Code of Conduct

Default I have 15 samples in front of me. How do I try them out quickly?

I know the notes change and all that jazz, but I don't have the patience nor time to sample 15 fragrances. How can I properly test them - alcohol swabs?

Default Re: I have 15 samples in front of me. How do I try them out quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    I know the notes change and all that jazz, but I don't have the patience nor time to sample 15 fragrances. How can I properly test them - alcohol swabs?
    I'd either develop patience and time, or not bother at all.
    If you put them on alcohol swaps, you'll be smelling alcohol swabs.

Maybe put a little dab on different parts of your arms, but limit how many. Yet even this won't give you the full effect of sampling a fragrance accurately.

Simple - no time / patience = mix all the samples into one big vial / diffuser and spray...I am sure it'll be unique, only "one sold in the whole world" parfum...

On a serious note, i've sampled 4 at one go and i had to go back to test 3, so for myself - I find multiple scent testing a waste of time and the scent...

I agree, you need to be patient. I am not the poster child for patience for any means but sometimes patience is needed. I guess you could get cotton balls and apply directly to sniff. I find this method somewhat more telling of a fragrance, rather than spraying it on a piece of paper...considering you don't wear paper.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Maybe put a little dab on different parts of your arms, but limit how many.
    This.

Don't rush through them. It's a good way to waste your samples.

I bought about 40 samples when I joined Basenotes. It's been over 2 months and I've still got about 10-12 that I've not even tried. I've been patient with them, and only wore certain fragrances when I felt in the mood for the type of scent that they are. For example when I wanted something light, I didn't sample a heavy, incense fragrance. It's definitely been the best way to go about it.

I wrote down what I got from each scent as was as detailed as possible and it really helped me remember them and distinguish what I like in fragrances. Maybe that's a bit of overkill, but it really has helped me.

If I'm honest, I think you need patience when it comes to fragrances. If you were to try one of your samples, and you scrubbed it off in the first few minutes as you didn't like the top notes, you may be missing out on something you really like in the base of the perfume. However, if you must rush through them, at least put them on your skin to get a feel for them, rather than a paper test.

Banned
    Blog Entries

it should take 5 days. one differnts sample each time of day. morning,noon and nite

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    it should take 5 days. one differnts sample each time of day. morning,noon and nite
    What's funny is that everyone talks about "notes changing" but for me, I've only smelled notes subsiding! Moreover, if the initial top note is horrible, I won't even bother.

I'd do one in the morning, one at night.

Anyway you can always come back to samples you are not sure about.
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

You may be better off with this

for swap/sale:

I've found the best way to test multiple samples quickly is by using testing strips. It gives you a good general impression. As others have mentioned skin requires patience and you generally don't want to wear more than two at a time, or one on each arm.

You can buy a hundred strips for about 4 dollars. It's worth it, imo.

Pretty solid advice if you don't think you have the patience to wear one at a time on skin through to it's drydown. Personally, I've learned that a thorough skin test, 1-2 at a time max is what works best for me. I've smelled plenty of frags on test strips that either smelled far better or far worse on my skin. For the most part, though, it should give you a pretty good idea of what you'd like to spend even more time testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I've found the best way to test multiple samples quickly is by using testing strips. It gives you a good general impression. As others have mentioned skin requires patience and you generally don't want to wear more than two at a time, or one on each arm.

You can buy a hundred strips for about 4 dollars. It's worth it, imo.

Easiest method: Send them to me. I'll thoroughly test each of the 15 and tell you which one is best and you can just go and buy that.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

This is like asking "How can I read 15 novels quickly?"

You can't.
    A fragrance on paper test strips honestly won't smell very close to how it does on your skin.

Wear one on each hand every day (maybe two on each hand, if they're scents with short longevity)... How can you not have the time to spare a WEEK at most to test fragrances?

Drink them.

I've found that two at a time is about the best I can do. I try and pick two that seem like they might be somewhat related, and test them against each other.

As the others have said, I don't think there's any quick way.

Patience is needed. There is no other way.

Thanks all.

I have an issue. I'll put it on, smell it initially, then I can't smell it anymore no matter what. How can someone test the layering of smells with this?

How do you mean test the layering of smells? As in which fragrance works well layered with another fragrance?

It's probably nose fatigue, a fragrance generally doesn't disappear entirely within minute. Had you been smelling a lot of different samples that day?

Quote Originally Posted by HAllen View Post
    How do you mean test the layering of smells? As in which fragrance works well layered with another fragrance?

It's probably nose fatigue, a fragrance generally doesn't disappear entirely within minute. Had you been smelling a lot of different samples that day?
    Yep, a ton. I would usually take it, leave a sample on for five minutes, and if the top note doesn't work for me I'll toss it. Then I took an alcohol swab and wiped it down, let it dry, and apply another.

Yeah it's maybe that you've just tired out your olfactory senses.

I've never heard of anyone sample fragrances like that before though haha.

Why rush? Why not enjoy the whole process and the whole scent from start to finish before deciding whether you would like to buy it or not?

I understand that there are times when one has to drive a long distance to arrive as early as possible and then there is no choice but to focus on the arrival as the destination, but in other situations I find that if you make the journey the destination then that can be a whole load more fun.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    Why rush? Why not enjoy the whole process and the whole scent from start to finish before deciding whether you would like to buy it or not?

I understand that there are times when one has to drive a long distance to arrive as early as possible and then there is no choice but to focus on the arrival as the destination, but in other situations I find that if you make the journey the destination then that can be a whole load more fun.
    My thoughts exactly.

Do try to wait for the dry, OP. I'm not the biggest fan of the opening of Spiritueuse Double Vanille, but the dry down is absolutely magnificent in my few. I'm more than happy to wait for the top notes to pass in order to smell the drydown.

You never know, the scents you're wiping off may smell fantastic to you in a few hours.

Yep, a ton. I would usually take it, leave a sample on for five minutes, and if the top note doesn't work for me I'll toss it. Then I took an alcohol swab and wiped it down, let it dry, and apply another.
    That sounds counterproductive. The top notes are the least lasting part of the fragrance. A fragrance might give you hours and hours of pleasure in the heart and base notes, but you're throwing it away if the first five minutes, which will likely only last perhaps five to thirty minutes, don't please you. And, perhaps even worse, the fragrances that you love in the first five minutes, and therefore might end up buying(?), you might hate after thirty minutes. Unless you deliberately seek out only completely linear fragrances, this is not going to be a way to find a fragrance.

Also, an alcohol swab is unlikely to remove all traces; for fragrances two to n, you're not even getting a true impression of the top notes.

If you really can't bear to wear one at a time, a better procedure than the one that you're following would be to apply four fragrances, on each on the top and bottom of each of your upper arms. I do that when I'm visiting a fragrance counter that I won't be able to get back to anytime soon.

I would usually take it, leave a sample on for five minutes, and if the top note doesn't work for me I'll toss it.
    Chances are the alcohol you're applying is a) screwing up your nose even more than multiple testing b) drying out your skin to the point that any scent will just soak right into it c) contaminating the scent and causing it to simply burn off right away.

I'm curious as to what you mean "if the top notes don't work, I'll toss it"? You know top notes are not the main scent of a fragrance right? They're just the introduction and are usually gone very fast.

To be honest, it sound like you're not actually testing them at all but are just wasting them. What's the rush? Try one a day!

Oops: looks like ChickenFreak beat me to it.