Code of Conduct

Default Tokyo Milk (WOW..!)

Hey BNers,

today i received my samples for Tokyo Milk's dark line from theperfumedcourt.com.

the notes in the fragrances are really unique and they got my interest, i gotta say i'm really impressed.
    gonna give you guys a brief review on all of them:

Arsenic - absinthe, vanilla salt, cut greens and crushed fennel

this one smells really boozy, bitter and fresh, has some kind of a grapefruity-ish smell.

Bittersweet - cake flour, dark cacao bean, osmanthus and bronzed musk

this one is chocolate heaven, smells just like a chocolate cake batter.. it's really dark and musky. When it dries down it has a chocolatey sweet flowery scent.

Bulletproof - smoked tea, coconut milk, crushed cedar and ebony woods

this one opens up with a milky sweet smokey scent, with a teeny tiny bit of woodiness and greenness.

Crushed - earth, moss, crushed herbs, wild grass and jasmine

Salty dark fresh scent, reminds me a little bit of Bulgari Aqua Marine, except much darker with and greener.

Everything & Nothing - sweet orange, pressed petals, desert moss and tea leaves

A sweet sour fresh scent, you get the tea leaves as soon as you smell it!

Excess - amber resin, oak bark, blood orange and patchouli

A unique thick amber patchouli with a sweet blood orange hint, amazing scent! reminds me a liiiiiiiittle bit of Theirry Mugler's Alien.

La Vie La Mort - white tuberose, cardamom, hibiscus leaf and jasmine

Beautiful beautiful scent, flowery fresh powdery scent... it smells really comforting with a hit of cleanliness. Smells classic.

Tainted Love - dark vanilla bean, orchid, white tea and sandalwood

Sweet flowery musky scent, nothing special.

Now my favorite ones are: Bittersweet, Excess, La Vie La Mort and bulletproof.
    All the perfumes stay close to the skin and they smell really nice. Didn't find any of them synthetic or artificial.

An awesome experience with Tokyo Milk if you guys get the chance to smell them you won't regret it!

Default Re: Tokyo Milk (WOW..!)

I've had three bottles of Tokyo Milk for a couple of years - Excess and Tainted Love from their dark line, and Dead Sexy from their regular line.

I find them nice, and the price is definitely right, but your point about them lying close to the skin is bang on the money - they don't project the way I expected them to. The marketing is just so ominous, and the short, sturdy poison-style bottles looked like they should contain something so potent that even removing the cap should be done with care.
    I find the vanilla in Tainted Love to be a little synthetic (it's got that plastic smell I get from a lot of vanillas) but the soft woods in it make it a very nice wearing fragrance. I also thought the patch in Excess to be a tad astringent/metallic at the start, but once it settles down, the woods in this really make it shine.

Dead Sexy is a damn good fragrance, too, if you get the chance to test it. Talk about a compliment getter!
    It lists similar notes to Tainted Love, but the two are very different - the vanilla is much softer, and the florals a little more prominent with a lovely, almost honeyed wooden base. I just wish it were stronger, but I think its levity is part of its appeal. Who knows, perhaps Tainted Love was a darker and stronger reinterpretation of Dead Sexy. I prefer the lighter juice.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I've had three bottles of Tokyo Milk for a couple of years - Excess and Tainted Love from their dark line, and Dead Sexy from their regular line.

I find them nice, and the price is definitely right, but your point about them lying close to the skin is bang on the money - they don't project the way I expected them to. The marketing is just so ominous, and the short, sturdy poison-style bottles looked like they should contain something so potent that even removing the cap should be done with care.
    I find the vanilla in Tainted Love to be a little synthetic (it's got that plastic smell I get from a lot of vanillas) but the soft woods in it make it a very nice wearing fragrance. I also thought the patch in Excess to be a tad astringent/metallic at the start, but once it settles down, the woods in this really make it shine.

Dead Sexy is a damn good fragrance, too, if you get the chance to test it. Talk about a compliment getter!
    It lists similar notes to Tainted Love, but the two are very different - the vanilla is much softer, and the florals a little more prominent with a lovely, almost honeyed wooden base. I just wish it were stronger, but I think its levity is part of its appeal. Who knows, perhaps Tainted Love was a darker and stronger reinterpretation of Dead Sexy. I prefer the lighter juice.
    Yes the bottles look really damn good!
    I wish they were stronger too but i think they are meant to be personal fragrances for some reason.
    I'll check out their other line as soon as i can!

Own and thoroughly enjoy both Bulletproof and Arsenic. This past Christmas my daughter bought me a bottle of Crushed, and it's going to make a really nice Springtime frag.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    Own and thoroughly enjoy both Bulletproof and Arsenic. This past Christmas my daughter bought me a bottle of Crushed, and it's going to make a really nice Springtime frag.
    Thread resurrected! Just came across Tokyo Milk for the first time and liked both Bulletproof and Arsenic as well. This was only on paper but since it was Sephora I got samples of each to try out. I hope they last and project better than others have said in this thread. High hopes!

Bulletproof's a fun one, for sure. Dead Sexy's also good

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    Thread resurrected! Just came across Tokyo Milk for the first time and liked both Bulletproof and Arsenic as well. This was only on paper but since it was Sephora I got samples of each to try out. I hope they last and project better than others have said in this thread. High hopes!
    Wore Arsenic today and it's a no go for me. There is something overtly cheap smelling about it, which I guess makes sense since it's pretty cheap. Will give Bulletproof a wear soon and hope I fare better with it.

Arsenic is *ghastly*

In a shocking way or unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Arsenic is *ghastly*

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Arsenic is *ghastly*
    I can't disagree. It was so different smelling on the strip but really flattened out and just became blah on my skin. I had high hopes because I love Nasomatto Absinth and wanted them to be similar but these fragrances are in different galaxies in terms of quality. Absolutely no comparison.

Default Tokyo Milk (WOW..!)

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    In a shocking way or unpleasant.
    I haven't smelled it for some time, but from I recall, it's a hideous chocolatey patchouli thing. I have some somewhere, but I do remember it being one of the worst.

The line's cheap, but it's kind of fun -- there's a lot more available on the website than the dark line, but I'd say Bulletproof is the best. It's not great, but it's fun and at least interesting. Smoky coconutt-y tea, essentially.

Edit: I think I'm mixing Arsenic and Bittersweet up, but I distinctly remember both being horrid (whichever one was the unsweetened chocolate one is satanically nasty). There's a green, mossy one that's all right (Excess?) and the tuberose one (Tainted Love) is okay if you can handle being smothered by synthy vanilla.
    Last edited by deadidol; 24th February 2014 at 05:17 AM.

I gave a friend a bottle of Everything & Nothing, and she loved it. Very inoffensive bright citrus.