Code of Conduct

Default About to make a blind buy

I cannot sample Chanel Allure Edition Blanche or Guerlain Homme Intense where I live. Are these safe blind buys? I really don't like the idea of it but I have to in this case. I don't get very good projection or longevity so the Intense version was a given for me. Issey Miyake lasts 2 hours tops ony skin. Anyways I digress. Can anyone help me with this conundrum? Thanks.

Default Re: About to make a blind buy

Quote Originally Posted by kpzo View Post
    I cannot sample Chanel Allure Edition Blanche or Guerlain Homme Intense where I live. Are these safe blind buys? I really don't like the idea of it but I have to in this case. I don't get very good projection or longevity so the Intense version was a given for me. Issey Miyake lasts 2 hours tops ony skin. Anyways I digress. Can anyone help me with this conundrum? Thanks.
    I would say yes they are, especially for the Guerlain

Basenotes Member

If projection and longevity is what you're after, I don't think Edition Blanche will do it for you. It stays quite close to the skin. I've never sampled the Guerlain so I can't say anything about that one.

I cannot sample Chanel Allure Edition Blanche or Guerlain Homme Intense where I live. Are these safe blind buys?
    IMO Yes.

Never smelled the Guerlain

EB is a lemon cream pie/lemon meringue pie. I get great longevity from it, yet others complain that it only lasts a few hours.

No blind buy is ever safe, hope this helps with your "conundrum" lol #wordoftheday.

I could not recommend blind buying either of those fragrances....unless you don't mind spending money on fragrances you don't like.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

No, don't. They are fairly generic in my opinion.

TdH, 212,and Cartier Roadster are the only others I have been considering.

Default Scent

I own the Chanel and it's great, but I advise never to buy blind.

I would prefer not to but in this case I have no choice. Unless I can purchase samples online there's virtually no way I can sample these. I have TdH samples but have been unable to get these.

They're not generic smelling fragrances, and they're both very good. I also think blind buying is a fun way to go about things.

HOWEVER, Guerlain Homme Intense actually projects LESS than Guerlain Homme. The intense version lasts longer, and is on the darker side (compared to the regular edt) but it does not project more.

I like both the intense and the regular. If it's longevity you're going for, choose the intense. If it's projection, choose the regular version. If you're looking for a bright, summery fragrance, the regular works better. The regular also has a better mojito note up top. So the first hour is better, imo. However the dry down of the intense is superior.

BTW, this is often the case with "Intense" versions. They last longer but sit closer to the skin.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 25th April 2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spell check is a mutha...

Try are safe blind buys but I have not tested their projection

Honestly, Chanel Edition Blanche is definitely safe all across the board. If you enjoy lemon and vanilla, this one is going to impress. Longevity isn't bad either but sillage is rather close to the skin. As for Guerlain Intense, I can' say that I'd recommend it as a blind buy. Put it this way, it's a summer scent that's better suited for colder months, at least for me. It carries over the mint mojito skeleton of the original but adds, as Buysblind put it, a "darker side". The main notes are just amped and almost too dense but still toned enough for a spray or two in the warmer months. If you own the original, they're almost 90% similar so I'd recommend saving your money on this one but if you're a collector, go for it! Both are solid frags for sure.

Honestly I'm kind of leaning towards Guerlain Homme and not the intense version now haha

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly I'm kind of leaning towards Guerlain Homme and not the intense version now haha

surrender to chance has them. just buy samples online. what if you end up not liking it? do not waste your money.

If those are legit samples I'd rather go that route. Thanks a lot.

Banned
    Blog Entries

My general rule of blind buying. Don't blind buy ANYTHING unless you are okay with the risk that you won't be happy with it.

Given your situation, I would go ahead -- both are nice -- albeit poles apart note-wise. I prefer the 'Intense' version.

Actually between Guerlain Homme, Guerlain Homme Intense, and Guerlain Homme L'Eau, my favorite is Homme L'Eau--and it's definitely the best summer scent of the three. However, it's become hard to find for some reason. I think Guerlain basically swapped it out for Homme L'Eau Boisee--which I have not tried, but is also supposed to be pretty good, though on the woodier, vetiver side.

Banned
    Blog Entries

No. If issey miyake does not lasts but 2 hours then maybe you need to try some of the old scholl powerhouses. Issey projects great and is a great compliment getter..

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Edition Blanche is a safe blind buy but if you are worried about projection, I would definitely pass on that one. I owned it, and ended up giving it away because the projection was MAYBE 2-3 hours tops. I blind bought Guerlain Homme Intense, and just as someone mentioned above, it does not project very well but lasts awhile, 6-7 hours for me. I ended up giving it away as well though because I needed something to wear on hot days and IMO it is too heavy to suit my needs. Very unique and interesting fragrance though.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles
    Mona di Orio Oud

I ended up buying samples of Guerlain Homme, Chanel EB and Cartier Roadster. I'll check back with my results.

- - - Updated - - -

New Harlem is my next one to try if I can get my nose on a sample. I love coffee scents. I'd like to try Pure Coffee too.

I ended up buying samples of Guerlain Homme, Chanel EB and Cartier Roadster. I'll check back with my results.

- - - Updated - - -

New Harlem is my next one to try if I can get my nose on a sample. I love coffee scents. I'd like to try Pure Coffee too.
    You did the right thing. If you have the chance to sample then sample. No need to blind buy big bottles just because people say they are good. As for the scents, I think EB is very safe and Guerlain intense is not the safest one of Homme line but it can be classified as a safe scent if you like masculine fragrances.

These two are pretty safe blind buys. The Chanel is probably the safer of the two though.

Chanel Allure Edition Blanche is safer.

My choice would be Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

I blind bought EB and it turned out to be one of my most versatile and delicious summer fragrances. Definitely a safe buy if you love citrus and fresh scents.