Code of Conduct

Default Dawn Spencer Hurwitz - anybody sniffed much of this line?

In a recent thread about niche in Denver, I discovered that perfumer Dawn Spencer Hurwitz is based on Boulder, CO, and has a shop there. I had never heard of her.

After checking the web site, http://www.dshperfumes.com/, I see she is quite prolific, and I would blow out my nose trying to sample everything!!

So, I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any highlights in the line that I should definitely check out, ahead of the others. There aren't many reviews in the Directory to help me prioritize, and not all of her line is listed.

Found two previous threads with some info, but not a ton:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/199...urwitz-anybody
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/200...rwitz-Perfumes...

Already on my list: Cafe Noir, Cimabue, Umber (real oakmoss in it, supposedly!), Oude Arabique (mastic, oud and sandalwood, yes please), and Sandalo Inspiritu (All very expensive), and I'm also interested in Almadina Musk and few others from the less expensive line. It seems that the scents in the less expensive line are simpler constructions, but hopefully they use high quality materials.

Thanks for any additional knowledge you might be able to share!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: Dawn Spencer Hurwitz - anybody sniffed much of this line?

Recently sampled Celadon. Didn't think much of it.

I have sampled a few of her perfumes, and all I can say is that i was impressed with her creations. She seems to compose them in a classical way that I really like, making all the three phases distinct and complex and dinamic. Her Cuir et Champignon is a masterpiece for me, one of the driest and most complex leathery fragrances i have tried so far. Her interpration of the Kyphi formula (it seems that it`s an Egypt historical composition) is also great, able to blend spices and resins in order to get an ancient aura but also a kind of gourmand aura too (the opening is like cinnamon and pinch of sugar).
    I enhoyed her formula x, but this is one that i wished it last more. It`s a complex blend of musks that works like a sheer fragrant aura that seems to have aspects of different kind of scents (fruity, powdery, citrusy, musky and balmy aspects was what i could get faintly through its evolution on skin). It`s almost non existent, but it lasts and you can notice the discreet nuances if you pay a little bit more attention.
    So far this is a brand that i still want to try more, the combination of natural materias and synthetic ones is awesome, the fragrances are complex and they don`t seem to be trend oriented, which is a good thing for me.

Thanks hednic - the description of Celadon didn't stand out to me - so I'm not surprised it didn't wow you.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I have sampled a few of her perfumes, and all I can say is that i was impressed with her creations. She seems to compose them in a classical way that I really like, making all the three phases distinct and complex and dinamic. Her Cuir et Champignon is a masterpiece for me, one of the driest and most complex leathery fragrances i have tried so far.

So far this is a brand that i still want to try more, the combination of natural materias and synthetic ones is awesome, the fragrances are complex and they don`t seem to be trend oriented, which is a good thing for me.
    Forgot to mention that one. Not sure how much I will actually like it, but it definitely sounds fascinating...mushroom and leather. I can't imagine what that's like! Glad you like it are impressed with the line; that gives me high hopes!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 9th November 2011 at 05:04 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I haven't had a chance to try anything from the line yet, however, I have seen Menthe Modern recommended many times for mint centric fragrances. That is certainly on my "to try" list.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Thanks hednic - the description of Celadon didn't stand out to me - so I'm not surprised it didn't wow you.

Forgot to mention that one. Not sure how much I will actually like it, but it definitely sounds fascinating...mushroom and leather. I can't imaging what that's like! Glad you like it are impressed with the line; that gives me high hopes!
    Live Jazz, if you like leathery scents in the old style you`ll probably like this one. It`s not equal, but i think you have a huge chance to like it if you already like Le Labo Patchouli, Etro Gomma, Knize Ten, Creed Cuir de Russie and Cartier La Treizieme Heure XIII. Not that Cuir et Champignon is equal or similar, but the leather is dry in the same way, here blended with the mushroom aroma which gives for me a very earthy aura at the opening. There is something smoke-dried at the opening too, that seems to soften as the times goes by. It driesdown to a woody aura of fougere accents. I`d at least get a sample, it`s a great leather scent.

I have samples of Bacha Extreme, Michelangelo, Memory and Desire and Umber. They were the ones I liked after sniffing around for a while. All are good but I haven't bought a fb yet, but I haven't bought a fb of anything for a while now, just samples and decants.

If you like patchouli, amber or vetiver, her "straight" scents with the same titles are really good.

Sampled quite a few and not impressed with any. They all seemed to have a certain chemical smell in them to my nose that puts me off.

Craig, which ones have you sampled? Maybe they are the ones 100% natural composed; a lot of natural fragrances seem to have a brown gummy aroma that is not always pleasant

Almadina musk is nice...it smells a lot like old spice and Aramis mixed together... I really like her musk frags especially her Arabian and china musk. Musk evolution is cool...starts real green and settles to a skin scent.

I find she likes to use patchouli alot...so if you see patchouli liste in her frags know that it will be a dominant note...in fact, if you pm me I will send you some samples that I have
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

AromiErotici

I was very harsh in a blog review of one of her releases. I owned ( and traded ) Inspiritu Sandalo as I expected much more from it.

I'm not taking my opinion back, but I've chosen to leave her releases to others. It's possible there are better releases to sample from her current offerings, but I'd rather not......

I have a small sample of 'Cathedral' - beautiful, sacred.
    "Plastic people look the same" - Ray Davies

I have a consultation with her apprentice Amber next week for a custom fragrance. While I'm there, I'll make sure to sniff around and report back.

Here's That follow up I promised.

My friend and I spent about 5 hours there, each having a personalized perfume made. We also smelled around and talked with Dawn for a while. She's a beautiful, vibrant, amazing woman and you can tell she absolutely loves what she does, and really knows her shit. In addition to the custom perfume, I also picked up a small bottle of Cafe Noir - which is arguably one of the best coffee/dark fragrances I've ever smelled. Her fragrances all share a certain touch, or distinction, that is hard to put a finger on. Perhaps it's her more dominate use of naturals over accords and synthetics. All in all, it was a great experience and I recommend looking into trying a few of her creations. I'm sure she'd be happy to recommend some if you were to call. If you're feeling lucky, though, try Cafe Noir and Poivre.

Great to hear you spent some quality time with DSH.

Sandalo Inspiritu is one of the best renditions of mysore sandalwood I have experienced in a sandalwood prominent perfume but is now discontinued, I believe. I tried emailing to see if there was any way to order some more but no response, unfortunately - after reading this I'll maybe give it one more shot.

Sorry to bump, but i found this thread to be the "most recent" out of the very few threads that exist about this line.

I received samples of Cafe Noir and Seven.

I absolutely love Cafe Noir. It's one of the most authentic coffee based scents i have tried. It's pleasurably wearable and long lasting as well.

What i mostly love about it , besides the lovely coffee beans note, is how the labdanum adds some earthy smokiness to the blend, along with a subtle touch of spiciness thanks to a cinnamon note. I'm sure there are many other notes that are playing part in adding fullness to this wonderful aroma. Highly highly recommended.

Only downside IMO is the asking price of $135 for 30ml edp. I feel it's a little "pushing it".

Regardless, I'm seriously considering a full bottle !
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 1st May 2014 at 10:04 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

DSH has a vast line made up of separately named groups or series that have many styles within each. The diversity of this small house is its strength for their local shop marketing, and also diversity along with the anonymity it creates is DSH's weakness from a broader marketing perspective. No standouts in the line, in my opinion. But this is by design from the perfumer. She does a little bit of everything and every kind of style of perfume. I can't think of a signature fragrance that I can point to that is unique. Maybe someone else here can point out some other "best of" from DSH.

Some that I have enjoyed from the DSH product range are: Dirty Rose, Vintage Patchouli, Bodhisattva, Cuir Champagnion, Oud Arabique, Prana, Earth (DSH Studio), Vetiver, Sandolo Inspiritu. My favorite of these has been Dirty Rose. It is an excellent rose scent.