Code of Conduct

Default Gucci Pour Homme I

So. I was finally able to track down a 3.4 oz of Gucci Pour Homme I at a brick and mortar store for a decent price. Boy am I glad I did!

This scent is AMAZING! So smoky and woody, like a campfire burning cedar. For the life of me I can't imagine why they retired this and (supposedly but I don't think so) GPH II. What a joke!!

I thought that Dirty English and Zirh Ikon would be adequate substitues, and perhaps ignorance is bliss. However, now that I know what GPH I smells like, I realize they do not hold up (IMO). They are both very nice, but different.

Add me to the list of GPH I fanboys, I will cherish this bottle!

Default Re: Gucci Pour Homme I

Congrats. GPH II is a good one also. Other than the longevity issue, it's a good one. Too bad you don't like it.

I don't have any longevity issue with Gucci PHII, it lasts easily 6 hours on me with projection.
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by rybot View Post
    So. I was finally able to track down a 3.4 oz of Gucci Pour Homme I at a brick and mortar store for a decent price. Boy am I glad I did!

This scent is AMAZING! So smoky and woody, like a campfire burning cedar. For the life of me I can't imagine why they retired this and (supposedly but I don't think so) GPH II. What a joke!!

I thought that Dirty English and Zirh Ikon would be adequate substitues, and perhaps ignorance is bliss. However, now that I know what GPH I smells like, I realize they do not hold up (IMO). They are both very nice, but different.

Add me to the list of GPH I fanboys, I will cherish this bottle!
    Count yourself among the lucky ones able to track down one of these, and enjoy it.

Consider yourself lucky
    Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    I don't have any longevity issue with Gucci PHII, it lasts easily 6 hours on me with projection.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Congrats. GPH II is a good one also. Other than the longevity issue, it's a good one. Too bad you don't like it.

No no, I actually really enjoy GPHII and will be finding this to add to my collection as well - I meant it was a joke that Gucci discontinued GPH I - It smells more expensive than it's price point and considering that it came out in 2003, is quite different than the more recent offerings from the major houses!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

GPHI is an amazing scent as far as I am concerned. It is masculinity in a bottle. Too bad its been discontinued.

OK. My fault. I misunderstood you. Enjoy that GPH I. One day, I will be able to get a hold of that one. Enjoy bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by rybot View Post
    No no, I actually really enjoy GPHII and will be finding this to add to my collection as well - I meant it was a joke that Gucci discontinued GPH I - It smells more expensive than it's price point and considering that it came out in 2003, is quite different than the more recent offerings from the major houses!

I'm very pleased to own both I & II (albeit in relatively modest quantities). Both excellent scents IMO. I probably marginally prefer II, but that's just personal preference. Both are superb.

GPH I is a wonderful fragrance for sure. I also am not sure why they discontinued it. I am sure they have a valid reason.

Ikon & Dirty English play in the same corner of the universe, but are not substitutes. Carbone de Balmain (my SotD) is, IMO, an attempt to emulate GPH I. Not quite as good, but an acceptable substitute if / when the Gucci becomes unobtainable.

Basenotes Member

GPH I is what rekindled my fragrance addiction a few years back. Love it love it love it!

Banned
    Blog Entries

this is why i have 4 bottles of gph 1 and 2 bottles of gph 2

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    OK. My fault. I misunderstood you. Enjoy that GPH I. One day, I will be able to get a hold of that one. Enjoy bro.
    Totally worth it - not for $150, but almost. Believe the hype!

Enjoy, it's a good one!

I don't think Gucci PH 2 has been discontinued though...there's been lots of talk about it but I don't remember seeing it officially confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Enjoy, it's a good one!

I don't think Gucci PH 2 has been discontinued though...there's been lots of talk about it but I don't remember seeing it officially confirmed.

I think you're right. Lots of talk but no official word. It's still on the Gucci website too.

I found a 100ml bottle of Gucci pour Homme I at regular retail, and I'm still just knocked out at the good luck. Wow, what an amazing fragrance. One of the all-time-great bottles, too. Even has a nice box. A real find if you stumble upon it in any unsuspecting retail outlet. Pounce. You will be very glad you did.

Tommy Bahama smells closest to it. Almost identical.

I don't use it much, but I'm glad I still have a bottle.

Gucci Pour Homme I truly is a masterpiece. It's really more like two entirely different scents. It starts with that huge Cathedral incense that has a touch of citrus. Hours later, it morphs into a softer woody amber.

I'm one of the fortunate ones who get outstanding longevity from Gucci Pour Homme II. I easily get 10+ hours from it. And it doesn't sit close to my skin at all.

Both Gph I and II are superb.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Tommy Bahama smells closest to it. Almost identical.

I don't use it much, but I'm glad I still have a bottle.
    Oh, no it doesn't. Yick! I have both. Tommy Bahama has a pencil shavings note that's reminiscent of Gucci Pour Homme, but that's about the only similarity. Tommy Bahama is like Gph Light, and there's something in it that smells cheap and kind of nasty to my nose. And it doesn't transform into a woody amber the way Gph does. It just fades away. Gph smells like an ancient cathedral. Tommy Bahama smells like pencil shavings.

People also often say CdG 2 Man smells like Gph, but that one's even more different. 2 Man is really good though.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

It is a great incensy scent as well as CdG incense line. I like but usually don´t look for it often.

Your a lucky man.

It's the woodiest scent I own.
    The only problem I have with this scent is that it smelled just like my backyard after I had four trees removed - so when I wear it, I always start humming the Lumberjack song.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Congrats, sir, a worthy catch indeed!

I've heard of the comparisons to Tommy Bahama and CdG. I'll have to sample those since I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    ...Oh, no it doesn't. Yick! I have both... Tommy Bahama is like Gph Light, and there's something in it that smells cheap and kind of nasty to my nose... People also often say CdG 2 Man smells like Gph, but that one's even more different. 2 Man is really good though.
    Agreed.

Tommy Bahama and CD2 Man? What are some people thinking!

They smell quite different to GpH. Quite different.

I haven't smelled Gucci pour Homme in quite a long time but from memory the fragrance that reminds me of it most is the also discontinued Gucci Rush pour homme. Both such great frags. Pity they are gone now.