Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Just sampled: "Bentley for Men"

year 2013.
    A dry floral for men, with a great "sweet-smoke" drydown: it seems a contradiction, but it's very good.
    Thumbs up!
    Told from a vintage lover....you can trust me

by the way, it's from the same creator of Encre Noir.

Default Re: Just sampled: "Bentley for Men"

Just looked it up, sounds great, thanks for the heads up!
    By the way, did you try the intense version as well?
    And if I might ask, where did you try this and how can one get it?!

not the intense, only the "light" one
    ...and it's almost an Eau de Parfum , 5 hours minimum (longevity)

Curious. Who makes this fragrance?

Nathalie Lorson

treeman5823

Car included with purchase?

no but honestly I'm feeling these releases (bentley and the intense)--i bet this will become big on basenotes. can't wait to sample them. thank you andr moreau!

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'd like to hear more feedback about my new favorite winter scent: Bentley Intense.

Hope you don't mind!
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 30th October 2013 at 01:10 PM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

It's a very nice fall/winter scent. Similar to Idole de Lubin.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 4th November 2013 at 09:42 AM.

Delicious stuff and as mentioned similar to Idole EdT, but with a richer and more creamy and powdery incense and leather. If you like Idole you'll like Bentley INtense and vica versa.

If Idole is for spring/summer, Bentley Insense would be for Autumn/Winter.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Until it's easier to acquire, there won't be much info besides the sample small group of guys. You can't even sample it. Very annoying.
    Then there was the "smells like Jubilation xxv" squad that spreads it around just like they did for Costume National.

I'll get my Intense tomorrow...I'll be brutally honest either way. I'll try to compare it to common scents we all know.

This along with the intense have to be two of my best purchases this year.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This along with the intense have to be two of my best purchases this year.
    Coming from you, that gets my attention! That probably sealed the deal on me ordering the EDT, too.

Differences, preferences between EdT vs. EdP...Anyone ?

Thanks !

Bumping this.

What are the differences and are they much to notice in the Intense, which is said to have incense and geramium.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blind purchased the intense version, based on BN raves. Can't wait for its arrival. Thank you, BNers. That's why I spend time on this site. I'd never find stuff like this without your expert commentary and guideance, and for that I am most appreciative.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Blind purchased the intense version, based on BN raves. Can't wait for its arrival. Thank you, BNers. That's why I spend time on this site. I'd never find stuff like this without your expert commentary and guideance, and for that I am most appreciative.
    I hear this is similar to Lubin Idole. If so, it must be a nice scent.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Bumping this.

What are the differences and are they much to notice in the Intense, which is said to have incense and geramium.

I have both on the way. I'll give the best comparison I can when they arrive. Won't be fancy, but I'll do my best.

Apart from the dynamic differences, Idole is spicier and has a distinctive cola note absent in Bentley Intense. I think BI is closer to Couvoisier L'Edition Imperiale EdP, although BI is a bit sweeter and the Courvoisier, woodier. They behave similarly on my skin - low projection but good longevity. Love both anyway.

It is very similar to Idole de Lubin but with better longevity than the edt? I still haven't tried the edp of Idole yet.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    no but honestly I'm feeling these releases (bentley and the intense)--i bet this will become big on basenotes. can't wait to sample them. thank you andr moreau!
    This man knew what he was talking about!

Basenotes Plus

OK, I'm back in town (early) and was able to get my paws on my newly shipped Bentley Intense today.

There have been reviews comparing it to Jubilation XXV, but to my nose it's not quite like that. Jubilation is more "green" in color, while Bentley Intense is more "golden amber". When I sprayed it I was like "wow, I know this from somewhere else...!!" but couldn't put my finger on it. After a bit of thinking and sniffing and thinking some more, I think I got it. Bentley Intense has a bit of rum booziness, mixed in with smoky incense, and what smells like amber/benzoin/cinnamon/leather/pepper mix. It's not Jubilation XXV that I find similarities to, but more Opus VI when you just sniff the bottle sprayer, without actually spraying it. When you spray Opus VI it's vibrant and almost "wet" feeling smokey amber, while Bentley Intense is a dry, softer version of that - just like sniffing the Opus VI sprayer (but admittedly softer on the amber). The booziness is somewhat similar to A*Men flankers like Pure Havene, more so than Pure Malt. These two seem to share a similar boozy note, but the one in Pure Malt actually feels like a boozy headache, while Pure Havane is lighter and more aromatic than boozy. So I guess if you sort of combined Opus VI, removed some of the sweetness and wetness from it, turned it down half-a-notch, and added a sprinkle of Pure Havane booziness on top - I think that would be a good approximation of what Bentley Intense smells like.

(Sorry, never had a chance to sniff Lubin Idole so I can't compare it to that, but if somehow a sample were to come across my desk, I can certainly update my notes with a more in depth comparison of these two.)

First wearing only, but longevity seems to be great (almost 8 hours now, still going strong). Projection very nice, at least an arm's length. It's strong and confident, but not overpowering. The bottle is awesome, better in person than in photos. At first I thought I'd love if the cap was magnetic, but... there's something to be said about old fashioned manual cap that fits snugly inside the top metal part of the bottle - it's a nod to tradition and good old world craftsmanship, vs "automating everything"... (hence why I love and collect mechanical watches and will never own a battery operated one, too). This is so Bentley...

Very well done, Miss Nathalie Lorson, and bravo to Lalique for overseeing this release and for the very appropriate bottle and packaging designs! This could indeed be easily marketed as a much more expensive niche perfume, and in fact, is higher quality than many niche fragrances out there - while remaining totally wearable and not overly abstract that only few BNers would appreciate. I'll give it a very solid 9/10.

Just from the bottle I just got, it reminds me more of Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond than anything else I've tried. And yes, Intense smells awesome. Better than I expected, and not really gourmand to me.

Basenotes Plus

I have Silver Factory and that one to me is much more heavy on the resins and ambers. More aromatic, more unisex. Bentley Intense is more masculine to me. The rum/boozy note is completely non-existent in Silver Factory, and it's definitely prominent in Bentley Intense.

Hmm... Which one would be better, EDT or EDP ? I don't like gourmands but this is not a real gourmand? How sweet this is, actually? For example compared to DHI? Any other similar scents to this than Idole by Lubin and Silver Factory? thanks
    For sale (Worldwide): Dark Aoud, Jazz Prestige, Ungaro I Edt + Aftershave, Versace L'Homme Vintage etc.

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I have Silver Factory and that one to me is much more heavy on the resins and ambers. More aromatic, more unisex. Bentley Intense is more masculine to me. The rum/boozy note is completely non-existent in Silver Factory, and it's definitely prominent in Bentley Intense.
    I haven't worn it on my skin yet, so those aspects may come out then. I've only smelled the air after I sprayed it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    I don't like gourmands but this is not a real gourmand? How sweet this is, actually? For example compared to DHI? Any other similar scents to this than Idole by Lubin and Silver Factory? thanks
    I'm not big on gourmands either, and this one is not a gourmand at all. More in the amber/smokey/boozy category. DHI is lipstick-in-a-bag fragrance to me, not overly sweet, but just crazy heavy on aromatics. Way different. Other than the Idole or Silver Factory references, check out my review above - to me it's more Opus VI with a hint of Pure Havane, if that helps.

thanks remik!
    For sale (Worldwide): Dark Aoud, Jazz Prestige, Ungaro I Edt + Aftershave, Versace L'Homme Vintage etc.

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    it reminds me more of Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    ChuckW - I just pulled out my bottle of Silver Factory and took a good sniff (it's been a while since I last wore it). I can see where you get the similarity - there is indeed a slight resemblance in it to Bentley Intense, after all. Good observation! So I guess I'll revise my review by saying Bentley reminds me of (toned down, drier) Opus VI, with a hint of Silver Factory, and a sprinkle of Pure Havane booziness on top.

Happy Halloween! (and yes, Bentley Intense should work out nicely with tonight's activities!)

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    ChuckW - I just pulled out my bottle of Silver Factory and took a good sniff (it's been a while since I last wore it). I can see where you get the similarity - there is indeed a slight resemblance in it to Bentley Intense, after all. Good observation! So I guess I'll revise my review by saying Bentley reminds me of (toned down, drier) Opus VI, with a hint of Silver Factory, and a sprinkle of Pure Havane booziness on top.

Happy Halloween! (and yes, Bentley Intense should work out nicely with tonight's activities!)
    Happy Halloween to you too, Bro!

Thanks Remik. Looks like I'm going to have to get a bottle of this.

Upon wearing Intense this morning, I also see where people get the similarity to LDDM upon initial application, and somewhat through the dry-down. So for me, it's a nifty blend of Silver Factory and LDDM. Which is nice, because while I liked LDDM, it could really be too much for me, and this is a more subtle blend. This absolutely is a niche level scent. I wore two sprays...I maybe needed three.

I will report on the regular Bentley EDT when I get it early next week.

This absolutely is a niche level scent. I wore two sprays...I maybe needed three.
    It definitely has that feel at least for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

As an aquatic fan I can't wait to try Bentley's 2014 release called Bentley for men "Azure"

I just purchased the Intense version this past week. These glowing reviews have me in stitches until the mail man delivers this beast. Unfortunately,
    the shipping will take some time from a EBAY vendor from Poland. The price point was awesome for the bigger size I just couldn't pass it up.

[COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated - - -

I got DHI - the Pepsi sweetness + lots of incense + light sweet tea smell. Longevity is nice 10hrs, projection is average.

My only issue with the Intense is that on my second wearing, it seemed to fizz out a little. Lacked a little in longevity and projection in comparison to the day before. I'll try out the regular tonight which I should get in the mail today.

My wife really digs it on me (the Intense).

On a totally unrelated note, English Laundry Arrogant was a surprise for me yesterday. Outstanding longevity and projection with just two sprays at 7:30 AM yesterday. It's like a blend of Le Male and Burberry Touch. Very nice.

My only issue with the Intense is that on my second wearing, it seemed to fizz out a little. Lacked a little in longevity and projection in comparison to the day before. I'll try out the regular tonight which I should get in the mail today.

My wife really digs it on me (the Intense).

On a totally unrelated note, English Laundry Arrogant was a surprise for me yesterday. Outstanding longevity and projection with just two sprays at 7:30 AM yesterday. It's like a blend of Le Male and Burberry Touch. Very nice.
    Keep us posted on the other ones in the set(English Laundry) as well as the EDT on the Bentley. Although not a lot of love for Burberry Touch on here I really love it.

Can any of you go into more detail about how the original Bentley for men smells? I have a sample of Bentley Intense, which I love, but I'm very curious about the original. How does the original smell? Does it resemble the Intense?
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Regarding projection and longevity, I get very strong projection for about the first two or three hours. Then it becomes close to the skin, but it hangs around for a while. I put this on yesterday around 4 p.m., showered this morning. and can actually smell it on my wrist right now. But it only really projects for a few hours, which is fine by me. And when it does project, it does so very strongly.

Tried the EDT today at the store, but only briefly because my nose was too damn busy abusing the Serge Lutens counter ....

Unfortunately, i only tried it on paper and from my initial impressions i noticed that the rum in it is bright and dominant, and the scent overall feels "lighter and brighter" than the intense. It's very very similar to the intense overall. I wished i sprayed it on my skin but i had like 6 other scents on my skin by the time i got to it.

I think the comparison between Bentley EDT and Bentley Intense would be similar to comparing Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense (the 2007 old formulation),where the iris in the Dior line would be the rum note in the Bentley line.

Just throwing guesses here. Wish i had tested the EDT properly today !
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Can any of you go into more detail about how the original Bentley for men smells? I have a sample of Bentley Intense, which I love, but I'm very curious about the original. How does the original smell? Does it resemble the Intense?
    I'll give you my opinion on Bentley EDT tomorrow after I've had it on for a few hours, hopefully.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Regarding projection and longevity, I get very strong projection for about the first two or three hours. Then it becomes close to the skin, but it hangs around for a while. I put this on yesterday around 4 p.m., showered this morning. and can actually smell it on my wrist right now. But it only really projects for a few hours, which is fine by me. And when it does project, it does so very strongly.
    It is a very pleasant scent to be sure. And the top notes are WOW.

My only issue with the Intense is that on my second wearing, it seemed to fizz out a little. Lacked a little in longevity and projection in comparison to the day before.
    I share these (minor) reservations. BI needs a good 5 or 6 sprays to get it to perform. Longevity is good but projection is poor after a few hours. It doesn't matter that much to me, I love it anyway, but those expecting a powerhouse may be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I share these (minor) reservations. BI needs a good 5 or 6 sprays to get it to perform. Longevity is good but projection is poor after a few hours. It doesn't matter that much to me, I love it anyway, but those expecting a powerhouse may be disappointed.
    I think you may be right. That flies in the face of what I believed when I first sprayed it into the air. I'm not giving up on it, though! I waited too long for this sucker.

What's tricky about a frag like this is that when you go 2 or 3 sprays you don't get much projection after a few hours, but when you go 5 or 6 you have insane projection for the first few hours, maybe even too much. I err on the side of caution and take a few solid hours followed by a skin scent over a couple monster hours followed by several more of good projection. Still, I've only worn this twice, so I can't say I exactly have it figured out.

I think you may be right. That flies in the face of what I believed when I first sprayed it into the air. I'm not giving up on it, though! I waited too long for this sucker.

This is not at all what I experience and either there are dramatically different skin types or olfactory fatigue. On me I get very good projection for 8+ hours and excellent longevity, so much that I get self-conscious if I spray more than 3 sprays.

Projection and longevity with the intense are very very good for me with 3 sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    This is not at all what I experience and either there are dramatically different skin types or olfactory fatigue. On me I get very good projection for 8+ hours and excellent longevity, so much that I get self-conscious if I spray more than 3 sprays.
    Projection and longevity with the intense are very very good for me with 3 sprays.
    My experience with Bentley Intense mirrors yours, gtsb and Hednic. Three sprays last 10+ hours on my skin. I have zero issues with projection or longevity. In fact, I consider it to be a commitment to wear in the sense that, if I wear it, I'm going to be smelling it all day and into the night.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

That's been my experience also.

The first day I wore 2 sprays. The second I wore 3. So I know I did not overdo it, at least. We'll see where I settle in this.

I don't think I could wear more than 2-3 sprays of the intense, it's a monster on me. Two sprays should do the trick. I think I get monster projection for the first few hours, and then it slides into moderate projection territory after that.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

What's tricky about a frag like this is that when you go 2 or 3 sprays you don't get much projection after a few hours, but when you go 5 or 6 you have insane projection for the first few hours, maybe even too much. I err on the side of caution and take a few solid hours followed by a skin scent over a couple monster hours followed by several more of good projection. Still, I've only worn this twice, so I can't say I exactly have it figured out.
    I spray this one on the (cooler) abdomen and avoid the chest to temper the earlier potency to a degree. It doesn't work completely but I think it helps.

I'm wearing Bentley EDT today. I wore 4 sprays, one to each side of my neck and one to chest, one to stomach. I'm only about 1 1/2 hours into my day with it. It's not overpowering by any stretch. I can smell it, but it is a subtle wear for me. Might be my skin, who knows?

Still a very nice scent. I don't know that I really need both the Intense and the EDT versions, though. I sprayed this in the air in our living room and it hung around for a couple of hours yesterday evening. That was just 1 spray of the EDT.

The main diff to me is that the EDT has a little less ":edge" to it, and it's def smoother than the EDP. To my nose at least they are very close. The gap is similar to, as another poster said, the diff between Dior Homme and the Intense version. The gap is not as wide as the one between LIDG and LIDGE.

So if your budget allows, go for both. If not, I'd stick to the EDP. I have a feeling the EDT would be best for hot weather climates and hot summer weather.

They both smell fantastic, so you really can't lose. I don't regret buying them, but time will tell if I keep both.

Great I'm glad I did go with the EDP Intense per your reviews. So you believe the Intense is Office Environment safe. This is were I will be using it the most. On a side note did you ever find out the fragrance your Deacon friend at Church wore?

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Great I'm glad I did go with the EDP Intense per your reviews. So you believe the Intense is Office Environment safe. This is were I will be using it the most. On a side note did you ever find out the fragrance your Deacon friend at Church wore?
    If you keep the Intense between 2 or 3 sprays, I think it's office safe. It wears pretty close to my body.

I chickened out with the elder at church! I don't want to freak him out any further. I'll have to live in ignorance.

Three sprays is usually my norm so that will fall into my routine. So overall the wait was justified and fragrance is a winner I assume, or are you needing more time to make an ultimate decision.

Thanks for the update I followed your thread on that gentleman at Church and I feared it got lost in the void due to the changeover.

The Bentley scents are winners, but for those seeking radiating powerhouses I fear you will be disappointed, at least if your skin is like mine. They are classy, upscale scents to be sure. Both are office safe.

The Bentley scents are winners, but for those seeking radiating powerhouses I fear you will be disappointed, at least if your skin is like mine. They are classy, upscale scents to be sure. Both are office safe.
    Thanks Chuck. Slightly off topic how is your English Laundry experience going?

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Thanks Chuck. Slightly off topic how is your English Laundry experience going?
    I am going to wear another one tomorrow. The only one I have tried thus far is Arrogant.