Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Crabtree and Evelyn West Indian Lime

Looking for a new(to me) frag for summer. This looks interesting, anyone talk about the longevity/projection?
    C&E West Indian Lime...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Default Re: Crabtree and Evelyn West Indian Lime

I vaguely remember it smelling good but have not skin tested it. Maybe I will stop by if I think about it and request a sample.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I have a bottle I got in trade some time ago, I love lime fragrances, despite the fact that lime doesn't last at all. That being said, I get good longevity out of WIL, the lime top notes aren't particularly limey, but it' a nice soapy fragrance, reminds me of Gendarme with a little lime thrown in, refreshing and a little synthetic, hence the decent longevity. I'll probably replace it when I runs out as I like soapy/light woods fragrances. It's not the most realistic lime if that's what you are looking for, but it's pretty good for what it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puig View Post
    I have a bottle I got in trade some time ago, I love lime fragrances, despite the fact that lime doesn't last at all. That being said, I get good longevity out of WIL, the lime top notes aren't particularly limey, but it' a nice soapy fragrance, reminds me of Gendarme with a little lime thrown in, refreshing and a little synthetic, hence the decent longevity. I'll probably replace it when I runs out as I like soapy/light woods fragrances. It's not the most realistic lime if that's what you are looking for, but it's pretty good for what it is.
    I love lime frags also, but it is difficult to find lime themed fragrances that last longer than 4 hrs. I have tried many, and most fizzle out after a few hours. Eau de New York by Bond no. 9 probably lasted the longest of any citrus I have tried...anything by Bn9 lasts all day, but the blend of citrus with the florals failed to impress me.

The opening and middle of WIL is limey goodness, while the drydown is more vetiver and spice with a bit of lime. This means that its longevity is really quite good.
    I agree with puig that it has the soapiness to it, as do all C&E fragrances, it seems.

I really like this stuff, and only Bergamote 22 has challenged its position as my go-to summer scent. No less than three of my friends now also own it after trying it at my place and loving it.
    With so many C&E stores around, I recommend you head down and test it. It is a wonderful warm-weather scent, particularly at home with weekend casual attire on a very warm day.
    Projection is low to average, but with warmer weather and skin temperature it travels a bit farther.

That being said, I get good longevity out of WIL, the lime top notes aren't particularly limey, but it' a nice soapy fragrance, reminds me of Gendarme with a little lime thrown in, refreshing and a little synthetic, hence the decent longevity. It's not the most realistic lime if that's what you are looking for, but it's pretty good for what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    The opening and middle of WIL is limey goodness, while the drydown is more vetiver and spice with a bit of lime. This means that its longevity is really quite good.
    Projection is low to average, but with warmer weather and skin temperature it travels a bit farther.
    I agree with all that. Very good but not the limeiest of limes and although sillage is on the poor side longevity isn't bad at all. Anyway it smells very clean and fresh and is good for summer.

Blog Entries

Thanks all, I will make an effort to seek this out. So many Lime fragrances I have tried are tied with coconut or made to smell like a pina colata. Then there is Windsor which is just a lime and eucalyptus mess. I'm not one for vetiver unless is plays a supporting role only, so this sounds promising.

Possum, I'm not a big Windsor fan either, and coconut is a no go for me. I have tried tons of lime fragrances and Crabtree's does last longer than any of them, even though the lime is not what is lasting, as that just can't happen. Some of the cheaper ones are the best, no sense spending a lot for a note that just can't last. Try Royall Lyme, Caswell Massey Lime, or Taylor of Old Bond St, Victorian Limes (probably my favorite). The most realistic is Trumper's Limes, which lasts fifteen minutes at best, but is sublime.

Blog Entries

Possum, I'm not a big Windsor fan either, and coconut is a no go for me. I have tried tons of lime fragrances and Crabtree's does last longer than any of them, even though the lime is not what is lasting, as that just can't happen. Some of the cheaper ones are the best, no sense spending a lot for a note that just can't last. Try Royall Lyme, Caswell Massey Lime, or Taylor of Old Bond St, Victorian Limes (probably my favorite). The most realistic is Trumper's Limes, which lasts fifteen minutes at best, but is sublime.
    True, with some of my frags that just don't last, I have atomizers which I carry to 'refresh' the frag. throughout the day. I refuse to pay alot for something that won't last more than 3hrs, but there are inexpensive ones that I will buy.

I've tried the TOBS Victorian Lime aftershave and I actually get decent longevity out of it - enough to avoid wearing a frag that day. The fragrance may be worth trying.

I've tried this and others in their line and have found them to be fleeting on my skin. Just don't last on me.

I own a bottle. It's a very fresh, pleasant scent. Doesn't last that long but lasted longer than I imagined it would.

I suppose it's changed over the years. It used to be a marvellously astringent, luxurious lime, quite uncompromising. Showing my age, though: this was in the 80s. If it's gone the way of Mysore Sandalwood, it's probably a feeble, soapy ghost of its former self...

Thought about getting this one for a while. Would like to get a sample before I pull the trigger on this one.

Longevity has been an issue why i passed on it.