Code of Conduct

Default I don't get you all sometimes, why buy something not wearable day to day?

Today I sampled Les Nombres d'Or Cuir and Bois d'Ascese. Hoping they were going to be good based off of favorable reviews. Holy HELL - basically smoke or ashtray smells.

Seriously, why would you own this?

Default Re: I don't get you all sometimes, why buy something not wearable day to day?

Default Re: I don't get you all sometimes, why buy something not wearable day to day?

I've not tried the Di Orio but I found the Goodsir extremely wearable, and actualy skipped it because I found the Cuir Velours to be more interesting/unique.

Some of my fragrances, though (Cuir d'Arabie, Jeke, MKK and Eucris), are definitely not daily wears, and this is primarily because of their strength.
    They are almost special occasion scents - I still consider them rather wearable and fairly versatile (save for the Cd'A), but I certainly don't wear them in everyday office life.

Hell, even the mighty Egoiste isn't a daily wear for me.

tim, so what do you wear them then? I can't imagine ever wanting to smell like a leather jacket, or like smoke, or like a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    tim, so what do you wear them then? I can't imagine ever wanting to smell like a leather jacket, or like smoke, or like a fire.
    Cd'A is wonderful if you're going to be in a well-ventilated area, like outside on a cool day - the strength of that juice is staggering! Jeke is similar in that regard - I'd wear either under a light knit, woollen scarf and casual jacket. Cd'A also works well with jeans and a tee at a pub, just give it an hour to settle down. There's no mistaking it for a unisex fragrance, it is a straight-up masculine that can even drown out a sea of 1 Million.

MKK is a fantastic scent for drinks at a lounge bar. It doesn't fill the room like the Montales or Slumberhouses, but when people get close enough to smell you, they'll smell you. This is certainly the most polarising juice I own - most girls I know actively dislike it, but the ones that like it LOVE it. I cannot smell any faecal note that others report, but it's definitely no clean musk.

Eucris is just an elegant scent that, applied sparingly, doesn't become heavy like so many people report. I like wearing it during the day when I'm dressed well, but a few dabs around the neck and behind the ear almost demand that you seek out the nearest cocktail party. I probably wear Eucris the most, and I've actually worn it to the office before...just not on days where I have meetings.

Some people have an interest, a passion, whatever you may call it.
    This passion does not see logic at times, and justifies a purchase
    even when it wont be used as often.

All of those things sounds lovely to me! Different strokes?

Bois d'Ascese is quite a delicate scent, considering that it's essentially a campfire. I must say though, my first real introduction to niche, CdG's Avignon (I know, I know; it's actually a designer house), gave me a similar impression: "Who on earth would wear something like this?" Well, apparently I would as I now own several from that line. But what I'm getting at is that initially I was more shocked that a fragrance could even do such a thing as all I'd smelled up to that point were designer / mainstream.

So, try some of the others. You're not going to like everything, but that's how we figure this stuff out -- and you're doing it the right way with samples. But don't disregard the Goodsir -- it's a great scent. Maybe try wearing it at a different time, ignoring whether or not you "like" it, and just see how it affects your time with it on. (Slap it on before going grocery shopping or something and see what happens.) Many of these scents are designed to be aesthetic experiences and should be worn as such; they're less about "smelling pretty" or "crowd pleasing" per se. Have fun with your samples!

Everyone's tastes are different and all valid IMO.

Banned

Cuir d Arabie, is no masculine at all, i have seen men and women equaly not liking it

i wore it this winter from the sample i got, on my wool coat...and its perfect for that usage every day! and has no gender to me, it can be worn to the office as well...its pure leather oud combo and is much less strong then Slumberhouse, which are 100% masculines... strong and not polished .

those things i can not wear every day .....or lets say for a month consecutively are probably not something i genuinely enjoy...because whenever i like something i need to wear it day in day out cant be special occasion scent

my special occasions scents are the one that i like but not LOVE

my question would be....to those who have their LOVE scent as a special occasion one....how can they be so disciplined not to wear it ...if they like it so much?
    Last edited by iivanita; 26th April 2013 at 07:47 AM.

Well firstly, the majority of us wear or at least consider those two to be daily scents.
    Coincidentally Bd'A smells exactly like a type of incense that Somalis and East Africans use on a daily basis (boswellia accraa). So to those people and people associated with them, it's no different than wearing Aqua di Gio.

Secondly, for those who do not consider certain perfumes to be daily wear, they buy them to wear on occasion or when they feel like it.

for swap/sale:

You wouldn't wear khakis and a collared dress shirt on a date, or cargo pants and a v-neck tee to a job interview... Doesn't you shouldn't own them period.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fan.of.devin View Post
    You wouldn't wear khakis and a collared dress shirt on a date, or cargo pants and a v-neck tee to a job interview... Doesn't you shouldn't own them period.
    .......what you LOVE to wear the most you will own and wear day in day out for some period of time or you wont do it?......so the question is when you LOVE certain frag that much that you put it as your special occasion scent how do you discipline yourself not to wear it more often then 3-4 times a year

just wondering how someone who can not controll some passion suddenly is not so passionate and able to control over special scents?

i think special occasion scents are not the favourite, special scents .....at least not for me...it is hard for me to wear something i like so little.....somehow feels like too much calculations

i think i am missing the point and making my own thread under someone elses...lol sorry

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    Some people have an interest, a passion, whatever you may call it.
    This passion does not see logic at times, and justifies a purchase
    even when it wont be used as often.
    i was refering more to this
    Last edited by iivanita; 26th April 2013 at 09:22 AM.

I really like Bois d"Ascese and visited the only shop I know that stocks it. I had the opportunity to buy it but couldn't bring myself to do so, simply because I can't think of an occasion when I'd want to smell like a camp fire. Not even when on my own. It's a great smell but not one I can imagine wearing anywhere.

It depends on your like / dislikes - why buy something you don't like?

Leather / heavier smoky type frags are not for everyone, its more of an acquired taste and can still be difficult at times...

I own & love Mona di Orio's Cuir; also own other grt leathers - Knize 10, Or Black, Cuir de Russie, Aoud Leather - in spite of all this Cuir de Arabie from Montale was / is a challenge for me, yet to get into a comfort zone feeling with it...

Its all about personal preference.

I don't think anyone would want to smell like an ashtray or plain smoke but I take your word on what thay smelt like to you.

Try Sycomore for a superior 'smoky' type fragrance.

Les Nombres d'Or Cuir and Bois d'Ascese. ... Holy HELL - basically smoke or ashtray smells.

Agree. When Bois d'Ascese came out everyone was jumping up and down like it was the greatest thing ever. Smells like a 2:AM ashtray in a dive bar to me. I get the ashtray vibe from many "incense" fragrances. Durbano fragrances come off that way to me, Annick Goutal's incense smells like that too. I guess some people get the cigarette ash in those, others do not. Maybe some do not because they were never smokers or maybe they just don't perceive it the same way.

And for Les Nombres d'Or Cuir - I like a nice leather, but this is not one of them. This is way to skanky for me.

Have you tried Tuscan Leather, noideawhatimsaying? I would be interested to see how you find that.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark but could it be that some people enjoy them?

A wild theory, I know.

Welp, I guess I shouldn't own a suit then, either, since I only wear it on occasion...

I don't understand what you're getting at.

why buy something not wearable day to day?
    I like having a few scents for special occasions. But that doesn't seem to be what you really mean. It sounds like you're really asking why people like a few scents that you don't.

Today I sampled Les Nombres d'Or Cuir and Bois d'Ascese. Hoping they were going to be good based off of favorable reviews. Holy HELL - basically smoke or ashtray smells.

Seriously, why would you own this?
    People who interpret the scents differently than you do and enjoy them. It's as simple as that.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

CologneFan85

Most here seems to like "strong mature stinkers" and will bash you if you have a positive opinion on a safer mainstream scent. TRUTH BE TOLD

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have a sample of mona di orio's cuir and i agree that is unwearble and untolerable to me. Some do and some don't. I'm not big on leather's anyway unless they have some kind of oriental/sweet accord.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post

Damn, that makes me laugh!

why buy something not wearable day to day
    While I happen to agree with you personally about the 2 fragrances you mention, your thread title makes no sense for anyone who has more than 1 fragrance.

If you are going to buy a single fragrance, you would certainly want a versatile all-purpose one. However, here on Basenotes, people have collections. That way, we can have something for any occasion or mood. I don't think any Basenotes member has only fragrances that they would be happy to wear day to day.

My own personal experience with D'Orios Cuir, was not good. I posted this elsewhere, but I never scrubbed a fragrance no matter what. But I just didn't get Cuir, I tried, I gave it another chance and waited for it to change or evolve or..but it stayed like that..mm..no no (and I love strong, leather, smokey, etc).
    But I was wondering if the late Mona would hold up the blotter to her nose and thought "mmm...good! this is exactly what I had in mind".
    It's not just smoke but resinous as hell, like paint thinner or something, sharp, I don't know I just don't get it.
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

Hrmm yeah not sure what the OP is on about, plenty of people like smokey scents, BdA in particular is perfect for cool autumn and winter nights. Look at how many leather fragrances there are that are popular so clearly people enjoy smelling like high quality furniture and clothing jokes aside though theres more to them than that one raw note.

At the end of the day OP I in part agree that BdA and the others mentioned are not juices you could wear daily nor would want to, they imo are for occasions..eg BdA on those autumn and winter nights and they are ideal for that.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Just look at the diversity found in sexual preferences. Some people like to be dominated, some like to dominate, most like "vanilla", some like to feel pain and more extreme sensations. SOme people like boys, some like girls, some like both. Even at the same time.

The same thing happens with preferences for perfumes. Some people want to smell like an ashtray. It is an eccentric wish, but who are we to condemn? They have the right to buy the perfume they like.