Code of Conduct

Default So, I sold my old cologne...

I was getting tired of the cologne/fragrances that I had, most of them I never used anyway. Now, I have some extra cash to purchase a few new ones. I've been sampling/reading over the last two months or so and this is what I've come up with for a list of what to purchase.

As a side note, all of these are decants, I'm really not the type of person who needs a special bottle - I just want the cologne. Also, I like to change it up a lot and I'm very light on the trigger normally...so a full bottle, say 2.5oz or something, lasts me a longgg time...

Anyway, here's the list. They're not in any particular order. Let me know if you would remove anything, in your opinion, or if something is maybe too similar.

1. Heely Sel Marin - going for a clean fresh scent....

2. Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille - I just really like this scent. I'd wear this if I was going somewhere special or something.

3. Hermes Terre D'Hermes - Just smelled this one today. I haven't worn it, but I liked it enough on paper. If any of you think it changes a lot please let me know.

4. Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi - Another fresh, clean, fruity scent. This was recommended to me in another thread. I smelled this today as well and I definitely enjoyed it.

5. Victor and Rolf Spice Bomb - I'm really torn between either dropping this one, or the next one. I like this one because it's got this sweet scent in the beginning compared to the next one, but this one doesn't last long at all. I may drop it.

6. L'Occitane Eau des Baux - To me it smells very similar to #5, but its a little softer on me and lasts longer. Doesn't have that sweet (bubblegum?) scent upfront though. I get more vanilla out of this one. I might have to try this one again before I buy it as well.

7. Creed Aventus - I'm debating on this one or millesime imperial. At first, I didn't like either of these, but after going back to them and actually wearing them, they definitely grew on me.

8. Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur - I've actually yet to try this one. I may order a smaller sample first before buying it. This was another recommendation for a clean, fresh, minty scent.

9. MDCI Invasion Barbare - Another one that I've been looking at. I chose this one because I'm looking for that clean, barbershop smell. Many reviewers on here have mentioned this is just that. I have yet to try this one as well, so if someone has a different opinion, let me know.

10. Any others? Should I maybe drop some, or replace some for something different?

Default Re: So, I sold my old cologne...

I think you have a very nice selection as it is.

(3168)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

You have a great list there! Just sample a lot more to finalize everything. I think maybe you need another cooler weather scent though.

Just FYI, if Spicebomb doesn't last long on you that Malle will be gone in half the time. Which is very different from others in his line. But everything you are contemplating are good choices.

A great list. Your nose will decide for you!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Nice list..
    I would add a Mugler scent or 2..
    Also CDG for incense- Avignon is the popular frag here..

I like the list....Very nice indeed...
    FOR SALE:

Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

Brecourt Esprit Mondain 1.7 oz.

Agree with everyone else - that is a good list!

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
    You have a great list there! Just sample a lot more to finalize everything. I think maybe you need another cooler weather scent though.
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm still trying to get my nose on one that I like. I live in south Texas though, so it doesn't get very cold down here, and when it does it doesn't last long.

Best thing you could have done for yourself! Out with the old and unused and in with the new! I do this from time to time as well.

I love a lot of the perfumes on your list. Keep searching!

Quote Originally Posted by boomer029 View Post
    3. Hermes Terre D'Hermes - Just smelled this one today. I haven't worn it, but I liked it enough on paper. If any of you think it changes a lot please let me know.

I love TDH on paper because it has excellent green earthy quality but on my skin it smells like sweaty balls with orange juice and cloying pepper (earthy elements are gone). So you better try it on your skin...
    TOP 4 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 4 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme

Very nice list!

If you live in s texas, then probably you may want to consider more fresh stuff. For the humid heat, I like vetivers a lot. They work very well here in DC in the summer. Many, primarily in $$$ niche, to choose from. My best two are Malle Vetiver extraordinaire (freshest, driest), and Chanel Sycomore (more elgant, woody). But there are many others to choose from, including Lubin Vetiver, Goutal vetiver (not to be confused with the new edc/eau de, which is good, but it's an eau, that is, it doesn't last long), and Dior Vetiver (which is being discontinued. This one is perhaps the strongest).

As for what to bump out of your list, personally I find Creed a bit overpriced, but it has many estimators. Btw spicebomb and eau de baux, I think the latter is simpler, better, and cheaper. For fresh minty, Geranium is good, but I much prefer the much cheaper Lush Dirty, which is zingier and more fun.

cacio

I'm with Cacio, you should add a vetiver. Adding to his list, I would say GIT or Original Vetiver, you can find them fairly cheap at some of the online discounters. Like the current list though!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I love TDH on paper because it has excellent green earthy quality but on my skin it smells like sweaty balls with orange juice and cloying pepper (earthy elements are gone). So you better try it on your skin...
    Thanks for letting me know this! My wife wasn't a fan of it either, but I liked it, so I was planning on buying it. I'll probably give it a second thought

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Very nice list!

If you live in s texas, then probably you may want to consider more fresh stuff. For the humid heat, I like vetivers a lot. They work very well here in DC in the summer. Many, primarily in $$$ niche, to choose from. My best two are Malle Vetiver extraordinaire (freshest, driest), and Chanel Sycomore (more elgant, woody). But there are many others to choose from, including Lubin Vetiver, Goutal vetiver (not to be confused with the new edc/eau de, which is good, but it's an eau, that is, it doesn't last long), and Dior Vetiver (which is being discontinued. This one is perhaps the strongest).

As for what to bump out of your list, personally I find Creed a bit overpriced, but it has many estimators. Btw spicebomb and eau de baux, I think the latter is simpler, better, and cheaper. For fresh minty, Geranium is good, but I much prefer the much cheaper Lush Dirty, which is zingier and more fun.

cacio
    I've tried the original vetiver by creed. It wasn't my favorite, but I can see how I could enjoy it if it was done a little different. I'll have to give those vetivers a try.

As far as GIT ...It's just a little too green for me

I'd consider Midnight in Paris EDP as a candidate for the 6 hole.
    Its really impressed me in the short period of time I've had it.

Definitely sample Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur before buying. I sampled it and found it a bit too feminine for my tastes.

Original vetiver doesn't smell like most other vetivers to me. To me it smells soapy (evidently the brand doesn't appeal to me). Vetiver per se smells zingy and slightly grassy. It is a touch green, though, but not much - so if you really like no green at all, it might not appeal. Worth trying nonetheless. A vetiver that shouldn't be difficult to smell in stores is Tom Ford Grey vetiver, which is quite good too, though I prefer the others mentioned above.

cacio

As far as the incense, I've tried Bois d'Ascese by Naomi Goodsir. I definitely liked it at first, I'm not sure why it didn't make the list. It lasted forever on me and it really projected. I've heard some reviews about it not lasting long, but that definitely wasn't the case. However, after a few hours it just became too much and I thought about washing it off. I definitely still enjoyed somethings about it though.

I don't know if you really need 2, 5 and 6. You seem to love TV so that's a keeper, and my personal preference for an every dayer in the same vein would be Eau des Baux.

As far as barbershop scents I would recommend trying a few more Acqua di Parma's. Especially Colonia Assoluta and Essenza. If it is available locally you might want to also try Forte + Forte by Profumi del Forte or Tom Ford's Azure Lime. I have never smelled it myself (and am dying to) but have read many positive things about Profumum Acqua Viva. A non-sweet lemon-centric scent that apparently lasts for ages.

For an incense fix try Tom Ford's Sahara Noir, Montale Full Incense or any of the CdG Incense Series. I would recommend Amouage Interlude Man but in the south Texas heat it might be near nuclear.

Very Nice.

Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur - I've actually yet to try this one. I may order a smaller sample first before buying it. This was another recommendation for a clean, fresh, minty scent.
    Holy cow. Do NOT buy that without sampling it first. It's really good, but it's wild. It's unlike anything I'd ever smelled before. I enjoyed sampling it, but I gave away the rest of my sample because I knew it wasn't something I'd wear. That stuff is wild.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

2. Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille - I just really like this scent. I'd wear this if I was going somewhere special or something.

def worth it if its in your price range

on the skin, it's more woody and dusty in the drydown. it's not as sparkly and peppery as it is on paper. its still good but please try on the skin first.

5. Victor and Rolf Spice Bomb - I'm really torn between either dropping this one, or the next one. I like this one because it's got this sweet scent in the beginning compared to the next one, but this one doesn't last long at all. I may drop it.

if you like it, keep it. or try it a bit more and see what you think in a month. dont be quick to drop it.

7. Creed Aventus - I'm debating on this one or millesime imperial. At first, I didn't like either of these, but after going back to them and actually wearing them, they definitely grew on me.

special occasion scent. not vital but still worth having if you have room. when it does click with you, it really is special.
    quotations above

As far as the vetiver, I know this one isn't the cleanest one, but has anyone tried Hermes Hermessence Vetiver Tonka? Would this fit the list well?