Code of Conduct

Thread: Longevity

Default Longevity

During a trip to Australia I purchased a Hermes tie. The employee at the Hermes store promptly tried to also sell me a bottle of Terre d'Hermes. Upon first whiff I instantly fell in love with it. I wanted to purchase it, but thanks to my tie shenanigans, I was afraid I would not have the budget for their collector edition bottle that was already overpriced thanks to the exchange rate. The employee generously have me 4 or 5 sample bottles and even 2 for my friend.

I found while using these bottles that even only with 1 to 2 sprays, I could sometimes even smell the cologne on me the next day. On top of the scent, I loved the longevity of it. After running out of the samples I bought a 3.3oz bottle of the EDT Terre d'Hermes from a perfume store.

I have found with the EDT that the longevity is not there, and is only several hours in length maximum. I assumed that I had either sampled the EDP or the pure perfume. I went in to sephora and sprayed some pure perfume on to see, and it smelled a bit different than the EDT and even the samples that I had before, so it probably wasn't the pure perfume in the sample bottles. Even with a stay of the pure perfume though, the longevity just wasn't there.

So is the EDP going to be that big of a difference from the EDT? Or have I just gotten used to the scent and it takes more and more for me to smell it? Was the bottle I got in the perfume store just not as fresh as a bottle straight from the inside of an Hermes store and would that even make a difference? And the last thing that I could think of, besides perhaps weather, was that maybe the Australian formula has more Iso E in it?

Does anyone else have any theories or any answers as to the difference? It would be greatly appreciated to reply! I've got ten Hermes vials coming in the mail and I don't want to make another mistake upon ordering!

Default Re: Longevity

Don't believe that there is a EDP. I know there is an EDT and Pure Parfum of which I have both and longevity with the parfum is much greater than the EDT.

Probably the EDT. It lasts plenty long, and performs well.

Only an Edt & a Pure Parfum version that I'm aware of. Many people claim that the EDT has been reformulated recently & is much weaker than it used to be. I can't attest to this, as I've only ever had one sample of the EDT. I can say that from my experience with that & the Pure Parfum (which I own a bottle of), the Parfum lasts quite a bit longer on my skin.

treeman5823

The Australian heat may have protracted its staying power.

Thank you all for your responses so far. There is an EDP version though, I have seen several reviews where the poster has specified that they had the EDP, and it is also available from the Hermes online store.

The sample probably was the EDT like you Gentlemen/Ladies have been saying, but why do I not get the longevity from it now?
    And yes I believe the heat could have played a role for it was an extremely humid summer in the Midwest last year (as always,) but it even had the longevity in Australia during their winter and into the winter months here.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeHermesSoWhat View Post
    Thank you all for your responses so far. There is an EDP version though, I have seen several reviews where the poster has specified that they had the EDP, and it is also available from the Hermes online store.

The sample probably was the EDT like you Gentlemen/Ladies have been saying, but why do I not get the longevity from it now?
    And yes I believe the heat could have played a role for it was an extremely humid summer in the Midwest last year (as always,) but it even had the longevity in Australia during their winter and into the winter months here.
    The reviewers you speak of were misinformed. I assure you there is no such thing as Terre d'Hermes edp.

Yes you're right, I just checked again and they for some reason call the 1.6oz an EDP, but when you click on it, it's the pure perfume. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Several possibilities: First you may have developed a 'tolerance' for the smell after several wearings, and just don't smell it now even though it is still there. Second, it may be that you did get samples of Parfum...do you have any of the empty vials to check? Longevity is a big thing for me if I spend a lot of money I want it to last. Sometimes I will put unscented lotion on first then spritz the fragrance, it really helps it last...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

TdH is one Jean Claude Elena's creation that actually lasts quite well on me...own both edt & pure parfum & love them.

I own the EdT of TdH and it easily lasts over 10 hours on my skin.

Default Longevity

Isn't there an extrait?

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Fragmeister View Post
    Isn't there an extrait?
    Yes sir.

There was a thread not long ago about longevity issues of a new bottle, don't recall what it was.
    Somebody posted that some new bottles are weak out of the gate, and after 10 or so sprays it will become a stronger more lasting fragrance.
    I don't know if there is any truth to this but maybe after a dozen or so spritzes you may start to get more longevity.
    Definately try lotion before applying scent because dry skin eats up fragrance.