Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default I've Never Listened To A Single Word From A Sales Associate

Most of my collection is made of blind buys. I do a lot of research before buying and 90% of the time I make a good bet. I immediately sell the bottles I don't like. But there are still some perfumes that were bought at the mall, department stores, or at duty free shops. Whenever I go to one of these places, I already have a list in my mind of the perfumes I want to sample, and I do whatever I can to avoid the proximity of the SAs. When it is impossible to avoid them, I simply treat them as my employees. I tell them: can you please bring me this and that and this and that? I never let them suggest anything, I never encourage them to comment on anything that I have tried and most important of all, I never accept suggestions on what I should or should not buy.

I believe SAs exist for a reason: selling the largest amount of perfume in the shortest period of time. They will do anything to sell. They don't really care what they are selling, as long as they make you buy it.

I believe in deciding for myself. I believe in getting prepared before hand. I believe in autonomy. I don't believe in using the service of SAs.
    Last edited by DanielPlainview; 25th April 2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: (from) a sales associate

Default Re: I've Never Listened To A Single Word by A Sales Associate

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    They will do anything to sell. They don't really care what they are selling, as long as they make you buy it.
    In the same way that not all Chinese men think perfume is gay (as you've recently claimed), as a former sales associate, I can tell you you're absolutely full of it. Not only was my success as an SA predicated on the exact opposite of what you described, Many of my experiences with SA's are also the exact opposite. In fact, a incredibly kind and thoughtful SA at a store just a couple of days ago hooked me up beyond belief with some of the best customer service I've had in a while.

They're not perfect, and they have to make a living just like everyone else.

"I simply treat them as my employees" is one of the sickest, most disturbing things I've heard in some time. While your last thread was low, as a human, this one genuinely bummed me out. I hope I never get to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    In the same way that not all Chinese men think perfume is gay (as you've recently claimed), as a former sales associate, I can tell you you're absolutely full of it. Not only was my success as an SA predicated on the exact opposite of what you described, Many of my experiences with SA are the exact opposite. In fact, a incredibly kind and thoughtful SA at a store just a couple of days ago hooked me up beyond belief with some of the best customer service I've had in a while..

This only proves we had different experiences with SAs. The experiences I had were not good. They just tried to push products. It is not nice being pushed. And they knew less about perfume than me.

Sorry everyone. I shouldn't have taken the DanielPlainview bait with this thread, but this one just really just bummed me out -- I should know better than to respond.

So far, I've had the best experience with the SA's at Saks for Bond No. 9, Killian and Tom Ford. All were pretty knowledgeable about the products. I usually steer clear of the NM reps that seem to just offer anything they can grab...
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Whenever I go to one of these places, I already have a list in my mind of the perfumes I want to sample, and I do whatever I can to avoid the proximity of the SAs. When it is impossible to avoid them, I simply treat them as my employees. I tell them: can you please bring me this and that and this and that? I never let them suggest anything, I never encourage them to comment on anything that I have tried and most important of all, I never accept suggestions on what I should or should not buy.
    And do you think this attitude has any effect on how they respond to you? You haven't actually said that any particular SA has done anything to offend you; and it's hard to know how you've come to your conclusions while avoiding interaction with them.

My own experience is that some SAs are brilliant.

I'm just terribly thankful that I'm not one of your employees.
    Currently wearing: Musc Intense by Nicolaï

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    And do you think this attitude has any effect on how they respond to you? You haven't actually said that any particular SA has done anything to offend you; and it's hard to know how you've come to your conclusions while avoiding interaction with them. My own experience is that some SAs are brilliant. .

As long as I have the detached attitude, they behave the way I want them to. Only when I show a more "vulnerable" attitude, they come up with suggestions, pushing products, etc. I had to learn how to deffend myself. They have never ever offended me, they just tried to push products. I don't hate them, I just want to avoid their attitude of pushing products. I've never found a brilliant SA.

that's your problem, not mine

the SA are there to do their job, and who are you to judge them for what they do?

a rotten apple does not meant the whole basket is

so stop with many of your prejudice threads
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

I personally haven't had a negative experience with a fragrance SA yet and for that I'm thankful.

I don't hate SAs. I just don't like to use their services, because I don't think they suit me. They are not of any use for me. That is why, when I am with a SA, I just ask them to "please give me this, please give me that". I simplify things. It has nothing to do with prejudice. If SAs have helped you in the past, I am happy that youy can count on them. Lucky you.

But not for me.

I have not had any luck with SA's in Atlanta, GA. I did not particularly have any negative experience but thought that they were not helpful. I had better experience with SA's in Vegas.

Basenotes Plus

You get out of the shopping experience what you put in. If you treat the SAs the way you do, they will never try to be helpful or friendly towards you. In my experience SAs in fragrance departments are 90% very helpful and more patient than in most other retail type businesses. They know it's a numbers game and there are lots and lots of fragrances you can choose from - which is why they may seem like trying to throw a lot of things at you if they don't know anything about you, just to see what "sticks" and to determine what your preferences are. Sure, you run into some newbies every now and then, or people who simply treat it as a 9-to-5 job and really don't care what you like, but these people never last in these jobs and they are let go quickly. Establish a more friendly rapport with an SA or two and you'll be amazed how much help you will get from them, and how hard they will try to find something unique that suits your tastes. Not to mention, how many free samples they will shower upon you - without pressure to buy anything on the spot, ever. I established great relationships with a few SAs at Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, Saks, etc, and I can tell you I've been able to sample thousands of dollars worth of fragrances, never once pressured to buy anything. I can walk into these stores and come out with 5-10 samples to try at my leisure at home - no pressure. They try hard to find something different, new, unique, or - just listen to what I tell them what I like and dislike - and come up with suggestions, whether right then, or on another visit once they had a chance to process my info and have a better idea of what I might like to try.

I do a LOT of research online, on this and a few other fragrance related sites, but as anyone will agree - testing fragrances first hand is the only way you'll ever know whether you like something and whether it agrees with your skin chemistry. Don't discount the very people that try their best to let you sample anything and everything, for free - something you CANNOT do online. Also, once you establish good relationship with an SA and share your email address or phone number with them, you'll be amazed how they will every now and then send you an email or call you to let you know they found something they think may be of interest and will offer a free sample, or will let you know of a super sale on your favorite fragrance line, or invite you to private events for their most select clientele to try new fragrances that may not be on the market for another few months. That is all worth something. Treat your SAs well and they will treat you like a king.

Hopefully I don't offend anyone here (if I do, I apologize in advance), but I dread interacting with SA's. From my experience, they're usually in a hurry, push/pressure me, and constantly talk to me as I try out the fragrance. I just want to be left in peace. That's why I now just buy samples online. It's bad enough driving long distance to go to the mall, but then dealing with them to top it off, no thanks.

They sometimes remind me of used car dealers.

In my experience, it varies from store to store and from person to person.

Some SAs are wonderful; some are horrible.

Generalisation is a logical fallacy.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Hopefully I don't offend anyone here (if I do, I apologize in advance), but I dread interacting with SA's. From my experience, they're usually in a hurry, push/pressure me, and constantly talk to me as I try out the fragrance. I just want to be left in peace. That's why I now just buy samples online. It's bad enough driving long distance to go to the mall, but then dealing with them to top it off, no thanks.

They sometimes remind me of used car dealers.

Finally someone who understands me. Thanks.

You should continue to not listen to a word they say. I have known more about frags than 100% of all SAs I have encountered and, without fail, if I ask them about something that is not right in front of them, they have never heard of it and get very confused when i try to explain it. I could give 3-4 examples in just the last week.
    Lots of them have been very nice though so I dont mind dealing with them.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    "I simply treat them as my employees" is one of the sickest, most disturbing things I've heard in some time. While your last thread was low, as a human, this one genuinely bummed me out. I hope I never get to meet you.
    I'm hoping it was a poor choice of phrasing that gave the impression of treating them poorly or a master/servant relationship, and that in fact his interactions with them are cordial, he just isn't interested letting them give him the hard sell.

Again, some SAs are wonderful and some are not.

For instance, I paid for a scent from an exclusive line in an order.

The wrong scent arrived. The SA packed the wrong scent. She then charged my credit card AGAIN to send out the correct order, then asked me for a time window when I would be at home in order for delivery to drop off and also pick up the wrong order. For that, I am STUCK at home during that time window, which is four hours.

1. It was their fault. Why was my credit card charged again?
    2. Why did they not simply ship out the correct scent with a return label--as do other companies?
    3. Why did they force me to waste a time at home?

Not happy about this at all. And from a designer boutique where I expect meticulous service.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

In my case, it was an (almost) even mix of both. Some fragrances were purchased in regular retails, after complete testing and with the help of some of the more knowledgeable, well-informed and helpful SAs. Another important part through blind buys, but not so much because of SAs, far more for the simply practical reasons that some of the fragrances are like are not available in regular retail, but they are online.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I'm hoping it was a poor choice of phrasing that gave the impression of treating them poorly or a master/servant relationship, and that in fact his interactions with them are cordial, he just isn't interested letting them give him the hard sell.
    I was hoping the same thing, but then he followed it up with a series of descriptors that essentially reduce humans to animal status that "are not of any use to him." Phrases such as "they behave the way I want them to" and "Only when I show a more "vulnerable" attitude . . . I had to learn how to deffend myself" indicate that this is merely a piss-poor attempt at provocation. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt following that jaw-droppingly ignorant rant from yesterday, but no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Again, some SAs are wonderful and some are not.

For instance, I paid for a scent from an exclusive line in an order.

The wrong scent arrived. The SA packed the wrong scent. She then charged my credit card AGAIN to send out the correct order, then asked me for a time window when I would be at home in order for delivery to drop off and also pick up the wrong order. For that, I am STUCK at home during that time window, which is four hours.

1. It was their fault. Why was my credit card charged again?
    2. Why did they not simply ship out the correct scent with a return label--as do other companies?
    3. Why did they force me to waste a time at home?

Not happy about this at all. And from a designer boutique where I expect meticulous service.
    Contact them and tell them this. Never agree to anything that is going to complicate your life.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Contact them and tell them this. Never agree to anything that is going to complicate your life.
    Lesson learned the hard way, I guess.

The real lesson is never again to buy from them.

There are a lot of other retailers who will take my money AND get the order correct, or who will ship the correct item with a return label.

Really dumb of them to make and easy fix into an extraordinarily complicated ordeal. Neimans has every Chanel product you will ever need so just go with them.

Basenotes Junkie

I usually tell them that I just prefer to take my time and test on my own. They tend to ignore me after they see me coming back every week, which is a great thing.

The bane of fragrance shopping. Some can be quite cute and friendly, I guess.

It's "in" here to bash SA's, but there ARE great ones. Anyone who's been to the Kilian counter in Manchester Harvey Nics will i've no doubt agree with me. Some ARE passionate about fragrances, and some ARE very knowledgeable.
    Currently wearing: Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Very rarely, do I take anything that a SA has to say seriously.

I will listen to the advice of sales assistants, but as I grow in my knowledge of fragrances and what I want, I might be less inclined to take their advice. This is not to say they don't know their stuff; it simply means that if they say, 'Have you tried XXX' I can say, 'Yes, I know that one but I'm not really interested in that fragrance, thank you.'

It's a pleasure when the Sales Assistants know niche fragrances well and are able to suggest real alternatives, or simply have an educated conversation with me about niche. I had a great time at the Roja Dove shop last week when the Sales Assistant and I had a great chat about frags. I didn't buy anything but it was a nice experience.

Some SA's are knowledgeable, some are not.

I have become quite good friends with several. As well as recommending stuff I have also received numerous free gifts, bottles of Limited Edition perfume and so on - I have received a couple of the Malle metal travel atomizer sets with my choice of fragrance, tickets to a terrific performance at the Arts Festival (a Guerlain sponsored event during French May with a row of seats for Guerlain VIPs), several Amouage sample box sets from product launches . . .

I love SA's

SA's ROCK.

Go on being miserable and seeking 'understanding' from other members, by all means O.P. but forgive me if I think you're full of it

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Some SA's are knowledgeable, some are not.

I have become quite good friends with several. As well as recommending stuff I have also received numerous free gifts, bottles of Limited Edition perfume and so on - I have received a couple of the Malle metal travel atomizer sets with my choice of fragrance, tickets to a terrific performance at the Arts Festival (a Guerlain sponsored event during French May with a row of seats for Guerlain VIPs), several Amouage sample box sets from product launches . . .

I love SA's

SA's ROCK.

Go on being miserable and seeking 'understanding' from other members, by all means O.P. but forgive me if I think you're full of it
    Very well said! I get on great with 2 fantastic and very knowledgable SA's in Saks in Naples FLA. I never leave with less than a bag full of samples and have been invited to several sponsored events. Of course there are others that are not so good but to write them all off is ignorant in the extreme.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?