Code of Conduct

Hybrid View

Default Primordial Scents 2012 by Perfume Pharmer

Hey guys! It's been so long since I've posted properly on here.
    Hope everyone is keeping well.

WELL! Ok so Perfume Pharmer (Monica) created a project last year where she contact a load of indie perfumers and invited them to make a fragrance that fitted into an elemental cateogry (Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Spirit)... ok so it sounds a little weird I know - but anyway, I got the entire collection of samples and really wasn't sure what I'd make of them prior to sampling. Well, I've written about three of the collections so far, and no joke - they have literally blown me away. I haven't had this much fun sampling in a long time and have discovered some incredible talent I didn't even know existed. I thought I'd post this now having not written about them all yet becuase there's a lot of stuff to read for anyone interested, and I'd love to hear if anyone else has any experience with these?

Here's the link to more info about the project:

http://perfumepharmer.com/organic-pe...l-scents-2012/

Here's the links to the categories I've written about so far:

FIRE

EARTH

SPIRIT

And just a couple heads up on some of the best things I've ever smelt...

"Durango by perfumer Shelley Waddington of EnVoyage Perfumes
    Possible the best salty/aquatic fragrance ever… absolutely awesome.

Wow!! Love love love.
    A heavily salty, seaweed/driftwood scent, overloaded with abstract herbal notes that remind me of a toned down Dirty by Gorilla Perfume: sage being the most dominant. Just a touch of muted citrus freshens the fragrance and a bundle of woody notes underneath add marine, vegetal and dry notes and textures.
    Ok so there’s tons of marine fragrances out there, but I love this because it’s so literal. It reminds me a little of Mr.Hulot’s Holiday by CB I Hate Perfume, although that one practically doesn’t exist on the skin – this has a little more complexity with the herbal notes, without being as sharp and intense as Tirrencio by Profumi Del Forte (fennel).

Still, Durango is probably the perfect marine scent - the balance is exceptional, the scent is beautiful and literal, the saltiness is intense and accurate… I need this in my life and on my skin right now :’) It transports me to when I was in New Zealand, and sniffing this for too long makes me well up a little bit – absolutely beautiful. This also reminds me of the salty/marine accord in Dans Tes Bras by Frederic Malle only with less violet – infact, I find these two fragrances quite similar – I love that because my mum wears and adores the Malle so it reminds me of her
    What I love is that although the fragrance seems to be all about the sea, it’s paired with this beautiful dried grass/earth scent that brings to mind Turtle Vetiver Front by Les Nez - ok so it’s not that heavy on the vetiver, but they both have this “scorched earth” smell, it’s much more subtle here though. It has this vast space to it whilst still being dense enough and powerful enough to always be present on the skin and in the air around you. Can’t even explain how perfect this is…"

Flor Azteca by Juan Perez of The Ezotic Island Perfumer
    OMG IT’S AMAZING!!!!!!

Arhghghg I love this already! Heavy tuberose, heavy methyl benzoate (strong, medicinal feijoa-like aroma – natural quality of the tuberose a la Tubereuse Criminelle… but stronger!) – a bucket load of creamy white floral petals a top a hair-colourant-like astringency: almost nose burning! Holy shit am I getting chocolate now?! Oh sweet Jesus kill me now – you are fucking delicious.

Ok, calm down… Chocolate white florals! ARGHGHGHGHG. This is amaze-balls no joke. Ok, calm down. So… Tuberose - all out tuberose. But there’s more florals under there, and spice! But not chilli thank God – it smells warm, like a nutmeg, or a ginger – it reminds me of the mace of Vero Profumo’s Onda. The hair-dye smell begins to disappear and the lactonic vibe of the florals and cocoa comes out more so – narcotic, fleshy – absolutely perfect.

Underneath is more creamy goodness, vanilla, benzoin, tonka - everything vanilla, but there are woods and earth and a salty, vetiver-like smell. There’s a fungal quality to it like mushroom – but it smells more floral, like the decayed indolic side to the tuberose – or an absolutely spot-on gardenia accord. It’s absolutely dizzying and without a doubt the best… I think I was about to type “The Best White Floral I’ve ever smelt”… I may have to leave it in quotations as a thought… make of it what you will – I don’t want to get ahead of myself here…

Anything challenging and high-pitched (the raw tuberose, similar to Bolt Of Lightning by Jar, in the opening) vanishes as it begins to settle – the gourmand notes rounding out the tuberose into something so awesome I’m pretty lost for words on what to write any more. Cannot tell you how much I need this in my life.

Default Re: Primordial Scents 2012 by Perfume Pharmer

Thanks for your observations and links.

Thanks for the link.

Interesting Link. Thank you!