Code of Conduct

Default Voleur de Roses - sweetness and plum ?

Hey, guys!

I've been reading about L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses but I've found so many opposite opinions on this one.
    Some say it has a candy-sweet quality. Others say there's no sweetness at all.

The questions that beg to be asked:

1) Is it sweet or is it not?

2) In your opinion, is this a try or a pass for me? *

* I love rose as long as it's not on the feminine side. I love earthy fragrances. I don't normally like plum and I don't normally like sweet fragrances (slightly is fine).

PS1: Probably all fragrances are "try" but that means a lot of money, time, even hassle...
    PS2: I like Rose 31, Noir de Noir, Lumiere Noire and Black Aoud. I don't like Cartier d'un Soir or Lyric Man

Thanks!

Default Re: Voleur de Roses - sweetness and plum ?

1) not sweet to me.
    2) IMO a try

Its fresh crisp rose on top and slightly sweet patchouli and rose combo on drydown (more patchouli than rose). I like it and would wear it during spring and summer months occassionaly. I dont smell much (if any) plum there.

Compared to Black Aoud, VDR is freshier, brighter.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Sounds like you have not sampled it and are thinking of blind buying it? I would not do that with this fragrance.

I would not consider VdR a "sweet" scent at all. To me, it is a "dirty rose" and definitely "earthy". It's almost a fungal smell initially. It's more of a damp, dark dirt than it is rose, although rose certainly comes through later on. You need to love patchouli to wear it as it opens with a rather harsh patchouli note. It is so strong it comes close to being off-putting and I come close to thinking it's not for me. But as time goes by it mellows and it turns into an excellent scent with good longevity.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...emons-Batucada

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

it smells fragrant, not sweet) my favorite scent for rainy days
    Last edited by mangalor; 29th April 2013 at 11:38 AM.

1/ Not sweet at all. Very earthy, smells like dirt after rain (patchouli). The plum adds a slight fruity vibe to it but it's more about the impression of a fruit than a particular fruity smell. The rose is not existed since it was stolen lol
    2/ Sample first

If we consider the rose note, it is somewhat similar to Tom Ford PF Noir de Noir.

This doesnt work on me. I only smell some kind of red wine with a patchouli dash

I hate it. Portrait of a Lady is a better option imo.

Why So Serious?

Agree that VDR is not sweet at all. Like others have said, it's very earthy, a little dirty (like mud) and very damp, it really smells like a rose garden after the rain with some patchoulli thrown in (that's probably what's causing the earthiness). Plum is there to give it a little fresh kick, but it's not sweet. Great stuff!
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Basenotes Plus

It is definitely worth a try and I would agree with the dirty rose post above. I did not find it sweet. To me it was quite enjoyable although not very logevous.

Nothing sweet in it and to me is just a patchouli scent. The rose is very weak in this scent. I like rose scents but this isn't one of them.

it's a "dark" Declaration d'un Soir-Cartier ( or Declaration d'un Soir- Cartier is a "bright" Voleur de Roses )

I have a sample. I didn't like the topnotes, I thought they were too weird. I don't like it.

Don't buy it, please.

Uhm... at least this time there has been no divergent opinions on its sweetness.

It doesn't sound, however, like it's very versatile. Maybe it's weird like Dzongkha and Timbuktu. Some love them, some hate them.

jasonx: Do you like it?
    Makassar: That's helpful. I basically don't like Declaration d'Un Soir because it smells too soapy (kind of cheap and synthetic rose) to me. Would you say VdR shares this quality?
    DanielPlainview: Guru (!), can't we just hold our breath for 2 minutes and find something pleasant later on?

Could someone compare its patchouli to some other perfume?

Basenotes Plus

I think Voleur de Roses would be perfect for the current weather (in the northern hemisphere). It's certainly not weird as the other L'Artisan offerings you mention.

It's a straightforward rose-patchouli combo that brings petrichor to mind (at least to me).

Dont like it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Duver View Post
    Ulrich Lang -Nightscape comes to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Duver View Post
    jasonx: Do you like it?
    It's the only patchouli centered fragrance that I like (aside from Angel/A*Men in which the chocolate helps taming down the patchouli)
    The patchouli used in VdR smells very similar to the one used in Thierry Mugler Ice Men

i do like it . It's less soapy than Declaration d'un Soir , it's thicker and darker , with the patchouli there's a king of note that reminds me a wet soil , it's a dark rose on a wet soil , not soapy at all

Does anyone else get a rum-hitting-your-nose in the top notes? There's also something like wine in here. Like those roses started to go from rotting to fermenting. The sweeter aspects of patchouli and rose start peaking out later, but this isn't a sweet frag.
    Last edited by onaluna; 9th May 2013 at 07:39 PM.
    Don't ask me to scrute the geranium. Some things are inscrutable.

In my opinion it's not sweet at all and it's definitely an earthy fragrance. Like a rose that's been lying in the wet earth for some time...

I tried it but I don't really like it. It's not a bad fragrance, just not for me.

I like this scent, but the problem is my skin is pretty dry and eats up fragrances. VdR doesn't work too well with me as a result, but if I had skin where most scents projected and lasted, I would probably really like VdR.

It brings to mind an old, secret rose garden, hidden away and forgotten by the world - the scent of rich, dark soil littered with fallen rose petals.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

I agree with most of the posts above. It has an earthy and damp feel to it. It starts out a big wet rose but as it dries down the rose kind of fades and the earthy patchouli grows in strength. The plum should be very faint. If the plum is prominent, you might have a bad bottle (this happened to me once). I like VdR a lot.

It's not synthetically sweetened. It has the natural sweetness you get from a rose. It's one of the better rose fragrances out there honestly, and different because it's not doing the almighty fad of mixing rose and oud, rather rose and patchouli. I generally don't like patchouli in fragrances, but this combination is very well done. I think it's definitley unisex, especially more so when it dries down. Really good stuff, one of the better ones from L'artisan.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)