Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,957

    Default New fragrance - "Allergen"

    I wish some independant perfumer would construct a fragrance using substances that are now banned or limited by the IFRA and call the scent "Allergen". Put a skull & crossbones on the front and warning labels all over the box and bottle and sell the heck out of it. Getting sick of reformulations and discontinued scents due to some European body determining what we can wear because of one or two asthmatic wimps. Enough is enough. Put some peanut oil in it too while you are at it so people with peanut allergies can feel included. And some real civet for the animal rights people. (Sorry, but this has gone far enough...)
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense


    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    !

  2. #2

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    Hehe - a few still use these things (but haven't personally seen any with skulls & crossbones).
    But have actually seen warning labels here, in addition to ingredient lists.

  3. #3

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    I get your point!
    Tired of these hypocrit European Union bureaucrats as well. And the role played by IFRA on this banning obsession is a somewhat ambiguous too...

  4. #4
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,718

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    ........(Sorry, but this has gone far enough...)
    Good that people are finally understanding, or giving a shit, but the best thing to do is write to the fragrance companies. I sure as hell do.

  5. #5
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East of The Mississippi
    Posts
    76,912

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    The whole thing doesn't bother me as much as others but I can sympathize.

  6. #6

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    I did do a spoof one called Death by Oakmoss ages ago....

  7. #7

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I did do a spoof one called Death by Oakmoss ages ago....

  8. #8

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    Found the thread here. Lots of good info about independent perfumers on it.

  9. #9

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Found the thread here. Lots of good info about independent perfumers on it.
    Very interesting thread ideed! Thanks for the tip Mumsy!
    If you don't mind the question, what happened to Death by Oakmoss, did you have some feedbacks?
    The name is really funny and... scary

  10. #10

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    As much as i agree with the OP, I think it's a dilemma. I love to wear perfume, but if my son is allergic, I sure don't to constantly worry about him suddenly passing out at some public place because of someone's perfume.

    What to do? Perhaps let perfume wearers know that they can wear whatever they want as long as they know that they're the ones who will be liable for any incidents? Perhaps put a limit on the number of sprays? I don't know. But I know that simply banning ingredients is not the way to go because, theoretically, people can be allergic to any ingredient, so the list of banned ingredients will likely grow bigger all the time.

    JC

  11. #11

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Perhaps let perfume wearers know that they can wear whatever they want as long as they know that they're the ones who will be liable for any incidents? Perhaps put a limit on the number of sprays? I don't know. But I know that simply banning ingredients is not the way to go because, theoretically, people can be allergic to any ingredient, so the list of banned ingredients will likely grow bigger all the time.

    JC
    How would one pinpoint the 'source' to hold them liable? How would you be able to tell how many sprays had really been applied? This is all getting very 1984...

    Whilst it would be great for fragrances to remain intact and unaltered, I can imagine that suffering from an allergy is a very uncomfortable thing and potentially frightening dependent on the severity. As someone who suffers from hayfever periodically, I can partially understand the reasons behind reformulations on 'health' grounds.

    However, with the technology and incredible chemistry today, you would think it possible to make substitutes for these ingredients that smell identical without the apparent danger that the natural one presents. That would surely keep everyone happy?

  12. #12

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    How would one pinpoint the 'source' to hold them liable? How would you be able to tell how many sprays had really been applied?
    That's why I'm not sure this is a good solution.

    Whilst it would be great for fragrances to remain intact and unaltered, I can imagine that suffering from an allergy is a very uncomfortable thing and potentially frightening dependent on the severity. As someone who suffers from hayfever periodically, I can partially understand the reasons behind reformulations on 'health' grounds.
    An asthmatic attack is not the biggest fear, actually, since most asthmatics carry their inhalers along all the time and can ward off the attack as they leave the place with the offending perfume. I worry more about full blown anaphylactic shocks which do happen from perfume. The victim would pass out before they can reach for their inhalers. That's why many hospitals completely forbid their staff from wearing perfume on the job.

    However, with the technology and incredible chemistry today, you would think it possible to make substitutes for these ingredients that smell identical without the apparent danger that the natural one presents. That would surely keep everyone happy?
    That would be nice, although even synthetics can precipitate allergic reactions. In fact, the number of scent molecules, synthetic or not, that no one can ever be allergic to is pretty small.

    It's a sad reality. Still, I think there's a smarter way of dealing with it than these reflexive bans. They need to bring a panel of experts together and scratch their brains a little bit.

  13. #13

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    I feel your pain Akahina.

  14. #14

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    So much confusion about the 26 Allergens. As far as I am aware the allergic response isn't asthma it is contact dermatitis. IFRA and the EU are concerned with the sensitising effect. I have never heard of any regulation aimed at helping asthma sufferers.

  15. #15
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,957

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    So much confusion about the 26 Allergens. As far as I am aware the allergic response isn't asthma it is contact dermatitis. IFRA and the EU are concerned with the sensitising effect. I have never heard of any regulation aimed at helping asthma sufferers.
    Exactly. Contact dermatitus is a main concern, and outright toxicity. Now none of us want to use cancer causing fragrances (!) but getting a red spot where a fragrance is sprayed on one out of a thousand users should tell the user not to wear the stuff. Cigarettes are sold and cause cancer. I can smoke but I can't spray oakmoss. Something is very wrong in Denmark. (An old saying and no offense to Danes.)
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense


    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    !

  16. #16

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    The point I constantly make is there is less research on the new chemicals than there is on the old. Just mark the ingredient as an allergen and let the client decide. By all means stop using it in a new frag if you like but don't change the old and wonderful frags and call it the same name when it quite plainly is not the same creature.

    Quote Originally Posted by Letitbenose View Post
    If you don't mind the question, what happened to Death by Oakmoss, did you have some feedbacks?
    The name is really funny and... scary
    I didn't make very much and had a few people say they liked it. It was a classic, old fashioned, old school chypre and the name was just a joke. It wasn't really a scary frag any more than they are considered dangerous goods now. I will see if there is any left, PM me for a drop.
    Last edited by mumsy; 1st May 2013 at 04:28 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: New fragrance - "Allergen"

    I think that there is just as much research on new chemicals, in fact I would say there is more, which is why IFRA insists on revisiting those materials (like Oakmoss) that have been used for years. Don't get me wrong, I do not like to be nannied and would much prefer to have the choice of using vintage Mitsouko if I want to; but please let's get our facts right.

    According to those who know, contact dermatitis is more than just a "red spot where a fragrance is sprayed", and those who are prone to it should be made aware of what is causing it. However, those who get it (between 1 and 3% of the population) have never died from it, unlike those allergic to peanuts. Products are still sold containing peanuts, with a warning; why can't the same be true of fragrances?

    And by the way, the quote is "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" (Hamlet Act 1, Scene 4)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 31st December 2013, 03:06 PM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 20th July 2012, 05:10 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14th July 2012, 03:04 AM
  4. A "summery" fragrance for someone who loves "wintery" fragrances
    By rem_dreams in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18th February 2009, 04:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •