Code of Conduct

Default Have you ever smelt in your dream?

Have you ever smelt in your dream? If so, what did you 'smell'?

http://thesmellyvagabond.wordpress.c...in-our-dreams/
    Check out my perfume blog, The Smelly Vagabond: http://thesmellyvagabond.wordpress.com

Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

Your sense of smell shuts off when you're asleep. That's why it's good to test the longevity of fragrances by applying them before you go to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Your sense of smell shuts off when you're asleep. That's why it's good to test the longevity of fragrances by applying them before you go to bed.
    I think the OP isn't referring to actual smelling, as in smelling something through your nose. I think he means smelling in a dream, meaning that smelling is part of a dream you're having. I've done this. I have no idea how often I've smelled in dreams though. I only realized recently that I can smell in dreams because I had a dream where I was on a date and she pulled out a little bottle of perfume from her purse and handed it to me. It smelled like dried fruit and slightly burnt woods. I don't remember the rest of the dream - just that one detail - but I vividly remember waking up and thinking "OMFG! I want that!" I'm 99% sure whatever I smelled in the dream isn't a real perfume though. I think it's just something my mind made up, but I've been on a dried fruit kick ever since!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I don't think I have ever experienced being scented in a dream.

treeman5823

I often smell in my dreams.

Every once in awhile right before I wake up I'll smell bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy, corned beef hash, hashbrowns....I could go on....my mother used to make huge breakfast for our family every morning. To this day if I smell bacon in the morning I'll wake up within no time.

Yes. I sometimes have dreams in which I'm out shopping and come across a cache of vintage frags. Sometimes they're cheap, and sometimes they're astronomically priced. But I can "smell" them when I open them. They never smell like I expect or remember. Often floral and musky, usually rather muted. And they often all smell about the same.

Funnily, I can't "taste" in my dreams. Those luscious chocolate chip cookies that haunt my sleep? Nada.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

i have been dreaming a lot of Aventus

One thing I have noticed is if you apply a fragrance before you go to sleep and then wake up a few hours later the scent is really powerful. It must have something to do with certain filters not having started operating yet that are normally active during your waking hours (I guess.)

Yatagan
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    One thing I have noticed is if you apply a fragrance before you go to sleep and then wake up a few hours later the scent is really powerful. It must have something to do with certain filters not having started operating yet that are normally active during your waking hours (I guess.)
    Actually, no. It happens because your body heats up at night as you sleep, especially if your mattress and bedding retain a lot of heat. As your body heat increases, fragrances project.

Yes, in my dreams I've smelled someone and recognized the scent. one time I dreamt i was comparing two fragrances in both of my wrists.
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I think the OP isn't referring to actual smelling, as in smelling something through your nose. I think he means smelling in a dream, meaning that smelling is part of a dream you're having. I've done this. I have no idea how often I've smelled in dreams though. I only realized recently that I can smell in dreams because I had a dream where I was on a date and she pulled out a little bottle of perfume from her purse and handed it to me. It smelled like dried fruit and slightly burnt woods. I don't remember the rest of the dream - just that one detail - but I vividly remember waking up and thinking "OMFG! I want that!" I'm 99% sure whatever I smelled in the dream isn't a real perfume though. I think it's just something my mind made up, but I've been on a dried fruit kick ever since!
    That's precisely how I felt! Waking up and thinking: WOW I WANT THAT PERFUME IN REAL LIFE! I've heard that people have actually 'smelt' actual perfumes (not made up ones) in their sleep. Now, I just have to start dreaming of expensive perfumes I can never afford...
    Check out my perfume blog, The Smelly Vagabond: http://thesmellyvagabond.wordpress.com

Only times were smell of my girlfriend (s), other than that I've been vaguely reminded even in day to day life the smell of my girlfriends apartment and obviously her smell / the frags she wears - it's more like a memory coming back and the mind seems to sense the smell of that past moment - anyone had this kind of an experience?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Only times were smell of my girlfriend (s), other than that I've been vaguely reminded even in day to day life the smell of my girlfriends apartment and obviously her smell / the frags she wears - it's more like a memory coming back and the mind seems to sense the smell of that past moment - anyone had this kind of an experience?
    Oh and the above isn't day dreaming

See post 2...

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, no. It happens because your body heats up at night as you sleep, especially if your mattress and bedding retain a lot of heat. As your body heat increases, fragrances project.
    Also see post 2.

Can't recall ever smelling in my dreams.

Yes, I have had dreams in which I felt smells of things. But not of perfumes, not yet.

I don't think it's as simple as that to be honest, otherwise I would start to notice insane projection every time I got really hot, eg running, rock climbing lying by a hot fire, etc

Yes, in my dream I bought Creed Royal Oud on eBay, and when it arrived it was fake, Bummer... Then I woke up... What a waste of a dream...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    See post 2...

- - - Updated - - -

Also see post 2.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. I don't get the relevance of your sense of smell shutting off when you're asleep. I was talking about the scent being very strong if I wake up in the night.
    Also how would you explain smelling salts to revive an unconscious person?

Yes, can't remember specifics, but I've experienced being able to smell in my dreams.

Though I dream about dream about fragrances quite often, the strange thing is that, once awake, I can hardly remember the fragrances I have dreamed about.

I have smelt in my dream (once) and it was of Ylang Ylang oil.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I don't get the relevance of your sense of smell shutting off when you're asleep. I was talking about the scent being very strong if I wake up in the night.
    Smelling salts do not work because of their smell, but rather because they are an irritant. They release ammonia gas, which irritates the mucus membranes in your airways.

On topic, I have experienced smelling in a couple of dreams. It is an odd experience for me, as it happens very rarely!
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    Smelling salts do not work because of their smell, but rather because they are an irritant. They release ammonia gas, which irritates the mucus membranes in your airways.

On topic, I have experienced smelling in a couple of dreams. It is an odd experience for me, as it happens very rarely!
    You learn something new every day

Basenotes Plus

Strangely enough, never.

I think Qwertyop thought the thread was about smelling while asleep. It's actually about smelling in a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    I have experienced smelling in a couple of dreams. It is an odd experience for me, as it happens very rarely!
    Yup. I've only experienced it a few times that I know of. The perfume dream I mentioned above really rattled me because I woke up immediately and, obviously, the smell was gone, but I could still remember it so vividly. And I sat there thinking "Dammit! Why can't I find something like that?!"

You lucky guys! I can fly in my dreams – but smelling? Unfortunately not.

It may be considered good luck to smell something pleasant in your dream and opposite for bad smells.

I wish I could !

Quote Originally Posted by craniumbash View Post
    It may be considered good luck to smell something pleasant in your dream and opposite for bad smells.
    Hmm, I actually won quite a bit of cash, last time I smelled something in my dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    You lucky guys! I can fly in my dreams – but smelling? Unfortunately not.
    I usually do a LOT of flying (and shooting fireballs from my hands...) in my dreams
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Funny you ask this question because last night I dreamt I was testing the fresh new Hermes Eau de Narcisse Bleu! And I was trying very very hard to smell something! I got nothing from it despite spraying like a fool. It must be the "Ellena touch"
    I ended up trying something else and I don't know how to explain it, but it was clear I was getting orange blossom. I must add that I'm not a huge fan of orange blossom!

I once had a dream in which I smelled Original Vetiver by Creed, though strangely at the time I had yet to actually smell it. Luckily, my dreams didn't disappoint and now it is one of my favorites and quite high on my "To-Get" list.

Never smelt in my dreams. Salmon once, but not smelt.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

You can't actually smell in your dreams but you can dream a reaction to certain smell. I dreamt about a month ago that I don't like Boss Bottled for some reason - I could not actually feel the smell in a dream XD