Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I've Never Listened To A Single Word From A Sales Associate

Most of my collection is made of blind buys. I do a lot of research before buying and 90% of the time I make a good bet. I immediately sell the bottles I don't like. But there are still some perfumes that were bought at the mall, department stores, or at duty free shops. Whenever I go to one of these places, I already have a list in my mind of the perfumes I want to sample, and I do whatever I can to avoid the proximity of the SAs. When it is impossible to avoid them, I simply treat them as my employees. I tell them: can you please bring me this and that and this and that? I never let them suggest anything, I never encourage them to comment on anything that I have tried and most important of all, I never accept suggestions on what I should or should not buy.

I believe SAs exist for a reason: selling the largest amount of perfume in the shortest period of time. They will do anything to sell. They don't really care what they are selling, as long as they make you buy it.

I believe in deciding for myself. I believe in getting prepared before hand. I believe in autonomy. I don't believe in using the service of SAs.
    Last edited by DanielPlainview; 25th April 2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: (from) a sales associate

Default Re: I've Never Listened To A Single Word by A Sales Associate

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    They will do anything to sell. They don't really care what they are selling, as long as they make you buy it.
    In the same way that not all Chinese men think perfume is gay (as you've recently claimed), as a former sales associate, I can tell you you're absolutely full of it. Not only was my success as an SA predicated on the exact opposite of what you described, Many of my experiences with SA's are also the exact opposite. In fact, a incredibly kind and thoughtful SA at a store just a couple of days ago hooked me up beyond belief with some of the best customer service I've had in a while.

They're not perfect, and they have to make a living just like everyone else.

"I simply treat them as my employees" is one of the sickest, most disturbing things I've heard in some time. While your last thread was low, as a human, this one genuinely bummed me out. I hope I never get to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    In the same way that not all Chinese men think perfume is gay (as you've recently claimed), as a former sales associate, I can tell you you're absolutely full of it. Not only was my success as an SA predicated on the exact opposite of what you described, Many of my experiences with SA are the exact opposite. In fact, a incredibly kind and thoughtful SA at a store just a couple of days ago hooked me up beyond belief with some of the best customer service I've had in a while..

This only proves we had different experiences with SAs. The experiences I had were not good. They just tried to push products. It is not nice being pushed. And they knew less about perfume than me.

Sorry everyone. I shouldn't have taken the DanielPlainview bait with this thread, but this one just really just bummed me out -- I should know better than to respond.

So far, I've had the best experience with the SA's at Saks for Bond No. 9, Killian and Tom Ford. All were pretty knowledgeable about the products. I usually steer clear of the NM reps that seem to just offer anything they can grab...

Whenever I go to one of these places, I already have a list in my mind of the perfumes I want to sample, and I do whatever I can to avoid the proximity of the SAs. When it is impossible to avoid them, I simply treat them as my employees. I tell them: can you please bring me this and that and this and that? I never let them suggest anything, I never encourage them to comment on anything that I have tried and most important of all, I never accept suggestions on what I should or should not buy.
    And do you think this attitude has any effect on how they respond to you? You haven't actually said that any particular SA has done anything to offend you; and it's hard to know how you've come to your conclusions while avoiding interaction with them.

My own experience is that some SAs are brilliant.

I'm just terribly thankful that I'm not one of your employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    And do you think this attitude has any effect on how they respond to you? You haven't actually said that any particular SA has done anything to offend you; and it's hard to know how you've come to your conclusions while avoiding interaction with them. My own experience is that some SAs are brilliant. .

As long as I have the detached attitude, they behave the way I want them to. Only when I show a more "vulnerable" attitude, they come up with suggestions, pushing products, etc. I had to learn how to deffend myself. They have never ever offended me, they just tried to push products. I don't hate them, I just want to avoid their attitude of pushing products. I've never found a brilliant SA.

that's your problem, not mine

the SA are there to do their job, and who are you to judge them for what they do?

a rotten apple does not meant the whole basket is

so stop with many of your prejudice threads
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

I personally haven't had a negative experience with a fragrance SA yet and for that I'm thankful.

I don't hate SAs. I just don't like to use their services, because I don't think they suit me. They are not of any use for me. That is why, when I am with a SA, I just ask them to "please give me this, please give me that". I simplify things. It has nothing to do with prejudice. If SAs have helped you in the past, I am happy that youy can count on them. Lucky you.

But not for me.

I have not had any luck with SA's in Atlanta, GA. I did not particularly have any negative experience but thought that they were not helpful. I had better experience with SA's in Vegas.

Basenotes Plus

You get out of the shopping experience what you put in. If you treat the SAs the way you do, they will never try to be helpful or friendly towards you. In my experience SAs in fragrance departments are 90% very helpful and more patient than in most other retail type businesses. They know it's a numbers game and there are lots and lots of fragrances you can choose from - which is why they may seem like trying to throw a lot of things at you if they don't know anything about you, just to see what "sticks" and to determine what your preferences are. Sure, you run into some newbies every now and then, or people who simply treat it as a 9-to-5 job and really don't care what you like, but these people never last in these jobs and they are let go quickly. Establish a more friendly rapport with an SA or two and you'll be amazed how much help you will get from them, and how hard they will try to find something unique that suits your tastes. Not to mention, how many free samples they will shower upon you - without pressure to buy anything on the spot, ever. I established great relationships with a few SAs at Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, Saks, etc, and I can tell you I've been able to sample thousands of dollars worth of fragrances, never once pressured to buy anything. I can walk into these stores and come out with 5-10 samples to try at my leisure at home - no pressure. They try hard to find something different, new, unique, or - just listen to what I tell them what I like and dislike - and come up with suggestions, whether right then, or on another visit once they had a chance to process my info and have a better idea of what I might like to try.

I do a LOT of research online, on this and a few other fragrance related sites, but as anyone will agree - testing fragrances first hand is the only way you'll ever know whether you like something and whether it agrees with your skin chemistry. Don't discount the very people that try their best to let you sample anything and everything, for free - something you CANNOT do online. Also, once you establish good relationship with an SA and share your email address or phone number with them, you'll be amazed how they will every now and then send you an email or call you to let you know they found something they think may be of interest and will offer a free sample, or will let you know of a super sale on your favorite fragrance line, or invite you to private events for their most select clientele to try new fragrances that may not be on the market for another few months. That is all worth something. Treat your SAs well and they will treat you like a king.

Hopefully I don't offend anyone here (if I do, I apologize in advance), but I dread interacting with SA's. From my experience, they're usually in a hurry, push/pressure me, and constantly talk to me as I try out the fragrance. I just want to be left in peace. That's why I now just buy samples online. It's bad enough driving long distance to go to the mall, but then dealing with them to top it off, no thanks.

They sometimes remind me of used car dealers.

In my experience, it varies from store to store and from person to person.

Some SAs are wonderful; some are horrible.

Generalisation is a logical fallacy.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Hopefully I don't offend anyone here (if I do, I apologize in advance), but I dread interacting with SA's. From my experience, they're usually in a hurry, push/pressure me, and constantly talk to me as I try out the fragrance. I just want to be left in peace. That's why I now just buy samples online. It's bad enough driving long distance to go to the mall, but then dealing with them to top it off, no thanks.

They sometimes remind me of used car dealers.

Finally someone who understands me. Thanks.

You should continue to not listen to a word they say. I have known more about frags than 100% of all SAs I have encountered and, without fail, if I ask them about something that is not right in front of them, they have never heard of it and get very confused when i try to explain it. I could give 3-4 examples in just the last week.
    Lots of them have been very nice though so I dont mind dealing with them.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    "I simply treat them as my employees" is one of the sickest, most disturbing things I've heard in some time. While your last thread was low, as a human, this one genuinely bummed me out. I hope I never get to meet you.
    I'm hoping it was a poor choice of phrasing that gave the impression of treating them poorly or a master/servant relationship, and that in fact his interactions with them are cordial, he just isn't interested letting them give him the hard sell.

Again, some SAs are wonderful and some are not.

For instance, I paid for a scent from an exclusive line in an order.

The wrong scent arrived. The SA packed the wrong scent. She then charged my credit card AGAIN to send out the correct order, then asked me for a time window when I would be at home in order for delivery to drop off and also pick up the wrong order. For that, I am STUCK at home during that time window, which is four hours.

1. It was their fault. Why was my credit card charged again?
    2. Why did they not simply ship out the correct scent with a return label--as do other companies?
    3. Why did they force me to waste a time at home?

Not happy about this at all. And from a designer boutique where I expect meticulous service.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

In my case, it was an (almost) even mix of both. Some fragrances were purchased in regular retails, after complete testing and with the help of some of the more knowledgeable, well-informed and helpful SAs. Another important part through blind buys, but not so much because of SAs, far more for the simply practical reasons that some of the fragrances are like are not available in regular retail, but they are online.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I'm hoping it was a poor choice of phrasing that gave the impression of treating them poorly or a master/servant relationship, and that in fact his interactions with them are cordial, he just isn't interested letting them give him the hard sell.
    I was hoping the same thing, but then he followed it up with a series of descriptors that essentially reduce humans to animal status that "are not of any use to him." Phrases such as "they behave the way I want them to" and "Only when I show a more "vulnerable" attitude . . . I had to learn how to deffend myself" indicate that this is merely a piss-poor attempt at provocation. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt following that jaw-droppingly ignorant rant from yesterday, but no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Again, some SAs are wonderful and some are not.

For instance, I paid for a scent from an exclusive line in an order.

The wrong scent arrived. The SA packed the wrong scent. She then charged my credit card AGAIN to send out the correct order, then asked me for a time window when I would be at home in order for delivery to drop off and also pick up the wrong order. For that, I am STUCK at home during that time window, which is four hours.

1. It was their fault. Why was my credit card charged again?
    2. Why did they not simply ship out the correct scent with a return label--as do other companies?
    3. Why did they force me to waste a time at home?

Not happy about this at all. And from a designer boutique where I expect meticulous service.
    Contact them and tell them this. Never agree to anything that is going to complicate your life.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Contact them and tell them this. Never agree to anything that is going to complicate your life.
    Lesson learned the hard way, I guess.

The real lesson is never again to buy from them.

There are a lot of other retailers who will take my money AND get the order correct, or who will ship the correct item with a return label.

Really dumb of them to make and easy fix into an extraordinarily complicated ordeal. Neimans has every Chanel product you will ever need so just go with them.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

I usually tell them that I just prefer to take my time and test on my own. They tend to ignore me after they see me coming back every week, which is a great thing.

The bane of fragrance shopping. Some can be quite cute and friendly, I guess.

It's "in" here to bash SA's, but there ARE great ones. Anyone who's been to the Kilian counter in Manchester Harvey Nics will i've no doubt agree with me. Some ARE passionate about fragrances, and some ARE very knowledgeable.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Very rarely, do I take anything that a SA has to say seriously.

I will listen to the advice of sales assistants, but as I grow in my knowledge of fragrances and what I want, I might be less inclined to take their advice. This is not to say they don't know their stuff; it simply means that if they say, 'Have you tried XXX' I can say, 'Yes, I know that one but I'm not really interested in that fragrance, thank you.'

It's a pleasure when the Sales Assistants know niche fragrances well and are able to suggest real alternatives, or simply have an educated conversation with me about niche. I had a great time at the Roja Dove shop last week when the Sales Assistant and I had a great chat about frags. I didn't buy anything but it was a nice experience.

Some SA's are knowledgeable, some are not.

I have become quite good friends with several. As well as recommending stuff I have also received numerous free gifts, bottles of Limited Edition perfume and so on - I have received a couple of the Malle metal travel atomizer sets with my choice of fragrance, tickets to a terrific performance at the Arts Festival (a Guerlain sponsored event during French May with a row of seats for Guerlain VIPs), several Amouage sample box sets from product launches . . .

I love SA's

SA's ROCK.

Go on being miserable and seeking 'understanding' from other members, by all means O.P. but forgive me if I think you're full of it

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Some SA's are knowledgeable, some are not.

I have become quite good friends with several. As well as recommending stuff I have also received numerous free gifts, bottles of Limited Edition perfume and so on - I have received a couple of the Malle metal travel atomizer sets with my choice of fragrance, tickets to a terrific performance at the Arts Festival (a Guerlain sponsored event during French May with a row of seats for Guerlain VIPs), several Amouage sample box sets from product launches . . .

I love SA's

SA's ROCK.

Go on being miserable and seeking 'understanding' from other members, by all means O.P. but forgive me if I think you're full of it
    Very well said! I get on great with 2 fantastic and very knowledgable SA's in Saks in Naples FLA. I never leave with less than a bag full of samples and have been invited to several sponsored events. Of course there are others that are not so good but to write them all off is ignorant in the extreme.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

You act like you don't understand why they are there. SA stands for SALES associate. The job they are employed to do is make sales. Above all though, they are human! They will make mistakes, they cannot read your mind. You will get more out of it if you put more in. Be nice. No not every one will go the extra mile, but when you find an SA you like call and see when they will be in. They probably work on commission (usually 1%-5% of sales plus wage, not all that much) so they will appreciate your loyalty. You won't feel stressed or pressured because you will be dealing with someone you are familiar with. Give people a chance and you might be surprised. A negative attitude will get you exactly what you expect, a shitty experience.
    I have worked retail selling luxury items the past 16 years. Last I checked I was not a satanic sales bot. Try this out, you might find an SA you like.
    You might also find that some have the IQ of a Twinkie and are there because they are cute. It takes all sorts
    I use cloth diapers. I deserve something that smells amazing.

I don't think you can broad brush SAs. I have had great experiences at Barney's, Saks, some Niemans and some Macy's. These people are truly there to help, talk through scents and they make it fun. I've also been to places like the Macy's on State Street here where they have basically hidden all the testers and there is a force field of SAs surrounding the counters ready to attack and force something on you. Same name store as great experiences but different location. So I don't agree with the OPs overall premise. A majority of the time it's positive and I can bounce ideas off of them.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post

Of course I treat them cordially and with all respect and politeness they deserve. They don't even notice, initially, that I am "resistant to be helped". It all happens very naturally. I don't like to offend people. I just want the right to choose by myself.

I will accept the fact that some times the SA do not have the thorough grasp of the notes in a perfume and also that they try to show you different products but I seem to find it helpful, Number of times I have stumbled upon fragrances which I would not have selected without the SA showing them to me. Also due to this I share with them any knowledge I get from the expertise and experience of other users here and on fragrantica. Due to this fact I have several of the SAs personal numbers saved and any rare item they get like a discontinued frag or a the latest product, they text me or call me about it and if I like it they would save if for me till I go and pay for it, rather be a week or a month. And also they do arrange certain perfumes for me on demand like I've asked them for another bottle of M7 and the SA was like "sure I'll ask the manager or other outlets for it and get it for you".

So even if you don't like their attitude at first try to work with and see how many wonders that does. Heck I don't get these discontinued frags for cheap just for nothing, just spread your knowledge to them and when they use it on other customers they will be really happy and tell you that they had a satisfied client just because of you. Well at least that happens to me.

Also donate your wardrobe to me xD

Forgot to tell you that I was checking out a nice fragrance with a white bottle (forgot its name) and the SA said "It kind of smells like a CREED but I cant remember which one". I told him I liked it and he told me to wait for a minute before he dived behind that counter and after a minute or so he came back with Ajmal's Silver Shade. He said try this and when I sniffed it I was like WTF it smells 99% like that other perfume and he smiled and said "The good part is its 60$ cheaper too and lasts the same amount of time."
    I got the same smelling frag for 16$ now he could have sold me the expensive one but he didn't because I'm always friendly with that guy.

P.S. Choose one good SA and befriend him and he will help you out as much as he can tbh
    Last edited by craniumbash; 25th April 2013 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by craniumbash View Post
    Also donate your wardrobe to me xD

You mean MY warbrobe? Did you like it?

You mean MY wardrobe? Did you like it?
    Yup there are a lot of great frags in there :3 and that wardrobe is built around my liking xD

Never had any negative experiences with SAs. When they see me approach the counter and ask if they can help, I just let them know I am just sampling and they tell me if I need any help they are available. No drama! If I already know what I want, it makes their job that much easier.

I'm very proud of you.

Quote Originally Posted by craniumbash View Post
    Yup there are a lot of great frags in there :3 and that wardrobe is built around my liking xD
    Thanks. I will send you a PM.

Thanks. I will send you a PM.
    thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Never had any negative experiences with SAs.
    You're lucky. Within the retail world, I'm not sure the word "never" has ever applied to my experience, and I worked in retail for seven years myself. Yes, I've had some good service at fragrance counters. I've also had, more often, the pushy type of approach where they literally grabbed a different bottle every ten seconds and tried to hand me a test strip. I've also had the experience of seeing a fragrance I had never smelled and asking the associate about it, and having her say, "why would you be interested in something you've never smelled?" So, like many here I can't make a blanket statement that they are "always" nice or that they are "always" hucksters, but more often than not, in my experience, especially in the large-market stores, they are not trained and not especially knowledgeable. I understand the job is to sell, so I approach the environment with patience on my end and simply tell them I'm just browsing or that I'm not interested in smelling only the new offerings.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    So far, I've had the best experience with the SA's at Saks for Bond No. 9, Killian and Tom Ford. All were pretty knowledgeable about the products. I usually steer clear of the NM reps that seem to just offer anything they can grab...
    In my case, it's been the Bn9 SAs that are generally the ones I've liked my interactions with the least at my local Saks. The best are the ones for Le Labo, by Kilian, Frederique Malle, aaaaaand the Penhaligon's ones get a special mention. NM SAs are not stellar and can be pushy (especially when they see you've bought something).

As long as I have the detached attitude, they behave the way I want them to. Only when I show a more "vulnerable" attitude, they come up with suggestions, pushing products, etc. I had to learn how to deffend myself. They have never ever offended me, they just tried to push products. I don't hate them, I just want to avoid their attitude of pushing products. I've never found a brilliant SA.
    Lol Your approach is amusing, and one that I can understand. Often times, I am waaaay more knowledgable than the SAs. I throw out terms like "sillage", "gourmand", or brands like "Amouage", and they have no idea what I'm talking about. But they're quick to push some generic mass-marketed crap on me. And especially the Perfumanias. I have NO RESPECT for them. You go in there, and they push stuff you have never heard of on Basenotes or anywhere else, and they're priced at 200%-300% of the price you can find it for online. SMH They have no integrity. Obviously, they get some incentive from pushing certain fragrances on customers. Must be the higher profit margin recieved from selling these no-names, versus the brand stuff. You ask them to recommend a nice fragrance, and they ALWAYS recommend some "Persang" or "Thallium", but NEVER recommend a "Gucci", "Versace", etc. SMH
    Current Favorites

1. Amouage Reflection Man
    2. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Divine L'Homme Sage
    4. By Killian Back to Black
    5. Amouage Interlude
    6. Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé (2004)
    7. By Killian Rose Oud
    8. Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
    9. Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme
    10.Creed Royal Water

I've had good and bad. Good I chat with, not so good I thank them & ask to be left alone.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    I have NO RESPECT for them.
    Unfortunately, many SA's are not the trained noses that you have here on BN, they are doing a job for which they don't get any training, but some grow up well in their job, develop a taste for fragrances and can tell a good parfum interested customer from the other / many that come in just to take a few sprays onto themselves in any mall that u go into. I know a few such SA's and over the course of some friendly chatter they gasp at the information that we have access to and the broader parfum minds we have. Nowadays 2-3 locations I go to for sampling just leave me alone - they know i take my sweet own time in sampling and they also learnt that i prefer to sample it myself without help...There are some in high end stores like Holt Renfrew in Canada that do get commission for selling, but in most cases - its just basic pay, and the job they are asked to is "sell" - so lets not treat them the way many here are commenting...You politely tell them to leave you alone and in 99% of the time, they will...There will be one or two pushy SA's, but u can find people of similar attitude even here on BN as well...

The SA's in NYC are mainly thugs who like to shove paper strips in your face and treat you like a rival gang member (Macy's and Bloomingdales are the worst). Hardly any of them have a clue about the fragrance industry.

Actually I find most sales help in america lacking in whatever retail environment. Nothing pleases me more than being able to shop online where I can research and take my time deciding.

There are exceptions but not many.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Unfortunately, many SA's are not the trained noses that you have here on BN, they are doing a job for which they don't get any training, but some grow up well in their job, develop a taste for fragrances and can tell a good parfum interested customer from the other / many that come in just to take a few sprays onto themselves in any mall that u go into. I know a few such SA's and over the course of some friendly chatter they gasp at the information that we have access to and the broader parfum minds we have. Nowadays 2-3 locations I go to for sampling just leave me alone - they know i take my sweet own time in sampling and they also learnt that i prefer to sample it myself without help...There are some in high end stores like Holt Renfrew in Canada that do get commission for selling, but in most cases - its just basic pay, and the job they are asked to is "sell" - so lets not treat them the way many here are commenting...You politely tell them to leave you alone and in 99% of the time, they will...There will be one or two pushy SA's, but u can find people of similar attitude even here on BN as well...

http://www.ehow.com/about_6579824_pe...scription.html
    The median wage for retail sales associates, including perfume sales representatives, was $9.52 an hour as of May 2009, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. In high-end establishments, associates may also have the opportunity to receive commission, plus salary, as well as bonuses for reaching sales targets.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/197...-on-commission

Question: Department store sales people, are they on commission? 9th June 2007, 01:39 AM #2

-------------------
    DrBubba is offline Male
    Most of them are, yes.

The scents they're pushing are the ones that the management is trying to push, due to advertising deals or other kinds of corporate arrangements.

Unfortunately, that's what you're going to get in Department Stores: mostly ignorant people pushing what they're told to push (and told to push HARD, too), combined with part time employees that usually couldn't care less about you, not to mention what you wear or are looking for

However, I've found Nordstrom's to be the opposite, at least here in St Louis. I LOVE my Nordie's and LOVE their SAs that work in their fragrance departments. They are truly amazing. If you have a chance to go to one, do so. They will impress you
    ----------
    14th August 2007, 02:39 AM
    Scentronic
    Posts:2,749 Re: Department store sales people, are they on commission?
    Not only commission, but CRACK!

Most of them don't seem to know anything at all about fragrances, and if they are a representative of a company, they will say or do just about anything to keep your attention focused on their products...including lying/making things up, insulting you and/or your intelligence, and putting forth the attitude you speak of, where you almost feel as though they will think you are shoplifting if you don't let them give you their sales presentation.

There is no best strategy to deal with these people, as they are all different. Sometimes simply telling them that you would just like to look at things for awhile before you try anything is a good way to gently suggest that they back off, at least for the mean time.

I find that the good customer service comes from the higher and lower- end stores... the higher being places like Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, and Saks, and the lower being places like Perfumania (brick and mortar stores), and other outlet-type stores. It is the middle ground, like Macy's (in particular, it seems) that they either don't know what they are selling, or are repellent with their attitudes. You'll get a few crazy old rich guy's wives pushing product in Saks and the like, but they seem to be friendlier and calmer than the freaks at Macy's, and know when to draw the line for the most part.

Bottom line: the internet is where it's at anyway!

1) Learn about something that appeals to you on Basenotes
    2) Obtain small amount to try via trade, sample swap, decant sale, etc
    3) Decide whether you like it enough to buy
    4) Find a much better, commission-free price on the internet from a reputable seller providing fresh, genuine product
    5) Give the finger to the crazy nazi woman forcing her garbage on you (optional).

You seriously need therapy...
    5) Give the finger to the crazy nazi woman forcing her garbage on you (optional).

Reading this thread gives me a funny feeling and I don't find this to be a positive thing.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    You seriously need therapy...
    It was not I who wrote that comment. Please read attentively before judging others. You misjudge people too often.

You misjudge people too often.
    Pot, meet kettle.
    I'm starting to think this is just a bad joke now -- the irony is too obvious.

Basenotes Plus

You misjudge people too often.
    Rock, meet Glass House.

SA's do push you to buy stuff, but that’s up to you to decide in the end. It’s their job, like any other sales rep. They read their customers, by recommending few in the beginning, and then try to make custom recommendations based on your tastes.
    If I am just sampling, then a simple 'No thanks, just looking around' is effective for me. Generally, the younger ones in Macys or Dillard’s try hard to push the latest trendy things, but I steer them away by asking them an intellectual question about fragrances. Many times, they appreciate my knowledge in fragrance, and shower me with many samples.

Anyway, it’s their job to push stuff. Macys, Dillard’s...Etc can’t hire all basenotes loving people to be their perfume sales reps.
    Philosophy: smell good, feel good

Basenotes Member

@ QWERTYOP I was at the Kilian counter yesterday at around midday. I sat behind the counter on one of the two chairs and waited to be served. I waited and waited and waited and still no one came to help me. I even opened the draw where they keep samples to see if it made a difference and I was still ignored. If you saw me you'd know I'm not a person to go unnoticed. After what seemed ages, but in reality was probably several minutes, I had to request assistance. Even then help was slow in coming, but admittedly in the end we got there, but very, very slowly.
    A couple of months ago I visited the same counter and couldn't have wished for better service and therefore it's probably wrong to generalise.
    I also have to say that I had a great experience immediately afterwards at the TF counter in Selfridges and at the House of Fraser as well.

Quote Originally Posted by misterhyde View Post
    If you saw me you'd know I'm not a person to go unnoticed.
    Please give us some further information.

I actually think that a bit of confidence could solve a lot of the problems people seem to have with SAs.

They're just people. You should be polite, but you don't have to be afraid of them. If you don't want any help, it's easy enough just to say "Thank you, would it be ok if I just had a look on my own for a bit?". It's not that hard; you can practice.

It's like when someone asks you out and you don't want to go. No need to launch into excuses or explain yourself. Just say no thank you. Have a little confidence and you'll find the world isn't that scary.

"I've Never Listened To A Single Word by A Sales Associate"

That's a pretty rude and foolish position to take.

I've had many great experiences with sales assistants, particularly in local shops, but even in a few larger ones too. I find the SAs in Nordstrom to be outstanding. I'm not saying they're experts in perfumery, but come on now... expecting them to be is ridiculous. Sales assistants aren't banking six figures after spending the better part of a decade studying perfumery. Depending on one's location, they might not even be earning six dollars an hour. Disrespecting them says more about you than it says about them. Never forget that they're people - working class people just trying to pay the bills.

Generally, when you find a bad sales assistant it means you're in a poorly managed store. Using Sephora as an example: I've never been pushed to buy at a Sephora. They've always been happy to give me samples. My experience at Macys hasn't been anywhere close to that. At Macy's, the sales assistants seem pressured to sell. Sometimes, they have a particular product to push. Other times, it's a case of needing to sell something - anything.

Sephora takes the long term sales approach: turn browsing shoppers into fans of the store, knowing they may leave empty handed today, but a positive experience means they'll come back again and again. Fans spend more money than browsers in the long term. Today's fans spending money were yesterday's (or last year's) browsing shoppers who spent nothing.

Macy's takes the short term approach: sell anything today. Make a sale today. Macy's tries to turn shoppers into fans mostly via discounts, but since perfume is rarely discounted in their store, they just push push push to move it. Again, however, there's a difference depending on which Macy's you're at. I live near a large downtown store. The service tends to be significantly better there than at a Macy's in a mall.

Again, a bad sales assistant is a sign of a bad store.

And a rude shopper? That's just a sign of somebody who's a jerk. SAs are working retail, just trying to pay the bills. It's rude to disrespect them.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Some sales women are dragon ladies!

Scary, very scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I actually think that a bit of confidence could solve a lot of the problems people seem to have with SAs.

They're just people. You should be polite, but you don't have to be afraid of them. If you don't want any help, it's easy enough just to say "Thank you, would it be ok if I just had a look on my own for a bit?". It's not that hard; you can practice.

It's like when someone asks you out and you don't want to go. No need to launch into excuses or explain yourself. Just say no thank you. Have a little confidence and you'll find the world isn't that scary.
    THIS.

This probably explains why I've had so many positive experiences with SAs while certain people seem to have none.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Are you implying that I disrespected somebody? I hope not. If you are, please explain. I've never offended a single sales agent in my entire life.

I don't hate SAs. I just don't like to use their services, because I don't think they suit me. They are not of any use for me. That is why, when I am with a SA, I just ask them to "please give me this, please give me that". I simplify things. It has nothing to do with prejudice. If SAs have helped you in the past, I am happy that youy can count on them. Lucky you.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    "I've Never Listened To A Single Word by A Sales Associate"

That's a pretty rude and foolish position to take.

I've had many great experiences with sales assistants, particularly in local shops, but even in a few larger ones too. I find the SAs in Nordstrom to be outstanding. I'm not saying they're experts in perfumery, but come on now... expecting them to be is ridiculous. Sales assistants aren't banking six figures after spending the better part of a decade studying perfumery. Depending on one's location, they might not even be earning six dollars an hour. Disrespecting them says more about you than it says about them. Never forget that they're people - working class people just trying to pay the bills.

Generally, when you find a bad sales assistant it means you're in a poorly managed store. Using Sephora as an example: I've never been pushed to buy at a Sephora. They've always been happy to give me samples. My experience at Macys hasn't been anywhere close to that. At Macy's, the sales assistants seem pressured to sell. Sometimes, they have a particular product to push. Other times, it's a case of needing to sell something - anything.

Sephora takes the long term sales approach: turn browsing shoppers into fans of the store, knowing they may leave empty handed today, but a positive experience means they'll come back again and again. Fans spend more money than browsers in the long term. Today's fans spending money were yesterday's (or last year's) browsing shoppers who spent nothing.

Macy's takes the short term approach: sell anything today. Make a sale today. Macy's tries to turn shoppers into fans mostly via discounts, but since perfume is rarely discounted in their store, they just push push push to move it. Again, however, there's a difference depending on which Macy's you're at. I live near a large downtown store. The service tends to be significantly better there than at a Macy's in a mall.

Again, a bad sales assistant is a sign of a bad store.

And a rude shopper? That's just a sign of somebody who's a jerk. SAs are working retail, just trying to pay the bills. It's rude to disrespect them.