Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 108
  1. #1

    Default What happend to fragrance community.

    Recently got into the fragrances heavy When I look on youtube it seems the videos were very huge and made from about 2009-2011 then the community seem to have faded. What happend?

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,105

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    The ebb and flow of fragrance enthusiasm.

  3. #3

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    creed batches ruined everything.
    ANDERSON = GOAT

  4. #4
    Basenotes Plus
    remik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,864

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    ...
    Last edited by remik; 2nd May 2013 at 03:38 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    We have Aventus, and thus reached the pinnacle of fragrance evolution.

  6. #6

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    +100. Aventussssss woooohooooooooooooooooo

    Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    We have Aventus, and thus reached the pinnacle of fragrance evolution.

  7. #7

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falco4758 View Post
    Recently got into the fragrances heavy When I look on youtube it seems the videos were very huge and made from about 2009-2011 then the community seem to have faded. What happend?
    People come and people go. There are probably more people on YouTube making fragrance related videos now than ever before. Like this handsome chap... http://www.youtube.com/user/QWERTYOP80

  8. #8

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roblord View Post
    creed batches ruined everything.

  9. #9

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    I haven't bought anything new recently, there's nothing exciting coming out!

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Clackamas, OR
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    I'm devolving and using Brut on a daily basis.

  11. #11

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    From the OPs premise, I would conjecture that fragrance aficionados have merely become bored with YouTube. Fine fragrance sales are still strong, the mid-market range is showing some fairly strong debuts, and lo-end market still seems fairly robust.

    I was about to smart off and say something like, "Yessiree sonny, things were so much better back in the old days." But I don't really think they were.

  12. #12

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Anyone know why Hiro deleted all his videos off youtube? I went and came back from holiday to find them all gone.

    It's a real shame because I really enjoyed them.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Clackamas, OR
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Also the excellent Pour Monsieur blog catering to men's fragrances has disappointingly and inexplicably gone dark - a real bummer!

  14. #14

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Falco4758, You're right. In the past, I never really paid much attention. I really only listened to Youtube for music in the past, with the exception of a couple of Creed reviews I watched about how to detect fakes. However, I just went to Youtube and of the four brand new 2013 fragrances I've personally reviewed for Basenotes for the month of April. only one is reviewed on Youtube.

  15. #15

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unadan View Post
    I'm devolving and using Brut on a daily basis.
    This

  16. #16

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    It may just be my perception, but I find there are a glut of mens frag reviewers on YT. There are even a dozen or so reviews of today's SOTD Yatagan.

    I don't watch many YT frag reviewers, although I do subscribe to 860Cologne.
    He hasn't reviewed any fragrances I particularly like, but he's a good reviewer and has a pleasant voice and mannerisms.

    Every time I'm slightly tempted to join the already bloated reviewer market, I realise that I'm neither articulate nor telegenic enough to appear on camera.....also I don't have a camera....and my voice is whiny and annoying

  17. #17

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    It may just be my perception, but I find there are a glut of mens frag reviewers on YT. There are even a dozen or so reviews of today's SOTD Yatagan.

    I don't watch many YT frag reviewers, although I do subscribe to 860Cologne.
    He hasn't reviewed any fragrances I particularly like, but he's a good reviewer and has a pleasant voice and mannerisms.

    Every time I'm slightly tempted to join the already bloated reviewer market, I realise that I'm neither articulate nor telegenic enough to appear on camera.....also I don't have a camera....and my voice is whiny and annoying
    You have it all wrong. The one thing we don't have is the whiny annoying reviewer. The happy upbeat positive act is already taken. The professional articulate act is taken. The pretending to be articulate but repeating the same phrases and adjectives is taken. The blue collar I bad production I hate everything is taken. Whiny and annoying isn't.

  18. #18
    Dependent Birdboy48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bend Oregon USA
    Posts
    1,104

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Part of it may be that there's just so many darned frags being introduced that people have thrown up their hands in despair of keeping up with them all.

  19. #19

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    You have it all wrong. The one thing we don't have is the whiny annoying reviewer. The happy upbeat positive act is already taken. The professional articulate act is taken. The pretending to be articulate but repeating the same phrases and adjectives is taken. The blue collar I bad production I hate everything is taken. Whiny and annoying isn't.
    Hahaha sounds like I could be a niche reviewer of niche fragrances!

    I love your post; most amusing.

  20. #20
    Basenotes Plus
    senore01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NEW YORK CITY
    Posts
    3,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Part of it may be that there's just so many darned frags being introduced that people have thrown up their hands in despair of keeping up with them all.
    I think their is a lot of truth to that.

  21. #21

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  22. #22

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Part of it may be that there's just so many darned frags being introduced that people have thrown up their hands in despair of keeping up with them all.
    I never liked the video reviews. And they mostly focused on top notes as well. There are some of us who are taking our time with scents, going back to them once in a while, reevaluating, thinking about a larger context, etc. If you want to know what that is like, take a look at my blog, now with well over 50 posts (none of them short entries, IIRC). I think a lot of people "burned themselves out" and jumped to conclusions about scents, rather than studying them closely over a long period of time.

    As to the idea that something major happened, it may just be among the tiny percentage of extreme enthusiasts, ones who create blogs, for example, and not most people. It may in fact be that interest has expanded among those who don't do these things. It also may be that the major scent sites have enough on them now to satisfy a lot of people who 5 years ago would have created a blog on their own. It's important not to rush to judgement without really studying all the facets of the phenomenon.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st May 2013 at 05:21 AM.

  23. #23

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    There are very few original reviewers on YouTube. It's like most of them are following the same template and that get's boring really quickly.

  24. #24
    Dependent Wit_Siamese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Posts
    1,794
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by GSHARP View Post
    Anyone know why Hiro deleted all his videos off youtube? I went and came back from holiday to find them all gone.

    It's a real shame because I really enjoyed them.
    He mentioned in his last clip that his new career requires him to 'not be a public figure' resulting in deleting his videos.


    Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    You have it all wrong. The one thing we don't have is the whiny annoying reviewer. The happy upbeat positive act is already taken. The professional articulate act is taken. The pretending to be articulate but repeating the same phrases and adjectives is taken. The blue collar I bad production I hate everything is taken. Whiny and annoying isn't.
    Whiny and anoying one is hard to get a fanbase.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

    -------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

  25. #25

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Here's one guy's thoughts on the same subject - the exhaustion/boredom/stagnation of the perfume community as a whole. Be warned that this guy is highly critical of basenotes. He has some valid criticisms in this regard, but the main reason I'm linking this is because of the larger picture he describes.

    http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/2013/...nd-end-of.html

  26. #26

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    People come and people go. There are probably more people on YouTube making fragrance related videos now than ever before.
    This. I see much more fragrance related videos than I did a couple years ago. Seems like for every old school reviewer that leaves, 2 to 3 new reviewers pop up.


    Quote Originally Posted by GSHARP View Post
    Anyone know why Hiro deleted all his videos off youtube? I went and came back from holiday to find them all gone.

    It's a real shame because I really enjoyed them.
    As someone mentioned earlier, he deleted his videos a few weeks back. Mentioned something about his new career and how he can no longer do videos nor keep the past videos up because of it. So he said he'd delete them a few days later and he did.

    One a sidenote, I really miss Marc Robes' haul videos. Too bad he said he'll no longer be doing them. It's one of the few fragrance videos I used to watch. I'm usually turned off by the long drawn out reviews.

  27. #27

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    People come and go. What i see here in basenotes is that community turned much more "nichy". I think many niche house became designer scents (of the past).

  28. #28
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,423

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Real life happens.

  29. #29
    Basenotes Junkie chopwet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    622

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by fragrance123 View Post
    +100. Aventussssss woooohooooooooooooooooo
    Creed pls go

  30. #30

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    We have Aventus, and thus reached the pinnacle of fragrance evolution.
    Lol

  31. #31
    Basenotes Junkie Nosebud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    588

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unadan View Post
    I'm devolving and using Brut on a daily basis.
    Haven't found a better deodorant for annihilating odor.
    *WARNING* Brut is only for real men. Boys will cry for two hours upon application.

    But to stay on topic... Aventus? Lol

  32. #32

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falco4758 View Post
    Recently got into the fragrances heavy When I look on youtube it seems the videos were very huge and made from about 2009-2011 then the community seem to have faded. What happend?
    1) Redundancy of reviews, how many reviews of Aventus, DHI, and Black Afgano can one watch? Most ground has been covered and the new reviewers are merely repeating old info without offering anything new.

    2) Internal bickering in the community

    3) Lack of ground breaking frags to fuel the hype train.

    4) Burnout of established reviewers with a significant following.

    5) Elitism such as not responding to comments unless it is from another reviewer.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

  33. #33

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by gilesjp View Post
    5) Elitism such as not responding to comments unless it is from another reviewer.
    Absolute rubbish.

  34. #34

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Real life happens.
    No truer words have been spoken in this thread.

    I think that's why Robes08 aka Marc is able to continue doing it, because his real life takes him away from reviewing for every quarter of the year. Also this keeps his fan base missing him. Over saturation isn't good on either end.

  35. #35

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    No truer words have been spoken in this thread.

    I think that's why Robes08 aka Marc is able to continue doing it, because his real life takes him away from reviewing for every quarter of the year. Also this keeps his fan base missing him. Over saturation isn't good on either end.
    As much as I enjoy being part of that community, it does bug me when reviewers refer to their subscribers as "fans". The fragrance is the star.

  36. #36

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    People come and people go. There are probably more people on YouTube making fragrance related videos now than ever before. Like this handsome chap... http://www.youtube.com/user/QWERTYOP80
    Aventus bottle as an avatar? He is brain_dead.

  37. #37

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    I have only watched 2 YouTube reviews in my life. 5 minutes of watching some guy stammer and "um... it's *sniff* *sniff* kinda like... *sniff* *sniff* pretty nice initially... and *sniff* *sniff* [looks down at notes] I am getting some bergamot too *sniff* *sniff* yeah.. and *sniff* *sniff* ummm... soft of some *sniff* *sniff* [looks back down at notes] vanilla... and *sniff*"

    I would much rather spend 1 minute reading a thought out concise review than 5 minutes watching a guy sniff his arm or sprayer and meander around the English language's filler words throwing some notes out there that he is getting... Watching a guy sniffing a sprayer like a poodle sniffing the ass of another poodle is something I can do without.

    But maybe someday I will go back and look at a few more - if so many people are spending time watching these, there must be something to it.

  38. #38

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Here's one guy's thoughts on the same subject - the exhaustion/boredom/stagnation of the perfume community as a whole. Be warned that this guy is highly critical of basenotes. He has some valid criticisms in this regard, but the main reason I'm linking this is because of the larger picture he describes.

    http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/2013/...nd-end-of.html
    I wondered what had happened to shamu1 and sherapop. Man, there is some bitterness here but very thought provoking. Thanks.

  39. #39
    Basenotes Junkie chopwet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    622

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    As much as I enjoy being part of that community, it does bug me when reviewers refer to their subscribers as "fans". The fragrance is the star.
    It's all part of the youtube generation and the inflation of the ego. People really think what they have to say is important because they now have the ability to broadcast their mumblings.

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I have only watched 2 YouTube reviews in my life. 5 minutes of watching some guy stammer and "um... it's *sniff* *sniff* kinda like... *sniff* *sniff* pretty nice initially... and *sniff* *sniff* [looks down at notes] I am getting some bergamot too *sniff* *sniff* yeah.. and *sniff* *sniff* ummm... soft of some *sniff* *sniff* [looks back down at notes] vanilla... and *sniff*"

    I would much rather spend 1 minute reading a thought out concise review than 5 minutes watching a guy sniff his arm or sprayer and meander around the English language's filler words throwing some notes out there that he is getting... Watching a guy sniffing a sprayer like a poodle sniffing the ass of another poodle is something I can do without.

    But maybe someday I will go back and look at a few more - if so many people are spending time watching these, there must be something to it.
    So true. Filler words is about all you get and qualitative adjectives that don't actually tell you anything. I love it when they read note lists of bizarre things that a guy in some New York basement has clearly never smelled in his life before. They are always good for a laugh though especially the terrible, terrible pronunciation of the French words. What makes it so funny is that the reviewer is so willing to spend $1000 on the selection of fragrances they are reviewing but they aren't willing to spend $100 on an hour long lesson on how to pronounce common words like 'l'eau'.

  40. #40

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    I've been an active reviewer on Youtube for almost 3 years now. I understand what the OP is saying. I have several things to say about the topic. For one, the market is very saturated, so it's difficult to stand out. You really have to have a unique channel to grab the attention of the community anymore. Also, yeah, there is some infighting in the community, kinda like old school vs. new reviewers kinda thing. Also, lets not forget about the impact of Facebook. Many reviewers have their own pages, and that seems to satisfy many people's need to connect to other reviewers without subjecting yourself to troll attacks and hate that can really take a toll on some of the long term committed reviewers.

  41. #41

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    I never watched any of the youtube scent reviews because I never found them helpful, and most annoyed me.

    Okay, I watched Katie Puckrik. But that's because she's so damned cute and I'm a pretty simple guy.

    A larger issue is whether the fragrance community as a whole is dying or devolving. I haven't been here long enough to know.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  42. #42

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Everyone has an opinion and some are more opinionated than others. There are various medium available to express one's opinions and to read/hear those opinions of others. To me, YT is a very inefficient means of getting to know others' opinions. ^Those reviewers on YT that think it's about them in the least and not the fragrance... well, I've never had time for that! It's not my idea of entertainment and I'm not so easily amused. Just another virtual identity with another opinion, but it's inefficient. Here, in the reviews section and given the fragrance, I can quickly come to know scores of opinions in the same time frame. That aspect was a major attraction back a few years when my enthusiasm was more at fever pitch AND I, for whatever reasons, thought there was more objectivity to this thing. Over time, I learned that that is but an impossibility with such things so subjective and so ever-changing.

    Where is that gent with all the 'scientific studies' when you might really be interested in one? Excuse me... while I whip this scientifc study out! hehe, j/k

    Oh yeah, one more thing... that guy from pygros has got one major chip on his shoulder. Maybe it's justified maybe it's not, but if I ever got myself so deep into this thing to think that way and feel I had to express myself that way publicly, well I'd hope I'd be able to push myself away from the bar, give up my seat, and find something better to do with my limited time on this ball-o-mud.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

  43. #43

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Also, there is this lose-lose situation going on. You realize that most views come from overreviewed frags like Le Male or Fahrenheit. Seems to me that most people have smelled these anyway, so it may be hard to justify reviewing them except for the sake of Youtube views. Then again, you discover some hidden gem in the niche market, and then nobody cares, unless you happen to be one of the few reviewers with about 1500 or more subs.

  44. #44

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    I hear Aventus is amazing..... Did I tell you the story of when I walked into a shop and... etc etc

  45. #45
    Basenotes Plus
    remik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,864

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    ...
    Last edited by remik; 2nd May 2013 at 03:39 AM.

  46. #46

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Also, there is this lose-lose situation going on. You realize that most views come from overreviewed frags like Le Male or Fahrenheit. Seems to me that most people have smelled these anyway, so it may be hard to justify reviewing them except for the sake of Youtube views. Then again, you discover some hidden gem in the niche market, and then nobody cares, unless you happen to be one of the few reviewers with about 1500 or more subs.
    Keep in mind, a shocking amount of views come from non-fragrance community folks doing a search. That's why many of the most common scents lead to so many views.

    If someone wanted to launch a fragrance channel on youtube, it would still be wise to review scents that have already been reviewed to death. That will lead to views. Also review niche and best-of bargains. That'll lead to fragrance community folks finding your channel.

    There's still a ton of potential for new reviewers to build a following on youtube.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  47. #47

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Keep in mind, a shocking amount of views come from non-fragrance community folks doing a search. That's why many of the most common scents lead to so many views.

    If someone wanted to launch a fragrance channel on youtube, it would still be wise to review scents that have already been reviewed to death. That will lead to views. Also review niche and best-of bargains. That'll lead to fragrance community folks finding your channel.

    There's still a ton of potential for new reviewers to build a following on youtube.
    Sounds like solid advice to me. However, it amazes me how often a new reviewer jumps right into the thick of things with rare niche reviews. I think there is pressure to impress the community by buying and reviewing expensive niche frags, even if you haven't reviewed many designers. I feel that in order to appreciate niche, you need to have the foundation of designer. How can you say, for example, how great L'Humaniste is if you haven't tried Edition Blanche or Eau Savage? So, there must be a balance on being credible and also, of being willing to retread the waters with your opinions on classics like Cool Water and Drakkar Noir.

  48. #48

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    ^Those reviewers on YT that think it's about them in the least and not the fragrance... well, I've never had time for that!
    OH MY GOD, THIS.

    I often go to youtube for advice about scents, especially when choosing samples to buy or scents to seek out while traveling. I'm not going to name names, but here's what I usually find on youtube:

    THE GUY WITH AN OPINION: He usually sprays the scent on his arm a few hours before doing the review so he's not smelling the frigging fleeting top notes while discussing the scent. He gives his opinion. He probably sprays his other arm and discusses the top notes too, but he focusses more on the heart and base. I may not agree with him, but his review is excellent. It's excellent because his review is about him giving his opinion rather than him telling me what I'm supposed to think, or what he thinks I'll think. He just gives his opinion, and that's excellent. He may seek opinions of others to include too, but his thoughts are his own. There are a few of these guys on youtube. I wish there were more. [EDIT: I shouldn't say guy since there are great women doing these too]

    THE HYPER: He just regurgitates what he's heard on other reviews. His reviews are usually nothing but rambling as he tries to look smart. There are too many of these guys on youtube.

    THE GUY WHO THINKS HE'S IMPORTANT: Holy cow, there are a few of these guys, and their reviews are rarely any good. Some of these people think they're TV stars.

    THE DEBBIE DOWNER: He seems to only review scents he doesn't like. I don't get it. And his reviews are mostly him telling viewers whether or not they'd like the scent rather than doing a review where he tells viewers what HE thinks. LOL!

    THE IDIOT: He reviews top notes but isn't smart enough to know that. He probably does first impressions videos too. First impressions are fine, but wear the scent for a while first so you're not just reviewing top notes!

    THE TALKER: This is someone who just turns on the camera and spill out thoughts on a scent he/she likes or thinks more people should know about. The Talker doesn't seem to be trying to build a following even though they've posted a bunch of reviews. Sometimes, their reviews don't even feel like reviews. They tend to turn the camera on, say hello and then talk about something they want to share. I often find these reviews just as helpful as the reviews from the more popular fragrance community channels. I actually think it's funny that these reviewers seem to have better info that the wannabe stars and hypers.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  49. #49

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    There's still a ton of potential for new reviewers to build a following on youtube.
    I'm not out to pic a fight... but what is the end game for YT critics/reviewers? Claim to some kind of fame? Is there any money involved? The opportunity to show up on The Morning Show, The Today Show, The Tonight Show, The wutever Show and bring along a handful of witty fragrances for a confused whirly drive-by bit? Or, are these the same type people that gravitate towards ANY tv camera and think it's just the beez kneez to get on the telly making a funny face? Maybe it's a generational thing here. I'm 50 and perhaps don't get it. What I do get are the slammin' sarcasm-laden lyrics of Cracker's Teen Angst running through my mind when topics like this surface...

    Cracker - Teen Angst

    I don't know what the world may need
    But I'm sure as hell that it starts with me
    And that's a wisdom
    I've laughed at

    I don't know what the world may want
    But a good stiff drink it surely don't
    So I think I'll go and fix myself a tall one

    'Cause what the world needs now
    Is a new kind of tension
    'Cause the old one just bores me to death

    'Cause what the world needs now
    Is another folk singer
    Like I need a hole in my head

    I don't know what the world may need
    But a V8 engine's a good start for me
    Think I'll drive and find a place
    To be surly

    I don't know what the world may want
    But some words of wisdom could comfort us
    Think I'll leave that up to
    Someone wiser

    'Cause what the world needs now
    Are some true words of wisdom
    Like la la la la la la la la-la

    'Cause what the world needs now
    Is another folk singer
    Like I need a hole in my head

    I don't know what the world may need
    And I never grasped your complexities
    I'd be happy just to get
    Your attention

    And I don't know what the world may want
    But your long sweet body lying next to mine
    Could certainly
    Raise my spirits

    'Cause what the world needs now
    Is a new Frank Sinatra
    So I can get you in bed

    'Cause what the world needs now
    Is another folk singer
    Like I need a hole in my head

    What the world needs now
    What the world needs now
    Is a new Frank Sinatra so I can get you in bed

    What the world needs now
    What the world needs now
    Is another folk singer like I need a hole in my head
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

  50. #50

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Sounds like solid advice to me. However, it amazes me how often a new reviewer jumps right into the thick of things with rare niche reviews. I think there is pressure to impress the community by buying and reviewing expensive niche frags, even if you haven't reviewed many designers. I feel that in order to appreciate niche, you need to have the foundation of designer. How can you say, for example, how great L'Humaniste is if you haven't tried Edition Blanche or Eau Savage? So, there must be a balance on being credible and also, of being willing to retread the waters with your opinions on classics like Cool Water and Drakkar Noir.
    Honestly, I think you're way over-thinking it.

    It's youtube, not The New York Times. If I want expert opinions, I'll go to the experts. I don't mean that as a slam against youtube reviews. I really enjoy youtube reviews. A great review, IMHO, is one where the reviewer turns on the camera and gives HIS or HER own thoughts on how a scent smells and how it wears rather than trying to tell me what I may think.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  51. #51

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    It's just a different way of expressing opinions on fragrances. A bit like that Basenotes place...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    Aventus bottle as an avatar? He is brain_dead.
    Clearly!

  52. #52

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    [QUOTE=L'Homme Blanc Individuel;2963128]Honestly, I think you're way over-thinking it.

    It's youtube, not The New York Times. If I want expert opinions, I'll go to the experts.

    I suppose this was a motivation for reviewing fragrances. Look at Luca Turin. Are his opinions the final word on what is good or bad? The best advice would be to find a reviewer with similar taste and take their opinions the most seriously. However, even better advice is this. The only sure way to know what is good or bad is to test for yourself. Some fragrances that I purchased had almost no reviews when I bought them. That gives me the satisfaction of having one of the only available reviews for a fragrance, basenotes, youtube, or otherwise. So, perhaps the satisfaction is more indulgent than anything. Like someone mentioned, not really the best way to obtain fame and fortune in this world. Perhaps I should stop buying fragrances and invest in scratch-off lottery tickets. More likely to get rich that way

  53. #53

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roblord View Post
    creed batches ruined everything.

    Aint it the truth.

  54. #54

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    I know that Youtube has its followers and detracters. I, personally don't watch. As was said by a previous poster I want to go to the true experts. Not the "alleged" experts, like Turin, Sanchez etc. I would rather come here to BN and read. I have more confidence in the views of BNers.


    BTW-Aventus, meh!




    Cheers Rex
    Last edited by trex57; 2nd May 2013 at 12:18 AM.
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

  55. #55

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by gilesjp View Post

    2) Internal bickering in the community
    Very much so, damn shame actually. Beefing on youtube over people being friends with other people and whatnot. Smh.
    Last edited by frostyicy; 2nd May 2013 at 01:02 AM.

  56. #56

    Default

    Damn ass hats on youtube ;-) lol

    - - - Updated - - -

    Fragrances for me are fun and actually some of the best fun I've had in my life with some of the most outstanding folks I've ever met. I just hate it when I see negativity get involved in any way. We have such a unique hobby and as far as I'm concerned I'm thankful for anyone that shares the same passion as me in this hobby as there are few of us in this world. The first year I started this hobby, the world of people I discovered were truly like none other. People of character, class and hearts....beautiful people. As time has gone on I have seen the bad and it's disappointing but as with any community and the world in general, that's just the way it is. I hope it stays to a minimum and urge everyone to try and find the positive in everything, enjoy each other, smile and have fun :-)

  57. #57

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    I've really never understood what YouTube adds to reviewing a scent, beyond what you get from reading written reviews here and at other places. At least here you can quickly scan dozens of reviews of one scent in a couple of minutes, and get an idea of the diversity of opinion - which has to be far less time consuming than doing the same on YouTube.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 2nd May 2013 at 10:16 AM.

  58. #58

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Too much whining, not enough straightforward, unselfconscious commentary and contribution. To any would-be contributors, please dive in wholeheartedly.

  59. #59

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I've really never understood what YouTube adds to reviewing a scent, beyond what you get from reading written reviews here and at other places. At least here you can quickly scan dozens of reviews of one scent in a couple of minutes, and get an idea of the diversity of opinion - which has to be far less time consuming doing the same on YouTube.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Exactly, and when the novelty value wore off, it was time to exit stage right. LOL.

  60. #60

    Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

    When I first started to really become passionate about fragrances, I used YouTube as a way to get suggestions on what's good, what's bad, etc. I think what led me to follow YouTube reviews, was realizing that I was not alone. That there were others out there who were just as passionate about fragrances as I am. Its not common to meet people on a daily basis who own more than even 3 bottles of perfume, especially not males. Telling people that you are willing(and have already) to spend more than even $100 on any one fragrance will get you snickers, head shakes, and scornful comments about your priorities. You may say "well don't discuss your passion with anyone". Think of when you first became enamored with fragrances. The feel, and look, of your first bottle of niche. All you want to do is share your experience! I say all that to say this, YouTube puts a face with the review. Although the reviews can be extremely annoying, newbies can see the reaction to the first sniff, the facial expression made when smelling a "5 star fragrance" or a "total scrubber". It puts their mind at ease and introduces them to whole new olfactory journey filled with knowledge and excitement that they never thought possible. Lastly, YouTube brought me to basenotes! I very rarely watch YouTube videos now and get 99% of my knowledge of a fragrance or genre from the great folks here at basenotes, but PLEASE YouTube reviewers, keep doing your thing. I guarantee your videos are guiding the beginning of someone's fragrance journey right now...
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles

Similar Threads

  1. New to basenotes and the Fragrance Community!
    By Jay08 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10th June 2012, 12:51 PM
  2. Thanks to the fragrance community!
    By silentrich in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 27th March 2012, 04:37 PM
  3. Thanks to the fragrance community!
    By silentrich in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 26th March 2012, 08:24 PM
  4. The online fragrance community!!!
    By Linues41 in forum Member blogs and websites
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th September 2011, 11:48 AM
  5. Leaky sample atomizers, has that happend to you?
    By N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17th July 2011, 04:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •