Code of Conduct

Default Showing Prada Some Love

Indulge me, if you will, but I feel like ranting a bit about one of my designer favorites.

Prada's Luna Rossa has quickly become one of my go to spring/summer fragrances, competing alongside the likes of GIT and MI. I can't really explain what it is about this fragrance that has me so excited, but I'll do my best, because I think right now it's sitting under the radar as one of the better designer offerings on the market.

It opens up with a bitter orange note, and this note stays present (albeit a little behind the scenes) for the entire duration of this fragrance's longevity. I love this note. It's a pleasant departure from the usual suspects of the citrus world like lemon or regular orange without being synthetic, like (at least to my nose) the yuzu found in L'eau d'issey.

From there it relaxes into a powdery lavender and this is the main note for the remainder of the longevity. It smells clean without smelling synthetic or too cloying. It's a good floral note that I think makes this frag very unisex. Along with the lavender I get hints of mint which adds to the freshness of the scent, and also to the uniqueness (mint seems to be an uncommon note to my understanding). There have been some comparisons to a soapiness and I suppose those are valid, but in that case Luna Rossa would be the highest class of high class soaps.

Luna Rossa, above all, exudes cleanliness. It's smooth, light and fresh, and for those reasons it's wearable pretty much anywhere. Contrary to what one might expect considering the lightness of its notes, Luna Rossa actually exceeds expectations when it comes to projection. You won't fill a room but people who walk past you will get a good whif. When it comes to longevity, Luna Rossa takes your expectations and throws them out the window. Luna Rossa lasts FOREVER. I put it on relatively early in the morning and it lasts me well into the night, and often into the next morning without ever really becoming a skin scent. It's never a projection powerhouse but it does a suitable job and it does the same level of work through almost its entire duration, a feat many stronger frags can't attest to.

Overall, I love Luna Rossa. I find myself reaching for it far more than I thought I would entering into the spring, especially considering my recent acquisition of GIT (which I still wear more often, but not as MUCH more often as I had thought). Prada has really outdone themselves here, and despite comparisons to l'infusion, I find LR to be the vastly superior frag. I've never seen it mentioned here on BN so I just wanted to show it a little love.

Sorry for rambling. Peace

Default Re: Showing Prada Some Love

Having passion about a particular fragrance is a wonderful thing.

A buddy of mine has a bottle. Gave me a small decant of it. Not bad at all.

Very nice from the house of Prada. I also share your sentiments. Very well done and one of if not my favorite Prada. One of the best releases out from a designer house in a long time. I also recommend the shower gel and shave balm.

You can pencil me into the fan category. However, I would prefer it to have less resemblance to Infusion d'homme.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Having passion about a particular fragrance is a wonderful thing.
    Agree completely!
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

I genuinely enjoy most or all of their Infusion fragrance ranges- in my opinion, a rather underrated fragrance house.

This just goes to show how polarising fragrances can be. For me, it is Prada's worst offering by a country mile -- totally generic. That doesn't make you 'wrong' though and you have written a nice piece.

I liked their Amber PH fragrance, and the 'intense' version even more so, but I wasn't impressed with this one when I sampled it. I may give it another try though as a result of this thread.

Great writing kaizer121 !

I do enjoy very very much Infusion d'Homme and Amber.

I have to say Luna Rossa did not particularly impress me when I checked it , BUT...

I never tried it on my skin, so I will do it next time I see it...
    Last edited by LJD; 29th April 2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: User name misspelling .

Though LR was really boring but need to do a full wearing to see if it changes on skin.

I wonder what Prada does to make their frags last so long. I can smell Amber and Infusion all day, which is very rare for me. Especially for "fresh" frags.
    Last edited by heperd; 29th April 2013 at 07:42 PM.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    Great writing kaizer121 !

I do enjoy very very much Infusion d'Homme and Amber.

I have to say Luna Rossa did not particularly impress me when I checked it , BUT...

I never tried it on my skin, so I will do it next time I see it...
    Glad you like it Kaizer121 but I am of the same opinion as LJD.
    The worst Prada male scent I have come across. I don't know why they discontinued Infusion D'Homme which I thought was a very nicely understated scent, this just comes overto me as dry and like something you would spray in the kitchen.

Banned
    Blog Entries

have not tried it but i love amber. great fresh/clean barbershop scent.

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    You can pencil me into the fan category. However, I would prefer it to have less resemblance to Infusion d'homme.
    My thoughts exactly. I think I may prefer LR over Infusion d'Homme.

Yes, Luna Rossa!

I've enjoyed all the male Prada fragrances. Luna Rossa is no exception. Great review!
    Current Favorites - Creed Green Irish Tweed, Costume National Homme, Hanae Mori HiM EDP, Chanel Platinum Egoiste

Prada's men's fragrances are great. They are very identifiable, without ever smelling trashy, cloying or sweet, like many others out there. They're always classy. Luna Rossa smells a little on the synthetic side for me, but it's still excellent. Prada's fragrances don't get the love they deserve I think. In a world of 100s of revolting fragrances, they remain incredibly elegant and refined.

I appreciate all the feedback my little rant has gotten. It's making me consider doing similar reviews for some of the other frags I have that don't get as much (positive) attention as I think they deserve.

treeman5823

Never tried it. Never saw it. Oh well.

Wasn't a fan of Infusion D'Homme, but I ordered a few samples to test out Luna Rossa. Update: Gave it a few wearings and don't care for it at all. There's something about the mint combined with the orange that makes it smell like baby aspirins. Nasty.
    Last edited by silentrich; 5th May 2013 at 01:46 AM.

Kaizer121,

Following your passionate post, I tried Luna Rossa on skin this time...

And I have to say it's sooo much better than on the paper ! That mint is very refreshing, and even though it's very present it's masterfully blended and works wonderfully with the citrus notes and the other actors as well... and I can understand how this frag is one of your favorite for the season and the coming summer...

So now, I have to confess I am tempted to show Prada more Love ... Perhaps Luna Rossa could be invited to join my Infusion d'Homme and Amber...

Don't know if I should thank you or hate you for that Kaizer121 ?

Not of fan of Prada frags but Luna Rossa is the best of them.

I sniffed Luna Rossa and wrote it off. It did nothing for me at all - but I never tried it on skin. And since I do enjoy Infusion d'Homme, I guess I should give it another shot sometime.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam