Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What happend to fragrance community.

Recently got into the fragrances heavy When I look on youtube it seems the videos were very huge and made from about 2009-2011 then the community seem to have faded. What happend?

Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

The ebb and flow of fragrance enthusiasm.

creed batches ruined everything.
    ANDERSON = GOAT

Basenotes Plus

Last edited by remik; 2nd May 2013 at 03:38 AM.
    Currently wearing: Odoon by Pekji

We have Aventus, and thus reached the pinnacle of fragrance evolution.

+100. Aventussssss woooohooooooooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Falco4758 View Post
    Recently got into the fragrances heavy When I look on youtube it seems the videos were very huge and made from about 2009-2011 then the community seem to have faded. What happend?
    People come and people go. There are probably more people on YouTube making fragrance related videos now than ever before. Like this handsome chap... http://www.youtube.com/user/QWERTYOP80

Good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roblord View Post
    creed batches ruined everything.

I haven't bought anything new recently, there's nothing exciting coming out!

I'm devolving and using Brut on a daily basis.

From the OPs premise, I would conjecture that fragrance aficionados have merely become bored with YouTube. Fine fragrance sales are still strong, the mid-market range is showing some fairly strong debuts, and lo-end market still seems fairly robust.

I was about to smart off and say something like, "Yessiree sonny, things were so much better back in the old days." But I don't really think they were.

Basenotes Member

Anyone know why Hiro deleted all his videos off youtube? I went and came back from holiday to find them all gone.

It's a real shame because I really enjoyed them.

Also the excellent Pour Monsieur blog catering to men's fragrances has disappointingly and inexplicably gone dark - a real bummer!

Falco4758, You're right. In the past, I never really paid much attention. I really only listened to Youtube for music in the past, with the exception of a couple of Creed reviews I watched about how to detect fakes. However, I just went to Youtube and of the four brand new 2013 fragrances I've personally reviewed for Basenotes for the month of April. only one is reviewed on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Unadan View Post
    I'm devolving and using Brut on a daily basis.
    This

It may just be my perception, but I find there are a glut of mens frag reviewers on YT. There are even a dozen or so reviews of today's SOTD Yatagan.

I don't watch many YT frag reviewers, although I do subscribe to 860Cologne.
    He hasn't reviewed any fragrances I particularly like, but he's a good reviewer and has a pleasant voice and mannerisms.

Every time I'm slightly tempted to join the already bloated reviewer market, I realise that I'm neither articulate nor telegenic enough to appear on camera.....also I don't have a camera....and my voice is whiny and annoying

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    It may just be my perception, but I find there are a glut of mens frag reviewers on YT. There are even a dozen or so reviews of today's SOTD Yatagan.

I don't watch many YT frag reviewers, although I do subscribe to 860Cologne.
    He hasn't reviewed any fragrances I particularly like, but he's a good reviewer and has a pleasant voice and mannerisms.

Every time I'm slightly tempted to join the already bloated reviewer market, I realise that I'm neither articulate nor telegenic enough to appear on camera.....also I don't have a camera....and my voice is whiny and annoying
    You have it all wrong. The one thing we don't have is the whiny annoying reviewer. The happy upbeat positive act is already taken. The professional articulate act is taken. The pretending to be articulate but repeating the same phrases and adjectives is taken. The blue collar I bad production I hate everything is taken. Whiny and annoying isn't.

Part of it may be that there's just so many darned frags being introduced that people have thrown up their hands in despair of keeping up with them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    You have it all wrong. The one thing we don't have is the whiny annoying reviewer. The happy upbeat positive act is already taken. The professional articulate act is taken. The pretending to be articulate but repeating the same phrases and adjectives is taken. The blue collar I bad production I hate everything is taken. Whiny and annoying isn't.
    Hahaha sounds like I could be a niche reviewer of niche fragrances!

I love your post; most amusing.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Part of it may be that there's just so many darned frags being introduced that people have thrown up their hands in despair of keeping up with them all.
    I think their is a lot of truth to that.

"Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    I never liked the video reviews. And they mostly focused on top notes as well. There are some of us who are taking our time with scents, going back to them once in a while, reevaluating, thinking about a larger context, etc. If you want to know what that is like, take a look at my blog, now with well over 50 posts (none of them short entries, IIRC). I think a lot of people "burned themselves out" and jumped to conclusions about scents, rather than studying them closely over a long period of time.

As to the idea that something major happened, it may just be among the tiny percentage of extreme enthusiasts, ones who create blogs, for example, and not most people. It may in fact be that interest has expanded among those who don't do these things. It also may be that the major scent sites have enough on them now to satisfy a lot of people who 5 years ago would have created a blog on their own. It's important not to rush to judgement without really studying all the facets of the phenomenon.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st May 2013 at 05:21 AM.

Dependent

There are very few original reviewers on YouTube. It's like most of them are following the same template and that get's boring really quickly.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GSHARP View Post
    Anyone know why Hiro deleted all his videos off youtube? I went and came back from holiday to find them all gone.

He mentioned in his last clip that his new career requires him to 'not be a public figure' resulting in deleting his videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    Whiny and anoying one is hard to get a fanbase.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé
    Currently wearing: Bayolea by Penhaligon's

Here's one guy's thoughts on the same subject - the exhaustion/boredom/stagnation of the perfume community as a whole. Be warned that this guy is highly critical of basenotes. He has some valid criticisms in this regard, but the main reason I'm linking this is because of the larger picture he describes.

http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/2013/...nd-end-of.html
    Currently wearing: Black Line by Mancera

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    People come and people go. There are probably more people on YouTube making fragrance related videos now than ever before.
    This. I see much more fragrance related videos than I did a couple years ago. Seems like for every old school reviewer that leaves, 2 to 3 new reviewers pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by GSHARP View Post

As someone mentioned earlier, he deleted his videos a few weeks back. Mentioned something about his new career and how he can no longer do videos nor keep the past videos up because of it. So he said he'd delete them a few days later and he did.

One a sidenote, I really miss Marc Robes' haul videos. Too bad he said he'll no longer be doing them. It's one of the few fragrance videos I used to watch. I'm usually turned off by the long drawn out reviews.

People come and go. What i see here in basenotes is that community turned much more "nichy". I think many niche house became designer scents (of the past).

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Real life happens.

Quote Originally Posted by fragrance123 View Post
    +100. Aventussssss woooohooooooooooooooooo
    Creed pls go

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    Lol