Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default How to know if a fragrance is a fake one?

Good morning Bners.
    As the title said how to know if a Fragrance sold is a real or a fake one?
    I say this because there are now many individuals and non official retail stores which are selling fragrances.
    I'm interested in buying some fragrance I saw (Dior eau sauvage, Drakkar noir, YSL L'homme...) but I want to know if there is a way to know if it's a good one or a fake I buy.

Default Re: How to know if a fragrance is a fake one?

I'm sure there are tell-tale signs: Sloppy lettering, malformed glass containers, slipshod atomizers plus many more.

Banned

Are you going to be buying from ebay?
    Which unofficial store are you speaking of? You can search for a review/rating of that site online, too.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'm sure there are tell-tale signs: Sloppy lettering, malformed glass containers, slipshod atomizers plus many more.
    So if everything is fine with those details then the fragrance is real?

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Are you going to be buying from ebay?
    Which unofficial store are you speaking of? You can search for a review/rating of that site online, too.
    I'm not talking about online stores, I'm talking about some stores owned by individuals in my city which are selling fragrances.

Banned

Do they have a stationary store or are they street vendors. If stationary, then why dont you ask him if he guarantees his items?
    If going to buy dior eau sauvage, Look for the magnetic cap. It would be very hard to counterfeit that bottle I believe.

Basenotes Member

They are stationary stores. Okay i'll check, I heard we can check too with the barcode, is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by ruknelly View Post
    They are stationary stores. Okay i'll check, I heard we can check too with the barcode, is that right?
    barcode doesn't tell you if fragrance real or not. same as batch number. Nobody can really verify if the batch number real or not except distributor and manufacture which I doubt they will answer your question if you ever ask them. Even those website that said can tell you when the fragrance was manufactured, they get it wrong all the time, they database never gets updated.

One way is to compare the packaging. In 7 years doing parallel importing for fragrances, I have never find one single fake fragrance that can print packaging exactly like the original one and the difference actually quite obvious. But real fragrance also change packaging, sometimes the colour a bit off when you compare one particular fragrance that was manufactured 5 years ago with the recent release. Take Obsession for example, 5 years ago the box will look a bit darker compare to what is available now but the feel is still the same. The fake one will never have the same feeling as the original one. It is totally have different feeling when you hold it.

Assuming you have never seen the original, you can look at the bottle. So far we can always tell even if we never seen the original product by looking at how the bottle was made. Fake fragrance have cheap looking bottle, scratches, asymmetric, dent, cloudy, dirty, etc. Pay attention to printed font on bottle. The fake one always have problem with the printing on bottle. Pay attention to stickers at the bottom of bottle. The spray unit and the straw inside bottle.

And the last thing, the smell. Well, you can't really fool someone else nose. There are 2 types, one that smell completely different and the diluted one. Easy to recognise the first type but for diluted fragrance the scent normally doesn't last more than 10-15 minutes.

Forget about shaking method, batch number matching, looking for engraved batch number, etc... These signs easy to copy.

Some brand does have specific security feature, eg: hugo boss with invisible ink inside the box, can be seen using black/UV light. Acqua di Gio for Men will have numbers glowing at the exposure of black/UV light (50ml and 100ml only).

Basenotes Member

Wow, what a response

Re: How to know if a fragrance is a fake one?

Originally Posted by hednic
    Quote Originally Posted by ruknelly View Post
    So if everything is fine with those details then the fragrance is real?

The original juice can still be removed by syringe & alcohol added...Also, if the bottle's w/o sealed packaging & if the spray has a screw mechanism, its easy to remove the juice...

I have to spray some of it, and give i a while, fake fragrance smell disappear pretty fast.

Basenotes Member

Then badarun it's hard to know by the way you talking which frag is real or fake when buying with a individual.

Believe it or not,
    I have seen some Clive Christian Knock offs
    in a 100% matching bottles. The smell is so close.
    The only way I could tell it is fake
    Because they were selling it for 70% less than the retail price.
    For me if u can afford the luxury to buy a perfume,
    It would make more sense to go only for the authorized retialers
    and have a piece od mind.
    I used to by fakes if they smell reasonablly close to the real scent
    But i found out that m only burning my money,
    So bettern to burn em for something good

Buy online from good but discounted retailers. That is the best alternative.

On the other hand, if you MUST buy from those stores in your city, then try the perfumes before buying.

If it is a cheap fragrance, no one will bother making a knock-off. If its expensive, I suggest paying a little more and getting it from an authorized distributor.

There is more than just if it is fake - it could be authentic, but may have been stored improperly - exposed to heat or light for long periods of time, etc.

For the ones you mention, I would just take a really close look at them and the packaging - oftentimes the shrink wrap is sloppy which may indicate it was at least opened and resealed. But if you are suspicious, I would suggest getting them from a store you don't have any concerns about. Piece of mind is worth a few extra bucks IMO.

Blog Entries

the label says "GREEN FRICH TWEED"
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Other than cosmetic tell-tale signs (bottle looks odd, sprayer is of a different color than the ones sold at reputable retailers), the scent would also be off (if you had smell it from a reputable shop beforehand) and of course the price itself; a chanel edition blanche at $25 is too good to be true.

I've knowingly bought a fake Dior Homme Intense though. I have the original so it was easy to tell. However the reason I purchased it is because the scent is actually pretty good, a citrusy DHI. Bought for 400baht.

Quote Originally Posted by salim96 View Post
    Believe it or not,
    I wouldn't say it is fake if it's 70% off RRP. Well, at least not by looking at the price alone.

I have a reliable connection with a very well known authorised distributor. This company is an exclusive distributor for Hugo Boss, Anna Sui, Issey Miyake fragrances in this particular country. This is how designer fragrances is priced:

take the RRP and manufacture cost is between 3-4%.

Fragrance house works by Coef 2, 3 and 4 pricing.

Price from manufacture to distributor is normally at Coef 4, means RRP divide by 4

Price from distributor to retailers is Coef 2, means RRP divide by 2. Volume discount for retailers is somewhere between Coef 2 and Coef 3.

Authorised resellers charged at RRP. In the event of over supply / sale, distributor are allowed to lower their price up to Coef 4. Means sell it at no margin. There will be kick back such as marketing or target bonus, etc...

This calculation is based on the above brand but most fragrance house follow similar rule if not the same.
    Last edited by fragrance_addiction; 29th April 2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: typo

The label says Bleue L'Heure instead of L'Heure Bleue

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by salim96 View Post
    Believe it or not,
    I have to respectfully disagree completely with this. I have been an avid collector of fragrances, and you can find every genuine fragrance for much, much less than 'retail' Understand that it costs on average about $8 for the juice, $6-$10 for the bottle, and Creed or Bond no 9 charges $300+ The individuals/retailers selling it for 70% off are still making money!!! If one goes into smelling a fragrance convinced it is fake, their brain will tell them it is even when it is a genuine product. Just look at the terror stricken newbies posting questions about their GIT/Aventus possibly being fake!!! I remember a guy awhile back swearing that his bottle of Creed he bought from Neiman Marcus was fake. Every fake I have ever smelled did not smell anything close to genuine. Not even close. I have never paid retail, The closest was 83% retail for my Amouage Tribute 30ml.
    You don't even make sense when you say you know something is fake b/c even though the box, bottle and juice are perfect, the price proves it is fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree completely with this. I have been an avid collector of fragrances, and you can find every genuine fragrance for much, much less than 'retail' Understand that it costs on average about $8 for the juice, $6-$10 for the bottle, and Creed or Bond no 9 charges $300+ The individuals/retailers selling it for 70% off are still making money!!! If one goes into smelling a fragrance convinced it is fake, their brain will tell them it is even when it is a genuine product. Just look at the terror stricken newbies posting questions about their GIT/Aventus possibly being fake!!! I remember a guy awhile back swearing that his bottle of Creed he bought from Neiman Marcus was fake. Every fake I have ever smelled did not smell anything close to genuine. Not even close. I have never paid retail, The closest was 83% retail for my Amouage Tribute 30ml.
    You don't even make sense when you say you know something is fake b/c even though the box, bottle and juice are perfect, the price proves it is fake.
    Nicely put.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Understand that it costs on average about $8 for the juice, $6-$10 for the bottle, and Creed or Bond no 9 charges $300+
    This type of thinking pops up quite often on Basenotes. What you fail to consider is research & development. You only account for variable costs, not the fixed costs that go into running a company. Salaries, Rent, R&D, Insurance, Marketing, Web Development, etc... These are all costs that need to be absorbed whether they sell 1 bottle or 1,000,000. The fewer units they sell, the higher the fixed cost / bottle will be. Creed / Bond probably do not sell nearly the units that get sold by the designers in Macy's, so their costs / bottle are higher.

Trust me - if anyone could just start selling juice for $300 that only cost them $15-$18 to produce, there would be a LOT more people in the business.

CologneFan85

Stay off Ebay

no one will ever sell Aventus 120ml for $15 but I wouldn't jump to conclude it as fake if I see someone selling it around $100-ish.

distributors get desperate too. On one hand they have order commitment and on the other hand the stocks are stacking in their warehouse. This is the most common reason why there is parallel import fragrance in the beginning.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    This type of thinking pops up quite often on Basenotes. What you fail to consider is research & development. You only account for variable costs, not the fixed costs that go into running a company. Salaries, Rent, R&D, Insurance, Marketing, Web Development, etc... These are all costs that need to be absorbed whether they sell 1 bottle or 1,000,000. The fewer units they sell, the higher the fixed cost / bottle will be. Creed / Bond probably do not sell nearly the units that get sold by the designers in Macy's, so their costs / bottle are higher.

Trust me - if anyone could just start selling juice for $300 that only cost them $15-$18 to produce, there would be a LOT more people in the business.
    I've been around long enough to know that not just any joe could sell a mix of notes for $300...My point is the profit they make on poor suckers who pay retail, or worse, inflated retail from their boutique/website more than makes up for the lower profit margin they make on the 'discount sites, overstocks, etc. It's the same with automobiles...I know suckers who have paid sticker price for ever vehicle they own, BUT I research online what the dealer actually paid for it, offer that price plus a small, fair profit, and save thousands. It just boils down to how much you want to throw your money away.

Basenotes Member

I'm interested right now in designer's fragrances like Dior, JPG and others. Niche perfumes are too expensive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fragrance_addiction View Post
    I wouldn't say it is fake if it's 70% off RRP. Well, at least not by looking at the price alone.

I have a reliable connection with a very well known authorised distributor. This company is an exclusive distributor for Hugo Boss, Anna Sui, Issey Miyake fragrances in this particular country. This is how designer fragrances is priced:

take the RRP and manufacture cost is between 3-4%.

Fragrance house works by Coef 2, 3 and 4 pricing.

Price from manufacture to distributor is normally at Coef 4, means RRP divide by 4

Price from distributor to retailers is Coef 2, means RRP divide by 2. Volume discount for retailers is somewhere between Coef 2 and Coef 3.

Authorised resellers charged at RRP. In the event of over supply / sale, distributor are allowed to lower their price up to Coef 4. Means sell it at no margin. There will be kick back such as marketing or target bonus, etc...

This calculation is based on the above brand but most fragrance house follow similar rule if not the same.
    Are you talking about my country? If yes which distributor are you talking about? And here the ones I know don't make reductions.