Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 35
  1. #1

    Default Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Have you ever smelt in your dream? If so, what did you 'smell'?

    http://thesmellyvagabond.wordpress.c...in-our-dreams/
    Check out my perfume blog, The Smelly Vagabond: http://thesmellyvagabond.wordpress.com

  2. #2

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Your sense of smell shuts off when you're asleep. That's why it's good to test the longevity of fragrances by applying them before you go to bed.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Your sense of smell shuts off when you're asleep. That's why it's good to test the longevity of fragrances by applying them before you go to bed.
    I think the OP isn't referring to actual smelling, as in smelling something through your nose. I think he means smelling in a dream, meaning that smelling is part of a dream you're having. I've done this. I have no idea how often I've smelled in dreams though. I only realized recently that I can smell in dreams because I had a dream where I was on a date and she pulled out a little bottle of perfume from her purse and handed it to me. It smelled like dried fruit and slightly burnt woods. I don't remember the rest of the dream - just that one detail - but I vividly remember waking up and thinking "OMFG! I want that!" I'm 99% sure whatever I smelled in the dream isn't a real perfume though. I think it's just something my mind made up, but I've been on a dried fruit kick ever since!
    I have a 100ml Gucci Pour Homme 2003 that I'll swap for Reflection Man or De Bachmakov. PM me if interested.

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    107,739

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    I don't think I have ever experienced being scented in a dream.

  5. #5
    treeman5823
    Guest

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    I often smell in my dreams.

  6. #6
    silentrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers, FL
    Posts
    5,215

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Every once in awhile right before I wake up I'll smell bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy, corned beef hash, hashbrowns....I could go on....my mother used to make huge breakfast for our family every morning. To this day if I smell bacon in the morning I'll wake up within no time.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Yes. I sometimes have dreams in which I'm out shopping and come across a cache of vintage frags. Sometimes they're cheap, and sometimes they're astronomically priced. But I can "smell" them when I open them. They never smell like I expect or remember. Often floral and musky, usually rather muted. And they often all smell about the same.

    Funnily, I can't "taste" in my dreams. Those luscious chocolate chip cookies that haunt my sleep? Nada.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

    -ROTS


  8. #8

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    i have been dreaming a lot of Aventus

  9. #9
    Dependent martinijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    One thing I have noticed is if you apply a fragrance before you go to sleep and then wake up a few hours later the scent is really powerful. It must have something to do with certain filters not having started operating yet that are normally active during your waking hours (I guess.)

  10. #10
    Dependent bigsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisc.
    Posts
    1,718

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Yatagan
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

  11. #11

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    One thing I have noticed is if you apply a fragrance before you go to sleep and then wake up a few hours later the scent is really powerful. It must have something to do with certain filters not having started operating yet that are normally active during your waking hours (I guess.)
    Actually, no. It happens because your body heats up at night as you sleep, especially if your mattress and bedding retain a lot of heat. As your body heat increases, fragrances project.
    I have a 100ml Gucci Pour Homme 2003 that I'll swap for Reflection Man or De Bachmakov. PM me if interested.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Yes, in my dreams I've smelled someone and recognized the scent. one time I dreamt i was comparing two fragrances in both of my wrists.
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I think the OP isn't referring to actual smelling, as in smelling something through your nose. I think he means smelling in a dream, meaning that smelling is part of a dream you're having. I've done this. I have no idea how often I've smelled in dreams though. I only realized recently that I can smell in dreams because I had a dream where I was on a date and she pulled out a little bottle of perfume from her purse and handed it to me. It smelled like dried fruit and slightly burnt woods. I don't remember the rest of the dream - just that one detail - but I vividly remember waking up and thinking "OMFG! I want that!" I'm 99% sure whatever I smelled in the dream isn't a real perfume though. I think it's just something my mind made up, but I've been on a dried fruit kick ever since!
    That's precisely how I felt! Waking up and thinking: WOW I WANT THAT PERFUME IN REAL LIFE! I've heard that people have actually 'smelt' actual perfumes (not made up ones) in their sleep. Now, I just have to start dreaming of expensive perfumes I can never afford...
    Check out my perfume blog, The Smelly Vagabond: http://thesmellyvagabond.wordpress.com

  14. #14

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Only times were smell of my girlfriend (s), other than that I've been vaguely reminded even in day to day life the smell of my girlfriends apartment and obviously her smell / the frags she wears - it's more like a memory coming back and the mind seems to sense the smell of that past moment - anyone had this kind of an experience?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Only times were smell of my girlfriend (s), other than that I've been vaguely reminded even in day to day life the smell of my girlfriends apartment and obviously her smell / the frags she wears - it's more like a memory coming back and the mind seems to sense the smell of that past moment - anyone had this kind of an experience?
    Oh and the above isn't day dreaming

  15. #15

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    One thing I have noticed is if you apply a fragrance before you go to sleep and then wake up a few hours later the scent is really powerful. It must have something to do with certain filters not having started operating yet that are normally active during your waking hours (I guess.)
    See post 2...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Actually, no. It happens because your body heats up at night as you sleep, especially if your mattress and bedding retain a lot of heat. As your body heat increases, fragrances project.
    Also see post 2.

  16. #16
    Basenotes Institution sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    15,328

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Can't recall ever smelling in my dreams.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Yes, I have had dreams in which I felt smells of things. But not of perfumes, not yet.

  18. #18
    Dependent martinijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Actually, no. It happens because your body heats up at night as you sleep, especially if your mattress and bedding retain a lot of heat. As your body heat increases, fragrances project.
    I don't think it's as simple as that to be honest, otherwise I would start to notice insane projection every time I got really hot, eg running, rock climbing lying by a hot fire, etc

  19. #19

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Yes, in my dream I bought Creed Royal Oud on eBay, and when it arrived it was fake, Bummer... Then I woke up... What a waste of a dream...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

  20. #20
    Dependent martinijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    See post 2...

    - - - Updated - - -



    Also see post 2.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. I don't get the relevance of your sense of smell shutting off when you're asleep. I was talking about the scent being very strong if I wake up in the night.
    Also how would you explain smelling salts to revive an unconscious person?

  21. #21

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Yes, can't remember specifics, but I've experienced being able to smell in my dreams.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Though I dream about dream about fragrances quite often, the strange thing is that, once awake, I can hardly remember the fragrances I have dreamed about.
    Currently wearing: Zara Man Gold by Zara

  23. #23

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    I have smelt in my dream (once) and it was of Ylang Ylang oil.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. I don't get the relevance of your sense of smell shutting off when you're asleep. I was talking about the scent being very strong if I wake up in the night.
    Also how would you explain smelling salts to revive an unconscious person?
    Smelling salts do not work because of their smell, but rather because they are an irritant. They release ammonia gas, which irritates the mucus membranes in your airways.


    On topic, I have experienced smelling in a couple of dreams. It is an odd experience for me, as it happens very rarely!

  25. #25
    Dependent martinijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Quote Originally Posted by Norstrøm View Post
    Smelling salts do not work because of their smell, but rather because they are an irritant. They release ammonia gas, which irritates the mucus membranes in your airways.


    On topic, I have experienced smelling in a couple of dreams. It is an odd experience for me, as it happens very rarely!
    You learn something new every day

  26. #26
    Frag Bomb Squadron XIII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,659

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Strangely enough, never.
    Currently wearing: Cuoio by Odori

  27. #27

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. I don't get the relevance of your sense of smell shutting off when you're asleep. I was talking about the scent being very strong if I wake up in the night.
    Also how would you explain smelling salts to revive an unconscious person?
    I think Qwertyop thought the thread was about smelling while asleep. It's actually about smelling in a dream.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norstrøm View Post
    I have experienced smelling in a couple of dreams. It is an odd experience for me, as it happens very rarely!
    Yup. I've only experienced it a few times that I know of. The perfume dream I mentioned above really rattled me because I woke up immediately and, obviously, the smell was gone, but I could still remember it so vividly. And I sat there thinking "Dammit! Why can't I find something like that?!"
    I have a 100ml Gucci Pour Homme 2003 that I'll swap for Reflection Man or De Bachmakov. PM me if interested.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    You lucky guys! I can fly in my dreams – but smelling? Unfortunately not.

  29. #29
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Islamabad Pakistan
    Posts
    320

    Default

    It may be considered good luck to smell something pleasant in your dream and opposite for bad smells.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Have you ever smelt in your dream?

    I wish I could !

Similar Threads

  1. Best fragrance you have ever smelt?
    By Verai55 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 30th November 2013, 07:06 PM
  2. Never smelt the same since :(
    By Turts in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25th January 2012, 09:22 PM
  3. I just smelt the most amazing sillage!
    By scent in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 18th March 2011, 09:31 PM
  4. Please Help I just need someone who has smelt Acqua Di Gios help
    By nub64 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 23rd February 2011, 02:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000