Code of Conduct

Default Lost for what to buy :\

For the first time ever in my fragrance journey, i've no idea what to buy or if I even want to buy anything! I've been see-sawing on Andy Tauer's l'Air du Desert Marocain but having read love-hate reviews on it, i'm not sure if I could find enough occasions to wear it to justify buying a bottle. Besides that, i'm tempted by Dior Homme Sport 2012 but im not convinced by its longevity and projection. I'm also tempted to buy a bunch of samples from LuckyScent too.

Anyone else been in the same situation and what did you do to get around it?
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

Default Re: Lost for what to buy :\

Keep sampling?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Keep sampling?
    Yeah, don't buy something for the sake of buying it. I could never encourage reckless spending!

(though if you're looking for DHS Mervin, I have one on sale elsewhere, slightly used...)

Thankfully never had a problem choosing what to buy.

I'll suggest you keep enjoying your present collection.

In my case...I'd go with your gut. Make a purchase...the worst that can happen is that you break even or make a swap here for something you want. Sometimes you can even sell for a profit on eBay if you're not satisfied with it.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

Buy L'air du Desert Marocain, you won't regret it!

Or just take your time and sample, eventually something will jump out at you.

Banned
    Blog Entries

samples. sampleall of them and then decide

If you haven't sampled any of them, don't buy any of them.

Sample until you find something you just have to have!

Own and love both LDDM and DHS (both versions).

LDDM does get limited wear, but when I do wear it, I love it! So, I found it to be a worthwhile purchase.

DHS - I actually get very good longevity from both of these for a summer fragrance.

But, if you don't love them, keep sampling - read reviews, look for notes you like. A handful of new samples every few weeks will keep the journey alive.

Buy nothing and enjoy your current collection. If you are not sure, then the answer is no. Order a few samples if you see something that piques your interest, but I would not buy a bottle unless I was sure I wanted it.

Buy the samples. Or give one of the more popular Montales a try from lilydirect, they're about 30% off there. Black Aoud is probably in my top 3 scents of all time and I got that blind. Then again it took me a solid day's wearing to warm up to it.

Yeah, like most members have suggested, sample.

Just to throw my experience with DHS 2012 into the ring...it's probably one of my longest lasting summer fragrances & while it's not a projection beast, I'd say it's above average. One of my warm weather favorites for sure...very refreshing, yet classy at the same time!

Back on topic, though...I'm currently in the same position, not really having any particular interest in buying something new at the moment. It's ok, at least for me, as my bank account could use the break, haha. It's also kind of nice being happy with what I currently have & just focusing on enjoying them vs. focusing on finding the next best thing. I'm sure I'll come across something I want to add soon enough, but I'll let it find me instead of trying so hard to find "it".

Live your life!

Blind buy something on impulse.

for swap/sale:

Someone agrees...sometimes I find sampling a waste of $10 that I could put toward a fragrance. Considering if you don't like your blind buy it's not that difficult to recoup the cost or swap the fragrance. When I blind buy I always check reviews and pick notes that I enjoy first, I never buy just to buy. Go with your gut.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Live your life!

Blind buy something on impulse.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

I like L'air du Desert Marocain a lot
    Had a full bottle but I sold as I wasn't wearing it

Just grabbed a new, boxed, unused 75ml bottle of vintage Davidoff Cool Water. I already have Cool Water and have a large decant of Green Irish Tweed on the way but I couldn't resist seeing if the vintage Cool Water is any better than the current formulation.
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Just to throw my experience with DHS 2012 into the ring...it's probably one of my longest lasting summer fragrances & while it's not a projection beast, I'd say it's above average. One of my warm weather favorites for sure...very refreshing, yet classy at the same time!

Back on topic, though...I'm currently in the same position, not really having any particular interest in buying something new at the moment. It's ok, at least for me, as my bank account could use the break, haha. It's also kind of nice being happy with what I currently have & just focusing on enjoying them vs. focusing on finding the next best thing. I'm sure I'll come across something I want to add soon enough, but I'll let it find me instead of trying so hard to find "it".
    Wise words.
    Sometimes things do indeed come to you when you're not expecting them...

just blind-buy L'aDDM, you won't regret it

life's too short to care what other reviews it negatively

Just do it!
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Snag that DHS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cosgrove View Post
    don't buy something for the sake of buying it
    This

Can't go wrong with LDDM - but it ASAP, I own it and love it, grt scent, with excellent projection & longevity - even on my dry skin!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Buy L'air du Desert Marocain, you won't regret it!
    This! I bought a bottle a week or two ago and love it.

I've never met someone who doesn't like Pure Malt. FYI, Desert Marocain is a great smell, but very difficult to wear in any occassion.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    I'll suggest you keep enjoying your present collection.
    This. In the times when I cant decide what to buy, I start to re-evaluate my current collection and see if my opinions have changed on anything I currently own. Take some time to enjoy what you already have, otherwise whats the point in owning it?

I don't understand what makes LDDM difficult to wear. I've worn it in lots of different circumstances (work, vacation, just hanging around at home) and it's been fine. I think the question is will you LIKE it enough to wear it and enjoy it.

Just buy a haul of samples. That's what I recently did. I view samples as insurance. Insurance to not blind buy an expensive fragrance and end up hating it. Sampling is the best & smartest way to go. Sample sample sample.

If you don't want to buy anything, don't! I feel that at times we get caught up in the thrill of a new fragrance when we have unused "favorites" sitting on the shelf. If nothing catches your eye at the moment, just spend some time relearning some neglected fragrances or get some samples. Definitely don't buy a bottle just for the sake of it.