Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Best scent for a public hanging?

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    That's the point. What makes humans such a cruel species is the ability to disassociate thoughts and actions from emotion. For me it is not worthwhile celebrating violence; be it mentally/imaginary or real.
    It also made us a very successful species.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    This is in poor taste. It's barbaric, even in jest.
    What's even more barbaric is the only 'developed' country that still sentences people to death. So maybe Beyond Paradise is more suitable:

That's the point. What makes humans such a cruel species is the ability to disassociate thoughts and actions from emotion. For me it is not worthwhile celebrating violence; be it mentally/imaginary or real.
    One could make an argument stating the exact opposite: it is because of emotions that cruelty is possible.

No one is celebrating violence. The whole thread is ironic. It seems as if a lot is lost in writing. The OP has created an ironic thread to mock previous posters who actually did ask for advice on which fragrance to wear to a very tasteless outing. AFAIK One of the threads that the OP is referencing had to do with the poster taking his girlfriend to a strip-club.

In case you missed it the first time:

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    What's even more barbaric is the only 'developed' country that still sentences people to death. So maybe Beyond Paradise is more suitable:

One could make an argument stating the exact opposite: it is because of emotions that cruelty is possible.

No one is celebrating violence. The whole thread is ironic. It seems as if a lot is lost in writing. The OP has created an ironic thread to mock previous posters who actually did ask for advice on which fragrance to wear to a very tasteless outing. AFAIK One of the threads that the OP is referencing had to do with the poster taking his girlfriend to a strip-club.

In case you missed it the first time:

You just can't get away from internet atheists these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    It also made us a very successful species.
    I get your point. We seem to fail using our gifts wisely.
    Besides I don't think it's very smart poisoning the ground we live on, wasting resources we depend on and developing technologies made to destroy entire landscapes. My idea of success looks different.

I don't know how to translate the well differentiated german terms Gefühl, Emotion and Empfinden (etymologically from „what is found within myself”). I was referring to the latter which I find in dictionaries poorly or fuzzily translated. I was not referring to affects, religious feelings or what ever.

For the rest of your post: thanks for explaining irony to me. This concept of humor it totally new to me.

Besides I don't think it's very smart poisoning the ground we live on, wasting resources we depend on and developing technologies made to destroy entire landscapes. My idea of success looks different.
    As someone currently writing a paper on the Vietnam War, I couldn't agree more although I would refrain from using the word 'gifts' as it has too many implications.

...For the rest of your post: thanks for explaining irony to me. This concept of humor it totally new to me.
    Now because of the lack of facial and vocal cues, I cannot tell whether or not you're being sarcastic. Well played sir.

We've only started doing these things recently and may be able to fix them in the future; or we'll terraform another planet. There's still hope :-)

Quote Originally Posted by milanman View Post
    25 sprays of 1 million. After that he'll welcome the hanging.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Fragmeister; 1st May 2013 at 06:31 PM.

...AVENTUS: A - it smells exactly like your grandma. B - the convicted is dead before the hanging

PdN New York would work splendidly.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Well, I gotta say that I didn't think that I'd even see a thread like this on Basenotes......

I'm not sure why anything surprises me anymore......!

Strip club=OK......Public execution scent??? Well, you asked. Nothing. Why associate anything good with that event?
    It's all relative. There are some here who might be highly offended by the notion of a strip club as morally offensive or for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    We are discussing a hypothetical and totally absurd situation here, not an actual event. Now, is a real hanging event barbaric? Yes, I agree. Is the OPs imagnary and totally farcical event barbaric? Not in my opinion. No more than watching someone get shot in a movie western or a cartoon character getting blown up. We should be capable of sifting the real from the imaginary.
    Totally agree with the above.

The humor is just as absurdist as if to ask, "What fragrance should Count Dracula wear?" The question is funny, macabre and provokes dark humour.
    Last edited by Primrose; 1st May 2013 at 08:00 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Overspray yourself with Musc Ravageur and the person will ask to speed up the public hanging.

Seriously, no offense meant to anyone. I am against capital punishment. As the Swiss guy guessed, the thread is a humorous response to a thread about visiting a strip club.

Basenotes Plus

Fun is legal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    This is in poor taste. It's barbaric, even in jest.
    double-facepalm1.jpg
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

My next thread will be tasteful. Um...

if i was the condemned i would use a whole 50ml bottle of Secretions Magnifique by Etat Libre d'Oranger or Ajmals AA Musk Gazelle and concentrate the fragrance mainly on my neck.............................................. ...

if i was in the crowd..........i deplore executions but i would wear something quite loud and beautiful Homage by Amouage so that the last thing the comdemned smells is something gorgeous and serene before they go through the void. anything to give some solice if such a thing were possible in such a dreadful situation.

bengay!

Quote Originally Posted by Fragmeister View Post
    My next thread will be tasteful. Um...
    I am glad that you are getting granny out of the house. Maybe you can take her to the "Burning Man" festival or one of the multi-day music festivals. I am sure the bingo night or quilting bee would be boring for both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieGee View Post
    bengay!
    Are you? Wow!
    Well done for coming out of the closet. I commend you for doing it so publicly. You are brave........Well done !

De Profundis - Serge Lutens

thanks for explaining irony to me. This concept of humor it totally new to me.
    LOL, at least you seem to have a handle on sarcasm.

Or were you being serious and this is why the stereotype of Germans not having a sense of humour is perpetuated...

J/K Most of the Germans I have met had a great sense of humour. Very dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    LOL, at least you seem to have a handle on sarcasm.

Or were you being serious and this is why the stereotype of Germans not having a sense of humour is perpetuated...

J/K Most of the Germans I have met had a great sense of humour. Very dry.
    Germans don't have a sense of humour! That's not a stereotype! We just sit around bad-tempered, eat Weißwurst with Sauerkraut and drink Weizenbier the whole day! At least that's what we do here in Bavaria and Bavaria is very representative for the rest of Germany!

this is the weirdest thread now

I'm pro capital punishment (and thus terribly barbaric). Just thought I should point that out :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    Germans don't have a sense of humour! That's not a stereotype! We just sit around bad-tempered, eat Weißwurst with Sauerkraut and drink Weizenbier the whole day! At least that's what we do here in Bavaria and Bavaria is very representative for the rest of Germany!
    Don't forget the lederhosen and moustaches!

Since everyone thinks this thread is so barbaric, Invasion Barbare.

To all the naysayers of hanging.. Remember, hanging is the punishment with the least carbon footprint. Its cheap, made with all-natural fibers, and its reusable!!

I think there is an even more barbaric punishment than execution: telling someone someone they must live the rest of their lives in a drab environment, left to fend for themselves amongst criminals, and no fragrances

Don't forget the lederhosen and moustaches!
    How could I forget it! Of course Lederhosen, Dirndl, Oktoberfest, Neuschwanstein, etc.

And btw I made a mistake: True Bavarians eat their Weißwurst not with Sauerkraut but with Brezn and siassm Senf.

We drink a lot of beer anyway! An interesting fact for all you alcoholics out there: Beer is not considered as "alcohol" in Bavaria!
    Last edited by hoschhti; 3rd May 2013 at 08:34 AM.