Code of Conduct

Thread: Vero Mito

treeman5823

Default Vero Mito

This is an exceptionally beautiful perfume. It's like Cristalle, Diorella, and Chypre rolled up into one, and is, in my opinion, one of the great chypres of all time.

What do you guys think of it?

Default Re: Vero Mito

Hi treeman,
    I have noticed your name. You have good taste. ^^
    Have you tried Sous le Vent and how does it compare?
    I love Sous le Vent dearly, but haven't tried Mito as I have no chance to try it here. Ordering a sample is something I have gotten very reluctant to do recently. Vero Kern and I do not really get along too well when it comes to her creations, so I was not hopeful. The few blog reviews that are more focused on facts make it sound as it could be a 'meh' for me. Collective 'hyping' is something that always makes it feel suspicious to me. I can see the appeal of Cristalle, less so of Diorella. So, I have concluded the Guerlain treatment in Sous le Vent is perfect for me.

treeman5823

Hi Larimar--unfortunately, our situations are inverted: I have never smelled Sous le Vent, as I could never find it in the many stores I loiter. Anyway, Mito is unlike her other creations in that it feels more like a melange of multiple chypre types as opposed to a single novel form. So yes, Mito is derivative, but it is built for the "and" person: cake 'and' pie, Cristalle 'and' Diorella. I love it, though, and I think you should try it.

Post Thanks / Like

From another Thread: I tried it pre-launch and wrote a more 'poetic' review that went onto Vero's website along with others who had received samples.

It strikes me as an aromatic green that morphs into a soft oriental in the latter stages - quite trippy, actually.

Citrus and galbanum wake-up call with maybe a hint of verbena, then the floral notes (which I can't individually identify) and a herbal aromatic mix that makes me think briefly of couple of freshly cut stalks of lemongrass - it evolves thru a host of bright and then subtly shaded, mossy greenery and then opens up into a discreet but quite amazing, almost oriental styled ending that suggests maybe a soft benzoin or something along those lines - no mention in the notes supplied, I have no idea how this is achieved, absolutely beautiful. I like it a lot - will be chasing down a bottle when it's available.

Will buy it when I next do a LS bulk order - and looking forward to the Extrait version in the works. I consider Mito EDP amongst the top handful of releases of 2012 - it's perfume for grown-ups.

treeman5823

Alright Larimar, I got my hands on some Sous le Vent so I could report back to you. Sous le Vent is really nothing like Mito; SlV is pretty much a dry, slightly floral, straight up chypre (without much or any oakmoss, mind you), while Mito is, like I wrote earlier, a melange of three distinct chypre types: the merciless green chypre in the Cristalle mold, an abstract floral chypre like Diorella, and a straight chypre (in the drydown) based on amber and oakmoss. I prefer Mito, myself.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Mito to me is on the same track as her previous scent Kiki....the lavender one, just this one is more complex, it does not have lavender as a note...and longevity is no issue here....

i really fell for Mito....because its beautiful gorgeous refreshing green, scent, i would not call it chypre...it reminds me of perfectly sweetened lemonade juice with some...minty pine in it...but on my last wearing....something was wrong there for the first time...it smelled somehow soapy...something in there popped out....i thought it will be perfect summer scent now that warm weather just arrived something happened......must test it again but have worn it several times during the winter time and was absolutely fascinated...but now cautious....

Oh thanks treeman! Interesting to your read your assessment! There is oakmoss listed on the ingredients label for Sous le Vent and the first edition (I have described the subtle difference in another Sous le Vent thread before) seems to have a rather prominent verbena (natural smelling to me) note, which was substituted later (regulations - but it's a subtle change, also making Sous le Vent slightly less dry, more juicy lime instead of verbena, grassy dryness).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is a lovely, interesting thread treeman. Thank You for your reviews of Mito Mr Reasonable, iivanita, and for the discission of Sous Le Vent Larimar. I haven't tried Mito yet, but you have reminded me that I must.... soon.

Post Thanks / Like

For a sample of Mito, please check SaNielsen's post (#579B) on Free to a Good Home (CONUS only though).
    Last edited by Twolf; 27th April 2013 at 01:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The sample lot with Mito is now spoken for. Peace, Lisa
    Last edited by SaNielsen; 27th April 2013 at 05:15 PM.

Very interesting thread. Cristalle is OK, but I love Diorella. Will have to give this a sniff when I come across it.

@Larimar, thank you! for the heads up regarding SLV. The verbena turned me off from what I otherwise thought was a beautiful perfume. Lime is great, so I'll have to smell this again when I get to a Guerlain boutique that carries it (the nearest doesn't, surprisingly - no Vega, no Liu, no SLV!)
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

treeman5823

Ok, perhaps my primary assessment wasn't as sober as it should have been. Mito is indeed gorgeous, but I retract my statement that it is one of the greatest chypres. It is nicely done, surely, but I'd rather have Diorella. I still urge you guys to smell it.

Well, I adore the drier verbena Sous le Vent myself. That's what I have in my back-up cave.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Well, I adore the drier verbena Sous le Vent myself. That's what I have in my back-up cave.
    Yes, I'm wearing SlV right now, and it is great.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just spent a few days in Rome and had a sample of Mito with me- it turned out to be the perfect fragrance for that wonderful city in this time of the year. Lush with white flowers blooming and with hints of freshness, monumental and a bit decadent like the city itself. I can't say I love it enough to buy a FB but I've enjoyed my sample a lot
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, I was today in Rome too and stopped by Campomarzio 70, which is one of the few sellers of Vero Kern. I didn't try it this time, but I did last year. I like Mito a lot too - though, as ivanita, I would not call it chypre. It simply doesn't have enough of the chypre structure of vintage Diorella or Cristalle. And it is much more green vegetal than Diorella (though it does have the green-ness of Cristalle). It could be on my to buy list, but I'm waiting for now to see if she comes out with a parfum version (her Onda parfum is fantastic - so who knows).

If forced to choose, I'd still prefer her Onda, though.

cacio

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Funny, I was today in Rome too and stopped by Campomarzio 70, which is one of the few sellers of Vero Kern. I didn't try it this time, but I did last year. I like Mito a lot too - though, as ivanita, I would not call it chypre. It simply doesn't have enough of the chypre structure of vintage Diorella or Cristalle. And it is much more green vegetal than Diorella (though it does have the green-ness of Cristalle). It could be on my to buy list, but I'm waiting for now to see if she comes out with a parfum version (her Onda parfum is fantastic - so who knows).

cacio
    Onda is fantastic.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio

Yes so true, her perfumes are all better, veeeeeeeery expensive though. And i figured it out, that same soapy note i found in Mito is much more pronounced in rubj edp, which i liked in the winter too:-) .....kiki only is without it but longevity is an issue there.....pure perfumes are much nicer, they dont have the soapy note but i would like them be even stronger-rubj and kiki esp. and i agree Onda is the real deal.......one of few real leather stuff:-) out there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    For a sample of Mito, please check SaNielsen's post (#579B) on Free to a Good Home (CONUS only though).
    Quote Originally Posted by SaNielsen View Post
    The sample lot with Mito is now spoken for. Peace, Lisa
    I got it and only briefly whiffed it. Was it your favorite of that lot, Lisa?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved Mito when I smelled it prior to being released (a BN buddy got a sample from her). Really enjoyed it. But it was not a full wearing, only a dab on my hand. I cannot wait to give it a full wearing.

I didn't know, as mr. reasonable pointed out above, that an extrait was in the works. Ooh, how lovely to hear.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    This is a lovely, interesting thread treeman. Thank You for your reviews of Mito Mr Reasonable, iivanita, and for the discussion of Sous Le Vent Larimar. I haven't tried Mito yet, but you have reminded me that I must.... soon.
    Do also sample the extrait, which has been released in Sep. I haven't tried it yet but am very much looking forward to it. I like the EdP but prefer the extrait version of all other creations by Mme Kern.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't care for it - it was just lemon on me.

Meanwhile I tried Mito EdP in Paris last summer. It was kind of 'meh' to me. I blamed it on the cypress and a too polished accord that was neither floral galore, nor resfreshlingly citric with a 'camphorous' note I am not fond of.