Code of Conduct

Default Affordable Niche

Being new to the world of frags, I don't have a whole lot of experience with niche houses. From what I gather though they're the ones making the most interesting and highest quality perfumes. Are there any good niche houses out there that are more affordable? The Creeds and Kilians and Amouges of the world are all fine and good but I just don't have the money to treat those like impulse buys. Any underground houses worth looking at?

Default Re: Affordable Niche

L'Occitane Eau de Baux, Frank 2 Los Angeles & Brecourt Esprit Mondain are all good fragrances under $75. I'm not sure what your definition of affordable is. I could probably give you better suggestions with a dollar limit.

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier & L'Artisan Parfumeur are affordable.

I find Frapin and Diptyque rather affordable.

Comme des Garçons has many.

Etat Libre d'Orange fragrances are relatively reasonable. Parfums di Nicolai also has small sizes that are quite affordable.

Blog Entries

You can find Serge Lutens for $73+ which is cheaper than some designers.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Sound Scents

Padparadscha by Satellite is an outstanding fiery/spicy composition over a sandalwood base that sells for $80 a 100 ml bottle.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Encre Noire. It's creative and contra-mainstream.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Member

Buy decants, solves your problem.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Desert marocain is a great niche and very affordable

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    I agree with this. Check Amazon for Serge Lutens.

Knize, Hugh Parsons, occasional discounts on CDG and Serge Lutens, the Blu Mediterraneo range by ADP are comparatively affordable, as well as some of the exclusive, almost niche-like lines by established designer houses.

Caron (Pour un homme, Le 3e Homme) is great and very affordable.

I appreciate the help guys, I pulled the trigger on some Montale Black Aoud. Lilydirect was selling them for just over $100 and I've heard great things about the brand and good things about the seller. My blind buying experience thus far has been positive. Hopefully the streak continues. I want to get my hands on some of the Comme Des Garcons, anybody know where I could go try them out?

Quote Originally Posted by kaizer121 View Post
    I appreciate the help guys, I pulled the trigger on some Montale Black Aoud. Lilydirect was selling them for just over $100 and I've heard great things about the brand and good things about the seller. My blind buying experience thus far has been positive. Hopefully the streak continues. I want to get my hands on some of the Comme Des Garcons, anybody know where I could go try them out?
    Hmm. Your brave. Its a love or hate fragrances. You must like roses for this one.
    My girlfriend hates it.

I bought a 100ml surrati black oudh haha, cheaper and smells as good.

For your 1st niche I would of gone for something more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by NenMaster View Post
    Hmm. Your brave. Its a love or hate fragrances. You must like roses for this one.
    My girlfriend hates it.

I bought a 100ml surrati black oudh haha, cheaper and smells as good.

For your 1st niche I would of gone for something more versatile.
    Oh I might not have made it clear, this isn't my very first niche. I wear GIT more days than not and I have (of all things) a bottle of Straight to Heaven by Kilian. I love them both but I figure I can't really be going out and dropping that kind of money regularly to satisfy my frag needs.

I feel a hell of a lot better dropping $110 for a Montale than I do dropping another $225 for a Kilian. Plus my collection was lacking an oud so I was looking to fill the gap.

Having said that $110 isn't cheap either, so I was looking for some cheaper but more exotic options than the de riguer designer frags
    Last edited by kaizer121; 24th April 2013 at 09:25 PM.

I think Barney's has CDG fragrances to test...I was told this by another BaseNoter. I don't know for sure myself but you can always call your local Barney's and ask first.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I think Barney's has CDG fragrances to test...I was told this by another BaseNoter. I don't know for sure myself but you can always call your local Barney's and ask first.
    I have only been to the Barney's in Las Vegas and they have just about all of the Comme des Garcons. They have many more than are listed on the Barney's website, like Amazingreen (which is FAR from amazing IMO), Hinoki, Dover Street, Standard, Green Black and Red Play, The Guerillas, Luxe Series: Champaca and Patchouli, and the Energy C's, along with all that they have listed on their site. I guess I should say that the last time I was there they HAD them, I don't know if they still do, but I was there about 1 1/2 months ago, so they should. You can call the Vegas Barneys and talk to Raul Delgado, he treats Basenoters great and he would probably send you some samples.

I love CDG, it's a great line. If you have a chance to go the Vegas Barneys they are all great and will treat you very well.

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    This. SL stuff is easily found at discounters for $80 or so.

Oh I might not have made it clear, this isn't my very first niche. I wear GIT more days than not and I have (of all things) a bottle of Straight to Heaven by Kilian. I love them both but I figure I can't really be going out and dropping that kind of money regularly to satisfy my frag needs.

I feel a hell of a lot better dropping $110 for a Montale than I do dropping another $225 for a Kilian. Plus my collection was lacking an oud so I was looking to fill the gap.

Having said that $110 isn't cheap either, so I was looking for some cheaper but more exotic options than the de riguer designer frags
    Try Nejma Aoud 1 or 2 - buy it off nejma's website - sells for Euro 40, not a bad deal at all for a 100ml of decently crafted oud based frag...

Atelie Cologne - affordable
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    This. SL stuff is easily found at discounters for $80 or so.
    Yeah, I just picked up a new bottle of Sultan for $65 or so from Fragrancenet.

OP: CdG's fairly widespread, so they shouldn't be too hard to find.

For inexpensive, you might also look into lines such as Tokyo Milk (the dark line mainly), Lush (Breath of God is quite niche-esque), Brecourt, Sonoma Scent, Smell Bent, etc. There's a whole world of creative, artistic scents out there beyond the safe "designer+" of Creed, Kilian, Bond etc. Not all are crazy pricey, and oftentimes, you can score killer deals.

Parfums d'Empire
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Both the Beverly Hills and New York City locations do at least.

Get the Creed and Bond 9 testers, instead. No cap or box, but you can get a Creed or Bond 9 tester for around $100. Be sure to buy only from large suppliers with good ratings, and no feedback accusing them of fakes. You can get this feedback by googling the retailer under reliability ratings. Be sure to email the large retailer BEFORE you buy a Creed. Ask for the lot number on the bottom of the Creed tester. And insure that when they lift the sprayer cap, the parts UNDERNEATH the sprayer cap are white and not metal. If ANY retailer refuses to provide this information, DON'T buy. Also, buy only from those offering a money back guarantee. Good luck!

If you want real niche, I can second Parfum d'Empire. My friend buys fragrance ina supermarket normally, and was steered towards Yuzu Fou, which he loves. Many department stores (at least here in Britain) carry Comme des Garcons, Serge Lutens and Annick Goutal. Not sure how niche you find these, but they are a good place to start. Find a good perfume shop where they will decant samples for free even if you buy nothing, so you can spend on the one you really love.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Etat Libre d'Orange fragrances are relatively reasonable. Parfums di Nicolai also has small sizes that are quite affordable.
    Totally agree with this. U can add:
    1- Serge Lutens, for me the best niche in the market that gives
    value for the money.
    2- Jo Malone: they have affordable 30 ml bottles. Perfect.
    3- Caron. Probably the cheapest niche out there (if it is considered as one)

U can always try ebay for the above, sometimes u get steals

Comme de Garcons

A decant makes any of the niche affordable. My first was Tom Ford noir de noir, then I went for 100ml.

Where do I go to get such decants?

Where do I go to get such decants?
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/142-...e-Splits-Board

I never noticed this. Thank you, sincerely. I have to say, between what I'm seeing in my posts, and what I'm seeing on the splits board, outside of the endless Aventus threads the Basenotes community is outstanding. I'm really glad to be a part of it.

well I just got a chance to go to my local barneys to test out the CdG line, and walked out with a bottle of wonderwood, and an intent to buy CdG2 man in the future. excellent ingredients and I love the woody spiciness of wonderwood, something surprising since I typically hate spicy scents. next on my list: CdG2 man and some good (affordable) leather scent.