Code of Conduct
    Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default S.O.T.D. - Friday, 10 January, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a great day!

Eva Kant - O'Driu.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Friday, 10 January, 2014.

Good Morning! String Strong Homme - Kesling

(2887)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning, hednic - cool packaging there!

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning,

TGIF ! Acqua di Parma Colonia today. I smelt this on a passer-by just before Christmas (a very chic lady ascending from the bowels of Waterloo Tube Station) and was reminded how lovely it is to wear these sunny scents in Winter.

Also testing Feu Follet by new house Friedemodin. Awful stuff. And this from François Robert, son of Guy and great nephew (or something) of Henri. While I'm at it, let me whine about the name: Black Phoenex Alchemy Lab already did a fragrance named 'feu follet', which itself came after Roger & Gallet's (1931). It can't be that difficult to come up with something new, surely.

Have a lovely Friday, folks !

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sampling Ferrari Passion this rainy morning
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all,

I am sampling Caron - Secret Oud today.

Kiliwia the interesting thing I find with frangipanis is the slight difference in scent between different varieties. I have three types in my garden, the white with yellow centre has an almost citrus edge, pink is muskier and burgundy one as rosy berry accent.

((teardrop and shades)) hope you are both feeling better soon and medicinal whiskey (or your choice of spirit) works a treat.

ExtremeK I’m down to about half of my vial so it will last a while, in saying that I’m probably going to upsize my next bottle. Also missing Elirzj hope she is keeping warm and sane, I wonder if she is still in midst of switching over computer systems.

Experimenting with L’Heure Bleue today. Modern EdP on left hand, vintage EdT on the right.

Had after work drinks at a pub called the ‘The Lucky Shag’ (false advertising because there was not one in sight) still, a nice way to wind down. All the weeks activities are catching up with me so a quiet night in. The leather affair continues with Cuir de Russie vintage extrait working some serious voodoo magic on my skin this warm evening.

Wishing you all a wonderful Friday.

Last edited by Xscent; 10th January 2014 at 10:46 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like

In sync with Lanvin Crescendo, sweet, fruity and vintage carnation all the way from a BN buddy in Central Europe.

Dr.G -- I am frustrated and puzzled by this too -- they need to refer to friends and online acquaintances to come up with better names reflecting the intentions and target audience. Existing names can be a subject for stylistics/lexicology studies.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all,

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. Hermes Eau Des Merveilles.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Friday, 10 January, 2014.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

TGIF!

I didn't get a chance to update you all on my recent trip to Los Angeles / Palm Springs. I had a great trip. Saw my Mom & Dad. Drove down to Palm Springs on a beautiful crisp cool day. First time driving thru the 'desert'. Hotel was fantastic. Met a ton of cool people. Got a massage. Worked out. Celebrated NYears. Had awesome dinner. Shopped. And hiked in the mountains (about 8,000 feet altitude) - where I sat & meditated in the most beautiful scenery I've ever been in. Then I went to LA for a couple of days again, stayed in a tiny motel off of Hollywood Blvd and did the whole 'LA thing'. Went to Scent Bar (bought the new CdG Sugi and some Juniper Ridge Shower Gel). Went to The Abbey. Had breakfast in this little tiny and super trendy place in the Hills, called 'Urth Cafe' where I half expected celebrities to walk in. Went dancing. The flight back (Jet Blue) got cancelled after 7 hours of being delayed, so it was a big mess - I had to buy a 1 way ticket from LA to West Palm Beach and then take a train home. I was up for about 36 hours & got really stressed out on the way back. But honestly it could have been worse, I could've been stranded in LA and missed coming back to work on time. So, I have to be grateful for that.

The cold weather is sort of gone today in Miami, back to humidity and warm sunshine. Nonetheless, I felt like wearing something sweet, syrupy & boozy so I reached for my sample of:

Speakeasy by Frapin

There are elements of this that remind me of that 'shoeshine' vibe from Tom Ford Extreme. I like it. It also does that disappear/re-appear thing that some scents do, which is always intriguing.

shdesofbleu - hope your sore throat goes away. I always hate those ((bear hugs))
    tigrushka - its SO NICE to see you posting. I missed you S.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th January 2014 at 01:19 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Wierdly and resolutely floral this morning in body shop Moringa body butter and Keiko Meicheri Datura Blanche.

The yoga goes well...My 9-year old tries everything, the 7 year old only does a little and isn't good at being 'still' at all but she is quiet, we got a nice email saying the teachers love having them in class so that's an endorsement I think. The evening classes are gentle enough to do every day no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mike your trip sounds full on and fabulous, but you still made time for massage and meditation. Really, it sounds great. What a shame about your journey home though. I bet that burst your bubble.

Robin, thank you for reminding me that I have promised myself that I will join a yoga class!

Shalimar Parfum Initial for me today, a gift from my sister, for Betsy's synch.

Now, G. Have another generous squirt of your ADPC and all will be well. I'm a great believer in the power of Cologne. Or a drink. I'm a great believer in a drink........

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! It's still above zero, which has a lot people here giving a big sigh of relief.

Xscent, concerning frangipani, I've only smelled the white and pink varieties. The burgundy type sounds really nice though, I'll have to look into them. I would love to grow some in my garden, but our climate in Minnesota makes that a little difficult to say the least.

In sync this morning wearing Bois des Iles, a gift from my husband a couple of years ago. Can't imagine anyone not liking this scent, it's great anytime but it's perfect for this time of year.

Have a great day!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 10th January 2014 at 02:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in synch with Alien EDP (Mugler) - a Christmas present from my eldest son.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi all,

Thanks RHM, Kiliwia & Xscent for the feel-better wishes. l've been sneezing & sniffling today, but not feeling too bad. Mr teardrop seems to have got it too though, poor love.

Shades; hope you feel better soon, too!

Mike; sorry your vacation ended in such difficulties, but glad you had a fabulous time while you were there. lt sure sounds like the good memories should outweigh the bad.

l've been pottering around sorting out my boxes of sample vials today. l have a box of "almost-empties" that l like to keep for sniffing purposes, but haven't touched in a while. lt was like going back in time through my sampling history, with the ones at the bottom being the very first ones l tried. Ah, memories!

This afternoon l've been decanting some recently-tried samples into spray vials, & so my SOTD is a mix of incense, tobacco, woods & rose. lt's pretty not bad, actually!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello!

I am in sync with Obsession by Calvin Klein, a gift from my sister. I used to wear it obsessively in the '80s.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Mike, your trip sounds wonderful. Sorry about the return trip snafu, ugh.

SOTD is Givenchy Hot Couture.

Best to those feeling poorly and a happy Friday to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

BBW sandalwood rose oil from way back when.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A gift from my super chic Sister-in-law. Tangy, chypre lemon and cedar.
    Last edited by kumquat; 10th January 2014 at 04:26 PM.

Ambre 114

In synch today with Fendi Theorema, which a lovely and kind BNer gave me a mini of. I have the Esprit d'Ete of this, but of course this concentration is fuller in it's loveliness.

Mike, that sounds like a perfect trip to me, although hopefully the ending did not ruin the vacation relaxation.

Feel better to all with colds - I have joined your ranks this week - we shall overcome!!!

image.jpg
    What a day on my fragrant journey!
    A fragrant angel made me (wanted me to) have this - a perfect 2 oz. Le Tabac Blond, sealed with light jus, very little evaporation from the 1960s (also according to the Caron bible). I just cut the wire and opened the flacon. The extrait smells fresh as if it was bottled only years ago. I cannot express how overwhelmingly happy and touched I am.
    SotE is Le Tabac Blond. How does this 1960s extrait smell? It opens like 1/3 Knize Ten, 1/3 Nuit de Noel Extrait and 1/3 today's Tabac Blond Extrait. The Knize Ten vibe disappears fairly quickly and it more and more resembles today's version
    with a mossier, more animalic base.
    Happy Weekend all!
    PS: Should I understand why the pic is upside down?
    Last edited by Larimar; 10th January 2014 at 05:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Larimar--how wonderful about your Tabac Blond.
    Mike, I am sorry about your travel woes, but the hike sounded AWESOME!
    ExtremeK, I had exactly the same thoughts about M. When my decant ends, purchasing the 17.5 ml will be an absolute bargain, since I figure it will last years! (tenacity is at least 15 hours, with 2-3 spritzes max!)

Syncing with Rubj Edp by Vero Profumo today, a decant gift from my husband at Xmas.

Antilope, Weil. Getting a nice, big castoreum note. Teardrop, hope you feel better soon. Hugs.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

31 Rue Cambon by Chanel

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, L. ! Heartiest of congrats on your newly acquired treasure. A more worthy home it couldn't hope to find.
    Foustie - I took your advice (both pieces). Cheers to you ! I hope you'll get a chance to raise a glass this weekend.
    Jicky PdT tonight.
    Best to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Xscent - Is there really a pub near you called The Lucky Shag? Australian humour, I suppose! Love it!
    Larimar - A worthy home indeed. I can't think of anyone more deserving.

I'm joining gandhajala in Jicky PdT. I was a bit worried about the condition of this one, but recent squirts have been as fresh as a daisy. Albeit a lemon, bergamot and lavender-scented daisy.

Post Thanks / Like

^ Smelling great, twin !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Changed into 'Houbigant-Aperçu' as my 'Hippy Fizz' was fading. I love this classic sappy chypre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Frapin 1270. Have a great day everyone.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Wearing By Kilian Back to Black for the evening.

Have a great weekend, everyone! xoxo

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks, kalli!

Larimar; congrats on your newly-acquired treasure!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, everyone!

Wishing speedy recovery to Shades, Teardrop, Cello and anyone else who's sniffly/sneezy/achey/feeling blah.

Mike, what a FANTASTIC sounding trip, the return "adventures" notwithstanding! And in the long run, I bet the chaos getting home will make the trip itself seem even more magical. Here's to more good times!

And Larimar, what delicious good fortune with your Tabac Blond! You just make sure to sit right here next to me, and pay no attention to the strange lady sniffing at your neck. :smile:

I completely forgot about the Sync, but think I'm still okay, as I consider all of my fragrances gifts -- even though most of 'em are gifts to myself! I still get a tremendous amount of pleasure from every bottle and sample by thinking this way. Makes every wearing a special occasion -- Though some of the scrubbers it's hard to be happy about. Suppose those are the olfactory versions of going out for what you think will be a party and ending up getting your taxes audited.

Anyhow, today I continued my "snuggly scent" fest with Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax (yes, I have the vintage version, as it's now called just "Opoponax"). Comfort in a (perfume) bottle.

Imperial Opoponax notes: Opoponax (sweet myrrh), amber, vanilla, sandalwood, benzoin, citrus.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks, ComDiva, you smell fab! l also have a bottle of lmperial Opoponax, & it's one of my winter favourites, too. l didn't realise the name had been changed. l wonder if the scent has been changed as well?

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

They altered the Patchouli - hope not.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in synch today with SL Cuir Mauresque. It was from in sweet santa, Christmas 2010 ... still one of my very favorites!

Thank you for the well wishes ... I haven't missed any work this week, but it has been a struggle to be there. My mom gave us a Keurig coffee maker for Christmas. I don't drink coffee, but I've been using it for hot tea all week. Love the hot beverages on my sore throat. Hope everyone else is getting well or staying that way!

Mike your trip sounds wonderful (except for the travel home) ... I always love hearing about BNer's travels; it lets me live vicariously.

Happy Friday everyone!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sampling Ava Luxe Film Noir tonight
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time