Code of Conduct

Default Wear what you enjoy. Oh really? A revelation

This other day when I was taking a bus to work. During one stop, a guy who is clearly a hobo stepped onto the bus. This guy must have not taken a shower in YEARS. I was sitting near the middle of the bus and I could smell his piss stench when he was still at the front. The seat next to me was empty and as he walked towards me I prayed that he does not sit down next to me. Thank god he decided to just stand by the rear exit, but the smell he was projecting was absolutely disgusting. At the next stop, the bus driver got up and asked the guy to get off. After he did, the entire bus applauded for the driver, who then had to spray air freshener to get rid of the stench.

What made me realize is the scent you put on inevitably invades other people's private space. Say you wear Kouros in public which some have compared it to urinal cake, it is bound to make people around you gag, no matter how much you enjoy it and how confident it makes you feel. So please, think for people around you the next time you are going to wear a "bold" scent in public.

Default Re: Wear what you enjoy. Oh really? A revelation

You're comparing a smelly ass hobo, that stinks of piss to a perfume? If the guy was freshly showered and wearing Kouros do you think he would have been kicked off the bus?

I have always feared Kouros Bashers.

Strange comparison. But you learn well young Jedi.

Once I wore five sprays of Ambre Sultan at the Symphony Hall in Boston, and it was a disaster. The guy next to me kept fanning himself during the entire performance.

Before I knew the power of New Haarlem I must have put on about 5 - 6 sprays. I was at Costco later that day and heard a couple of women about 10 feet away say, "Oh wow it smells so good, I think they are making cinnamon buns." I was really hoping they were making cinnamon buns. Costco was not making cinnamon buns.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

I'm very conservative in sprays...usually 1 spray .

I don't know how many times I've smelled someone wearing too much of a powdery/sweet/woody scent, and it's unpleasant. I don't wear much, usually one full spray, but if someone can't handle that, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    You're comparing a smelly ass hobo, that stinks of piss to a perfume? If the guy was freshly showered and wearing Kouros do you think he would have been kicked off the bus?
    Agree, not a fair comparison.

Everything you wrote made a good sense to me until you named Kouros!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Oh well - it is your prerogative whether or not you wish to hide yourself away.
    Though I am unsure about your motivation in encouraging others to follow your example and do the same.

And I note that the main "offenders" of this scent invading private spaces "problem" don't get a mention - i.e. women.
    Regards,
    Renato

Apparently in your social circle you cannot enjoy yourself. Too bad for you.

for swap/sale:

I never douse myself with strong scents. I always get nice compliments.

Scent can be like sound. A screeching, crying baby is music to his parents ears, yet others around think it's horrid noise.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    In my social circle we believe in enjoy ourselves but not at the detriment if others.

I believe it is a fair comparison since the hobo obviously had no problem with how he smelled, but we all did

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    This reminds me of the SA who said, "this is the scent for you, you'll smell like everyone else." I would still wear that scent (don't remember which one) if I enjoyed it, however.

Banned
    Blog Entries

kouros is pretty bad though

I like to be bold sometimes, not caring about other peoples reactions. Sometimes I wear 10 sprays of Polo Green. 5 sprays of Ambre Sultan to the neck, Or 15 sprays of Eau Sauvage. I just feel like making a statement. I smell, therefore, I exist.

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    In my social circle we believe in enjoy ourselves but not at the detriment if others.

I believe it is a fair comparison since the hobo obviously had no problem with how he smelled, but we all did
    Its not a fair comparison. Its a really dumb comparison.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I agree with that part about not invading another's private space, be it intentional or otherwise. But how extended is one's personal space? I'd say no more than a foot. In a packed commuter's train, this rule is clearly suspended. I'd much rather smell another's SotD than the stink of BO & sweat-soaked pits.

Feel somewhat sorry for the hobo. He has as much right as anyone else to be on that bus. At the very least you could have offered him a decant. If anyone has problems with the way he smell they should get off at the nearest stop and wait for the next bus. Too bad for the driver though - he just have to tough it out as one of the job's 'hazards'.

This conversation comes up every now and then.

Basically, putting on a lot of cologne is forcing a sense onto other people and they have no choice to avoid it. You wouldn't walk around with your iPhone speaker on high and blast your favorite music and force everyone to listen would you?

A lot of people on this board go overboard.

First there is this obsession with wearing fragrance 24/7 everywhere. Leading people to think of what to wear to interviews, and god forbid, funerals.

Then there is the obsession with other people smelling you. Leading the ten sprayers...

Bottom line, you can enjoy this hobby without being a dick.

Yeah the metaphor is a bit off... But I agree that one should have a bit of reasonable discretion when applying fragrances. Even if you don't mind 8 sprays of DHI, other people might.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    And I note that the main "offenders" of this scent invading private spaces "problem" don't get a mention - i.e. women.
    "Men" in general didn't get a mention either. The person in the original example was a man, and so far most of those responding have been men, but other than that you're the only one who brought up gender. What's the difference?

In any case, in my experience, the overwhelming majority of people whose fragrance chokes those around them in the office, on trains, or at restaurants, have been men.

I've smelled Kouros on other people and I can't find it offensive.
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

"Just do what you enjoy". Sounds like an advice Britney Spears would give to her kid, or an advice Paris Hilton's mom gave her.

If this hobo did pay, what the driver did can get the city sued...I totally agree to this statement--->>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Feel somewhat sorry for the hobo. He has as much right as anyone else to be on that bus. If anyone has problems with the way he smell they should get off at the nearest stop and wait for the next bus.
    These guys live on the streets, the least we can do is not to be this offensive...

The way he smelled, I thought we are all going to get infected with mad cow bacteria

Quote Originally Posted by mtheory8 View Post
    Basically, putting on a lot of cologne is forcing a sense onto other people and they have no choice to avoid it. You wouldn't walk around with your iPhone speaker on high and blast your favorite music and force everyone to listen would you?
    You are right. Unfortunately I see many (teens) doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by mtheory8 View Post
    Bottom line, you can enjoy this hobby without being a dick.
    Agree.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    Before I knew the power of New Haarlem I must have put on about 5 - 6 sprays. I was at Costco later that day and heard a couple of women about 10 feet away say, "Oh wow it smells so good, I think they are making cinnamon buns." I was really hoping they were making cinnamon buns. Costco was not making cinnamon buns.
    This made me laugh so hard...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

The way he smelled, I thought we are all going to get infected with mad cow bacteria
    You should thank him next time you see him for inspiring the worst comparison of all time.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I almost never or never wear some of my scents public, especially not in confined/somehow cramped spaces like public transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    A screeching, crying baby is music to his parents ears.
    You don't have children, do you...?

Back on topic... common courtesy as people have noted is not not over impose on others, scent or otherwise...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

I think that no one should be allowed to wear MKK in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    "Men" in general didn't get a mention either. The person in the original example was a man, and so far most of those responding have been men, but other than that you're the only one who brought up gender. What's the difference?

In any case, in my experience, the overwhelming majority of people whose fragrance chokes those around them in the office, on trains, or at restaurants, have been men.
    That's right, I bought it up.
    What's your point - that I shouldn't have?

Please feel free to elaborate.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    Too funny
    Time has come to change your username to.... cinnamonbun

I douse myself in private, for testing purpose or fun! I'm very careful in public. But it's difficult to know if you're offending people, despite being very careful...
    The comparision made by the OP seems very extreme to me though.

- - - Updated - - -

A screeching, crying baby is music to his parents ears
    Hummm, dear Primrose, the first 10 minutes, in the delivery room... maybe. After that wonderful moment, the situation deserves futher analysis

You can always wear enough for you to only smell your fragrance a spray to your wrist can have you smelling your own wrist all day if you enjoy that scent without projecting.

I've only once choked out people around me and that was overspraying Norne, least they died happily in an enchanted forest, haha

Learned pretty quickly that Slumberhouse stuff is potent and should be approached with caution.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Not another one of these threads....
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I'm sure I've come across the 'women' that Renato is referring to, a little overdone, a little down market also perhaps. As I develop my sensory vocabulary however, none of that offends me anymore. It is as if a person wearing a loud scent is talking to me, telling me much about him or herself. I take note, try to identify and hopefully one day be able to say with aplomb; "Ah Arpege"!

Quote Originally Posted by Melvournis View Post
    I'm sure I've come across the 'women' that Renato is referring to, a little overdone, a little down market also perhaps. As I develop my sensory vocabulary however, none of that offends me anymore. It is as if a person wearing a loud scent is talking to me, telling me much about him or herself. I take note, try to identify and hopefully one day be able to say with aplomb; "Ah Arpege"!
    Nicely said Melv
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Once people on buses stop reeking of tobacco, sweat, fast food, weed, beer, cheap deodrants and start to keep their voices down, I will consider to not wear Kouros.

This other day when I was taking a bus to work. During one stop, a guy who is clearly a hobo stepped onto the bus. This guy must have not taken a shower in YEARS. I was sitting near the middle of the bus and I could smell his piss stench when he was still at the front. The seat next to me was empty and as he walked towards me I prayed that he does not sit down next to me. Thank god he decided to just stand by the rear exit, but the smell he was projecting was absolutely disgusting. At the next stop, the bus driver got up and asked the guy to get off. After he did, the entire bus applauded for the driver, who then had to spray air freshener to get rid of the stench.

What made me realize is the scent you put on inevitably invades other people's private space. Say you wear Kouros in public which some have compared it to urinal cake, it is bound to make people around you gag, no matter how much you enjoy it and how confident it makes you feel. So please, think for people around you the next time you are going to wear a "bold" scent in public.
    It's all down to application. You don't HAVE to invade other peoples space if you don't want to. Spraying only your chest under your shirt if a great way of doing this. AND it helps avoid nose fatigue and thus aids perceived longevity.

Sound Scents

First off, I join the others who feel the OP's comparison of a "hobo" to someone wearing Kouros is completely off...

I also agree with the scentiments of those that feel bad for the "hobo". Whatever he smelled like, I doubt he had a choice in the matter and it seems like added cruelty to kick him off the bus due to circumstances likely outside his control.

I think this whole thread stinks...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

the entire bus applauded for the driver, who then had to spray air freshener to get rid of the stench.
    There's only one thing worse than the smell of piss and that's air freshener.

- - - Updated - - -

A screeching, crying baby is music to his parents ears, yet others around think it's horrid noise.
    You're not a parent, are you?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I wear only those fragrances that I truly enjoy.

Isn't this dictum 'wear what you enjoy' in opposition to 'wear for others' (e.g. to get compliments). It does not say how much you have to wear.

Common sense should still prevail and the wearer should be conscious and considerate of the place and occasion. Wearing way too many sprays and overcoming your fellow co-workers, friends, or strangers at a concert does seem quite inconsiderate.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    kouros is pretty bad though
    Actually it is quite nice after the initial assault.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Are you sure the guy you thought was a hobo wasn't this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Are you sure the guy you thought was a hobo wasn't this guy?

Don't say bad things about gay sailors. I love gay sailors.

- - - Updated - - -

Look how beautiful they are, interacting:

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I still say, wear what you enjoy. You're paying for it, you may as well enjoy it.

Wearing Kouros on the other hand would make people applaud.

treeman5823

Yes, there exists such a thing as taste. If you wear 10 sprays of Poison, you should be required to sport a blinking hazard sign on your forehead. That said, this rule only applies to wearing perfume, not smelling it. So a more apt rule may be to buy what you like to smell and smell it in your own time, but always exhibit caution when in public. Common decency, really.