Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ordered 5 colognes, dislike all of them, need advice please!

Just got really into the fragrance world and blind bought a bunch of fragrances and 5 came in the mail today. I dislike all of them very much. Here are my thoughts
    Versace dreamer- honestly smells like something my grandma used to wear, so synthetic, no powder or vanailla like people described.3/10
    Midnight in Paris edt- putred,if I smell this for more than 5 seconds I will gag. The leather note is so synthetic and horrible, it's repulsive.2/10
    Givenchi PI- nothing special, smells like the vanilla lipgloss girls used to wear in middle school, but not as good,4/10.
    Cool water- wow, smells like a 10 dollar bottle of cologne from cvs or Walmart.smells like Brut after shave too me.2/10
    MJ legend -the best(and cheapest) of the 5.and that's not saying much.still smells very synthetic.i picture a fat old man wearing this.not memorable at all. 4/10

Why do people give these such good reviews? Is my nose just off? I would NEVER wear any of these. Returning all of them but the PI becuse the bottle is unique. I have dior homme and a sample of creed aventus coming. Hopefully I get one I like. For now le male and Touch will be my scents. Man what a let down.

Default Re: Ordered 5 colognes, dislike all of them, need advice please!

Sorry you had unpleasant experiences. People just react differently to different fragrances. I personally am fine with MIP, Pi, and Cool Water and own all three, but can understand and respect those who don't like them.

Advice: Don't blind buy bottles.

Midnight in Paris is one of my favourites. When I first smelled it, I didn't like it; A few months later I tried it again and liked it a lot.

Basenotes Plus

The only (and best) advice is not to buy blind.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

your nose is destined for niches, not designers
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

I'm thinking so, always have had expensive taste, I guarentee I will LOVE creed, but 200 for a signature spring/ summer scent is not bad at all.its something ill wear daily so don't find a problem in spending the money on high quality.

...sample first...!

Try giving them more time, you will learn to appreciate it for what it is,
    and not what you want them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    I don't want them to be anything just a scent I love. Don't know enough about fragrances to want them to be anything but a enjoyable and pleasant smell to my senses.well ill keep trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Falco4758 View Post
    I'm thinking so, always have had expensive taste, I guarentee I will LOVE creed, but 200 for a signature spring/ summer scent is not bad at all.its something ill wear daily so don't find a problem in spending the money on high quality.
    The comment in bold up above had me laughing pretty good. Just because something cost 200$ does not mean it is going to be good. You may end up hating some of those as well or you may end up saying you like it because you know.... it cost 200$!
    Living each day one spray at a time

Banned
    Blog Entries

Versace dreamer- a great fragrance but the performance and note organization are both poor

Midnight in Paris edt- i like this one, but i have to be in the mood for it

Givenchi PI- it's good, i like it. i dont think i would buy it though.

Cool water - i really like it, i get a lot of compliments from it

MJ legend - never tried it

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post
    The comment in bold up above had me laughing pretty good. Just because something cost 200$ does not mean it is going to be good. You may end up hating some of those as well or you may end up saying you like it because you know.... it cost 200$!
    I Stated I like MJ legend the best out of the 5 and it was the 1/6 of the price of them so no, I wouldn't say I like something I didn't becuse of the price, that's just silly, people do that? Just need pleasant scents ,price is irrelevant! Ck be is one of my fav scents, 25 bucks for 4oz

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Versace dreamer- a great fragrance but the performance and note organization are both poor
    Haha, wtf does that mean? Longevity is stellar and it's a pretty seamless composition. Some people seem to have a problem with the juniper in the opening (I'll never understand why), but after that it's smooth sailing.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Shame, bad luck. But as others have said, you're better to sample until you're sure about getting a full bottle of anything.

Sample what you can in your local stores for free and order samples of niche hard to find stuff from somewhere like Luckyscent or the Perfumed court. Spend your time to find what you enjoy.

Then you'll be objectively able to spend your hard earned cash on full bottles of frags that you know you love.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Overcome By Fumes

And your fall-back, Le Male, to me, smells like the cheapest crap fake vanilla to the point of literally nauseating me. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

On me none of these five are good. I sampled but did not buy blind. Long live decants.

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post
    I was thinking the same until he mentioned he was sticking with Le Male.

Either way, that's a bummer OP. Plenty of good info to be had around these parts, but don't take it at face value. The good news is, you should be able to unload all of those.

Blog Entries

yes....................
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Sound Scents

Just got really into the fragrance world and blind bought a bunch of fragrances and 5 came in the mail today. I dislike all of them very much. Here are my thoughts
    Versace dreamer- honestly smells like something my grandma used to wear, so synthetic, no powder or vanailla like people described.3/10
    Midnight in Paris edt- putred,if I smell this for more than 5 seconds I will gag. The leather note is so synthetic and horrible, it's repulsive.2/10
    Givenchi PI- nothing special, smells like the vanilla lipgloss girls used to wear in middle school, but not as good,4/10.
    Cool water- wow, smells like a 10 dollar bottle of cologne from cvs or Walmart.smells like Brut after shave too me.2/10
    MJ legend -the best(and cheapest) of the 5.and that's not saying much.still smells very synthetic.i picture a fat old man wearing this.not memorable at all. 4/10

Why do people give these such good reviews? Is my nose just off? I would NEVER wear any of these. Returning all of them but the PI becuse the bottle is unique. I have dior homme and a sample of creed aventus coming. Hopefully I get one I like. For now le male and Touch will be my scents. Man what a let down.
    Everyone has different tastes, no harm in that...

I personally like Cool Water, even love it in its vintage form, and I don't mind PI (while disliking the others on your list including the ones you have incoming samples of) but ask someone else and they may love or dislike all of them, or any combination between. The key is to not just read some reviews and make blind purchase decisions accordingly (or at least not until you know your tastes and the reviewer's preferences *very* well). I made most of my worst blind buy decisions early-on when I joined the site years ago based on hype and consensus reviews, and now have almost none of those early mistakes in my collection... Years later it is rare even with a blind buy that I am disappointed because I know my preferences much better.

All this said, you mentioned in a later post that you can guarantee you will love Creed... May I ask why you are so certain? The house gets a lot of hype, but you should know from your early experience with the fragrances you dislike that what others like may or may not mesh with what you like...

Good luck with the journey...
    Last edited by drseid; 23rd April 2013 at 09:54 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

You should check out the notes of VIW and perhaps buy a SAMPLE of Creed Virgin island Water on FragranceNet if you're interested. They're like $4.99

It's high quality Creed and fairly neutral.

Default Advice

Please, never buy blind. Those frags are all available in the high street and easy to sample. Otherwise, use an online sample shop.

Just keep sampling until you find something you like.

I have done that before and learned from mistakes . Try to sample always. Use reviews as a guide , but don't purchase depending on reviews. I would say sample depending on reviews and purchase out of your own experience .

Just go with your nose. Two things though: 1) many scents out there have changed over time and have been reformulated. Cool Water is one. I wore this as a signature scent in the early and mid 90s. I've never had more compliments in my life. The new version isn't bad but I don't get the green or smooth grapish feel I had before. 2) don't take reviews too seriously where you doubt your nose. I basically dont get or lime a high percentage of loved scents on here but really enjoy some panned ones. It's just my nose and skin. You have to realize that everyone here really enjoys this hobby so there may be a more intense view on things vs just someone sniffing around. You also might catch some notes or things discussed in reviews that make you go back a second time and enjoy them more.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    And your fall-back, Le Male, to me, smells like the cheapest crap fake vanilla to the point of literally nauseating me. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I agree with what you said about Le Male. I *adore* the ad campaign, the videos, the bottle. But the juice is simply disgusting.

Good luck returning fragrances that you've opened and sprayed.

You learn't from your mistake though, don't blind buy!

People keep giving the three of those scents that I own good reviews because, to most people they are good.

Same thing happens with clothes.

You don't agree with the significant number of positive views, and that's fine.
    However, scents are just tools. It's your choice - be unique and satisfied, or wear something that may engage persons you are interested in.
    Regards,
    Renato

Have you tried any green/aromatic ones with good-quality ingredients? Seems like you only try the sweeter ones, and how you can enjoy Le Male while hating some of those others makes no sense to me.

I dont care for any of those 5 either. my advice for next time would be to hit the Crystal Flacon boards and invest in a nice range of decants so you can get a feel of what you like, and not have to burn so much cash on a full bottle that you MAY or may not like.

Patience. Most fragrances takes some time to appreciate, more like acquired taste.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Thinking that something will smell good I'd it's expensive is called setting up fake standards, I have tried Aventus and I have tried GIT, I own Dior Homme Intense vintage and M7 but the ones I currently like are a mere 17$ ajmal silver shade and 30$ caron pour un homme, which are like the quarter of their price. So thinking that if you buy expensive shit blindly is gonna help, then you're wrong. Like so many experienced users above me have commented, DO NOT blind buy and more price doesn't gurantee that the scent will be any good, the ingredients may be good though.
    Last edited by craniumbash; 23rd April 2013 at 01:41 PM.

A tip: test before you buy. Even when testing once you will not always get what a fragrances really smells like.

Your response to these only show that you have a discriminating nose! You have an opinion, and that is a good thing. Appreciate your ability to discriminate. Far too many people adjust what they like to fit someone else's idea of what is good. Think for yourself and don't give up your own opinions. I would trust your own reactions to them, because when you smell for the first time you are experiencing how someone else will smell these on you too. In time your sensibilities might adapt to appreciate these particular fragrances, but but I discourage that. First impressions are important. Far too many people really don't know what they like and are led around by the opinion of others. You ordered fragrances that I don't like either, by the way. I don't like the smell of synthetically sweet fragrances and synthetic citrus either. Some on this forum love those scents, so it is all a matter of personal preference. Guard your own preferences closely. There is plenty of variety out there whether designer or niche.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Haha, wtf does that mean? Longevity is stellar and it's a pretty seamless composition. Some people seem to have a problem with the juniper in the opening (I'll never understand why), but after that it's smooth sailing.
    Lol! Really tho...
    Current Favorites

1. Amouage Reflection Man
    2. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Divine L'Homme Sage
    4. By Killian Back to Black
    5. Amouage Interlude
    6. Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé (2004)
    7. By Killian Rose Oud
    8. Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
    9. Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme
    10.Creed Royal Water

The boy's got potential. Go to niche quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post
    I agree! It's not that designers are bad but I believe most niche fragrances are more refined.(i.e creed Millesime imperial, Tom ford tobacco Vanille, xerjoff richwood and Guerlain SDV)

MiP, MJ Legend, Pi, Cool Water are all good fragrances I only on MiP and Legend and I thoroughly enjoy both.

Also don't think just because Creed is 200 dollars you'll like it.....most people would not be able to tell the difference between a $200 bottle of GIT from a $10 bottle of Cool Water.

I suggest you sample until you turn blue in the face because you will find yourself in the hole with blind buying.

I Stated I like MJ legend the best out of the 5 and it was the 1/6 of the price of them so no, I wouldn't say I like something I didn't becuse of the price, that's just silly, people do that? Just need pleasant scents ,price is irrelevant! Ck be is one of my fav scents, 25 bucks for 4oz
    No harm meant by my comment . I really did laugh at your comment of "I guarentee I will LOVE creed" though. Even if you found the perfect fragrance with every note you love (regardless of price) there is a chance you may not LOVE it. It is also ok if you do not like 4.5 of the 5 fragrances you bought, some people have a refined taste and are very specific as to what pleases them. I am probably the opposite of you as I pretty much enjoy every fragrance I put my nose to. I actually enjoy all the fragrances you listed with versace the dreamer being my favorite of the bunch but even I have to hold my breath for the first minute or so of versace the dreamer because the opening is soooo harsh.
    Anyways I was not trying to pick on you, I just thought your comment was funny!
    Living each day one spray at a time

So nothing good in life comes easy, I guess smelling good is another. example haha. Ordered some samples.will keep doing that until I get something I like ,thanks everyone for your input.

Not sure how different the EDT is from the EDP of Midnight In Paris, I have the EDP, I love it, plan on getting 2 or 3 more bottles just as a keep sake.

Maybe you need to figure out the notes you like and get fragrances that cater to those notes.

I couldn't handle MIP (only tried EDP version), either - the leather/rubber smell was so strong it made me queasy. Dior Homme is a beautiful fragrance and Aventus, while it doesn't blow everyone away, is at least easier to "get along with" for most people than the 5 you mentioned. Best of luck!

I would advice to go www.surrendetochance.com and/or www.theperfumedcourt.com

Get sampler packs. Best fragrances of all time etc. Beste fragrences basenotes awards.

1ml is more than enough to test before you buy bottles.

CologneFan85

Safest thing you can do it buy mainstream designers. As in Gucci Guilty, YSL Homme etc don't get into the "classic" and Niche stuff right away.

Three of the scents you picked are really powdery. If you don't like powder, that's three you wouldn't like.

The thing you need to do is figure out what kinds of smells you DO like. I'm not talking about which perfumes. I mean which notes. Do you like violet leaf? How about tobacco? Leather? Do you like flowery scents? Powdery? Sweet? How sweet?

Until you figure that stuff out, you're just talking wild guesses. It gets much easier once you start noticing patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    Safest thing you can do it buy mainstream designers. As in Gucci Guilty, YSL Homme etc don't get into the "classic" and Niche stuff right away.
    Yup. And even more than buying mainstream designers, you should make an effort to smell LOTS of them. And write down your thoughts as you do, keeping track of why you like or dislike them. Then, look up the scents on basenotes and fragrantica. You'll start seeing patterns among the notes listed.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Brilliant Post. I've had the same experiences several times over....lots of money flushed down the toilet.

Since you purchased cheapies I would consider yourself lucky. Eventually you won't pay attention to what everyone says and you will find maybe a handful of people that will lead you in the right direction.

" Cheap Drugstore CVS " refers to most designer/discount frags available today. You sir should purchase a few niche samples or stick to high end Dept stores like SAKS and Nieman Marcus. I can tell you have a good nose. No need to waste it on junk.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    I actually sway more toward the other direction, mainly because designer fragrances such as these were what kept me from being interested in perfumery for years -- I literally thought that the kind of stuff Macy's and Sephora sold was all that was available and so I turned to other options for scents. Niche opened up a whole other world and actually allowed me to become interested in perfume and fragrance in a way that designer didn't (and still doesn't). But with that said, you might find what you're looking for among designer fragrances much faster than scouring through the world of niche (which is like a treasure hunt in that you have to read / research / read more / research / sample / evaluate). To me, that method is so much more rewarding than simply buying flanker-of-the-month or whatnot. Explore the designers for sure (just keep in mind that designer scents are first and foremost commercial ventures in marketing -- what you'll find is sellable/likable/popular over actual artistry), but also look into perfumery's underworld -- the subcultural equivalent of mass-produced -- and you'll find true artistry, originality, and experimentation that simply isn't marketable for mass-consumption.

In other words, there's a much bigger world of fragrance out there than what it seems, and the best way to tap into it is to studiously explore. You'll make mistakes along the way (as you're already learning), but that's part of the process!

The only mistake was buying blind.

I don't much like any of the five you mentioned, either (okay, four of the five -- never tried MJ legend). Wouldn't buy a bottle of any of them.

Keep sampling. There's only, what, 1,000 or more men's colognes on the market at any given time?
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I agree. Especially 5 bottles.
    Quote Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
    The only (and best) advice is not to buy blind.

Banned
    Blog Entries

those are some pretty good under 50 dollar scents. i have the all and enjoy them all but to each'sown

MIP and Pi I like (MIP after wearing it a few times, at first it seemed a bit boring. Pi, whilst perhaps not great, was one of my first vanilla scents and helped to convert me to the sweet stuff. I like it in winter sometimes), The Dreamer I don't, CW I used to but don't anymore. Don't know the last one.

They're all on the cheaper side, perhaps you were expecting too much.

Sample.

And when you've already sampled something, sample it again at a later date. You may be surprised. I know I have been surprised by something I disliked earlier.

Exactly.

Considering the ones that you like, I'll bet that you can abide with 1 million or Armani Code. Good luck.

Dependent

I dislike almost everything I try. Unless I'm in research mode, I only buy after I've given a sample at least one full wearing.

Basenotes Member

Cool Water is amazing for the price, especially now the weather's warming up.

Ignore everyone telling you not to buy blind. That's terrible advice.

You don't like Midnight in Paris because it stinks--I could have told you that. (But the bottle sure is pretty!)

You don't like Dreamer because you're spraying too much of it. One or two should do and then I think you'll enjoy it.

The new iteration of Cool Water has a horrible synthetic note that I don't remember in the old one. I would understand why you don't like it, though I still kinda do.

Pi should smell good. You're either averse to vanilla or your skin is a toxic, acidic dumping ground that destroys good fragrances. I'm just kidding. I like Pi, I don't know why you don't, but try Eau Duelle instead--it's great and doesn't smell like lip gloss at all (a mature, classy vanilla).

I've never smelled MJ Legend--but why would you even go there?

Do more research, blindly buy something more expensive and well-received, and report back when you do.

Good luck!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Midnight in Paris is a wonderful fragrance.

You'll probably like AdG
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Try essential oils and pure oud oil if you like something that is not synthetic
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Honestly, I don't think blind buying is necessarily always bad. Sometimes I like to really plan a fragrance purchase very carefully. I order sample after sample and try them several times at different times, on different days and in different moods. Other times, I simply decide to wing it with a blind buy, either by looking at reviews that I think I can trust or by looking at the ingredients themselves. On those occasions, I think of it as an adventure and I'm truly interested to find out how successful I have been. Sometimes the choice is absolutely perfect; other times it is so disastrously wrong I have to laugh out loud. I think if you are the type that truly will be disappointed by making the wrong purchase, and sampling is the way to go. If you're the type that wants to be spontaneous and have a little fun with it, the occasional blind buy can elevate fragrance appreciation from being merely a "shopping errand” to an intriguing adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post
    The comment in bold up above had me laughing pretty good.!
    <<<---I'm still laughing

So the smell I think I like is "oriental" fragrances. Please some suggestion!

- - - Updated - - -

Tonka bean is probably what I see in all the ones I enjoy, violet leaf,and pepper.burberry touch is my favorite fragrance as of now. Also armani code i used to enjoy very much.thanks for the help!