Code of Conduct

Default "PACO RABANNE POUR HOMME": the Early days (1973-1981).

Ladies and Gentlemen!
    We found some bottles of an old perfumery masterpiece in incredible, pristine conditions, and now here's to you....

PACO RABANNE POUR HOMME, First Version (1973-1981).

A Masterpiece by Jean Martel !!

Top Notes: Rosemary, Sage, Rosewood, Laurel
    Middle Notes: Lavender, Geranium
    Base Notes: Oakmoss, Honey, Tonka Bean, Musk, Amber

One of the most extraordinary "honey" male scents!

Here it is in "FIRST VERSION" (1973-1981), easily recognizable by the "metallic logo" on the bottle.

on the left: two bottles year 1973,
    on the right: a bottle circa 1977

You can easily see the "Estimate sign" on the right bottle (adopted since 1976)
    When you can not see this symbol, it means "before 1976")
    IMPORTANT: any indication about "eau de toilette" is missing.

First production bottles (before 1976) had no lettering on the back.

Another difference other the Estimation symbol, is "90 degrees" on the older bottles, and "90 percent" on the newer.

Batch codes are on the internal side

Important: white lettering on the bottle and the METALLIC LOGO.

A picture with flash shows better the metallic logo

the logo is "glued" onto the bottle

DIFFERENCES in lettering between an early bottle (90°) and a later one (90%vol)

Boxes are very simple and sober

Last edited by Andrè Moreau; 1st May 2013 at 08:05 AM.

Default Re: "PACO RABANNE POUR HOMME": the Early days (1973-1981).

The first was the best IMO and lucky to have it in my collection.

Hi Andrè,

Great acquisition,

I' m hunting this gem...

Major Congrats!

I was first introduced to it in early 1982, I wonder if it was this formulation..

Nice. Congrats on that find.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Great fragrance to own. I remember it from the 80's. Great memories come to mind.

I got 30ml of first formulation and it's a real masterpiece!
    I also have a 50 ml of second formula which is already pretty different but still very good (late 80's).
    Current (soapy) stuff is not to be compared or whatsoever with vintage. It's like comparing real vintage Kouros with newest while shoulders L'Oreal bottling. You are lucky to have these bottles Andre! Cherish them as it won't get any better! (nice thread again!)
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Excellent. Thanks. Paco Rabanne pour Homme has had many minor variations in packaging over the years. Among other things, the older juice has a more plush, more natural, oozing from the pores feel.

Great fragrance.
    Last edited by pluran; 30th April 2013 at 10:09 PM.

Andre,

these threads that you do with many pictures and information on vintage classics are fantastic. Thanks for sharing and for taking what seems to be a lot of time to put this out in public - we all benefit from your great work.

I'm sure ericrico will be around here very soon. He loves vintage Paco.

Thanks again.

Basenotes Plus

Wonderful, no...beautiful thread, Andre.

As if on cue, Paul...

Yes - my favorite masculine scent of all time, Vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. Great pictures and articulation of the early, Original Vintage bottles!

I do want to make one small, but important correction. The base note is actually, "Honeyed Tobacco". It is very articulate in the dry down with the warm tonka bean (coumarin) and amber. It blends with the rich oakmoss perfectly, and the deep musk helps it breathe.

Cheers to all my friends in this thread!

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I don't know how to link a video on an ipad but here's my best attempt. Anyway, Paco was the coin of the realm at this place.

Thanks so much Andre for this great tribute to PACO RABANNE POUR HOMME, First Version (1973-1981) I have been on a vintage Paco kick of late and this thread really hit the spot.

Thanks for the thread. Paco Rabanne was my signature fragrance for many moons starting in the mid 70's. I scored a few boxed spray bottles about 2 years ago that I thought were from the early to mid 80's (note price was $34.00). Can anyone more accurately date my bottles? The fragrance is wonderfully intact and extremely powerful. A little goes a long way. There is a 4 digit batch code embossed on the top of the box, 8B06. Thanks, Martin

Last edited by Jazznpool; 22nd February 2014 at 11:25 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Hello Jazznpool -

These are bottles of what I refer to as "Newer" Vintage Paco Rabanne - from the 80's, correct. I have bottles similar today.

The giveaway is the beveled "Pr" logo in the glass on the bottle. It should be raised print on the box as well. But, this is a specific bottling I have owned previously. The specific date, not sure. Around the Mid-80's, to be more accurate...I would say as well (that is when the marketing changed that showed these bottles - including a print ad I saw from 1984 with the beveled glass "Pr" logo). I have splash bottles and spray bottles from this era of the Eau de Toilette, as well as After Shaves. It is wonderfully rich and wears brilliantly.

Actually, I recommend to people interested in Vintage Paco Rabanne to look at bottles from this era as they are often fresher and more consistent (instead of 32-40 years old, one can find bottles from the mid-80's to 90's). The articulation of notes did change slightly from Original Vintage, but not much (bottle age and condition of the scent is more important). The reformulation did not change the composition - the base notes are incredible in this juice and even bottles with muted/faded or 'dried' top notes still wear very well. The dry down is very rich and the oakmoss is fully intact. If one really wants the 'green' notes on top - a simple solution is to layer recent After Shave - either splash it on or decant some into an atomizer. I don't have the latest formulation with the huge "Pr" logo that barely fits on the bottle, but the one prior with the logo embossed onto the glass (flat, not beveled). The After Shave of that wears very well, has great fresh top notes and goes wonderful with this juice - if one so desires.

The bottom line, jazznpool, is that you have great Vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme in these bottles - enjoy it!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    Thanks for the thread. Paco Rabanne was my signature fragrance for many moons starting in the mid 70's. I scored a few boxed spray bottles about 2 years ago that I thought were from the early to mid 80's (note price was $34.00). Can anyone more accurately date my bottles? The fragrance is wonderfully intact and extremely powerful. A little goes a long way. There is a 4 digit batch code embossed on the top of the box. Thanks, Martin

“Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Thanks for sharing an extensive, carefully documented and stunningly beautiful and informative photographed report about a timeless classic. I intersected with the earliest vintage formulations of this scent in the past and it was a great experience.

In a few words:
    if you want to try the real stuff, search for a bottle with "metallic logo" or with "beveled glass";
    more, if you can choose, prefer the "spray" ones.

....and thank you very much to all, for compliments

thank you all for this informative thread and amazing pictures!
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Wow!!! Paco Rabanne was one of the first frags i bought, around 1976-77. Those bottles bring very fond memories. thanks, Andre.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Thanks for sharing.

I think I owned a bottle or two in the mid 90s.

for swap/sale:

Thanks so much for sharing the photos and, more importantly, your knowledge of these vintage bottles!

I have begun collecting vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, as it is the only fragrance that I like to wear. I have done some research and I would like to create a definitive timeline of different bottles, hopefully pinned down to specific years. There are several excellent threads on this topic, but there is no definitive timeline as far as I know.

In order to get some specific dates, I contacted Paco Rabanne and attached these images....

1.jpg
    02.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG

Here was the one line reply that I eventually received: Thank you for your email about Paco Rabanne pour Homme Eau de Toilette. Indeed this was launched in 1973 and the packaging changed in 1986, then again in 1995 and finally in 2010. These are roughly the dates.

I don't think they were particularly interested in helping, and I am not sure if the information they gave is perfectly correct. But as a guide, I think it's a good starting point for these 4 editions.

For easier reference I'll refer to each of these as 1st Edition, 2nd Edition etc. This will help to avoid any confusion, as many people simply use the terms 'vintage' and modern'.

So, I have a few questions that I hope you guys will be able to answer!

Firstly, to Andrè....it was very interesting that you explained how the bottles with 90% are newer than those with 90°. But I found something contradicting your dates, and I was hoping you could clarify this for me. I came across an advert on Ebay which features a bottle of the 1st edition with 90° on it. The seller of the advert states that it was taken out of a 1978 magazine. Here is the link for that item. . I was wondering if the seller might have made a mistake, because you mentioned that the cut off for this change was 1976. Also, you dated the first edition to be 1973-1981. Was 1981 the time when they removed the metal logo from the bottles?

I am wondering if the period 1981-1986 is the time that the bottle had the raised glass under the logo. Here is a comparison of the bottle I mean:
    $T2eC16NHJHwFG18iRQU5BSLkHCC,gg~~60_58.JPG
    Raised glass under the logo. Definitely after 1st edition. 1981-1986?

01.JPG
    Flat logo on bottle, and note smaller logo on box. Definitely before 3rd edition. 1986-1995?

I think this means that we have 5 distinct packaging versions then? It would be great if anyone can help to nail down specific dates, or mention any other changes to the packaging over the years.

Thanks again for the great thread!!

Martin

Update: I have come across another distinct packing design, in another thread, which I think slots between my 2nd and 3rd edition photos.
    New.jpg
    Similar to 2nd Edition, but with a green box instead of brown. The bottle has a smaller logo, and both the logo and lettering appear higher. This is almost identical to the later 4th Edition, which has a more emerald-green box, and uses a lighter coloured glass in the bottle. Any idea of dates?

Here is the revised list in chronological order

01.jpg
    1st Edition - Metal logo, rounded 'r' in logo - earlier bottles use ° instead of % and do not have the estimate sign.

02.jpg
    2nd Edition - Raised glass under Pr logo. After this edition, logo and text is always the same colour on the bottle, but here the text is both black and white. Both black logo, and white logo versions exist for this edition.

01.JPG
    3rd Edition - Flat logo on bottle. Smaller logo on box.

04.jpg
    4th Edition - Change of box colour from brown to light blue. Smaller logo on box and bottle. Higher logo/lettering on bottle.

05.jpg
    5th Edition - Similar to 4th edition, but with dark emerald-green box. Bottle uses lighter coloured glass.

06.JPG
    6th Edition - Easily spotted with huge Pr logo on box and bottle. Formualtion has completely departed from anything like the earlier versions!

Now we just need to pin down some dates!
    Last edited by Martin_UK; 21st February 2014 at 08:42 AM.

I have a vintage 8 oz. bottle unused and it smells IMO like the day it was made. I know of a small shop that has a 1000 ml bottle that is empty but still has the scent when opened & whiffed. Too bad they won't sell me the empty bottle. I use it now & then from a smaller vintage bottle. Ironically, I have an older sister pushing 60 and she goes "weak in the knees" when she smells it on me.

The BIG question in my mind is, just how much vintage does ericrico have??!!

Hi all, my compliments for the great effort in clarifying PRpH discussion!
    Agree with the metallic logo bottle: dates should be moved forward at least until year 1985. So, "metallic logo bottles" should be dated 1973-1985.
    I read, too (lost in the pile of my papers), a "relaunch" happened during year 2002: I wonder if it could de related to the bright green box (the so-called 5th edition)
    Raiders of the Lost Scent: Journey in the Realm of Lost Perfumes
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.it.

Thank you, very nice frag!
    I´m happy to own a 90 g atomiseur of the first formulation. :-)

Last edited by easyfish; 21st February 2014 at 08:49 AM.

CIMG5027.jpg

Here's one that I have. Mine is a bit strange, because it's the only bottle I've ever seen that has 92° instead of the usual 90° for Eau de Toilette. Unfortuantely this particular bottle has not kept very well - I bought it without a box, and I think it has seen a lot of sunlight.

Current dating estimates:

1st Edition 1973-1985
    2nd Edition 1985-????
    3rd Edition ????-1995
    4th Edition 1995-2002
    5th Edition 2002-2010
    6th Edition 2010-Present

Dates in bold are known for certain!
    Last edited by Martin_UK; 21st February 2014 at 08:59 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Hey Boge -

I have a decant or two left...

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Boge View Post
    I have a vintage 8 oz. bottle unused and it smells IMO like the day it was made. I know of a small shop that has a 1000 ml bottle that is empty but still has the scent when opened & whiffed. Too bad they won't sell me the empty bottle. I use it now & then from a smaller vintage bottle. Ironically, I have an older sister pushing 60 and she goes "weak in the knees" when she smells it on me.

The BIG question in my mind is, just how much vintage does ericrico have??!!

Basenotes Plus

Hey Martin -

Yes, that is a bit of an anomaly. Maybe Andre knows something...?

I have a very similar 90ml Atomiseur bottle, but with a bit more writing on it - %, etc. It says 'Eau de Toilette" above 'paco rabanne'. Incredible aroma. All the early stuff is brilliant, if cared for properly. But, the specifics on this bottle may be worthless as it doesn't smell as it should. Sorry to hear that.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_UK View Post
    CIMG5027.jpg

Here's one that I have. Mine is a bit strange, because it's the only bottle I've ever seen that has 92° instead of the usual 90° for Eau de Toilette. Unfortuantely this particular bottle has not kept very well - I bought it without a box, and I think it has seen a lot of sunlight.

1st Edition 1973-1985
    2nd Edition 1985-????
    3rd Edition ????-1995
    4th Edition 1995-2002
    5th Edition 2002-2010
    6th Edition 2010-Present

CIMG5027.jpg

Here's one that I have. Mine is a bit strange, because it's the only bottle I've ever seen that has 92° instead of the usual 90° for Eau de Toilette. Unfortuantely this particular bottle has not kept very well - I bought it without a box, and I think it has seen a lot of sunlight...

An educated guess: an early precursor, i.e., the "Alpha" bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Hello gentlemen -

After going through things, I find rather similar information and the current dating estimates above are close to what I know. An advertisement came out in 1984 that depicted the 2nd Edition (with the raised/beveled glass "Pr" logo). So mid-80's is what I've always known as the general time frame, give or take a year. The 3rd Edition is a little harder to know details about. Bottles exist indeed. I, personally, have had one (years ago) and it was quite good. Not something I would personally seek out, but not one to stay away from if found at a good price. The last bottle I purchased was the 4th Edition. A 100ml spray that I savored for years and a 200ml splash that I liked to blend into wearing with older Vintage juice that had more muted top notes. Vibrant, green and full of fresh qualities, but still having a nice mossy dry down. I prized it for the top and heart notes, but it was actually rather 'complete'. I say, 'was', because all that juice is gone now...time and moments that olfactory memories. I may get another bottle from this era at some point, but for me, the older Vintage juice delivers what "Paco Rabanne Pour Homme" is to me...

Cheers,

ericrico

CIMG5027.jpg

1st Edition 1973-1985
    2nd Edition 1985-????
    3rd Edition ????-1995
    4th Edition 1995-2002
    5th Edition 2002-2010
    6th Edition 2010-Present