Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Incense Accord Essentials List

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Nice for what it is... I have way too many ambers and samples of them, I'll have to really study them soon... my two basket's worth is still overflowing of bottles, probably 30 of them...
    I'm at the cut-off point now too, but this one actually looks like it might serve as a practical entry into the sacred kingdom of Vigon Piconia's on my list though, as is ultravanil—which is a bit tangential given the context of this thread, but it sounds like it might work as auxiliary to some of these dry ambers with its supposed guaiac facets.
    Last edited by deadidol; 8th April 2014 at 11:13 PM.

Dependent

There must be a modern fragrance containing a huge amount of piconia. Several times I smelled it (from a distance) and the piconia note was so dominant. Does anyone of you know which (unisex) perfume I am talking about?
    And does anyone else detect a kind of cherry-note in the dry down (after all this camphorishness)? Like cherry-menthol-drops.

Well, it turns out I do have isologngifolanone (piconia) after all (I had a package arrive a few days ago that I'm still working through). I haven't done anything with it yet, nor could I really identify a scent that its prominent in off the top of my head, but the camphor is definitely there which lends the material a slight watery quality. It has a slight shrillness of, say, rosewood or teak, but there's a subtle cedar facet there too. I don't get cherry from it, but I do get a bit of a straw note. I'm not sure I'd lump this in with the woody ambers as I could actually picture it as more of a green builder—maybe even a builder for florals.

Paul - do also get a green foresty note from it?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    Paul - do also get a green foresty note from it?
    Green Foresty note from Ambermax? No....

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Have you tried Ambermax?
    To me it's pretty dry, and somewhat green, but Chris once suggested it in regard to Frankincense,
    and I think I'm a bit anosmic to some ambers (though I can't be sure..)
    Ambermax is a brilliant material - very powerful - very diffusive - very amber. They didnít call it amberMAX for nothing: it was a Givaudan captive until last year.

It comes in two versions 50% in Dowanol TPM or 10% in TEC. I have the 50% version. Even a trace can have a big impact and it works synergistically with ambrofix and labdanum among other things.
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

I guess the greeness is just me then.. Could be some kind of anosmia.. Thought after a couple of days it smells more like amber. If I work with everything at 10%, could ambermax at 1% be too much?

I guess the greeness is just me then.. Could be some kind of anosmia.. Thought after a couple of days it smells more like amber. If I work with everything at 10%, could ambermax at 1% be too much?
    Iíd say 1% is sensible if youíre working with other things at 10% but youíll still want to be cautious with it - as you would with something like Calone for example.
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Well, it turns out I do have isologngifolanone (piconia) after all (I had a package arrive a few days ago that I'm still working through). I haven't done anything with it yet, nor could I really identify a scent that its prominent in off the top of my head, but the camphor is definitely there which lends the material a slight watery quality. It has a slight shrillness of, say, rosewood or teak, but there's a subtle cedar facet there too. I don't get cherry from it, but I do get a bit of a straw note. I'm not sure I'd lump this in with the woody ambers as I could actually picture it as more of a green builder—maybe even a builder for florals.
    Interesting, what you are writing about this ac. I think slight watery quality/slight shrillness are spot on.

Frankly, there is about 2% of olibanum essential oil, 1,5% of olibanum resinoid and also a lot of labdanum in Avignon.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    As for bone dry, Like Avignon, I will tell you that there is zero Frankincense in Avignon
    Frankly, there is about 2% of olibanum essential oil, 1,5% of olibanum resinoid and also a lot of labdanum in Avignon.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by nurStress View Post
    I suppose it is possible, but my GC that I had done says, zilch.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I get a pine sap or heartwood of Douglas Fir feeling from Piconia.
    I also become anosmic to it fairly quickly, so at stronger concentrations it takes a while until I can smell it again.
    I would describe it as resinous and kind of scratchy wood yellow-green smell. It's certainly an interesting material.