So I just got my hands on a bottle of Shalimar EDP, and I'm genuinely liking it somewhat to my surprise. I've always kind of liked vanilla as a scent and I think Shalimar actually does a more masculine take on the note than most contemporary men's frags.

I noticed the strangest thing though. With the exception of the opening, Shalimar smells remarkably like Tom Ford Noir. I suppose it's actually the other way around but still. They both have that thick, kind of spicy, powdery vanilla note that permeates throughout. The Shalimar feels somewhat better rounded, and is certainly more complex than the admittedly linear TF, but Noir is softer, and a bit better suited to the nighttime.

I wonder if anybody else has noticed this similarity? I feel that Noir is a touch more masculine, but I might be biased by the marketing for these two frags. I've always thought Noir was a bit underrated, and now that I find it's so similar to (one might even call it a modern, albeit toned down take on) such an enduring classic I want to hear others' opinions, on both Shalimar and TF Noir