Code of Conduct

Default have you been assumed of being a smoker just by wearing a tobacco based fragrance?

I have Burberry London on my arm right now and that was the first thing that popped in my mind

Default Re: have you been assumed of being a smoker just by wearing a tobacco based fragrance?

Yes, while wearing Tobacco Vanille my friend was convinced I had just smoked a pipe. He couldn't believe it was a perfume.

Blog Entries

Default Re: have you been assumed of being a smoker just by wearing a tobacco based fragrance?

A Sales Assistant (female) asked if I'm a smoker when I sampled CK One Shock for Him.

A coworker thought I just smoked a cigar after using Murdock's Bright Leaf.

No. To me cigar or cigarette smoke smells like smoke and ashes. It doesn't smell like tobacco. Smoking a pipe does have the tobacco vibe but a smoky tobacco not a fresh tobacco to my nose.

There is a perfume, a very rare perfume, that smells just like cigarette ashes. It is the pure smell of ashes. I forgot its name and it was given to me (a 1ml sample) by a generous basenoter. It has a foreign name, in german, if I remember correctly. The guy send it to me after I wrote a glowing review of Knize Ten. (Knize Ten also smells like ashes, but the ashes are hidden behind the other powerful notes)

- - - Updated - - -

KOLNISCH JUCHTEN is the name.

Blog Entries

Sorry to bring up another Aventus story, but it has a very strong "ash" note that reminds me of a used cigarette ashtray. I thought somebody was smoking but I realized it was me when I was alone and kept smelling that ash note. I've never experienced it before until three weeks ago, when I sprayed two different batches on me (2011 on my chest, and 2012 on my neck). Weird.

As an ex (heavy) smoker, this used to concern me. It doesn't anymore. There's a marked difference between the tobacco I've come up against in fragrances and actual cigarette 'smoke' or ash, which is what smokers tend to smell of. Maybe the distinction isn't as marked for cigars/pipes, I'm not sure?

Nope.

Being in the medical field and having seen first hand what tobacco smoking can do to a person, I think that I developed an aversion to anything related to tobacco. I stay away from colognes that have tobacco notes.

That said, I don't think I'd mistake a tobacco scent for smoking. Smoking scent has its own distictive reak, IMHO.

JC

I get a bit of an ashtray vibe from French Lover....

But no one has accused me of being a smoker... Generally Tobacco frags smell of unsmoked tobacco anyhow.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

No, never.

No. Nor have I ever been assumed of wearing a tobacco fragrance just because I am a smoker

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

never.

Nope. On a side note, I would say the closest fragrance I wore resembling the smell of a cigarette/cigarette smoker, is Ambrarem by Histoires de Parfums.

Another yes, with 1740, usually it's just the first thing that cross their minds, the 'smell like' syndrome, but then they realize it's not actually cigarretes.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Never.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

ELdO Jasmin et Cigarette really does have an ashtray note.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yes - hence why I dont' wear them.

I HOPE NOT!
    I love both vintage Miss Balmain and Diorling, both smoky with some tobacco. A good way to tell I guess would be to ask, or to sniff my blouse after wearing it.

Lots of frags that smell like tobacco leaves and pipe tobacco, but I've never smelled any frag that smelled like a cigar or cigarette, or a person who was or had just smoked a cigar or cigaratte.

Guys, I've told you, KOLNISCH JUCHTEN is the name.

When wearing Norne, somebody asked me if I smelled something burning.

I've also been accused of drinking while wearing Sova.

Perfumes with tobacco or smoke notes don't smell like you've just smoked.

for swap/sale:

Closest I got to a "is someone smoking?" scent is Lonestar Memories, but it smells of a more wood-fire than tobacco smoke.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

No, because most of the tobacco fragrances I have owned and worn only marginally smell like unsmoked/unburnt tobacco.