think it’s important to point out that many of us who do perceive drastic differences in many of the 80s designer scents that were reintroduced by another company years later do not think much of scents like Old Spice in any formulation (within the last 30-40 years, at least). In fact, a while back I wrote up a blog post about vintage Royal Copenhagen, suggesting it wasn’t even as good (to me) as something like Burberry’s Brit for Men (which I certainly don’t view as a “great” scent). Not long after that post, I swapped my bottle of RC off for Oscar for Men (1999). Thus, gas chromatography needs to be done for scents like Red for Men, Lagerfled Cologne, Oscar Pour Lui, Acteur, and Lapidus Pour Homme 1987 (IMO, but a GC would tell us how accurate the opinion likely is). I am willing and able to provide vintage samples of these to someone who can test them, and may have reformulated samples as well.

However, some scents, like Boss Cologne/#1 I do not think will register a particularly different result with the GC test (I can supply both samples of that one). So, it’s crucial to get the facts straight about what is being argued here, and not debate “straw men.” Moreover, if someone is claiming that a sandalwood note is missing and is necessary to “hold” the scent together, so to speak (as I have at times) I’m not sure the GS would appear that much different to those who don’t think there is a major difference. It would be important (at least to me) to get the opinion of someone like Luca Turin on this idea. And what about “richness?” Will that show a significant difference on a GC test? Again, for all I know it may be the molecules that are not responsible for most of the smell of the scent that generate this perception when I evaluate them. Lastly, remember that all this is leaving aside cases like Halston’s 1-12, which several years ago listed both oakmoss and tree moss, but now neither ingredient is listed (I have the boxes to prove it, both made by EA Fragrances) !

I have a long history with Old Spice; love it! The Indian version is closer to the old school Shulton. It is spicier and smoother than than the current P&G, which can be a bit harsh.

I also have some older P&G Old Spice, from the days when it still came in a glass bottle. It too is richer and mellower than the current one in the plastic bottle.

When I need more Old Spice, I would definitely get the glass bottle, either vintage or Indian. My Indian Old Spice came in a plastic bottle (100mL), but I see there are other sellers on eBay who have glass bottles (50mL and 150mL). Based on some comments about the Indian Old Spice that I've read on a few other threads, there may be some small differences between them...

Not exactly the same, but pretty close. I would suggest getting it if you wish to experience what Old Spice once was (not a run of the mill, fluffy bay rum it is today).

Where can you buy this from in the UK?

You would probably have to source on eBay from Indian sellers though I hear UK now bans import of fragrances unless sent by private carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    You would probably have to source on eBay from Indian sellers though I hear UK now bans import of fragrances unless sent by private carrier.
    Yep, that's true. So they've released different versions of this scent for different markets?

Quote Originally Posted by 61824 View Post
    Yep, that's true. So they've released different versions of this scent for different markets?
    I think it's actually different companies. Old Spice was originally made by Shulton starting in the 1930s, but was bought by Proctor & Gamble (P&G) in 1990, who reformulated it and called it Old Spice Classic. The Shulton trademark and recipe is still used in India by MCPL, with the name Old Spice Original.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 61824 View Post
    Where can you buy this from in the UK?
    Maybe these folks?

http://www.emporiumonnet.co.uk/beaut...ter-shave.html

Some UK-based shaving vendors may carry it (I know a couple in the US do). Also, try the Original lather shave cream; it's really close to the original one made in the United States.

I bought some from WCS and instead of saying Shulton it said P&G on the back :-( but WCS said it's the old formula from shulton still made in India. So why does the Indian one I have say made by P&G weird...

Any other US vendors besides WCS sell the Old Spice from India all the stuff deodorant,shave cream,aftershaves,talcum ?
    Last edited by Orgoglio italianO; 29th June 2014 at 04:29 AM.

I have a sealed Shulton formulation that is made in India (50 ml, A/S), but it's the Lime version and I haven't opened it because I want to preserve the value, since I'm not a big OS fan (would rather swap it). I have tried some 1980s Night Spice not too long ago, but it's close to OS and again, I just don't find it especially compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Its much closer to the original Shulton than the current formulation IMO.
    Very true. These days they are selling the same stuff which is available on ebay US. I dont find them comparable to the original in any way.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Great find; am heading to Mumbai for work in a couple of weeks; will track some down....

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoglio italianO View Post
    Is it true the Old Spice in India is the the Original formulation? Or is there anywhere else that makes the original formulation. The new stuff really sucks...
    Yes. It's the original. Hasn't changed in the last twenty- thirty years. My dad still uses it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoglio italianO View Post
    I bought some from WCS and instead of saying Shulton it said P&G on the back :-( but WCS said it's the old formula from shulton still made in India. So why does the Indian one I have say made by P&G weird...

Any other US vendors besides WCS sell the Old Spice from India all the stuff deodorant,shave cream,aftershaves,talcum ?
    Go to an indian grocery store. You will find lots of godrej and Palmolive products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have bottles of the original Shulton OS from the 80's and the made in India versions. There are slight differences between the two. The original seems to have a bit of extra richness and spiciness that the MII version doesn't quite nail down.

The MII is quite good though and the fresh lime version is nice. The lime lasts about 2 hours then dries down to the regular OS scent.