Code of Conduct

Default Allergic reaction

I bought a full bottle of Profumi del Forte's Ambra Mediterranea a couple of months ago from Liberty. I absolutely love it, but when I wear it my eyes sting and water slightly. I spray it on my wrists and chest. I don't have this reaction to any other frag and I think I'm going to have to stop using it and sell it. Does anyone else have this kind of problem with a frag they love?

Default Re: Allergic reaction

Fortunately, that never happened. Feel bad for you on that one bro. Especially if it's something you like.

My coworker was so happy to buy Orange Blossom by Jo Malone, only to find out that her husband is allergic to it. His throat felt itchy and he had serious hives after sniffing it. He tried sniffing it again later - same result. She'll still wear it, though

JC

Luckily have never been allergic to any fragrance I own.

I have had the stinging/watery eyes and nose you speak of with a few fragrances, but the only cologne I've ever actually had to stop using was Hermes D'Orange Vert Concentre. It caused a definite red rash for several days wherever I sprayed it.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ns-L-deCerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I got a red rash from Un Lys when I sprayed a lot. When I use just a little it seems to be ok.

Never. yet.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Its never happened to me.

Basenotes Member

I get cold symptoms from Gucci PH I and Carbone de Balmain. A shame since I love them both but something in them sends me the wrong way.

IFRA, where are you?
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

I do have allergic reactions to Jar, Jarling. I have a very sensitive skin and is prone to allergy. However, in this case, it might be due to the difference in batch production.

The 1st one is a sample from surrender to chance. I fine with that. Perhaps because i used it very little as i only dabbed it on my wrist and it came in a small vial.

The 2nd one, I got it from a split with a roller bottle. Every time I used it on my neck, wrist or any part of my body, it burns my skin and left red rashes. But still i endure it because i love the scent so much. Also sometimes i used vaseline first before using the perfume to minimize the burning sensation. It helps a bit or maybe not, i don't really care hehehe. Still, i feel the burn and have the red rashes. Out of the 2ml i think i've used half ( I know i'm nuts )

Finally, I bought a full bottle with the help of a friend from Paris. Instead of transferring them to a spray or roller bottle, I dared myself and splash them directly to my neck. Luckily, I'm fine with no rashes nor burning sensations.

Now, I'm trying to give the decant bottle away to my friends. But all of them refused by saying I'm an evil person who try and harm them lol.

Other than that, i've never had any allergic reaction to any other perfumes.

PS: I might have triggered an allergic reaction when using black afgano and black aoud. But this time, it's my friends who's allergic to me since they find it too vile hahaha
    Last edited by andreas2x; 25th April 2013 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baiyouli View Post
    I got a red rash from Un Lys when I sprayed a lot. When I use just a little it seems to be ok.
    I get a red reaction to some scents, but it goes away in about an hour.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

One of my favorite perfumes and no reaction.

for swap/sale:

Red rash from various Serge Lutens perfumes, but not sure rather is the alcohol base or the ingredients.

Does the reaction go away in a few minutes, or does it continue as long as you're wearing the fragrance? If the former, I'd probably just suck it up if I loved the fragrance.

I'm lucky to have had no reactions so far, except once when I wore a perfume (I can't remember which one) and then was out in the sun for a couple of hours. Got a slight prickly rash, but it went away quickly. I've heard that's pretty common.

Happened to me with Idole de Lubin edp. Had crazy itchy eyes everytime i wore it or sampled it. It took me a few wearings to figure out that it was causing the rxn. It was sort of the feeling of being exposed to a very small amount of pepper spray.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Happened to me with Idole de Lubin edp. Had crazy itchy eyes everytime i wore it or sampled it. It took me a few wearings to figure out that it was causing the rxn. It was sort of the feeling of being exposed to a very small amount of pepper spray.
    The exact same thing happened to me with Idole - cough, itchy eyes and face (even when applied on shirt - I never spray onto skin as I am quite sensitive to a lot of stuff in general). I know from patch testing that cinnamon and cloves (in abundance in Idole) give me this reaction in addition to real oakmoss, ylang ylang, jasmine, geranium, benzoin, and strong citrus.

I think that explains my preference for woody, leathery and oudy stuff.

If anyone from IFRA is reading, please note how those few who were affected decided not to keep spraying themselves ad infinitum - they learnt to self-regulate, in other words.

Yeah, my eyes are still watery today. If I spray the Ambra Mediterranea on my wrists only, it's fine. But I don't think I can spray it on my torso. It's a real shame as I love the smell and it cost me £140 a bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    How often do you get sprayed with mace?

I've never had that reaction but I'm instantly congested with some scents and it ruins it. Ones like TdH do nothing but if anyone is around with Light Blue PH I get a reaction. I've made myself sick testing before because some oils have just ruined my sinuses.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

My wife gets some weird reactions to some in my collection which I had a real hard time understanding until yesterday. I put a fragrance on that I've worn before without incident and my nose, throat, eyes and chest burned like as if I'd shoved my head in a giant vat of Icy Hot. Luckily it was a scent with poor longevity and wore off within a few hours. Later I put on another scent I have worn before without any problems and BOOM...the same thing. It's crazy, I've never had anything like that happen before. Hopefully it's the new medication that they have me taking for the next 8 weeks and nothing more causing the sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragmeister View Post
    I bought a full bottle of Profumi del Forte's Ambra Mediterranea a couple of months ago from Liberty. I absolutely love it, but when I wear it my eyes sting and water slightly. I spray it on my wrists and chest. I don't have this reaction to any other frag and I think I'm going to have to stop using it and sell it. Does anyone else have this kind of problem with a frag they love?
    Actually, is this really an allergic reaction? If you spray on your wrists and keep smelling it, do your eyes still sting and water? I am wondering if some component (spices?) is irritating your mucous membranes.

IFRA's restrictions has got to do with skin irritation.