Code of Conduct

Hybrid View

Default If you had to pick one to be a true signature what would it be?

Ive made a few threads, done research, bought a bunch of samples including niche's and have concluded that I enjoy the house of Dior. I want a signature scent, something I hope I wont get board of (That part is on me). I will be on a hot humid beach all summer, and my winter will be blizzardy in WI.
    I am between: Dior Homme and Dior Homme Sport (Considered sampling Intense, but Im not that picky). I love the complexity Homme brings, but also adore the simplicity of the Sport. Which one would be able to fit year round? even if it is better in one season.

I want to have a scent that people know is me. I know I will get sucked into this hobby if i spend too much time on Basenotes, so I want to find a signature and get outa here =P (Or ill be 10 bottles deep)

I am also 19 in college.

Edit: Should I look into DHI for the winter? Might Chose 2 scents..

Edit: Do certain notes become more prominent during certain seasons? or do they just complement the surroundings/situation? I don't get a strong "powder/make-up" note on my skin. but would hate if that showed up in certain seasons...(Or maybe i do get it an enjoy it idk?)
    Last edited by Long Boarder; 29th April 2013 at 06:07 AM.

Default Re: If you had to pick one to be a true signature what would it be?

"hot humid beach all summer, and my winter will be blizzardy in WI"

I would choose Dior Homme I think it's the most versatile of all the Dior Homme line.

DHS- Spring/Summer
    DHI- Fall/Winter
    DH- Year round

Not that notes are more prominent in certain seasons but some are just do better in certain seasons. Gourmands=fall/winter, citrus and aquatics =spring/summer.

Very true, so test both the dior's, pick the one u like better & close the thread b4 u r thrown other fragrances that u werent looking to even sample --->>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Boarder View Post
    I know I will get sucked into this hobby if i spend too much time on Basenotes, so I want to find a signature and get outa here =P (Or ill be 10 bottles deep)

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Very true, so test both the dior's, pick the one u like better & close the thread b4 u r thrown other fragrances that u werent looking to even sample --->>>
    Lol this is funny cuz I sure was gonna recommend Hanae Mori HM but he seemed pretty specific with the two he wanted to choose from.

I still love Homme, but am conflicted if I should sample Intense or not before I decide what I want as my cold weather one.
    Is Intense something that can be worn all day every day?
    I'm not the one to ask. I've sampled them both, but I finally got around to buying samples of both (from decantshop.com) so I can do a left-arm/right-arm comparison. I'll hopefully get around to that soon... probably the week after next.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that Dior Homme is what you want. Dior Homme Intense probably is more geared toward special occasions, but frankly, the two are quite similar.

Honestly, here's the advice you really need. FIND SOMETHING yOU LOVE. Nothing matters more than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    Lol this is funny cuz I sure was gonna recommend Hanae Mori HM but he seemed pretty specific with the two he wanted to choose from.
    THIS!!! Hanae Mori HM can be had for as little as $30, and it's outstanding. Especially on a date.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I want a signature scent, something I hope I wont get board of (That part is on me). I will be on a hot humid beach all summer, and my winter will be blizzardy in WI.
    I am between: Dior Homme and Dior Homme Sport (Considered sampling Intense, but Im not that picky). I love the complexity Homme brings, but also adore the simplicity of the Sport. Which one would be able to fit year round? even if it is better in one season.
    A few thoughts.

#1: basenotes is a forum that has a LOT of members who collect fragrances. We end up with a ton of scents. Using myself as an example, I have around 25 bottles plus another 50 samples, and that's a tiny collection compared to many people here. I'm often selling bottles that I don't wear often, and I end up buying more. I love the variety. HOWEVER... years ago, I only wore one scent, and I got tons of compliments from women about how I smelled.

For dating I think it's actually REALLY smart to have a signature scent you always wear. It gives dates something to remember you by, especially after a second date... or, let's say a woman meets you in class and notices how you smell. If she smells the same thing on your first date together, it gets planted firmly in her mind. A signature scent can really be a powerful thing. I wish I could stick to just one... but I'm addicted to sampling and variety. If you're not, that's probably a good thing!

Do certain notes become more prominent during certain seasons? or do they just complement the surroundings/situation? I don't get a strong "powder/make-up" note on my skin. but would hate if that showed up in certain seasons...(Or maybe i do get it an enjoy it idk?)
    Think of it like food. Ever notice how you eat different food at different time of the year? Pot roast in winter, hot dogs in summer. Hot chocolate in winter. Lemonade in summer. Sense of smell isn't that different than your other senses. In summer, lighter/fresher scents don't just smell better... they feel better. Dior Homme Sport, for example. But in the winter, something heavier will be more desirable. Dior Homme, for example. Those two are perfect for a two scent wardrobe.

Sure, you could spend a ton of money collecting. It's a heck of a lot of fun! And it's crazy expensive. I don't regret it, but I do wish that, when I was your age, I knew some of what I know now. If I did, I'd have owned a heavy scent for winter, and something fresh for summer. And that sounds like what you're doing, so... you're on the right track. Thumbs up!!!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    A few thoughts.

#1: basenotes is a forum that has a LOT of members who collect fragrances. We end up with a ton of scents. Using myself as an example, I have around 25 bottles plus another 50 samples, and that's a tiny collection compared to many people here. I'm often selling bottles that I don't wear often, and I end up buying more. I love the variety. HOWEVER... years ago, I only wore one scent, and I got tons of compliments from women about how I smelled.

For dating I think it's actually REALLY smart to have a signature scent you always wear. It gives dates something to remember you by, especially after a second date... or, let's say a woman meets you in class and notices how you smell. If she smells the same thing on your first date together, it gets planted firmly in her mind. A signature scent can really be a powerful thing. I wish I could stick to just one... but I'm addicted to sampling and variety. If you're not, that's probably a good thing!

Think of it like food. Ever notice how you eat different food at different time of the year? Pot roast in winter, hot dogs in summer. Hot chocolate in winter. Lemonade in summer. Sense of smell isn't that different than your other senses. In summer, lighter/fresher scents don't just smell better... they feel better. Dior Homme Sport, for example. But in the winter, something heavier will be more desirable. Dior Homme, for example. Those two are perfect for a two scent wardrobe.

Sure, you could spend a ton of money collecting. It's a heck of a lot of fun! And it's crazy expensive. I don't regret it, but I do wish that, when I was your age, I knew some of what I know now. If I did, I'd have owned a heavy scent for winter, and something fresh for summer. And that sounds like what you're doing, so... you're on the right track. Thumbs up!!!
    Yeah I like the sound of that. One for the summer one for the winter. Thanks you have been a lot of help, ive noticed you responding to a few of my threads =D

I still love Homme, but am conflicted if I should sample Intense or not before I decide what I want as my cold weather one.
    Is Intense something that can be worn all day every day?

I think choosing a single signature scent from those two you mentioned is not suitable as they're not all year round, but if I'm obliged to I'd choose Dior Homme.
    To me the best Dior scent is DHI and the best signature Dior frag is Fahrenheit.
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

I could work with just the Dior Homme line; between DH, DHI, DHS & DHC I feel all seasons, situations and scenarios are covered and if ya' shop around you could get a bottle of each for less than a bottle of say, Tom Ford. If you're lookin' to get in and get out, Dior Homme is your roundtrip ticket.

I wouldn't recommend DH or DHI as a signature scent that would be worn frequently (and certainly not daily). It's just too polarizing. I would save that one for occasionally wearing at night, on dates, clubbing, etc. And I wouldn't have both DH and DHI, if I were you. You're trying to limit colognes, so if you decide to buy more, buy something totally unlike what you already have that will give you better options for any/all occasions.

I know you're trying to limit colognes, and that's wise and admirable, but I don't think expanding to 3 or 4 would be an extravagant thing. For a signature scent, if you like DHS, that would be fine, but I'd recommend another good all-around, versatile cologne as well....something like a Gucci Pour Homme II or Green Irish Tweed that can be worn for any occasion and will pretty much be universally liked.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Personally don't have a "signature" scent but in the OP's case, I think Dior Homme would be fine.

Dior Homme Intense is my signature, but you will have to determine your own. Depends on what you like.

I really think you'd do quite well with Dior Homme for cooler/colder weather & Dior Homme Sport for warmer/hotter if you wanted to stick to just 2.

Thanks guys. I think ill buy Sport right now, and wait till like late August to get into Homme/Intense. I wish I could get into this the way you guys do, but alas im a broke college kid =D
    Last edited by Long Boarder; 29th April 2013 at 11:05 PM.

I want to have a scent that people know is me. I know I will get sucked into this hobby if i spend too much time on Basenotes, so I want to find a signature and get outa here

I do have a signature, Hammam Bouquet, and it did not prevent me from investing in 100 other full bottles of perfume.

I'll narrow it to 4.

Winter - Tobacco Vanille
    Spring - Invasion Barbare
    Summer - L'Humaniste
    Fall- Dior Homme Intense
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Solid choices!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    I'll narrow it to 4.

Winter - Tobacco Vanille
    Spring - Invasion Barbare
    Summer - L'Humaniste
    Fall- Dior Homme Intense

Your goal is admirable (to get out of here before your finances implode), but you can't get away with just two scents wearing one per season unless you impose tight discipline on your self and only apply the same amount of sprays every day.

This is because you'd wind up suffering from olfactory block - after four days you won't be able to smell your scent anywhere near as well as others. Then you start adding more on to get the same effect as you used to, meanwhile others are really associating you with that scent because you reek of it. Best to rotate and have say a "signature" scent for groups of people you meet, and another totally different "signature" for work.
    Regards,
    Renato

There is a difference between how collector and average person view fragrance. Most people don't care to smell different everyday, so two or three is more than enough.

To them, fragrances are purely functional.

The idea of a signature scent for someone that wears that scent maybe once a month is silly. Who, other than yourself associate you with that scent?

Instead just call it your favorite scent. There is nothing signature about it if its not identifiable to you by other people.

Did Michael Jordan decide what his signature dunk is or did he perform a dunk so many times that people eventually identified him with that dunk...

Id wear DHI all year long.

Can I have 3?

Please?

Silver Mountain Water for work, Dior Homme Intense for dates, Green Irish Tweed for everything else and in between
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

If I would have to choose a signature fragrance it would be Armani Eau pour Homme.

I Could imagine wearing DHI as part of a larger rotation and enjoy this fragrance, but somewhat it would personally not suit me as a signatures scent (yet, as part of a more or less extensive selection, far more likely so).

Dior Homme Sport 2012 because of the added subtle iris, this one makes more sense for year round wear. Dior is solid though...my favorite house.

I think having up to four signatures is a great idea.

My signatures would probably be Millesime Imperial and Chergui.

Nobody can recommend a signature for you -- it's an organic decision you yourself must make.

But if DH or DHI was your signature, I think you're way ahead of the game and will smell fantastic year round. Just be aware that the beauty of DH and DHI (to me) really shine in colder weather, so I'd pair them with a lighter warmer weather scent. You can easily wear DH and DHI in the Summer; it's just a question of preference.

For a warmer weather scent, someone mentioned L'Humaniste. Fine choice, for a scent that gets little attention. Others would be a neroli (pick any one), a lemony (like Eau d'Hadrien or Bois de Cedrat), or an orange (like Concentre d'Orange Verte).

Personally, I'd recommend MI for a warmer weather scent, but if that's too pricey I'd go with one of the Hermes orange scents. Paired with DH or DHI, that's a perfect combination.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I think a signature scent defies seasons because it's the only one (as a signature) that you believe presents you to others in fragrance form. Others may disagree and say you can have more than one, but it's not really a signature any longer. My 'signature' scent is Profumum Roma's Arso which I can imagine being very heavy in the summer, but I'll still wear it.

appreciate it guys! I gona try and get a sample of DHI when i get a chance as I haven't smelled it yet. 3.4 oz of DHS on its way =D