Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Thursday, 25 April 2013

Good morning,

The almost summery days continue ... and a (positively) busy weekend (my dad is coming) and a week off are lying ahead.

Vintage Vol de Nuit Extrait today. This one is a b*tch today... disappeared into (almost) nothing after 2-3 hours. The new extrait is wonderful, too and more reliable.

Best to all

Default Re: SotD Thursday, 25 April 2013

Morning Larimar, Morning All,

Lovely weather continues here,too: Sunny and 19 / 66 degrees.

Sarrassins today. Mark Buxton is speaking at our Perfume Lovers meetup tonight, which should be entertaining.

Have a great Thursday !

Morning all!

Elegant 24 Faubourg Hermes edp for me today.
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

queen of the universe

Oh, we are smelling good. Defying rainy reality I went to bed with Guerlain's tropical Mayotte, and woke up to a coffee-ish drydown! Nice way to start my day (:
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Good Morning, everybody! SOTD is Givenchy LeDe A BLAST FROM THE (way) PAST!

Hello everyone. Another sunny day in London... it's just so nice! The wisteria in my garden is shooting out buds. A bit late for we had a long cold winter, but I can't wait for the blooms.

Do happy

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Good Morning:
    YSL, La Nuit de L'Homme

Idole de Lubin edt.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Good morning.

Vero.Profumo Onda extrait to remember 68th anniversary of Italy's liberation.
    I needed something dramatic, given the present, confused and alarming situation and onda is both deep and calming.

Have a nice day, all of you!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Hello all. Marc Jacobs Bang
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Vintage Vol de Nuit Extrait today. This one is a b*tch today... disappeared into (almost) nothing after 2-3 hours. The new extrait is wonderful, too and more reliable.
    Agreed - the latest formulation is fantastic. I was so impressed when Mimi and I tried it in London that I returned the following week and bought a bottle. Quality juice, unlike (sadly) the current L'Heure Bleue Extrait which is an insult to the name

Guerlain here too - Habit Rouge.

Have a great evening and make the most of the fine weather,G - reverting back to the norm again from tomorrow.

Happy Birthday the_good_life

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    ... make the most of the fine weather,G - reverting back to the norm again from tomorrow.
    It was too good to last, sadly.
    Love the Habit Rouge posters !

Bonjour Mesdames!

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone, Roberto Cavalli Oro for me.

Love those posters, Jon!

Best to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Green Irish Tweed this morning
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Agreed - the latest formulation is fantastic. I was so impressed when Mimi and I tried it in London that I returned the following week and bought a bottle. Quality juice, unlike (sadly) the current L'Heure Bleue Extrait which is an insult to the name
    I know I told people about two years ago when my bottle was exchanged into Vol de Nuit.

Sardines are very fine with me, Wolfie! Reminds me of my wonderful holiday at the Lisbon coast two years ago.

Good morning everyone! Massive rain AGAIN today. After they told us just a few sprinkles, it's been downpouring for a couple hours. This is going to play havoc with the existing flooding. Plus I'm just OVER THE RAIN.

Twolf, I read your Italian food list and started drooling! I'm afraid I've had to cut it mostly out as well. I can't have the pasta, even when it's whole wheat. I've thought about doing a modified lasagna using the meat, cheese, sauce and either no noodles or zucchini slices for the noodles. Wonder if you've had any luck with things like that for substitutes Larimar. I've had to become quite creative so that's a plus!

Today I'm wearing my tiny sample of Sublime Vanille, I had to pull it out after Perfume Posse did a vanilla post. I wore it once before, and hadn't read the raves on it, and wasn't wowed.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Thursday, 25 April 2013

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Creed Aventus, because 'average at best' never smelled sooo good...

Dior Addict today and the day before. Got big compliments from a coworker. Really love the stuff and will dread to run out!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Elizrj, cannot you eat glutenfree pasta?

ROBERTO, can you compare this to Caron PUH?

Good morning, everyone!

Well, there's never a dull moment during festival season, and the big'un starts today - Jazz Fest.

Here's Allen Toussaint from 2007, welcoming everyone to the party.

It's also Ella Fitzgerald's birthday, appropriately enough. Happy Birthday Ella!

I'm in Gucci No1. Y'all have a fantastic day!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

Good morning! It's very foggy and cold right now, but it's suppose to be a sunny day with temps in the 40's, which will be nice for a change.

Larimar, enjoy your week off and have fun visiting with your dad!

Love your picture of the lavender field, Roberto!

Wearing Agent Provocateur Maitresse this morning.

Blog Entries

Hello all,

A lazy start to the day following last night's celebrations, now l'm finally dressed & scented, with B&BW's Tiare Flower. lt's warm & sunny here, so l'm heading outside for a spot of gardening.

Twolf, l agree that Kalamata olives are absolutely the best, & l wouldn't buy any other. l've eaten them in Kalamata a few times, too. And l always buy Greek olive oil. Greek & Moroccan food are favourites of mine, as well as ltalian.

elizrj, have you ever tried making moussaka? lt's very similar to lasagne, but made with layers of aubergine or potato instead of pasta. Delicious!

Thanks again for all the birthday wishes everyone, have a great day!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Before gym: Dior Homme Intense. After gym John Vartatos Vintage

Good morning, all. I'm wearing the Jardin sur la Toit, very appropriately matched to the outfit, too, slim white crop pants and turquoise t-shirt. I look like I smell today. White pants are pretty ambitious for me, not sure they fit my lifestyle, LOL. I keep having to throw them in with the kitchen towels to get bleached when I get something on them.

Oh, and big yes to the Italian foods, mmm. Sardines? Yes. Anchovies....We make pizzas sometimes at home, and I make one for me with anchovies and hot peppers and kalamata olives. Between the anchovies and the hot peppers, I can count on nobody else touching that one so I can take leftovers for lunch

Good morning! Live Jazz for me today.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Mrs. E, enjoy Jazz Fest!!!! I am staring at my framed poster from 1986, which hangs just above my computer Love this time of year in New Orleans!

Theorema Esprit D'Ete again today.

elizrj, the few times I eat lasagne (lunch is better timing than dinner) I don't mind the noodles, but I do mind that they are made of durum wheat semolina as their glycaemic index is much more favorable versus noodles from plain white wheat flour. I often have funghi porcini in them instead of meat. So very yummy!

Evangeline, that put a smile in my heart this morning. Thank you, and enjoy the party!

I'm wearing Aqua Allegoria Figue-Iris this morning. Heading out the door into a beautiful sunny day here.

Love to all you fine smelling people. xo

Terri, I like your poster today!

elizrj
    , please listen to teardrop -- substitute your pasta with eggplant (I know what some BNers call moussaka -- "mousakaka", right?), spinach, zucca or squash. Carrots might be a good filler, although not particularly flavorful on their own and too sweet. (You might also be surprised that many Italian women sweat 6-7 large onions in oil with a light dusting of flour -- do not tell them we call it French Onions though! -- and a drop of leftover wine and combine it with their meats and tomatoes in a pie/casserole-like dish). You can also add some smoked cheese (Gouda, Provolone) and fresh or sundried tomatoes on top, peppers are a must (many varieteis are available). In general, I think people tend to underappreciate the power of eggplant and consider it arduous, in other words they do not know what to do with the glossy purple piglets. Of course, buying a good quality eggplant might present a challenge on this side of the Pond: most of them appear too tired, disproportionally large, or on their last leg while on the shelf (a good Oriental market might be of help or grow your own, and I remember you do too!). Oh gosh, make me talk of food.....

Or chypres.....

As inspired by another thread, Vero Profumo Mito.

Din Dan by Lostmarch

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    (I know what some BNers call moussaka -- "mousakaka", right?)...
    Every time I order this in a restaurant, I have to check myself that I don't add the extra -ka by accident !

Blog Entries

Lol Twolf, that's one of my all-time favourite movies, it makes me laugh *every* time!

The trick with aubergines (or eggplant) is to slice 'em, cover 'em with salt, leave 'em for a good 90 minutes, rinse, drain, then fry the slices before adding 'em to a dish. This removes all the bitterness & brings out the delicious smoky flavour, while making 'em nice & soft. Yum!

lt's *very* warm here, well into the 20s, & l've just finished pruning my gigantic buddleia (butterfly bush). l had to come inside to cool off before getting the mower out. Phew! They say the cold weather is returning tomorrow, so l count myself very lucky that l've got today off to enjoy this.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

You all are making me so hungry!

Thanks for all the suggestions, teardrop & Twolf. Sapfir, it's not the gluten. I had a gastric surgery, and can only eat about 1/3c of food, and protein is pushed first and foremost. Carbs are dead last. 95lbs down, I find that I'm much better off carbs, since I now know they make me foggy. I'm guessing that's what you're talking about Larimar.

I will try the suggestions tho. I think some eggplant would be great. I'm copying and pasting like mad!! I so miss italian, it used to be my absolute favorite. I love that smoky flavor, the smell of garlic makes me swoon with delight, the cheese stringing out of the dish as you pull a piece of lasagna from the pan.... ok, I should stop now before I start freaking you all out.

Do you suppose our love of perfume also creates a love of flavors? The love of sensory perceptions? The connection of smell and taste? Do perfumistas also have a correlating love of food and flavors? I wonder if we're also more passionate about music, and art, and literature. Curious.

All of the above. My firm belief is that the person can not be gifted just in one field.

I have just cut and pasted all this cooking info, and will use it!! Yes, teardrop, I have heard the salt trick before, but usually forget. Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post

Do you suppose our love of perfume also creates a love of flavors? The love of sensory perceptions? The connection of smell and taste? Do perfumistas also have a correlating love of food and flavors? I wonder if we're also more passionate about music, and art, and literature. Curious.
    Definitely yes to all your questions, here! As Italian who loves Italian cuisine, of course, but also adores to experiment with other suggestions- from Indian to French to East Asian- I developed a parallel fondness for spices, herbs, raw materials,textures and find this other passion of mine to be very supportive of my fondness for perfumes.

Regarding pasta substitute for lasagne, I agree with aubergines: there's a very traditional southern Italian dish made with layers of fried aubergines, tomato sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese- it's called parmigiana di melanzane(= eggplants, aubergines). I'm not too fond of aubergines and I can't give you a trustful recipe, as I never make it, but I guess you can find one in the net- otherwise, if you need, I can try and translate one for you from Italian
    Last edited by iodine; 25th April 2013 at 04:00 PM.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

I know that all of this is true for me -- every single bit of it. I'm convinced there's an epicurean gene that some people have and others don't. It's what makes it possible for the beauty of a sunset to bring me to tears and what the lack of it leads other people (like my ex) to wonder in bemusement (or annoyance) what in the hell is wrong with me. Thankfully, I've learned to embrace it and just enjoy how happy (including to the point of tears) all of these things can make me.

Twolf, my goodness, all I want to do now is cook! (Assuming I manage it through all the drooling.) I, too, have been trying to go easy on the carbs and triglycerides -- the US has real problems with food addiction, and I think the connection between starches/simple sugars and the pleasure centers in the brain are a big part of it. I read that our brains react to starch/simple sugars the same way they do to heroin. Pretty scary when you think about it. I suspect, though, that when I'm celebrating a special occasion (when the impulse is to splurge on pleasure), that's precisely what leads me to Italian food. What I've been trying to do, though, is avoid the pasta dishes and enjoy more meat-focused dishes with the flair of Italian preparation/sauces. I may be addicted to red sauces (of all kinds). Cream sauces -- meh.

So, instead of eggplant, could one use portobello mushrooms (the big, meaty ones, I mean) in place of pasta? I love me some fungii!

I'm wearing Impossible Iris today -- and still *loving* it. My 5ml decant is quickly going to become a full bottle.

(((iodine))) I hope your political situation sorts itself out soon.

(((cello))) Whether you need them or not.

Basenotes Institution

Vetiver (vintage EdT + soap + After Shave Balm) by Guerlain

Happy Birthday to the_good_life!
    Jon - LOVE the Habit Rouge ads.
    Larimar - I agree that vintage VdN can be fleeting but there is a watery, tart depth to it that fascinates me. I 'get' it in the vintage EdC that I have only a few drops of left.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    I know that all of this is true for me -- every single bit of it. I'm convinced there's an epicurean gene that some people have and others don't. It's what makes it possible for the beauty of a sunset to bring me to tears and what the lack of it leads other people (like my ex) to wonder in bemusement (or annoyance) what in the hell is wrong with me. Thankfully, I've learned to embrace it and just enjoy how happy (including to the point of tears) all of these things can make me.
    Oh yes, me too! And l enjoy my food so much sometimes that it's hard to stop my eyes rolling back in my head & making "mmmmm" noises. Some folks seem to find that embarrassing.
    l think "sensualist" is a good word for it; that special enjoyment we get from smells, tastes, sounds, sights, textures, etc., that not everyone seems to share. Embracing it is the only way to go!

Lol, loving all the food talk! Hubby says I do a "yummy dance" in my chair every time I have a dish I really love. Was unbeknownst to me until he pointed it out! Yes, I believe we perfume lovers are simply sensual creatures by nature. It does seem that we are passionate about all of our pleasures: smells, foods, music, gardens, our homes, whatever feeds our senses. Also can't help but notice how smart we are, lol! Seriously, this is overall one of the more intelligent groups of people I've had the pleasure of knowing.

G., go ahead and rub it in! Jealous as usual here. Have a great time!

And Larimar, how exciting! Hope your visit with your dad is just wonderful!

HdP Tubereuse 1 today, hugs to all!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

If I were not being pulled so strongly toward the light (as in "sunshine," not heaven's door) right now, I would catch up with my favorite smelly peeps here. Just popped in for at least a running "high five" to you all.

Later, dudes & dudettes.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Gris Clair.

Basenotes Plus

Elizrj, I would answer yes to all of your questions. I think those of us who love perfume, have a huge appreciation of the beauty of scents and know how much it enhances our lives. It's only natural it would carry over to our other senses as well. We appreciate and want beauty in all areas of our lives.

Wearing Vivienne Westwood Boudoir this afternoon.

Last edited by Kiliwia; 25th April 2013 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Seriously, this is overall one of the more intelligent groups of people I've had the pleasure of knowing.
    Hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    G., go ahead and rub it in! Jealous as usual here.
    Same here.

What a delicious and at the same time philosophical this SOTD is. I absolutely agree with elizrj and ExtremeK - if there is nothing beautiful to cry over, then life is not worth living in my humble opinion.

Was never more proud to be part of the exclusive dudettes club as I am today. And I will cherish dreams of seeing PerfumedLady perform her special "yammy dance" live.

HdP Tubereuse 2 - Virginale.

Quote Originally Posted by ladymurasaki View Post
    Liked this photo thanks for posting.

Day four of my Iris week, Iris Ukiyo.
    What I've Been Wearing:

Thumbs up Re: SotD Thursday, 25 April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Sapfir View Post
    Elizrj, cannot you eat glutenfree pasta?

ROBERTO, can you compare this to Caron PUH?
    LPBL is a lighter version of the PUH. Nice cologne
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Blog Entries

SOTE is Poison Esprit de Parfum; a sample from way in the back of the wardrobe.

Hello,

I wish I could post more often, I keep promise myself that I will from now on!
    I am intensely interested in politics lately, and this takes up most of my free time...

I must confess that after all this talk of tasty food, I still don't feel like cooking...
    There is no hope for me!

A very hot day here, I am not ready for summer yet!
    I was wearing
    24 Faubourg.

SotE

Cuir Pleine Fleur Eau de Parfum by HEELEY

- - - Updated - - -

*dora* we are scent twins today

Hello again!

Y'all are making me hungry, too. I like cooking Italian because it's so straightforward and simple. As long as you have good, fresh ingredients, most of which are basic and quite easy to find, it's really hard to screw up. And although making pasta from scratch is a total breeze, nothing else I've done seems to impress guests more ...even if you forget to put the eggs in the cannelloni filling (which I did a few weeks ago, lol) you can still get rave reviews!

Alrighty then, enough about Italian - I've got gumbo to make! And I'm in ELdO Rossy de Palma for the afternoon. You folks enjoy the rest of your day!

Thanks cello, thanks lilybelle! The real party doesn't start until tomorrow (so once again, there's still plenty of time to get here!) but there are a few receptions and kick-off parties tonight that are always pretty spectacular. But I've got to say, I'm just so relieved that Tony's excited about it ...I'm always thinking that he's gonna reach his limit at any moment, but he seems to be fully acclimated to the culture by now ...he even has a bit of an accent, much to his mother's dismay.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Oh yes, me too! And l enjoy my food so much sometimes that it's hard to stop my eyes rolling back in my head & making "mmmmm" noises. Some folks seem to find that embarrassing.
    I do this ALL the time! My boyfriend, who also luckily has the "sensualist" gene, has become very adept at anticipating when that will happen -- the other night he fed me a bite of his lamb kabob and actually counted down "3, ... 2, ... 1 ..." HA!

I share Whitefluffy's dreams of seeing PerfumedLady's yummy dance in person

E, have a *fantastic* time!!
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 25th April 2013 at 09:49 PM.

I've pressed "pick me something random to wear" - Santal Blanc by SL is my lucky dip.

Have a good day!

Blog Entries

CB I hate Perfume Black march today!
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

SOTE: TF, Neroli Portofino

Blog Entries

I've been wearing YSL In Love Again today. Now that its warmer I am again enjoying the bright citruses in my wardrobe.

Yesterday's snow is gone, but there was a slight bit of frost on my car windshield this morning ... can't retire the ice scraper just yet. The snow actually broke a record for latest day in the year for snow and that has stood since 1912! Still wearing a spring-like fragrance today: Cuir de Lancome. Although I wear this year round, the hawthorne note very much reminds me of spring.

Regarding pasta-less lasagna: I have made a zucchini lasagna using a vegetable slicer lengthwise. This keeps the slices thin enough to be a little soft after baking. And while I LOVE eggplant, I think it tastes better breaded and fried. I don't really need those extra calories, so the zucchini is a healthier option for me.

Evangeline, enjoy the Jazz Fest! Be sure to let us know which musicians you hear.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Joining leather wearers for tonight: Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste. M-m-m-m!