Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Norma Kamali Incense

this stuff is so extreme I am calling it the monster that needs to be kept in the basement. it's more like CdG Tar or SMN Marecialla than any of the CdG Incenses, think le labo patchouli only much more extreme: fearful perfume power. the reviews on MUA are more colorful than the ones here "a bonfire with tires thrown in" and "I am surprised that this doesn't have any sulfur and/or rotting flesh/leather notes. If it did have those notes this would be exactly what I imagine hell smells like. This isn't Church insence, this is hell's flames." it's defnitely dangerous and for me probably never to be worn alone without layering, but it's really good for adding some kick to other things. . .

Default Re: Norma Kamali Incense

Wow, this has been on my "to try" list for quite a while. I think this will push me to try it out now ASAP. It sounds really good, hope it doesn't disappoint.

There is nothing like this anywhere and I mean nothing. I rarely, if ever, wear it on its own. But the times I've tried layering it, even the smallest amount overpowered anything I tried.

All that said, I love this monster.

Regards,
    Steve

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

The image I always get when I wear Incense, is one of being trapped in a wood closet, the doors shut, with some burning, ash-y incense. I also think it reminds me of the smell of crushed nut shells - you know when you crack whole nuts and you have to peel the shell and all of those inner pieces of resinous woods between the pieces of nut inside - that smell.

I love layering it with white whimpy florals. It pretty much eats those scents for lunch and really all you can smell is the Incense with the florals toned down way underneath.

I think it was Pluran who mentioned that this scent after a while becomes too tenacious and prominent, you almost wish it would go away. That's why I can only apply a small drop or two when I wear it. DO NOT SPRAY this one on guys.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd June 2008 at 04:33 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what Luca has to say about this one.

Giorgio Armani's Incense in His Prive Line is a strong Incense fragrance but very nice....the way that You explain this makes Armani's Prive sound tame.
    Gary

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

it is indeed. and I know my 100 ml bottle will last more than my lifetime, even 1/2 oz would probably be enough to outlast me!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Giorgio Armani's Incense in His Prive Line is a strong Incense fragrance but very nice....the way that You explain this makes Armani's Prive sound tame.
    Gary
    Bois de Encens is nice and tame in comparison to Norma Kamali. To make NK incense wearable layer with Norma Kamali Perfume.

nsamadi - get a sample of NK Perfume if you get one of incense. Delightful combo. read a little more about this practice at beautyhabit.
    Last edited by thebeck; 4th June 2008 at 01:22 AM. Reason: add verbage

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    nsamadi - get a sample of NK Perfume if you get one of incense. Delightful combo. read a little more about this practice at beautyhabit.
    Thanks, I'll take it into consideration and took a peak at BH. I'm getting a sample of NK incense soon, and I'll see how it goes. I normally like wearing a scent on its own, even if it's very linear. I'm not a huge fan of layering, but we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Thanks, I'll take it into consideration and took a peak at BH. I'm getting a sample of NK incense soon, and I'll see how it goes. I normally like wearing a scent on its own, even if it's very linear. I'm not a huge fan of layering, but we'll see.
    I never layer. I prefer to wear them as they come out of the bottle. This is the only exception for me because Norma Kamali Incense is so nice, but unwearable for my personal taste, I've made an exception to my non layering practice. I like 3 sprays on Incense and 1 spray of Perfume. Just that little bit changes it that much. Have fun playing around.

Post Thanks / Like

Hours after I put it on the first time, i woke up--in the dead of night--smelling smoke, thinking SMOKE! Why hasn't the smoke detector gone off?1 I threw off the covers and as I got out of bed and became more fully awake realized it was the Norma Kamali Incense.
    That said, its a fresh campfire smell that I really like. Reminds me of backpacking in the Texas Hill Country.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have read, this one is pretty much pure Copal.
    I have NK Incense and haven't worn it in a long time. It certainly
    packs a punch. It's not church incense; CdG Avignon is closer to
    that.

I tried this the other day. It basically smells like this IMO:

plus some of that liquid gas you spray on.....

I'm still getting to know it..so I don't have much of a review.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 14th June 2008 at 10:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

its sickly sweet imo ... certainly not for the faint ... in a word - gross.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

I finally got to try it and I love it. It's true and pure incense. To me, incense feels very cold unless there are other notes with it. But here, I get a little bit of boozy/leathery from it too.
    As said above, a small streak--not even a drop--will work for hours and will overpower other scents.
    I don't layer regularly either but this is perfect for it. I tried it with No. 88 last night. Fabulous. Any rose would be perfect. I'm looking forward to trying it with Black Aoud.
    Also, with Luctor et Emergo. I'm hoping it'll bring out the incense that's already in there. We'll see.
    I can see myself nursing a vial forever but really would like a bottle of this.
    It sounds like the suggested layering with NK Perfume would be wonderful but I wonder if the floral part is really too feminine. Does anyone have a good description of the florals?

I tried it a bit more recently and found the resin note (I think) to be a bit sweet as bront82 mentioned. I don't really like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I received and samples NK Incense and Perfume today. Perfume is very 'perfumey' (you could guess that), but pleasant with a floral/rosey sort of base. Incense is deep, rich, and very resinous. The liquid in both is as thick as motor oil... I sampled with little dots of liquid on my wrist. I can't imagine what a whole spray would do.

I was searching for this thread last night, but I couldn't find it using the search function. I ended up falling in love with this one. I purchased a decant.

It's a nice scent.

Anyway, the strength and oriental power of Incense by Kamali will make Serge Lutens go blush
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Post Thanks / Like

After sampling them both last night, I found Perfume to be more wearable - especially the drydown. Incense was no joke! Unbelievably strong and rich. I personally can't wear Incense - I'm not sure where I'd wear it except for around the house - but I'd consider Perfume small doses.

I haven't tried combining the two, as NK promotes. Perhaps tonight...

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I was going through my samples recently and stumbled upon this one.

WOW! This is one of the most, if not the most, powerful and intense fragrances I have ever tried. It is just the smell of pure, strong burning incense - nothing else. It puts all other incense-based fragrances to shame.

I love it!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I was going through my samples recently and stumbled upon this one.

WOW! This is one of the most, if not the most, powerful and intense fragrances I have ever tried. It is just the smell of pure, strong burning incense - nothing else. It puts all other incense-based fragrances to shame.

I love it!
    +1, it's amazing and easily one of the most intense fragrances I've ever come across. A full-scale olfactory assault.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I recently got a refill. It is intense and very well crafted. Its unfortunate that it has been discontined. Its easily as good as any incense from CdG.
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    I Its easily as good as any incense from CdG.
    I love the CdG Incense series - but this one is in a league of its own IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I love the CdG Incense series - but this one is in a league of its own IMO.
    Definitely. Because its so strong would you try to layer with something?
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely. Because its so strong would you try to layer with something?
    I like it just on its own. But I know people like to layer it - as noted in some of the above posts.

I recently got a refill. It is intense and very well crafted. Its unfortunate that it has been discontined. Its easily as good as any incense from CdG.
    It hasn't been discontinued - the Norma Kamali line is currently undergoing a packaging facelift...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    It hasn't been discontinued - the Norma Kamali line is currently undergoing a packaging facelift...
    Well thanks for good news.

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates on when this one is going to be available again?

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a sample from Petrucci. This stuff is killer. Copal and incense as loud as they can. Stunning.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

@Duke Hunt: Probably never. I've heard that they did a horrible reformulation. Better get the original on ebay as long as you can.

I got a decant of the vintage. Imo it's unwearable. But an absolute masterpiece. It doesn't smell like church incense. It smells like holiness itself!

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    Better get the original on ebay as long as you can.

I can't even remember last time I saw it on ebay

Post Thanks / Like

On parfumo we had a sharing of a vintage bottle from ebay (germany) a couple of months ago. Was very expensive (200 € or so).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I found some of the incense at a website I use quite often. Its The Posh Peasant. Nice people.
    Last edited by trex57; 7th July 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Those of you still looking for Norma Kamali Incense should seek out and try Rundholz Parfums - 03. Apr. 1968. Potent!!

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    Those of you still looking for Norma Kamali Incense should seek out and try Rundholz Parfums - 03. Apr. 1968. Potent!!
    Where is this available please? Curious where they're from?

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Curious where they're from?
    Same here.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Second article on the page:

http://www.corniche.org.uk/blog/

I received it as a sample from First-in-Fragrance.

03.Apr.1968

Post Thanks / Like

The top note is lychee? That doesn't bode well.

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a talk with my rep from Takasago materials supplier yesterday, and told me a story about when they formulated the Kamli Incense fragrance, at his previous position/company... They let her smell one particular aromatic element, which smells like incense, and is one of my favorite elements too.

And everytime they reviewed the fragrance in progress, she just kept saying, "MORE OF THAT!" :-)
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow - thanks for posting that Palm Beach.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

PalmBeach is hosting a split for some of this in Basenotes Marketplace, if anyone is interested - check it out.

So, does that mean that Norma Kamali Incense had been reformulated sometime in the past? My half-finished sample, from the Perfumed Court, is light orange in colour but this vintage juice looks dark brown.

Btw, what is the official concentration of Norma Kamali Incense? Is it an extrait?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't answer the reformulation question. I should be receiving the first bottle tomorrow. I'll post up a pic so you can see the color of the juice.

Post Thanks / Like

So, does that mean that Norma Kamali Incense had been reformulated sometime in the past? My half-finished sample, from the Perfumed Court, is light orange in colour but this vintage juice looks dark brown.
    Trebor, I saw the same difference between my sample and my vintage bottle. I also have no idea if it was ever reformulated, or whether it was just an effect of thirty years of aging.

If I may say so, though, the smell of the vintage stuff is just... incredible. I do not regret blowing the budget on my bottle, at all. Opening it was like uncapping an aged single malt. (It doesn't smell like Scotch, I hasten to add, but it had the same impact of both power and smoothness.)

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    Trebor, I saw the same difference between my sample and my vintage bottle. I also have no idea if it was ever reformulated, or whether it was just an effect of thirty years of aging.

If I may say so, though, the smell of the vintage stuff is just... incredible. I do not regret blowing the budget on my bottle, at all. Opening it was like uncapping an aged single malt. (It doesn't smell like Scotch, I hasten to add, but it had the same impact of both power and smoothness.)
    Many thanks for confirming the colour of the vintage bottle juice. So, does your sample smell different from the vintage juice? If so, how? Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Can't answer the reformulation question. I should be receiving the first bottle tomorrow. I'll post up a pic so you can see the color of the juice.
    Thanks for offering to answer my question, PalmBeach.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for confirming the colour of the vintage bottle juice. So, does your sample smell difference from the vintage juice? If so, how? Cheers.
    I'd say -- stronger, smoother, with a bit of a dry sweetness I didn't notice from the sample. (Granted, my sample was tiny, and I was dabbing. Now, despite the kind cautions of Renaissance Man, I'm spraying out of a decant into a small travel spray. Single spray only!) It's still a highly authoritative fragrance, but it seems to have fewer rough edges, a bit more subtle force. If I loved the sample, I'd say I love this even more.

(I was starting to get a cold or something, the week I decanted it, but it hadn't blossomed. My first couple wears, I couldn't stop sneezing, and I was terrified that maybe I was allergic to something in the old formula. Then I got really sick a day later and spent three days on the sofa with a fever. Not allergic. Phew!)
    Last edited by CompassRose; 21st March 2013 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    I'd say -- stronger, smoother, with a bit of a dry sweetness I didn't notice from the sample. (Granted, my sample was tiny, and I was dabbing. Now, despite the kind cautions of Renaissance Man, I'm spraying out of a decant into a small travel spray. Single spray only!) It's still a highly authoritative fragrance, but it seems to have fewer rough edges, a bit more subtle force. If I loved the sample, I'd say I love this even more.

(I was starting to get a cold or something, the week I decanted it, but it hadn't blossomed. My first couple wears, I couldn't stop sneezing, and I was terrified that maybe I was allergic to something in the old formula. Then I got really sick a day later and spent three days on the sofa with a fever. Not allergic. Phew!)
    That's great to hear. When I saw this limited edition batch termed as 'Vintage 1982', there were only two possible conclusions - your explanation confirming the first one and the second being dubious marketing. It's good to hear that it was the former.

So, nobody knows the concentration?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Trebor, it for sure smelled aged. Not spoiled -- but I think that's what made me immediately make the association with Scotch.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Trebor, just confirmed with the SA from Norma Kamali, it is an EDP.

They also found some old bottles of Beach which they are sending me a sample with the second bottle today.

Trebor, just confirmed with the SA from Norma Kamali, it is an EDP.
    At the price they're currently selling it for, it should be a bloody extrait! LOL!

Cheers.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

At the price they're currently selling it for, it should be a bloody extrait! LOL!

Cheers.
    I hear you, but supply and demand rules the world.

It may be an EDP, but remember, this is a 1982 EDP, which is much different than what an EDP some 31 years later.

I hear you, but supply and demand rules the world.

It may be an EDP, but remember, this is a 1982 EDP, which is much different than what an EDP some 31 years later.
    I hear ya!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw, what is the official concentration of Norma Kamali Incense? Is it an extrait?
    I have seen a bottle of vintage juice, from a BN buddy who has a full bottle. The color of the juice is exactly as pictured above.

-- Jack Kerouac

She needs to bring this one back, it was sooo good, easily one of the best incense masterpieces.

^^ Cool! Thanks, PalmBeach!

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Trebor, here are pictures as promised.

where's the clapping hands smiley when i need it??????