Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Creed aventus, what's the hype, average at best

Just smelled my first niche fragrance. I don't understand the hype.it smells like my skin after sitting out by a fire pit.but just not as natural. With the slightest hint of pineapple that you have to try very hard to even smell.why spend 250 to smell like smoke? I don't get it.nothing stands out or will make me remember the smell different that any 75$ bottle of juice.what a let down I really wanted to enjoy it and make it my summer signature.

Default Re: Creed aventus, what's the hype, average at best

It affects people differently. Obviously wasn't meant for you.

3.5 hours in the scent is COMPLEtely gone, I have never experienced this with any fragrance before, wow!Dior on tje opposite wrist still in strong, this is gone!Joke

Sounds like you got the ashtray batch....

Quote Originally Posted by Falco4758 View Post
    Just smelled my first niche fragrance.
    Not to split hairs, but this is hardly niche; it's sold in shopping malls all across the country. It's a factory produced, mass-marketed scent that's as "safe" as any designer scent out there. What makes it seem niche is that it's three times the price of what it's worth, so assumptions are automatically made that it has some inherent exclusivity. Personally I don't think it's a bad scent, but it's far removed from what true niche is trying to accomplish.

Given your past postings, it seems that you are approaching the world of frags like a bull in a china shop. Why not set yourself an order date for some samples maybe three weeks from now, and spend the next three week studiously reading, asking questions, figuring out what you might like, and then order.

Just because Aventus pops up three to five times a day on the message boards here doesn't mean it's necessarily good. 1 Million is hugely popular, as is Nicki Minaj -- that should clue you in.
    Last edited by deadidol; 25th April 2013 at 04:25 PM.

I really enjoy it.

On me it starts off very fruity and ends up dry, woody with a hint of creamy vanilla and fruit.

Its my most well recieved scent for compliments from both people I no, and people i dont.

Its more of a smokey leather jacket than just ash. My K01 batch, which is one of the most hated Aventus batches on here due to smoke, is lasting so much longer, and receiving many more compliments, than my E01 2012 "fruity" batch.

To my nose, they dry down the same but the K01 lasts and projects much longer. Love it.

You're going at it the othe way.

First, who said Aventus represents niche?
    Even if it does, it doesn't mean it must appeal to you. It could be niche but you may not like it.

I own and lik Aventus. It's nothing spectacular but it's not bad either. But definitely not the showcase perfume for niche.

for swap/sale:

One spray of Aventus on my skin and it almost kills my nose. It is dry +smoky wood with ripen + sweet fruit. Not for me. And I'm so happy that I don't have to pay such a big money for it. Now, Aventus is everywhere. Just like Terre d'Hermes last year.

Just smelled my first niche fragrance. I don't understand the hype.it smells like my skin after sitting out by a fire pit.but just not as natural. With the slightest hint of pineapple that you have to try very hard to even smell.why spend 250 to smell like smoke? I don't get it.nothing stands out or will make me remember the smell different that any 75$ bottle of juice.what a let down I really wanted to enjoy it and make it my summer signature.
    Oh gee weez, you'll never have a girlfriend now...

It's fragrance - it's opinion.

Royal pineapple, royal ambergris, royal smokyness. Royal tra la la.

Aventus oh my dear Aventus have ye knowth not than to bestow ye godly presence to a mere mortal???

It's really one of the few fragrances worth all the hype if you can get the good pineappley batch.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I got a 2ml sample from Surrender to Chance, and it smelled like pure smoke. Took a chance on another sample from Decant Shop and it is the nicest pineapple scent. Definite difference to me.

Sound Scents

"Average at best" just about sums up my opinion of the stuff. I also agree that its artificial smoky nature is a real turnoff. Longevity is not a problem on my skin and I have no problem smelling Aventus at all (though I wish I did). It is a favorite of many here and I certainly respect their opinions but it just wasn't for me either...

As an aside, since it appears the smoky aspects of the scent are the least appealing to you, I would avoid Royal Vintage by Micallef as well, as it is quite similar but even more smoky.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Hm maybe that's it! Thanks man

Just wasn't to my liking gave my sample to a friend at church. I really didn't get any smoke from it at all.

Great thing is if you don't like a particular fragrance move on to the next. If you want resample another time.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Given your past postings, it seems that you are approaching the world of frags like a bull in a china shop. Why not set yourself an order date for some samples maybe three weeks from now, and spend the next three week studiously reading, asking questions, figuring out what you might like, and then order.
    THIS!

If you just randomly pick names other people like, you'll never be able to figure out what works for you. Grab a pen and paper. Go to a fragrance counter. Each time you smell a fragrance, write down the name and jot down your thoughts, even if the stuff you write down doesn't seem to make much sense. Pick your favorite two scents out of the ones you tried and spray one on your left arm and the other on your right.

Go home.

Later, go to fragrantica.com and look up the scents you sampled. Compare what you wrote down with the list of notes (ingredients, kinda sorta) and compare your thoughts with what other people said. Do the same for the scents you wore home on your arms.

After a while, you'll start to notice patterns, and some of what you learn will probably surprise you. Maybe you like soapy scents. Maybe you don't. Maybe you like ambers. Maybe spice does it for you. Maybe you prefer gourmands. Maybe incense.

Once you figure out what you like, it becomes easier to look up other fragrances you might like. It's also easier to look up a frag you see mentioned a lot and guess whether or not you'd like it. Or, you can just see names mentioned online and try them, bouncing from thing to thing without ever understanding why you don't like them. The idea that just because lots of other people like something means you'll like it too is completely wrong. People rave about New Haarlem. It does nothing for me. I rarely see Interlude Man mentioned outside of Amouage threads, but I love the stuff.

You have to figure out what you like, and by that, I don't mean which frags. I mean, which smells.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

It is nice but over rated imo.

10 million batches of niche

maybe I am crazy but to me its synthetic

Kielecki there is less then 1% of non synth in the formula.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Not to split hairs, but this is hardly niche; it's sold in shopping malls all across the country. It's a factory produced, mass-marketed scent that's as "safe" as any designer scent out there. What makes it seem niche is that it's three times the price of what it's worth, so assumptions are automatically made that it has some inherent exclusivity. Personally I don't think it's a bad scent, but it's far removed from what true niche is trying to accomplish.

Just because Aventus pops up three to five times a day on the message boards here doesn't mean it's necessarily good. 1 Million is hugely popular, as is Nicki Minaj -- that should clue you in.
    Your insights are always so spot on! I enjoy reading them!

There are plenty of "hyped" fragrances that don't quite "agree" with me. It's quite normal. You didn't like it...no big loss, really. There will be plenty of others you'll "fall in love" with. Enjoy the journey and best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Your insights are always so spot on! I enjoy reading them!
    That's very kind of you, vin!

I have close to 200 ML's of Aventus(decants/3-4 different people and times) I don't much pineapple or even freshness, to me it smells a bit like grease car grease. Recently got a bottle of Fresco and I love it. Much better and cheaper alternative.

I wore aventus until I tried Tuscan Leather...then aventus got sold

It is okay and I wear it once in a while, when I feel like satisfying my cravings/love for pineapples. It smells "nice", but is not really stimulating to wear. I never really understood the hype, even though I was fortunate enough to receive a bottle of one those "end all be all"-batches.
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

The Dude abides!!!
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

I think if your spending over the 100 $ for 100ml mark,
    Your pretty much paying for the "Exclusivity" of the brand,
    the unique bottle design, and the goodwill it enjoys, since
    the juice inside does not cost more than 6-8$ tops to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    I think if your spending over the 100 $ for 100ml mark,
    Your pretty much paying for the "Exclusivity" of the brand,
    the unique bottle design, and the goodwill it enjoys, since
    the juice inside does not cost more than 6-8$ tops to produce.
    And in many cases the glass bottle is more expensive than its contents...
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

Wow, good to know!! I figured it was like that like everything else in life, clothes,cars ect.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    THIS!

If you just randomly pick names other people like, you'll never be able to figure out what works for you. Grab a pen and paper. Go to a fragrance counter. Each time you smell a fragrance, write down the name and jot down your thoughts, even if the stuff you write down doesn't seem to make much sense. Pick your favorite two scents out of the ones you tried and spray one on your left arm and the other on your right.

Go home.

Later, go to fragrantica.com and look up the scents you sampled. Compare what you wrote down with the list of notes (ingredients, kinda sorta) and compare your thoughts with what other people said. Do the same for the scents you wore home on your arms.

After a while, you'll start to notice patterns, and some of what you learn will probably surprise you. Maybe you like soapy scents. Maybe you don't. Maybe you like ambers. Maybe spice does it for you. Maybe you prefer gourmands. Maybe incense.

Once you figure out what you like, it becomes easier to look up other fragrances you might like. It's also easier to look up a frag you see mentioned a lot and guess whether or not you'd like it. Or, you can just see names mentioned online and try them, bouncing from thing to thing without ever understanding why you don't like them. The idea that just because lots of other people like something means you'll like it too is completely wrong. People rave about New Haarlem. It does nothing for me. I rarely see Interlude Man mentioned outside of Amouage threads, but I love the stuff.

You have to figure out what you like, and by that, I don't mean which frags. I mean, which smells.
    GREAT advice!
    Current Favorites

1. Amouage Reflection Man
    2. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Divine L'Homme Sage
    4. By Killian Back to Black
    5. Amouage Interlude
    6. Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé (2004)
    7. By Killian Rose Oud
    8. Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
    9. Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme
    10.Creed Royal Water

To me, masculine for sure. Pleasant with a hint of sophistication.

People's opinion of this is interesting and as any fragrance that is super popular, it is very polarizing,

When It first came out, people didnt have much expectation for it.

But it must be a good scent because the hype started. People were loving it. Next thing you know, it's the most hyped frag in the comm because everyone wants to give it rave reviews.

The it hits a plateau where it's no longer cool to think aventus is god, and that's when the "it's not that special... It's overhyped" people started chiming in because of its previously hyped status.

The next state of this fragrance? It will stay a great scent for most people, but over time, the hype will regress and aventus will still be one of the most liked scent but the god status will dissolve. It will join the ranks of things like git, pure malt, etc... It won't be THE aventus, but it will be aventus nonetheless.

Basenotes Member

Aventus is the best purchase i've made so far, I love it.Saw a few threads critiscing it but out of my entire wardrobe Aventus followed by GIT are miles clear of the rest. Creed are a different level, you have to have had a crap batch.

I like quite a few Creeds.. Aventus is just meh though.
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

God herself wears Aventus so she smells better. Average? I think not!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Half of people REALLY like Aventus and the other half think it's overrated.

Nothing new here.

I got the ashy batch, but out of the bottle it smells like fresh cut pineapple - totally natural.
    My old bottle was pure pine apple, but did not last longer than 8-10 hours, this new one gives me 10+ solid hours.

And one hour in, the ash scent goes into the background and the fresh bergamot, lemon and pineapple blends with the ash note and creates one of my favorite frags.

It may not be considered niche, because it's so popular and available in bigger cities, but here in Copenhagen it's easier to get Diptyque, Guerlain, Byre-do & CDG than Creed, so are these 4 not niche either ?

It's made by a company that only sells frags these days, if this is not the definition of niche, please tell me proper definition of niche ?

It may not se the super advanced niche scent, it's pretty likable right out of the flask - but it is indeed niche and it is overhyped, no doubt about it.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Samples of original santal came today.these creed fragrances smell like low end designer scents. The closest scent I can link to Original santal is Adidas moves. Very similar.now I know for certain if creed name wasn't on the bottle they would be 20 dollar colognes.funny ppl pay 200 for a below avg juice worth 20 bucks just to say they own and wear creed.

Samples of original santal came today.these creed fragrances smell like low end designer scents. The closest scent I can link to Original santal is Adidas moves. Very similar.now I know for certain if creed name wasn't on the bottle they would be 20 dollar colognes.funny ppl pay 200 for a below avg juice worth 20 bucks just to say they own and wear creed.
    True, some people pay ten times the price for stuff like watches, running shoes, jewelry, pens and clothes as designer labelled items that they could otherwise get equivalent items very inexpensively at K-mart. But when wearing Creed scents, one doesn't have a label to say one is wearing Creed.

Are you willing to try the experiment of going around telling everyone that today you are wearing $200+ Creed Original Santal, when you are in fact wearing Addidas Moves?
    It may prove instructive.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Member

Have to disagree here. I LOVE it. But a quick story....I went out on friday night completely sober and drank diet coke all night. Within an hour of a random young lady being sat down on our table she was literally eating me alive when I made no effort whatsoever. She biting my neck, grabbing me all over...telling me how good I smelled while biting my ear and literally wrapping her legs round me in plain view of the whole bar. It was unreal, she literally just went nuts. I am convinced Aventus had something to do with that because usually guys have to make an effort and thats never happened to me before in that way. I was out with another girl and she said " ive never ever seen a girl do that in that way before". Whether it was Aventus or not...its women record is now 1/1. 100%.

The connection I have noticed with people paying ridiculous sucker prices for cologne I feel are the same suckers who buy girls drinks all night then they go home with the dude who didnt buy them one?haha I feel the connection.a girl smelled your neck? Too bad that's all she smelled

Quote Originally Posted by Braxbrah View Post
    Have to disagree here. I LOVE it. But a quick story....I went out on friday night completely sober and drank diet coke all night. Within an hour of a random young lady being sat down on our table she was literally eating me alive when I made no effort whatsoever. She biting my neck, grabbing me all over...telling me how good I smelled while biting my ear and literally wrapping her legs round me in plain view of the whole bar. It was unreal, she literally just went nuts. I am convinced Aventus had something to do with that because usually guys have to make an effort and thats never happened to me before in that way. I was out with another girl and she said " ive never ever seen a girl do that in that way before". Whether it was Aventus or not...its women record is now 1/1. 100%.

You should be banned for posting this spam.

Basenotes Member

martinijo you don't like the fragrance thats fine. Get off your high horse.

- - - Updated - - -

The connection I have noticed with people paying ridiculous sucker prices for cologne I feel are the same suckers who buy girls drinks all night then they go home with the dude who didnt buy them one?haha I feel the connection.a girl smelled your neck? Too bad that's all she smelled
    Possibly, but not the case with me if thats what you were getting at.

This and other over-hyped fragrances are based on someone's personal opinion after all. I personally find majority of hyped fragrances are mediocre and some even are shameless copycats. However, lately I've learned to let people opinion be their own opinion and what I can do is keeping myself away from the hype game

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe that girl skips her pills that day lol

- - - Updated - - -

Every post you have have made on Basenotes has been about Creed, apart from one where you mentioned what you were eating.
    This qualifies as spam in my book.

Basenotes Member

Thankfully your "book" isn't the one the majority of the world read off. Pretty self centered to think so.

I have an interest in Creed more than any others, so what? My earlier posts were asking for recommendations of an array of fragrances of which plenty of others were discussed and actually purchased. You don't like that I want to discuss Creed/Aventus...fine. Don't come onto an Aventus thread and let fly for some nooby bashing because you've had a bad day so far bro. This is a Creed thread, what did you expect to be discussed here?

Aventus is the best purchase i've made so far, I love it.Saw a few threads critiscing it but out of my entire wardrobe Aventus followed by GIT are miles clear of the rest. Creed are a different level, you have to have had a crap batch.

- - - Updated - - -

Thankfully your "book" isn't the one the majority of the world read off. Pretty self centered to think so.

I have an interest in Creed more than any others, so what? My earlier posts were asking for recommendations of an array of fragrances of which plenty of others were discussed and actually purchased. You don't like that I want to discuss Creed/Aventus...fine. Don't come onto an Aventus thread and let fly for some nooby bashing because you've had a bad day so far bro. This is a Creed thread, what did you expect to be discussed here?
    Creed pls go.

The fact is you are yet another in a long list of people who have joined Basenotes just to write some ridiculous nonsense about how you sprayed on some Aventus and women lost control of themselves.
    You all seem to write in exactly the same style.
    Nobody ever joins to say this about any other fragrance, so either Aventus is some heavenly gift or you are all shilling for Creed.
    I did decide not to respond to any more of this, mainly because it keeps these threads in view but I couldn't help myself as it seemed you hadn't even made the effort to throw in a few non Creed related posts to try to cover your tracks a bit.

Basenotes Member

It sounds like you think im some sort of Creed advertising plant, that literally cracks me up if you genuinely believe that. I havent been around long enough to see these type of posts before but Id warn against tarring everyone with the same brush based on a whim. What I described happened on friday was creed the sole reason I got female attention? No. But some scents just happen to drive people wild, maybe it did for this chick but maybe it wouldn't for another. People have different tastes.

Apologies that you veterans have to deal with new posters who want to talk about Creed, its like being on a bodybuilding forum and watching new posters ask the same questions about diet and nutrition...you simple have to accept it as part and parcel and if new posters didn't join forums then you'd have no community. Creed got my interest in posting here as it clearly does for many other newcomers...from this point on I can explore other areas and pick up other ideas. People join forums because something sparks their interest...its just how it goes. Its nothing to do with covering any tracks. Ridiculous.

Thread has inspired me to give Aventus another whirl tomorrow.

If i still don't get it, my 95+% full 120ml bottle will be hitting the marketplace.

It is a good fragrance . I think the hype about it makes the expectations high, so people get disappointed after they smell it. It is true for Aventus and others.
    By the way, let's discuss the fragrance not the people discussing the fragrance . Every time there is a creed or Aventus thread, it gets wild
    Current top choices:
    1- Clive Christian X
    2-Clive Christian C
    3- Portrait of a lady
    4- Amouage Dia
    5- New York oud
    6 34 st Germaine boulevard by Diptyque
    7- by killian Pure Oud
    8- coromandel by Chanel
    9- Chergui
    10- Tom ford Tuscan leather

This.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It affects people differently. Obviously wasn't meant for you.

Simply a decent scent for me but definitely not a masterpiece in my collection, one of my top 10 frags but not standing as No.1.
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

Tried Aventus quite recently at Selfridges in Manchester. It does smell nice to me but it's not something I really would pay that kind of money for to be honest. I was expecting something extraordinarily amazing and unique after reading and hearing so much about it. So yeah it smells good but not amazing.

I hate Aventus threads so much that now i'm starting to like them.

I think i've developed some kind of syndrome.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??