Code of Conduct

Default Tom ford Grey vetiver vs Guerlain Vetiver

Hello to everyone, new here..

How similar are they? Unfortunately i can't find Guerlain Vetiver anywhere to try it. Does it last long? The GV lasts for ever..
    Guerlain is significantly cheaper than Tom ford here in Greece, about half the price..

Default Re: Tom ford Grey vetiver vs Guerlain Vetiver

You should be able to try Guerlain Vetiver at the Guerlain counter of most larger department stores (that is, assuming you are in the US and live near a large mall with a big department store with a Guerlain counter ). I find them to be close, but Grey Vetiver has more citrus, which makes it more "clean and modern." The Guerlain has a little more going on with the spices and tobacco. My wife much prefers the Tom Ford (which has better performance, IMO-- the Tom Ford is an EDP? and I own the Guerlain EDT), but I like them both and can justify owning both of them. My wife once said the Guerlain "smells like vomit" and then said it "smells like an old man." I disagree completely and love both.

Thanks for the reply, as i mentioned im located in Greece.
    Tom ford comes as EDP and EDT but Guerlain only in EDT! The smell of the Tom Ford is amazing i love it!

Basenotes Member

I can't speak for Guerlain Vetiver but i'm wearing TF Grey Vetiver today and it's performing great.

They definitely smell different. I love Grey Vetiver. The Guerlain is quality but not my style, though I see why people woudl like it

Grey Vetiver is more of a "crowd pleasing" citrus and vetiver combination. Guerlain is more about the vetiver and more or less a "reference" vetiver fragrance. The two are nothing alike and I would advise testing the Guerlain before making a blind purchase.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Both are excellent, but in different ways. Guerlain Vetiver is more of a true vetiver scent. It is clean, but not overly fresh, while Grey Vetiver is a bit brighter and fresher. Grey Vetiver has excellent longevity and versatility and is one of by top 5 vetiver fragrances.

If someone is looking for a vetiver to begin exploring vetiver scents, I would recommend Guerlain Vetiver. If someone is looking for a long-lasting compliment getter that they could wear in almost any situation or any season, I would say Grey Vetiver.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Is there any similar Grey Vetiver fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by fatals View Post
    Closest thing IMO is Roja Dove Vetiver, if you feel like wasting a LOT of extra money... Nothing similar that is cheaper that I know of.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I know and love both, but unfortunately I do not know any fragrance truly similar to TF Grey Vetiver. Though very different, they both perform and last very well, with the observation (at least, from what I noticed) that Guerlain Vetiver tends to last and project less, even though it can still be perceived for many hours but (again, based on strictly personal experiences) more as skin scent.

Well, if you can't find Guerlain Vetiver to sample, I definitley would not blind buy it. It's a lot different than Grey Vetiver. It's very strong, soapy, tons of neroli, very green, and more.. well let's say.. "old" smelling. Grey Vetiver on the other hand follows the new school route of a vetiver based fragrance, dominated with citrus.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Basenotes Junkie

Sounds like you truly like GV. Only one solution...

Rick

From your comments i guess it's a fragrance for older people than me <30
    Thank you all again.

They smell different to me. Guerlain Vetiver is a much more pleasant choice for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime is, despite the name, highly reminiscent of TF Grey Vetiver to my nose. A lighter version, westing closer to the skin, but of reasonable longevity.

I hate the Guerlain but love the Tom Ford.. Tom Ford is far more accessible and pleasing to the average nose.. The Guerlain smells dated and has a smoky type of quality to it..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    My niche and designer decant thread (Atelier, Frapin, Creed, Christian Lacroix, Ferre etc): http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....9f250dfc84af37

I love Guerlain Vetiver. I'm 36, so not an old man by any means, but I can understand how some people interpret an old man smell from it. I believe that's due in large part to the strong aromatic bergamot and lemon in the opening, but these notes fade during the drydown and the scent progresses to a more green earthy reference vetiver with some tobacco that lends a certain sweetness. Not sure if you're familiar with Habit Rouge, but that's another Guerlain with an intense citrus opening that can feel old-mannish, but the real beauty of both these frags is in the drydown.

Grey Vetiver is more modern, bright, clean, almost soapy. Very different from the Guerlain but I do like it as well, tested it a few times and will probably buy it eventually.

Tom ford comes as EDP and EDT
    GV is EDP only. Excellent perfume for summer!

I own both but only wear Grey Vetiver.

The Guerlain vanishes from my skin after about 1 hour - I like it but can't live with it

I blind bought Guerlain Vetiver and absolutely love it. The drydown is even better once the tobacco comes in. Grey Vetiver is a bit more modern and has more citrus. Both last 6-8 hours on my skin but for a deeper more earthy vetiver, Guerlain is the better of the two.

Of the two I prefer Grey Vetiver. It's modern where Guerlain is classic. To me Grey Vetiver is far more accessible. Guerlain can be a bit rough especially in the opening and mid. The drydown is where it really shines.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Grey Vetiver is more of a "crowd pleasing" citrus and vetiver combination. Guerlain is more about the vetiver and more or less a "reference" vetiver fragrance. The two are nothing alike and I would advise testing the Guerlain before making a blind purchase.
    This.

I totally agree with comments about the TF GV being much cleaner, citrus-y, and somewhat soapy. That is a classy fragrance! I feel like I need to put a suit and tie on immediately after spraying it! I just got a sample, but probably won't buy it because I'm 26 and the scent makes me feel poor in comparison (haha).

Does anyone have any experience with Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee? From the description and reviews people say it's earthy and a vetiver-type fragrance. How does it compare? (Does it even compare at all to TF GV or Guerlain Vetiver?)

I have Guerlain Homme Intense EDP, but want something a little bit more earthy for everyday/office. (Already have Terre d' Hermes but the scent is very thin and wimpy).
    Last edited by smellyD; 30th April 2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: addition

I'm 28...I think the perfect "all-ages" vetiver is honestly Comme des Garcons Vettiveru. It's a versatile fragrance with vetiver, bergamot, neroli, white cedar notes...so crowd pleasing yet different and very affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by smellyD View Post
    I totally agree with comments about the TF GV being much cleaner, citrus-y, and somewhat soapy. That is a classy fragrance! I feel like I need to put a suit and tie on immediately after spraying it! I just got a sample, but probably won't buy it because I'm 26 and the scent makes me feel poor in comparison (haha).

Does anyone have any experience with Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee? From the description and reviews people say it's earthy and a vetiver-type fragrance. How does it compare? (Does it even compare at all to TF GV or Guerlain Vetiver?)

I have Guerlain Homme Intense EDP, but want something a little bit more earthy for everyday/office. (Already have Terre d' Hermes but the scent is very thin and wimpy).
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

No winner for me it's a matter of a classic take vs a modern take as I personally prefer a modern take(GV)
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

To me there is a note in Guerlain Vetiver which smells like a senior citizen's home, I use to volunteer at.
    A lot of reviewers have mentioned this, even Dan in his youtube review said that lol,
    Grey Vetiver is modern, youthful, refreshing and lasts long on my skin.

If your over 65, Guerlain Vetiver is a great option, otherwise NO.

If you want something more earthy, I highly suggest Jack Black's JB parfum at Nordstroms. It comes in an EDP strength and its just 70 bucks.

Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee is a nice, office-friendly scent but the vetiver note is peppery rather than earthy or grassy. I do not think it has much in common with either of the two vetivers you mention.

Anyone finding Guerlain Vetiver dated should try Guerlain Vetiver Extreme, which lacks the tobacco note which I think contributes to that impression.

Guerlain is Led Zeppelin to Tom Ford's Pearl Jam.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    If you want something more earthy, I highly suggest Jack Black's JB parfum at Nordstroms. It comes in an EDP strength and its just 70 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee is a nice, office-friendly scent but the vetiver note is peppery rather than earthy or grassy. I do not think it has much in common with either of the two vetivers you mention.

Anyone finding Guerlain Vetiver dated should try Guerlain Vetiver Extreme, which lacks the tobacco note which I think contributes to that impression.
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'm really curious to try out JB

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk