Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Dior Vetiver or Givenchy Vetyver...?

I love vetiver based fragrances and have a number of them in my rotation. The usual suspects, you might say.

Chanel Sycomore - love it, a classic.
    Lalique Encre Noir - love it, amazingly good find, one of my best blind buys.
    Guerlain Vetiver - a little old fashioned, rarely use it.
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - love it, love the modern citrus vibe.
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes (Pure Parfum) - love it, great everyday scent, though vetiver is not necessarily it's strongest point.
    Creed Original Vetiver - little actual vetiver here, but I like the clean/fresh vibe from this one - sort of a clean cologne more than anything.

... and probably a few others that get less use. The ones listed above I use all the time, with the exception of Guerlain (yes, yes, it's a grandaddy of the vetiver world, but that's kind of the problem I have in my relationship with it).

I'd like to add to this maybe one or two more, preferably something that works well in warmer climates. I'm in southern California so there's not much winter to speak of. For reference, think 60-70 degrees F in the winter, 80-90 in the summer, and when I get away to say Palm Springs, it can easily be 120 degrees there in the summer.

So I'm looking for recommendations what other vetivers I could, or should, add to my collection. I've narrowed down the list to these options:

Dior La Collection Privée Vetiver
    Givenchy Les Parfums Mythiques Vetyver

Recommendations? I'd love to hear from those who have tried these two more than just from quick sampling. Which would you pick between these two, and why? I will no doubt end up with both, eventually, but if I was to buy just one this month - which one would you suggest?

PS: I have not tried Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire yet, either, so that's perhaps another one to add to my list... for this one, though, considering the price, I'd rather get a sample. Dior and Givenchy I'm ok to blind-buy, they are much more reasonably priced.

Default Re: Dior Vetiver or Givenchy Vetyver...?

I think you would prefer the Dior, as it is somewhat fresher and more modern to my nose than the Givenchy, although I like both. Moreover, rumour has it that the Dior has been discontinued, so that's another reason for buying that one first.

Own and love both but prefer the Dior.

+1 for the Dior Vetiver.

If you are looking for a very warm weather vetiver, you could also try: Armani Prive Vetiver Babylone or Atelier Vetiver Fatal

These are nice vetiver based fragrances, with plenty of bergamot to lighten/soften it up - making them very good for summer use.

I prefer the Givenchy. It is a more hardcore Vetiver experience.

I've ordered a sample of the Givenchy after reading so many great things and given I'm back on a vetiver kick right now. Meantime, I headed to our Neiman Marcus yesterday to spritz on some of the Dior Vetiver. (By the way, the SA there said that Vetiver is not discontinued, for what it's worth.)

The Dior surprised me in how much it reminded me of Guerlain Vetiver. The vetiver in it, at least, is very similar to me. Of course, the Dior lacks the Guerlain's tobacco note, which likely helps it feel a bit more modern. I also didn't get the shrill, sharp, shrieking note I get from the Guerlain (I'm sensitive to certain white musks, I believe). The coffee wasn't obvious in the Dior; mostly it was just a very straightforward, high-quality vetiver.

If you enjoy the type of vetiver featured in the Guerlain, but maybe not the surrounding notes, you'd probably like the Dior.

I will add that Vetiver Extraordinaire is fantastic. I also own Sycomore, but I see Vetiver Extraordinaire as quite contrasting to Chanel's dark brown, smoky and autumnal take. V.E. is a bit more fresh, angular rather than round, both citrusy in the beginning and then embracing the rubbery facet of vetiver. It's very sleek and elegant but in a chic way. It also manages to smell very "of the earth" in the sense of growing things, of forests and grass, though it's not as "brown" earthy as Sycomore. It's gorgeous, though, and you really must try it.

Both are excellent, I'd give an edge to the Dior.

But I also think you should first try Vetiver extraordinaire. It is the freshest, zingiest vetiver around, no deep woods or tobacco or anything. Just pure, natural freshness. And surprisingly long lasting. The only drawback of course is the price.

cacio

Givenchy is great, but it is super earthy... definitely "round" in contrast to the angularity of vetiver extaordinaire.

My problem is with sillage and longevity... it stays very, very close to the skin on me, which is actually just fine since it is sort of a "just for me" scent (I don't know if others would appreciate this one so much since it deviates, in a good way, from the current trends of perfumery.

So in short, the Givenchy is fantastic, at least I think it is, but one that is enjoyed more as a personal experience--

Basenotes Plus

Excellent suggestions guys - thank you.

Armani Prive Vetiver Babylone seems to be more difficult to find than a real unicorn, so that may be off the list just for that one reason. Unless - does anyone have a decant they are willing to share? :-)

Atelier Vetiver Fatal - interesting description, and sounds like it could be a contender. Does it only come in 30ml and 200ml though? Nothing in between, say 75-100ml? (luckyscent only has the small and huge bottles). And is it nearly as sweet as Hermes Vetiver Tonka? I didn't care for that one too much - too sweet for my taste, and the nutty notes didn't make it any more appealing.

So between the Dior and Givenchy, sounds like Dior might be more up my speed, a more "modern" interpretation, if you will. But now I'm also itching for Vetiver Extraordinaire - I should really give this one a try sooner rather than later. Is Barneys NY the only place in the US that carries it?

BTW, onethinline - you mentioned you tested Dior Vetiver at Neiman Marcus...? I thought La Collection Privée was only available at Dior boutiques? Hmmm, maybe I should go check out my local NM store. I know they certainly did not carry Chanel Les Exclusifs last time I checked, so I'm surprised they possibly carry Dior.

I prefer the Dior. I used to have both but sold the Givenchy and kept the Dior.

To me personally the Givenchy wins out by a mere whisker; the Dior is also a nice scent.

Remik: the Neiman Marcus in San Francisco just recently got the full Dior Privee collection; before that I was able to try some of them at the Dior Homme boutique just up the street from there. I suspect not all Neiman Marcus stores have the line, but it's certainly worth checking the one near you. Also, Surrender to Chance or The Perfumed Court are great sites for ordering samples and small decants.

Barney's is likely the easiest place to find Vetiver Extraordinaire, though there are some Malle boutiques out there. You can also order a small decant from one of the above sites, or request a sample from Frederic Malle's web site. It's not to be missed, though. Really rich, crisp, multifaceted, "alive" take on vetiver.

Own and enjoy both.

They're very different.

The Givenchy has this effect that remains the whole time. I don't mean its linear in transition.

But theres something in the accord that has this sticky effect. Ever been drenched with water and have your clothes sticking to you?

Its like that but instead of it being a nuisance its beautiful.

Dior Vetiver is a classic , high quality and solid South American-based Vetiver. Irreplaceable from the line genre.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Dior Vetiver is a classic , high quality and solid South American-based Vetiver. Irreplaceable from the line genre.
    A great succinct summary of the Dior.

Dior Vetiver is really nice. Freddy Malle's Vetiver is also really nice but it's pricey. Same with Hermes Vetiver Tonka.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Own and enjoy both.

They're very different.

The Givenchy has this effect that remains the whole time. I don't mean its linear in transition.

But theres something in the accord that has this sticky effect. Ever been drenched with water and have your clothes sticking to you?

Its like that but instead of it being a nuisance its beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    A great succinct summary of the Dior.

I think a lot of people remarked that Dior Vetiver was too linear. The coffee note wasn't pronounced enough.

I actually am happy Dior did it this way. What they were able to achieve was a vetiver that remained tightly linked to its classical roots (pun partially intended) while at the same time using modern aromachemicals to give it a miniscule of a twist. At the end quality of blend and ingredients were intact.

Its been discontinued by the way.

Hurry to get yourself a bottle. lol
    for swap/sale:

Power Where You Need It

I would get both especially considering the Dior have been discontinued. Give a chance to Vetiver Extraordinaire which is still my favorite go-to fragrance for warmer weathers.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Update:

So I ended up blind buying Vetiver Exteairdinaire and got decants of Givenchy Vetyver and Sel de Vetiver. No doubt going to order Dior Vetiver in a few days, too.

Vetiver Exteairdinaire - very good indeed. Interesting take on vetiver, clean, modern, will definitely enjoy wearing it. Price is my only complaint here, if it wasn't so difficult to get, it would be more of a $150 fragrance. I don't think it's worth $265 (+ tax) but no regrets, it's only money.

Givenchy Vetyver - pleasantly surprised! The first couple hours it totally reminds me of Hermes Equipage, with all sweetness of Equipage removed (and Equipage is not sweet to begin with!). Dry, smoky, rich... smells like old money (though Equipage admittedly does this much better). After that, the drydown is nice, clean, sharp, cold - very well blended vetiver. Two thumbs up, especially since you can get a 100ml bottle for under $100. Great value for such high quality juice.

Sel de Vetiver - just got it today - will be testing it tomorrow.

Whoever keeps calling the Dior "nice" is right on. It's made with good stuff but it's as generic and banal as they come.