Code of Conduct

Default Need a summer evening perfume

I have worn only 3 fragrances in my life - Detchema ( It was the 60s and I was about 10 when my grandparents brought me a twisty pine cone shaped bottle of it in a velvet pouch from Paris. ) , Imprevu ( high school) and Chanel No 5 for the past 40 years. I once bought a bottle of Boucheron but the drydown on me was icky- like the disinfectant used in public bathrooms.
    I have recently decided that I'd like to try something new. I am looking for something I can wear on a summer evening when my Chanel might be too much. Up until now I have just worn it anyway or skipped fragrance since I tend to be a " special occasion" wearer of scent rather than an every day wearer.
    I think I tend to like heavier perfumes tho I use them very sparingly. I put one teeny little dab of it on my neck and that is it. I don't like anything that is in your face or announces my arrival. I don't want to give you ( or me!) a headache. I want you to be about a foot or less away from me before you notice it.
    My evening perfume goal is to smell sexy, glamourous and a bit mysterious. I am older so I don't want anything girly.
    What should I test drive at the perfume counters?

Default Re: Need a summer evening perfume

I'd recommend Volutes by Diptyque

treeman5823

Bandit, (vintage) Jolie Madame, Onda by Vero Profumo, Knize Ten, L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer Perfumes, old Diorella, Cristalle, Mitsouko, Chamade, Sous le Vent, Attrape Cours, Vetiver Pour Elle (!), 31 Rue Cambon, Sycamore, Cuir de Russie, Jicky, Timbuktu, Private Collection (Estee Lauder), Azuree, Aromatics Elixir, Knowing, Le Maroc Pour Elle, Chinatown, Broadway Nite, Patchouli 24, 100% Love (S Perfumes), Shalimar, Amouage Gold for women, Jubilation 25, Apres l'Ondee (if you can find it), Noontide Petals, Odalisque, Le Temps de Une Fete...you must try them all! Do it! And there are so, so, so many more.

Chanel Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Chanel Coromandel
    Agree with this choice. Sounds just what the OP might be looking for.

Mona di orio vetyvier
    Eight and Bob

Blog Entries

Welcome to basenotes, JulieD!

lt sounds like you need to sample some classic Guerlains; Shalimar, Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Vol de Nuit & possibly Samsara.

Happy sniffing, & do report back with your thoughts!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Try some of the Chanel Exclusifs line - 1932 and 31 rue Cambon in particular, but I would sample the whole line.

Thank you so much for all of these suggestions. I am going to print them and start looking/ sniffing this weekend.

I did something yesterday which is a bit out of character for me- I ordered a sample of a fragrance that I have never smelled. It is called Hedonist by Viktoria Minya. Something about the reviews I read and a recommendation from someone I know ( online) who has tried a sample just made me say," Oh, what the heck! I am going to try this."

I also ordered a decant and 2 minis of vintage Detchema because I used to really like it. I hope I still do.

I guess my perfume journey has begun.

Arpege, Lanvin
    Bois des Iles, Chanel
    Caleche, Hermes
    Antelope, Weil
    Madame Rochas, Rochas
    Miss Dior, Dior
    Anne Klein
    Aire Loewe, Loewe
    Ivoire, Balmain
    K de Krizia, Krizia
    Gucci No. 1, Gucci
    Ferre, Gianfranco Ferre

Many vintages here.

You may like the new Diorling. It is initially a bit aspirinic but it grows on you.
    Also Chance is nice, the original one.

Vintage Guerlain L'Heure Bleue - Anything before 2008 - EDT, EDP, Cologne or Perfume are all fine. If you liked Chanel 5, you will love Creed Fleurissimo. They're both closer to the skin than #5.