Code of Conduct

Default Never buy oud oil from ebay...what a synthetic mess

So i purchased a 3 ml bottle of cambodian oud oil from ebay... paid $30 for it.... it was shipped out of Malaysia, so i thought it might be legit...I thought someone who lives out in the jungle of Cambodia is distilling oud oil and trying to sell it cheap to make a living... so after 4 weeks of waiting, i finally got it in the mail... i was all excited, and finally got to sniff this oil... what a dissapoinment.... what a synthetic chemical mess... what a waste of money... i'm sticking to agaraura for my oud oil now.... even if it cost $200+ for a bottle
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Never buy oud oil from ebay...what a synthetic mess

Thanks for that info.

Yeah, miracles are rare for a reason.

@Change1, I totally agree. I've bought oils from some of the big houses, from Ajmal, Abdul Samad, Arabian Oud, Swiss Arabian, you name it, several for more than 5x what you spent and they were obviously adulterated with synthetics, a bloody mess. I've bought from some of the lesser quality known good sources trying to conserve my Agaraura and Oriscent Ouds, and searching for a bargain, although pure, you could tell by the anemic scent that they were distilled from low quality, poorly resinated wood and mostly boyah. Many have gone directly in the rubbish bin, not good enough to wear or giveaway, not even to keep for educational purposes, money wasted, I've learned my lesson. If it's not from Agaraura or Oriscent, I don't want it.

This is the stuff....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cambodian-Gr...item2a2c266d3c

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    @Change1, I totally agree. I've bought oils from some of the big houses, from Ajmal, Abdul Samad, Arabian Oud, Swiss Arabian, you name it, several for more than 5x what you spent and they were obviously adulterated with synthetics, a bloody mess. I've bought from some of the lesser quality known good sources trying to conserve my Agaraura and Oriscent Ouds, and searching for a bargain, although pure, you could tell by the anemic scent that they were distilled from low quality, poorly resinated wood and mostly boyah. Many have gone directly in the rubbish bin, not good enough to wear or giveaway, not even to keep for educational purposes, money wasted, I've learned my lesson. If it's not from Agaraura or Oriscent, I don't want it.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Can't imagine buying oud oil for myself from anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    All those houses you mentioned save for Swiss Arabian actually do you use real Oud oil, ASAQ probably has the best agarwood. known to man, its an extremely well respected house when it comes to Oud in the Khaleej.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    All those houses you mentioned save for Swiss Arabian actually do you use real Oud oil, ASAQ probably has the best agarwood. known to man, its an extremely well respected house when it comes to Oud in the Khaleej.
    Vinramani09, I don't doubt that houses such as ASAQ are highly esteemed in the gulf, in fact ASAQ has had some legendary oud oils such as Thaqeel(first distillation, as i understand), and Kalakassi, both dearly priced, of which I have tried neither. I have several blends which are good(but still fail in comparison to a blend like Pink Papua)which led me to try their oud oils. But, besides those two ouds I don't see any of their other oud oils discussed. I've owned 2 oud oils from ASAQ, in the $125-200 per 1/4 tola price, both supposedly Cambodian, both adulterated, both garbage.

PS-Which ASAQ oud oils would you recommend?
    Last edited by PEARL; 27th April 2013 at 08:03 PM.

I would never buy fragrances from ebay.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, change1. It is unfortunate that the sellers of high quality unadulterated (and great smelling) oud oils are so few and far between but it's just the way things are. I used to post on this topic but then got tired of sounding like a broken record and having to argue the same points ad nauseum.

As for the big gulf hoses, after having tried many and only falling for the original Thaqeel and Kalakassi (their more recent replacements are pretty bad though, despite the same name and even higher price) I wouldn't get anything blind from them. It could just be my personal taste, but I don't see even the best ASAQ oud oils like their various "aged Cambodi" and the "Seyoufi" as something I'd wear even for the sake of purely academic interest and self-education.

It is still possible to find decent and relatively inexpensive oils outside of the two trusted sellers everybody knows, but you'll just have to know exactly what oil and what batch to buy and unless you've sampled it yourself it's still a lottery. Oud oils are even more individual than regular fragrances and buying anything blind, even from one of the two sellers and upon a universal recommendation may not work out well.

I say listen to your gut feelings and trust your instinct.......if its too good to be true than it truly is especially terms of oudh. I'm still quite new to the oudh arena but in the last six months Alhamdurillah I've tested many oudh from different regions, big houses, distillers and distributors.
    I've blind bought and smelt some truly awful crap produced by these big houses and some good ones too .....but only to realise later that what you are smelling is still a synthetic augmentation if you were to do a side by side comparison to even a mediocre custom distilled oudh. It bares no comparison and I think is an insult to all things oudh related and to the humble distillers, the way these big houses extort money out of the fooled masses. I say stick to the wise words of some of the veteran Basenotes sages and just save your money for the real deal. Aside the famous oudh duo Agaraura and Ensaroud the following websites also contain the real deal and are very reasonably priced in my humble opinion:

Feeloudh
    Asiaforestry

And there are other problems to consider if buying products packaged by the big Houses for the European market.

Plus, on some sites, the occasional seller may alter/dilute a product once some good feedback has been earned.
    Or simply use another batch.
    Not all by any means, but it happens and is something to consider.
    Last edited by lpp; 30th April 2013 at 07:11 PM.

I bought a Surrati oud for $45, and it's the real deal. A blend of Cambodian oud oils. A tiny cut crystal bottle with a tassel on top. The front on of the bottle is emblazoned with 'Denhal Oudh Al Malaki' in gold lettering. It has become one of most favorite fragrances. I got Warda Taif to layer with it. Stunning!

Agree that Surrati is under-rated - but difficult to find in U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment.

One question though. Why does this dishonest asshat still have 100% positive feedback?
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Agree feedback's there for a reason.

Has anyone purchased anything from Oudimentary? If so, did it seem adulterated or watered down?

Quote Originally Posted by Aubuchon View Post
    Has anyone purchased anything from Oudimentary? If so, did it seem adulterated or watered down?
    I've bought plenty from Oudimentary. While not as high quality as Ensar, or Agar Aura, they sell pure oils. Not dilluted or adulterated in any way. If you want the real deal at a lower price, they are the ones to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    I've bought plenty from Oudimentary. While not as high quality as Ensar, or Agar Aura, they sell pure oils. Not dilluted or adulterated in any way. If you want the real deal at a lower price, they are the ones to go to.
    Thank you. I was just wondering if they're legitimate. The prices do seem pretty low on some like the ones distilled from Gyrinops trees. I thought those were extremely rare and in the same quality of the Borneo or Indonesian oils. I guess other things like the distillation methods or lack of aging could be what makes them a lower quality. The description does say that the oil stays close to the skin during drydown and sillage is light so it makes sense. Thanks again.

What about Aloes of Ish? I know nothing about them but the website has a lot of different Oudhs, precious oils and Attars. Their prices seem low compared to those of the reputable sellers being mentioned here. That could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    I would never buy fragrances from ebay.
    This ^^
    Call me a skeptic, but I would never buy anything from ebay, ever. Full stop.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience, change1. It is unfortunate that the sellers of high quality unadulterated (and great smelling) oud oils are so few and far between but it's just the way things are. I used to post on this topic but then got tired of sounding like a broken record and having to argue the same points ad nauseum...
    I, for one, have relied a lot on your advice, comments and posts Igor01. I'm sure there are many more than me, here on Basenotes, who appreciate your vast knowledge on oud oils, acquring them, etc.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    I took your advice and I bought a sample oil from Oudimentary called Irian Jaya. Their website describes it as "green or grassy, jungle and spice with fennel and fresh earth .Clean, sharp and dark". I don't get that.
    The first note I smell is bug spray. (the Raid from earlier years, they've cleaned it up more recently and removed the chemical smell).
    After application it opens up into a smoky barnyard odor and pretty much stays that way all day. Smelling up close to the wrist immediately transforms it back into the bug spray note again. I've read that Malinau Oud is notorious for the "bug spray" note on Basenotes forums. In comparison, I've also read that the Borneo oils are perhaps the most user-friendly oils for Westerners. Quite the contradiction. So I'm starting to wonder if there are any Oud oils without the barnyard, animalic, fecal, smoke,incense or bug spray notes or do they all have at least one of these scents? I know there are thousands of different Ouds with varying scents but any advice would be much appreciated

Oh noooooo, Raid has been reformulated?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov