Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens Cuir or Kublai

Which do you guys prefer between Cuir Mauresque and Kublai Khan? I'm going to get one of these two and I understand that they're two totally different kinds of things but I figured getting some other opinions couldn't hurt.

Default Re: Serge Lutens Cuir or Kublai

Of these two which I have tried - Cuir Mauresque would be my choice.

Get both - both are grt frags, but poles apart, very diff notes...Its like choosing between apples and oranges.

out of my 40+ Serge Lutens in my collection, MKK is my all time fav, it's a unique and a masterpiece of work. one of the best Musc scent on the market.

Cuir Mauresque is ok, not a bad scent, however, there are better Cuir out there
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Get both - both are grt frags, but poles apart, very diff notes...Its like choosing between apples and oranges.
    Ditto that. They're my two favourite SLs (especially since Chergui is not a patch on what it once was), and I'm happy to own both.

CM has a beautiful oily leather opening that softens up as it dries down, and its strength is still something to be admired.
    MKK is...well....MKK. Some folks hate it, I love it and won't be without it.

The Khan. MKK is more radical. It is a conceptual perfume. Not easy for american noses (it smells like your balls), but a masterpiece nonetheless. I have a full bottle.

Get MKK and then pick up a small 30ml bottle of Knize Ten from First in Fragrance instead of CM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post
    Cuir Mauresque is ok, not a bad scent, however, there are better Cuir out there
    +1

To me it smelled like a spiced up version of a tame Knize 10 without the petroleum note.

I don't get the comparisons to K10.
    Sure they're leathers, but I think K10 is more akin to Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire than CM.
    I'll revisit K10 (I've still got another 8-9mL left) but I still prefer the Lutens.
    I'm wearing Tom of Finland today which is an excellent leather, too.

I also think that while both CM and K10 have great longevity, the projection is much better on CM, particularly after a couple of hours.

There's nothing like MKK and yes, it does smell like your balls dusted with a bit of rose. I love it but I must confess I rarely wear it. I wear CM slightly more but think less of it.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I also think that while both CM and K10 have great longevity, the projection is much better on CM, particularly after a couple of hours.
    The last Knize 10 bottle I bought from LuckyScent 1 year ago had pathetic longevity. I've seen reviews that mention the same thing. I am comparing it to Knize 10 Golden Edition which IMO is the superior leather scent. I think the current original Knize 10 has gone down the tubes. I wouldn't buy it again that's for sure. I ditched my $80 in the trash. Why keep something with very little longevity ?

Ah ok, Golden Edition, am yet to try that one.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    The Khan. MKK is more radical. It is a conceptual perfume. Not easy for american noses (it smells like your balls), but a masterpiece nonetheless. I have a full bottle.
    I own both and have to tell you MKK is for your own pleasure only while Cuir usually accepted well by friends and lovers.
    I tried MKK on a date and the response was - it indeed smells like a mongolian warrior that had not bathed. for WEEKS))

CM for me and apparently Serge Lutens who only wears this according to a recent article on the great man.

Kublai Khan is better in term of creativity and artistry. It's also quite easy to wear IMO. Flowers and well-behaved musk (unlike those insanely dirty musk in fragrances like Musc Ravageur).
    Cuir Mauresque on the other hand, smells similar to a million of other "cuir" fragrances out there