Code of Conduct

Default Aquatics comparison

Hello friends, i'd love to hear your opinion on these aquatics, which you consider best for spring + summer? I know there have been similar threads before but they did not contain comparison of all of these altogether.
    I'd like to add one of these to my summer rotation which i'm currently building. (Mugler Cologne, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Terre D'Hermes / Dior Homme (not sure yet) + one of these aquatics below for casual wear rotating with Mugler).
    I'm going to sample them following days but would love to hear your opinion, which one is best

Light Blue pour Femme
    Acqua Di Gio pour Homme
    Versace eau de Fraiche
    Bvlgari Aqva
    Bvlgari Aqva Marine

really not considering Light Blue pour Homme as i've sampled it today and find it very boring, even a bit unpleasant (mainly opening).

Thanks,
    Peter

Default Re: Aquatics comparison

I know this is prejudice, but to me, all aquatics are one and the same: awful perfumes. But like you, I am open to suggestion. If someone shows me that there is one single excellent aquatic, I will revert my attitude.

Well, Millesime Imperial is an aquatic, and I personally think it's the most beautiful pure smell out there (some days I waffle and say Chanel Eau de Cologne smells better, but today I'm on the MI bandwagon). Opinions differ.

Acqua di Gio is a pleasant scent. My only knock against it is that everyone wears it -- apart from the members of the Lynx/Axe family, I would wager it's the most popular men's scent in the world. I smell AdG on men more often than any other scent. If that's not a consideration, I'd say it's a safe choice.

I haven't tried the others so I will leave it to others to talk about them.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Thx for replies , i'd like to add that Creed's are not available in my country so i'm not considering em + i do not care about popularity factor too much. I'm usually in a company of people who do not wear any scent (IT office etc...) + I do plan wearing other scents on evenings. Just looking for some casual pleasant aquatic for summer day .

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    I know this is prejudice, but to me, all aquatics are one and the same: awful perfumes. But like you, I am open to suggestion. If someone shows me that there is one single excellent aquatic, I will revert my attitude.
    Wrong.

Peter, I'm not sure if you have Truefitt & Hill available in your country but I have to say that their 1805 is a fantastic aquatic scent.

Otherwise, if you can get your hands on some Creed Erolfa to try, that one is a less popular Creed option of late and one of the better aquatics.

If you go designer, I do agree that Bulgari Aqua is not bad at all.

I would go with Versace Eau Fraiche.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    ... Otherwise, if you can get your hands on some Creed Erolfa to try, that one is a less popular Creed option of late and one of the better aquatics....
    Quote Originally Posted by sam4el View Post
    Thx for replies , i'd like to add that Creed's are not available in my country so i'm not considering em...
    Bleu de Chanel might be to your liking OP. Very safe and great for the office.

evogel: Creed's and Truefitt & Hill are not available, but anyway thx for suggestion
    chopwet: I have sample of Bleu de Chanel but do not find it anything special. I do prefer Platinum Egoiste over this one, but even that not considering to buy, as i can have here both dior homme & terre d'hermes 50ml packages together for the price of Bleu de Chanel.
    From Chanel's i've decided to buy Pour Monsieur for spring/summer & Antaeus for fall/winter (i have also sampled allure homme & allure homme sport but it was long time ago and don't exactly remember what it was like).

Banned
    Blog Entries

also sean john's unforgivable.

Acqua Di Gio pour Homme the best from the OP's list IMO.

treeman5823

Get a sample of Sel Marin by Heeley, too.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Light Blue Pour Homme,
    Acqua Di Gio,
    Virgin Island Water,
    Edition Blanche. All are great.

I know this is a prejudice, but generally people on Basenotes are trashtalking aquatics because it's a supposed marker of exclusive taste to dislike what is popularly liked. Had the historical circumstances made cyphres the hit of the 90's and 00's, I'm absolutely certain that the refined noses would have found them intolerable as well.

Heeley Sel Marin and Creed's MI are two great ones.

evogel: Creed's and Truefitt & Hill are not available, but anyway thx for suggestion
    chopwet: I have sample of Bleu de Chanel but do not find it anything special. I do prefer Platinum Egoiste over this one, but even that not considering to buy, as i can have here both dior homme & terre d'hermes 50ml packages together for the price of Bleu de Chanel.
    From Chanel's i've decided to buy Pour Monsieur for spring/summer & Antaeus for fall/winter (i have also sampled allure homme & allure homme sport but it was long time ago and don't exactly remember what it was like).
    These others you mention aren't aquatics AFAIK.

I was suggesting a safe aquatic, suitable for the office, which is what you asked for. The others you mention aren't anything special either:

Light Blue pour Femme
    Acqua Di Gio pour Homme
    Versace eau de Fraiche
    Bvlgari Aqva
    Bvlgari Aqva Marine

Are all very generic, like Bleu de Chanel.

If Dior Homme is an option I would go for that. Or Hermes' TdH. Even better: DHI. But those aren't aquatics.
    Last edited by chopwet; 28th April 2013 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    People with such refined and seasoned nose like yourself can't possibly be impressed with a lowly aquatic that us mortals and 99% of the world also like.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Acqua Di Gio and Versace Fraiche are the best.

Light Blue (pour Femme) and Bulgari Aqua are nuetral.

And Aquamarine is the least recommendable from me.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Well, Millesime Imperial is an aquatic, and I personally think it's the most beautiful pure smell out there.
    Acqua di Gio is a pleasant scent. My only knock against it is that everyone wears it
    These would be my top 2 nominations. You can order MI online if it isn't available in your country. If you want to sample first, you can order samples from places like Surrender to CHance and the Perfumed COurt.

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    Bleu de Chanel might be to your liking OP. Very safe and great for the office.
    True, but not an aquatic, unless we are going to call every fresh scent or scent with Blue/Blv/Bleu in the name aquatic.

Bvlgari Aqua isn't bad either, but you may want to test it first because I get a fishy smell from both Aqua and Aqua Marine. YMMV.

Of the ones you've listed, I've only tried Aqva and Aqva Marine. I like and own Aqva, but didn't like Aqva Marine at all. Had too much of a literal sea/fishy smell. Wanted to scrub it off. I was surprised too, I figured it'd be pretty much the same as Aqva.

My favorite aquatic is Creed Millesime Imperial. Erolfa is okay as well.

i'd like to add that Creed's are not available in my country so i'm not considering em
    Sup Peter,

Of the one's you've listed, I'd say ADG. While you're smelling frags, you might as well check out Dior Homme Sport, Bleu de Chanel and YSL L'Homme. Let us know what you land on.
    Last edited by Shiny Beast; 28th April 2013 at 04:48 AM.

AdG, if not MI / Erolfa from Creed

Eau Fraiche is a calone bomb to me, while LB pour Femme is more citrus than aquatic. Aqva Marine is a bit astringest/sour, IMO. So, it's either a slightly more challenging aquatic in Aqva, which is nice but definitely important to sample first since it's got some interesting notes that may not agree with everyone, or AdG, which is, as someone said above, one of the most worn scents in the world likely...but rather pleasant in my opinion. If it were me, I'd probably go AdG.

Adg smells great.

Light Blue pour Femme
    Acqua Di Gio pour Homme
    Versace eau de Fraiche
    Bvlgari Aqva
    Bvlgari Aqva Marine

really not considering Light Blue pour Homme as i've sampled it today and find it very boring, even a bit unpleasant (mainly opening).

Thanks,
    Peter
    Curious - I've passed on buying fairly cheaply the four masculine ones you have listed, because three did nothing for me and the Versace one I didn't like. I agree with your assessment of Light Blue PH. The only one I have bought is Light Blue PF, and my wife really likes it, but I'd never wear it.

Consider a cheap bottle of Halston Unbound or Eternity Summer (doesn't matter which summer) as an alternative to ADG. Or Baldessarini's Del Mar for something more oceanic.
    Regards,
    Renato

Bvlgari Aqva is a unique scent,
    Bottle worth for me.

AdG of the one's you mention.

Of the ones you mentioned I like Bulgari Aqua PH the most, very well in every aspect.
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit