Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Some laugh... "Tell me your best, strangest, incredible buyl!"

Okay, this is my 400th post on Basenotes, so let's have some fun!

What was your biggest deal, bargain ...or almost-a-steal, in perfumery?

Here's mine:
    - Flea Market: old pins, brooches, rings, necklaces....and a vintage 100 ml "brown bottle" full (full!) YSL M7 for 8 euro (10 dollars), batch 2323 (year 2002), without box, the seller didn't even understand what was "that strange rectangular bottle". One of the most unbelievable moments in my life. Eight euros....

- Garage sale: various anonimous bottles literally "jettisoned over a table"..... a quick search....Yves Saint Laurent "Opium pour Homme" Eau de Parfum (Eau de Parfum!)....full. "How much for this bottle, sir?" "Huh...five euros, okay?" "Ok, Sir, gone!! and if you want it, I offer you a coffee too"
    Five euros (seven dollars) for an ultra powerhouse /rare / incredible amber vibed / hard to find scent. I still can't believe it.

- Perfumery shop with an apparently almost 100-years old lady... dusty shelves... and a single bottle of vintage "Caractère" by Daniel Hechter on the shelf.
    Vintage. Caractère. 100 ml. Splash bottle. Still sealed.
    A Caractère vintage bottle. The "Monument to Castoreum" right in front of me. For me, time stops in that moment...
    "How much, my dear Lady?"
    "Huh.. oh...er....ehm... it's the last bottle....12 euros, allright?"
    "Allright!"

-Arabian shop in Italy, "All you need for 1 euro" style... other that you need for bathroom, garden and kitchen, there is a little shelf with some outdated perfumes.
    "Parfumes for 1 euro, too?" I ask smiling. "No sir, perfumes are for 10-15-20 euros" ....a quick search.... a splash bottle of Kouros vintage.... checking the batch code: year 1994. "Ok, how much this old bottle?" "15 euro and it's gone!" "Ok, since you are a nice guy, I'll give you 15 euros!"

...and finally the most absurd of all.
    Another Flea Market. A closet full with miniatures: "Two euro each" - Huh, let me see....
    1) Derby by Guerlain, EDT, 7.5 ml
    2) Jean Patou pour Homme, EDT, 10 ml
    3) Cool Water by Davidoff original , EDT 5 ml
    4) Jules by Christian Dior, EDT, 9 ml
    5) Habit Rouge by Guerlain (square bottle), 5 ml.
    total?
    "10 euros, Sir"
    ....and I came back home bringing the packet with two hands!!
    Last edited by Andrè Moreau; 25th April 2013 at 04:09 PM.

Default Re: Some laugh... "Tell me your best, strangest, incredible buyl!"

Just last week, I called a store to see if they had anything left of a discontinued fragrance I love. The store was about a 90 minute drive from me and they offered to ship the last bottle they had, but said that if I were to drive out there that they'd "make it worth my while." After they sold me the last 50ml ($200), they gave me their tester which was virtually full, and emptied the contents of their display decanter (over 200ml) into a bottle for me -- and this particular fragrance currently sells on eBay for about $30 per 4ml. Not only that, they loaded me up with freebies, travel atomizers, 20ml bottles, you name it.

The sales person and I had a great chat about perfumery, and I was able to introduce him to some unique scents that his store didn't carry, and am sending him some decants as well.

To be honest, I don't care about the money -- I care about the fragrance, and wonderful customer service such as this!

Also, I recently scored the Blood Concept line from an Urban Outfitters for $10. They're pretty vile, but for $10, they're certainly a better deal than the $160 they usually retail for.
    Last edited by deadidol; 25th April 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Great stories!

SA decanted about 15ml of Invasion Barbare for me - no charge. Mind you, I'd just spent a 'monkey'.

I paid around 20 dollars for a bottle of VINTAGE Captain Molyneux. It was the bargain of a lifetime. I also paid around 10 dollars for a mini bottle of Patou Pour Homme.

Post Thanks / Like

I contacted Ralph Lauren once and asked if I could sample their "Big Pony" line, when it first came out. They ended up sending me (4) 2.5 oz bottles. I went ahead and sampled them all anyways, then sold them to a friend for 50 bucks.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

One I can remember is when I received a free Histoires de Parfums 120ml bottle of 1869 thrown in with an order placed for all their other men's scents at Henri Bendel of NY last year from a great SA who was very accommodating.

I actually never came across such luck.

wow - those are some grt deals...no way is mine compared to the steals gotten by the OP...

Nejma Aoud series - bought all 6 from their website after being in touch with Chritian Bousidan & discussed this line of fragrances (at that time i had sampled only 1 & 2), he ended up sending me 20+ samples, 1 extra 100ml bottle of Nejma Aoud 1 and 1 extra of Puro Intense all complimentary on my order...

Bought 5 refill bottles, all 50ml's of by kilian's - incense oud / st to heaven / a taste of heaven / back to black / cruel intentions - got a 100ml of the Pure oud refill thrown in along with abt 3-4 samples of each of these parfums as well - this was at Holt Renfrew, Bloor St, Toronto - had been in touch with the SA for abt 6 months asking abt kilian's and when i finally did buy those 5, she surprised me with her generosity...All she said was thanks for buying it from here / the store where she works, it helps her...

& i see threads here on BN abt SA's being forceful / ignorant etc etc - my thinking - u get what u give...

I also got the A*Men Parfum de Cuir for abt 60, reason, last box available and packaging was tearing loose, the SA @ The Bay where I go to knows me well, comes by and says, this is the last and told she'd give it for 60+tax, on top of that she gave me 2-3 after shave balms (each 30-50 in size) from AdG / Gucci & Dior's complimentary...It was originally selling for 99+tax.
    Last edited by badarun; 25th April 2013 at 07:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    & i see threads here on BN abt SA's being forceful / ignorant etc etc - my thinking - u get what u give...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    I actually never came across such luck.
    exactly the same, lucky them!
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably the sub $100 cost for a nearly full bottle of Patou pour Homme Prive I acquired last year. I couldn't believe my luck.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

Probably my best deal was Amouage Epic Man 100ml and some other Amouages for only about $50 each.

Post Thanks / Like

Not as great as the others but recently got Antico Caruso 100ml 85% full for $115

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Just last week, I called a store to see if they had anything left of a discontinued fragrance I love ...
    Cool story! What's the fragrance?!

I've done alot of good deals on various flea markets. The best one ever, was this old man with a big box full of old perfumes. Most of the visible ones were Yves Rocher kinda things. But I dug deeper, and what I found was beyond believe. A sealed 1970's Dioressence, parfum, a half full Miss Dior, parfum - both 7,5ml, a sealed 30ml Miss Dior, Esprit de bloody Parfum ... I mean, come on! Who sells things like that so nonchelantly? And cheap as trash at that, 'cause when I asked what he wanted for his perfumes, he answered 10 kroner/$2 a pop. OMG! Trying not to look too excited I kept diggin' and found several goodies.
    The poor bastard didn't have a clue what the hell he was selling. Probably his late mothers stash. Who knows?!

Was at the Bond No. 9 boutique in NYC. I complimented the SA on her appearance (I was serious as hell). She was fine. She ended up giving me about 22 samples (most of which I still have).

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    TF's Amber Absolute. I've got 200+ml of it sitting in a glass oil cruet right now awaiting the arrival of some decanting supplies.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to buy Cravache and Bandit.

They were out of Bandit and were discontinuing the from this particular department store line. So they gave me the virtually full 100ml tester. I did buy two bottles of Cravache though.

Good customer service.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I know a Philippine guy who works at giant perfume store. I used to buy some Creed from him and once he called me and said: "I have three bottles of Creed 120ml, each one only for $55." You know what happened next......

I bought 5 bottles of Gengis Khan 50ml each bottle cost me $6.

A week ago I bought two Montales 100ml Blue Amber and Louban each one cost me $55

A vintage bottle of Creed Royal Delight cost me $20.

50ml of vintage Havana Aramis cost me $7.
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    One I can remember is when I received a free Histoires de Parfums 120ml bottle of 1869 thrown in with an order placed for all their other men's scents at Henri Bendel of NY last year from a great SA who was very accommodating.
    Was her name Allison, perchance?

The freebies I got from her - 100 ml full tester of Al Oudh, 100 ml of Premier Figuier dry body oil, and 100 ml 60% percent full Iris Pallida.

Threads like this make me envious. There are some great stories! My only incredible buy isn't incredible at all by comparison, but it sure made me happy a few months ago when I saw a 100ml box of Gucci Pour Homme (2003) sitting at the back of a shelf in a Sephora. There was no tester, so the only person who would buy it would be someone like me who already knew what it was.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Me and a friend from Basenotes (Saripatates) were visiting Florence together and got something like 15-20 bottles of Miller Harris, 5-7 Lutens and a bunch other fragrances for something like 100 euros total. It was in a store where they were dropping the lines and the SA was quite easy to persuade This was my craziest haul ever. Something like 30 bottles of perfume for a ridiculous amount.

Also got vintage Diorissimo in the baccarat bottle for 25. This was at a flea market.

Flea markets are always my favorites. Got tones of good vintage stuff for dirt cheap...from Balmain to Dior via occasional Guerlains, vintage Piguets, Schiaparelli...always for less than 30 euros.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No such luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in December I found a bottle of Tom Ford Velvet Gardenia on FragranceNet. It was thrilling for me since it was discontinued and I was convinced I'd never find it at any sort of reasonable price.

Great stories above, too.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

That is insane luck you guys have.

I've done alot of good deals on various flea markets. The best one ever, was this old man with a big box full of old perfumes. Most of the visible ones were Yves Rocher kinda things. But I dug deeper, and what I found was beyond believe. A sealed 1970's Dioressence, parfum, a half full Miss Dior, parfum - both 7,5ml, a sealed 30ml Miss Dior, Esprit de bloody Parfum ... I mean, come on! Who sells things like that so nonchelantly? And cheap as trash at that, 'cause when I asked what he wanted for his perfumes, he answered 10 kroner/$2 a pop. OMG! Trying not to look too excited I kept diggin' and found several goodies.
    The poor bastard didn't have a clue what the hell he was selling. Probably his late mothers stash. Who knows?!
    Best yet -- I have dreams like this

Post Thanks / Like

Ebay UK, a guy who never sold perfume but was doing it for a neighbour.

One, he had it in the wrong category, two had no idea what the hell he had.

1960 Extract Caron Fleurs de Rocaille 75mls with the gold wire still intact.

Price to me? £23

I couldn't figure out why no one was bidding on it???? Top notes a little faded but the heart and base perfect.
    DONNA

My first time buying at a Neiman Marcus was during a little Creed fragrance party in the store that I set up with my coworkers. The night before we had 19 people saying they wanted to come, so the store set up food, and tables and champagne to be ready for us when we arrived. The day of the event (after a brush up rehearsal) most everyone was too tired to come. 19 people turned into 4.... I was horrified and beyond embarrassed. But the Creed rep and the ladies there went on with the event and assured us it was no problem, but I could see in their eyes they were a little concerned. After all was said and done we all got some very nice free samples, plenty of food and 3 of us made purchases, the SA's were thrilled. Not familiar with NM's no credit card policy at the time I had to run out into the mall with minutes to spare and get cash for my purchases. They had already given me a few extra samples on top of every one else and then I boldly asked if I could have a small decant of the Royal English Leather. One SA looked around for a empty bottle to spray it in and the other SA walked closer, grabbed the nearly full tester of REL and slipped it in my bag saying, "Shh" with a smile. I started to object since I still felt bad about everyone cancelling and she said "We have done these type of events for 20-30 people and no one bought a single item, they just walk out with free samples, you guys made our day."

I love REL and am so glad to have a bottle of it, especially for the price
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Post Thanks / Like

Never had any good deals buying perfume...

The only decent deal i've managed is a bottle of Kenzo Jungle pour homme for ~$25 from a local market, and a full tester of GpH (2003) for $30.

And these stories are incredible! They do underscore the need to be persistent in the search for what we want, though.

Post Thanks / Like

there was a Creed sale in one of the perfume stores in Moscow, everything was for 50 bucks - Epicea 75 ml, Fleurissimo 75 ml,
    Silver Mountain Water 75 ml, shower gels, soaps etc. and few flacons. I bought my mother a flacon (250 ml) of Angelique Encens for 50 USD.

Post Thanks / Like

Only free samples of about 5 ml each of all clive Christian line including #1 after a good purchase from NM

- - - Updated - - -

Only free samples of about 5 ml each of all clive Christian line including #1 after a good purchase from NM

Why So Serious?
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, let's just say that I received very nice gifts from a fellow Basenoter multiple times, for example he sent me the following for free:

A bottle of Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur and a 30ml decant of Pure Coffee.

Sometimes, ppl of Basenotes really make the community worthwhile, now I try to give back to this community as much as I can.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Amazing! I didnt get quite that deal, but I got a boxed and sealed in the wrap bottle of Egoiste Concentree among a few others, nothing I bought was more than $40 it was the same nonchelantly sold, it was just the same as any bottle that was there, just price as marked, take it or leave it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My luck with fragrance deals is mainly small deals.. like I said in a previous post retail is for suckers, I once added up what I had paid for my collection, and what retail would have cost me and I paid less than 50% or retail on average.
    For Sale: Gengis Kahn, Mona d' Orio, Penhaligons.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    Okay, this is my 400th post on Basenotes, so let's have some fun!

What was your biggest deal, bargain ...or almost-a-steal, in perfumery?

Here's mine:
    - Flea Market: old pins, brooches, rings, necklaces....and a vintage 100 ml "brown bottle" full (full!) YSL M7 for 8 euro (10 dollars), batch 2323 (year 2002), without box, the seller didn't even understand what was "that strange rectangular bottle". One of the most unbelievable moments in my life. Eight euros....

- Garage sale: various anonimous bottles literally "jettisoned over a table"..... a quick search....Yves Saint Laurent "Opium pour Homme" Eau de Parfum (Eau de Parfum!)....full. "How much for this bottle, sir?" "Huh...five euros, okay?" "Ok, Sir, gone!! and if you want it, I offer you a coffee too"
    Five euros (seven dollars) for an ultra powerhouse /rare / incredible amber vibed / hard to find scent. I still can't believe it.

- Perfumery shop with an apparently almost 100-years old lady... dusty shelves... and a single bottle of vintage "Caractère" by Daniel Hechter on the shelf.
    Vintage. Caractère. 100 ml. Splash bottle. Still sealed.
    A Caractère vintage bottle. The "Monument to Castoreum" right in front of me. For me, time stops in that moment...
    "How much, my dear Lady?"
    "Huh.. oh...er....ehm... it's the last bottle....12 euros, allright?"
    "Allright!"

-Arabian shop in Italy, "All you need for 1 euro" style... other that you need for bathroom, garden and kitchen, there is a little shelf with some outdated perfumes.
    "Parfumes for 1 euro, too?" I ask smiling. "No sir, perfumes are for 10-15-20 euros" ....a quick search.... a splash bottle of Kouros vintage.... checking the batch code: year 1994. "Ok, how much this old bottle?" "15 euro and it's gone!" "Ok, since you are a nice guy, I'll give you 15 euros!"

...and finally the most absurd of all.
    Another Flea Market. A closet full with miniatures: "Two euro each" - Huh, let me see....
    1) Derby by Guerlain, EDT, 7.5 ml
    2) Jean Patou pour Homme, EDT, 10 ml
    3) Cool Water by Davidoff original , EDT 5 ml
    4) Jules by Christian Dior, EDT, 9 ml
    5) Habit Rouge by Guerlain (square bottle), 5 ml.
    total?
    "10 euros, Sir"
    ....and I came back home bringing the packet with two hands!!
    Anything stories I could tell would pale into insignificance compared to this.
    Congratulations ..

Post Thanks / Like

- two bottles of Je Reviens around 8-10$ per bottles, thus totaling to about 18-20$, in a local drugstore, discounted by 50%

- a 4711 gift set in the Douglas store on the Kärntner Straße in Vienna, under 10 Euros

- Je Reviens again, this time as a gift set, for about 20$ or around 15 Euros

- not one, but two bottles of Marbert Homme, at around 6-7 Euros per 75 ml bottles (discounted during sales at Karstadt)

- again from Karstadt, this time a Roberto Capucci pour Homme gift set, containing a 100 ml EDT, an EDT miniature and a tube of shower gel, at around 10-12 Euros

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

One of them was Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver 100ml tester, bought for £50 instead of £99.