Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What happend to fragrance community.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    People come and people go. There are probably more people on YouTube making fragrance related videos now than ever before. Like this handsome chap... http://www.youtube.com/user/QWERTYOP80
    Subscribed
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Ive never liked youtube reviews. To this day, I haven't found one that is good. I have prejudice against youtube reviews. I prefer to read the reviews at basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    Creed pls go
    GIT is a hit . Maybe the justin bieber of the niche scents.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I don't watch many YT frag reviewers, although I do subscribe to 860Cologne.
    He hasn't reviewed any fragrances I particularly like, but he's a good reviewer and has a pleasant voice and mannerisms.
    This was a huge surprise! thanks for the compliment And I hope to get to some frags that you like there was just so much new stuff that came out when I started I figured I'd cut my teeth on them until I found my style.

I'm fairly new to the YT reviewers and wasn't really into the scene much except I did know Marc and liked the info he gave and he comes across as a really nice guy, so his vids are pleasant to watch.

As per this bickering inside the community, I came in right after some apparently major blow up where one guy posted a harsh video then left or something... I honestly don't know what happened and I am real curious to find out. Is there more in-fighting other than this? I'm passionate about fragrance as I'm sure we all are, but it's not worth starting arguments over. lol I'm a big sports fan as well and I can see some correlation between the sports comments and YT reviewers. I wonder what it would be like to have an opinion show kind of like PTI for fragrances (For those outside the US or non sport lovers PTI stands for Pardon The Interruption and is a show on ESPN where 2 sports writers give their opinions on various sports topics, much like political opinion shows).

I like the categories that L'Homme Blanc Individuel posted earlier, that seems to sum it up rather well.

For me, the reason I started my channel was due to the fact that I didn't have many people near me that shared my enthusiasm for this hobby/sickness. And I love the community here on BN, but one thing I like to do as I'm cleaning or cooking is let a video review play on my computer as I go about my business, much harder to do that while reading thru here, although I end up doing both.

Another reason I did it was to help me in my job as a fragrance SA. It's one thing to have an opinion with an individual customer, but to put yourself in front of hundreds of people, some of whom are very opinionated and more knowledgeable as well, really has made me more concise in developing my thoughts and more importantly being able to convey that opinion in a timely fashion.

Surprisingly, I have had quite a few customers come up to me and say they recognized me from YouTube, so I guess there are more crazy people like me in my area than I thought, and that has been a lot of fun to get to know them.

I suppose to answer the OP question about this community we might have to look at the way society is changing as well. When you look at TV and popular culture these days it seems the things that get the most attention are that shock. Tabloids, reality tv and shows where the audience is encouraged to scream out at ppl on stage seem to be commonplace. People want to shock and stir some shit up rather than have intelligent discourse and maybe this is the attitude some people here or they just think it's the norm.

You have your Jerry Springer's and Maury's on YouTube but luckily you also have a few Oprah's and Daily Shows (sadly, these were the best TV's shows I could think of off the top of my head, we do live in a sad world) I've found quite a few reviewers that I like a lot and think add to the community in a positive way, but just like everything else in life you have to sift thru some crap to get there

Niche happened and it all went downhill...

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Everyone has an opinion and some are more opinionated than others. There are various medium available to express one's opinions and to read/hear those opinions of others. To me, YT is a very inefficient means of getting to know others' opinions. ^Those reviewers on YT that think it's about them in the least and not the fragrance... well, I've never had time for that! It's not my idea of entertainment and I'm not so easily amused. Just another virtual identity with another opinion, but it's inefficient. Here, in the reviews section and given the fragrance, I can quickly come to know scores of opinions in the same time frame. That aspect was a major attraction back a few years when my enthusiasm was more at fever pitch AND I, for whatever reasons, thought there was more objectivity to this thing. Over time, I learned that that is but an impossibility with such things so subjective and so ever-changing.

Where is that gent with all the 'scientific studies' when you might really be interested in one? Excuse me... while I whip this scientifc study out! hehe, j/k

Oh yeah, one more thing... that guy from pygros has got one major chip on his shoulder. Maybe it's justified maybe it's not, but if I ever got myself so deep into this thing to think that way and feel I had to express myself that way publicly, well I'd hope I'd be able to push myself away from the bar, give up my seat, and find something better to do with my limited time on this ball-o-mud.

Indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Ive never liked youtube reviews. To this day, I haven't found one that is good. I have prejudice against youtube reviews. I prefer to read the reviews at basenotes.

Thank you Mr. Plainview for your brutally frank assessment .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I've really never understood what YouTube adds to reviewing a scent, beyond what you get from reading written reviews here and at other places. At least here you can quickly scan dozens of reviews of one scent in a couple of minutes, and get an idea of the diversity of opinion - which has to be far less time consuming than doing the same on YouTube.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I don't really understand what people think they can get from a youtube review that they can't get in a far more comprehensive form here. (Though I don't want to be unpleasant. Qwertytop comes across as sincere and has have a nice way of expressing himself and I'm sure many others do too).

On a vaguely related note, does anybody know what has happened to 'petruccijc', who used to be a prominent poster here?

I myself have been away from the site (and the hobby) for a few months until recently - I guess the same may simply be true for him. But on my return I am finding I have missed his presence here, and his insightful & knowledgable posts.

Anyone?

Sorry
    Last edited by SteelerOpera; 2nd May 2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: didn't think my orig post went thru

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I don't really understand what people think they can get from a youtube review that they can't get in a far more comprehensive form here. (Though I don't want to be unpleasant. Qwertytop comes across as sincere and has have a nice way of expressing himself and I'm sure many others do too).
    Basenotes reviews are better excellent you can easily glance across many of them to get a wider range of perspectives. Most reviews here tend to be brief, and I appreciate that.

Youtube reviews are excellent because they tend to be more in-depth than the majority of reviews posted here. Youtube reviews have more in common with blog reviews than basenotes or fragrantica reviews in that regard. I enjoy them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Surely, you don't like it when people treat you with prejudice. I'm surprised you're so quick to be prejudiced. There are some excellent reviews and reviewers on youtube. Pre-judging them all is neither wise nor fair. But, hey, whatever.

I prefer reviews on basenotes and fragrantica, but I go to youtube for more in-depth reviews, especially if I can find them done by certain people there. Not all youtube reviews are good, of course. Some are crap (especially the mindless hypers and reviews that just recite what they've heard other reviewers say) but some people on youtube really do an excellent job of creating video reviews. I spent many years working in the mainstream media, and I'm often impressed by what I see amateurs doing on youtube. There are some people on there that I think do a better job than many pros (granted, it's comparing apples and oranges when comparing fragrance reviews to news media and/or entertainers... but I'm not talking about comparing similar content so much as comparing the way someone on camera connects with a viewer and presents information in a personable way). There are some talented people on youtube. I can easily think of a bunch from the fragrance community that have real talent in front of a camera.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

I would much rather spend 1 minute reading a thought out concise review than 5 minutes watching a guy sniff his arm or sprayer and meander around the English language's filler words throwing some notes out there that he is getting... Watching a guy sniffing a sprayer like a poodle sniffing the ass of another poodle is something I can do without.
    +1!!!

I've really never understood what YouTube adds to reviewing a scent, beyond what you get from reading written reviews here and at other places. At least here you can quickly scan dozens of reviews of one scent in a couple of minutes, and get an idea of the diversity of opinion - which has to be far less time consuming than doing the same on YouTube.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Because these days more people would rather watch the movie than read the book, if you get my drift.

To the OP's question...

... DanielPlainView joined it.

Blog Entries

when bored, I watch a choice few reviewers...mainly SmellyThoughts who seems to have the same taste as me, and 8RK7 who I also enjoy. Some are obnoxious, and I agree with others here, my Attention Deficit stops me from sitting through a 6min discussion on one frag when I can read 7-8 reviews on BN in far less time.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    On a vaguely related note, does anybody know what has happened to 'petruccijc', who used to be a prominent poster here?

I myself have been away from the site (and the hobby) for a few months until recently - I guess the same may simply be true for him. But on my return I am finding I have missed his presence here, and his insightful & knowledgable posts.

Anyone?

personal stuff apparently (Not that it's any of my business)

personal stuff apparently (Not that it's any of my business)
    Sending him best wishes in that case if he should read this.

Man his last post was September. I hadn't even realised.

Back on subject - it's just a different medium, guys. Neither is "better". It's not "us & them". We all enjoy the same hobby. Some just go about it in different ways to others. To feel some sense of superiority because your preferred method of enjoying reviews may happen to be written rather than visual, is incredibly silly.

YT reviews.

Only half of that sentence is correct. YT is. Review isn't.

The word has lost its integrity.

Just because a person is able to jettison words out of an orifice doesn't make it a review.

For it to qualify as a review the person has had to demonstrate some knowledge of the topic.

Owning a camera and access to the internet doesn't make you a reviewer.

YT perfume reviews are more appropriately named YT perfume thoughts or YT perfume bloopers in some cases.

-------

Some not all.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 3rd May 2013 at 10:22 AM.

for swap/sale:

Anybody have a brick wall I could borrow?

- - - Updated - - -

Who cares about labels? They're people with opinions. Perfectly valid opinions. Just like everybody here. And they're perfectly entitled to express their opinions, just like everybody here. The elitism and snobbery shown by some here is baffling, sad, and hilarious.

For the record, I've made a point of never calling myself "a reviewer". My videos are all fragrance related. I see my channel as more of a "vlog" type of channel. In the end, i'm just a person with an opinion. We all are. Enough looking down your noses at people who choose to enjoy THE SAME HOBBY in a different way, eh?
    Last edited by QWERTYOP; 3rd May 2013 at 08:56 AM.

Don't play the plebeian being ravaged by the royalty card.

No ones being elitist or a snob.

No one said people shouldn't talking about perfumes.

What's baffling, sad and hilarious are the InstaNoses spawned overnight by reading a notes pyramid and then producing perfume prophecies on YT.

- - - Updated - - -

What's baffling, sad and hilarious are the InstaNoses spawned overnight by reading a notes pyramid and then producing perfume prophecies on YT.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

The thing about the internet is that it gives everyone the opportunity to be famous. It used to be that you had to have some talent, or pay your dues before you were seen by millions...now you just need a webcam. NOT that there isn't benefit in that, but it sure makes it harder to weed out the chaff to find a bit of grain.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Read through the reviews on Basenotes some time...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    The thing about the internet is that it gives everyone the opportunity to be famous. It used to be that you had to have some talent, or pay your dues before you were seen by millions...now you just need a webcam. NOT that there isn't benefit in that, but it sure makes it harder to weed out the chaff to find a bit of grain.
    Or a message board....

Some people really can't see past their own noses.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    This happens every day on basenotes too though. Really, youtube and basenotes share some similarities. For example, each site has some amazing noses. For an example on youtube, check out Kristo. His reviews are detailed without the rambling, and they're top notch. Granted, there are some idiots on youtube, but let's be honest, there's plenty of ridiculousness here too. How often do we see people pick one note and declare two scents that have it to be nearly identical. There's lots of that here. And there's more Creed fanboyism here than on youtube.

QWERTY really summed it up well when he said that youtube and basenotes are just different mediums. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Frankly, I wish there were more members who were active on both sites - either as reviewers or commenters. Kristo, Katie Puckrik, the Fragrance Bros, Al and many others would be great additions to the basenotes family if they were active members here.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    This happens every day on basenotes too though. Really, youtube and basenotes share some similarities. For example, each site has some amazing noses. For an example on youtube, check out Kristo. His reviews are detailed without the rambling, and they're top notch. Granted, there are some idiots on youtube, but let's be honest, there's plenty of ridiculousness here too. How often do we see people pick one note and declare two scents that have it to be nearly identical. There's lots of that here. And there's more Creed fanboyism here than on youtube.

QWERTY really summed it up well when he said that youtube and basenotes are just different mediums. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Frankly, I wish there were more members who were active on both sites - either as reviewers or commenters. Kristo, Katie Puckrik, the Fragrance Bros, Al and many others would be great additions to the basenotes family if they were active members here.
    I volunteer to personally visit Katie Puckrik and take her to dinner to convince her to join the basenotes community.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I volunteer to personally visit Katie Puckrik and take her to dinner to convince her to join the basenotes community.
    Thanks for taking one for the team! Now the question is, which cologne would you wear on your date with Katie?

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Niche happened and it all went downhill...

Since I am a Niche / Artisan Perfumer, I'm curious how you think that Niche Fragrances killed the industry...?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Cheers,
    Renato
    I agree with this....

- - - Updated - - -

All the talk about youtube reviewers and such could it be that most of them just review a fragrance because they love it so much and they want to tell the whole world?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    I agree with this....

- - - Updated - - -

All the talk about youtube reviewers and such could it be that most of them just review a fragrance because they love it so much and they want to tell the whole world?
    Erm... Nope. Plenty of negative (if that's the right word) reviews out there. The Fragrance Bro's Lumiere Noire video today for example.

Cheers,
    Renato
    Yeah, I agree. One reason I used to watch Youtube reviews though, is I like to see a video of the bottle & presentation (as opposed to just seeing an image of it online). I also like haul videos where people give their first impressions of multiple scents. Marc Robes used to do this and I really enjoyed watching it. The top 10/top 20 scents of a particular season videos aren't bad either.

Having said that, I've pretty much lost interest in watching Youtube reviews now. Mainly because they're usually just too long. I can't dedicate 10 to 20 minutes of my time to listen to one person's opinion about one fragrance.

I find this whole topic rather fasinating, and intend on doing a video response to it as early as tommorow on my Youtube channel.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I find this whole topic rather fasinating, and intend on doing a video response to it as early as tommorow on my Youtube channel.
    In that case I'll start a thread here with my response to your video about your response to people's response to your Youtube videos..

Talking Re: What happend to fragrance community.

In that case I'll start a thread here with my response to your video about your response to people's response to your Youtube videos..
    Sounds like a sensible plan to me

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Because these days more people would rather watch the movie than read the book, if you get my drift.
    I suppose that on a rainy afternoon, watching YouTube reviews would be a pleasant and entertaining pastime.
    Cheers,
    Renato

What I've noticed lately is that it seems like the newer reviewers have these elaborate introductions. The music is rockin, fragrance bottles are spinning and flying all over the screen.....I could care less about this and to be honest the reviews themselves don't have to be accurate. I enjoy watching the YouTube reviews because of the way the person presents himself/herself and brings some passion to why they like or don't like it. Overall I think most of them do a really good job and it's always nice to get different opinions whether you agree with them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Yeah, I agree. One reason I used to watch Youtube reviews though, is I like to see a video of the bottle & presentation (as opposed to just seeing an image of it online). I also like haul videos where people give their first impressions of multiple scents. Marc Robes used to do this and I really enjoyed watching it. The top 10/top 20 scents of a particular season videos aren't bad either.

Having said that, I've pretty much lost interest in watching Youtube reviews now. Mainly because they're usually just too long. I can't dedicate 10 to 20 minutes of my time to listen to one person's opinion about one fragrance.
    I agree. You'd have to be either a real aficionado of scents, or a real fan of the reviewer to devote 10 or more minutes to watching a review of one scent. I'vc tended to give up after a minute.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I think YouTube is a fantastic place for fragrance enthusiasts. Is it more developed and extensive as BN? No, I think that's because it's easier for most people to write about a fragrance.

What I love about YT is that you are actually seeing a person on screen. You see their personality, their mannerisms, facial expressions when excited or disappointed with a scent and it's easier to connect and become friends with them.

Is everyone perfect? No. What I love seeing is development. Look at Marc's (robes08) videos when he started and where he is now.
    It's like your watching someone's fragrance journey.

To be honest you can get the same opinions on BN and other similar places. YT is just another medium to express views. I guess it comes down to preference. Do you prefer to read or watch.

I'm more active on YT and Facebook but I still love to read BN posts from time to time.

Everyone and even the reviewers all got bored. Hiro, JR, cutlass supreme et al. I am bored of YouTube.

Enjoyed pretty much all youtube reviews I've seen for different reasons.

Blog Entries

I DO enjoy watching the actual Perfumers discuss their creations...There is a great one of the late Mona di Orio discussing her line of frags...BUT like I said before, I know since they created the frag that they have some authority to speak about it.

I DO enjoy watching the actual Perfumers discuss their creations...There is a great one of the late Mona di Orio discussing her line of frags...BUT like I said before, I know since they created the frag that they have some authority to speak about it.
    Yeah, is that the one from Extrait TV? That was a fantastic interview, especially when she describes her Oud fragrance.

Al's Steet Scents episode with Andy Tauer comes to mind. (don't rub it in).

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Here's one guy's thoughts on the same subject - the exhaustion/boredom/stagnation of the perfume community as a whole. Be warned that this guy is highly critical of basenotes. He has some valid criticisms in this regard, but the main reason I'm linking this is because of the larger picture he describes.

http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/2013/...nd-end-of.html
    When I was banned from basenotes, something interesting happened - someone began hacking its database and crashing its servers on a regular basis. Within the year after my termination, basenotes crashed about seven times, with at least half of those times serious, damage-sustained blackouts where Grant had to set up a triage unit that loosely resembled the site so injured members could stagger in out of the ashes and drum up conversation about how lame the latest By Kilians are.

:-p

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 8rk7 View Post
    Yeah, is that the one from Extrait TV? That was a fantastic interview, especially when she describes her Oud fragrance.
    Yep, that is the one. I LOVE the way she pronounces Vetiver and Tuberose...It sounds soooo.....French! BTW I am subscribed to your Youtube reviews...you do a good job!

Yep, that is the one. I LOVE the way she pronounces Vetiver and Tuberose...It sounds soooo.....French! BTW I am subscribed to your Youtube reviews...you do a good job!
    Lol, yeah the French pronunciation of Vetiver is great.
    Thanks for being a subscriber!
    I'm going to try and be a bit more active on BN. I just read posts but rarely comment.

OK, my video is up. I called it "Is the Fragrance Community Dying?" channel is www.youtube.com/user/bpwool

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Here's one guy's thoughts on the same subject - the exhaustion/boredom/stagnation of the perfume community as a whole. Be warned that this guy is highly critical of basenotes. He has some valid criticisms in this regard, but the main reason I'm linking this is because of the larger picture he describes.

http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/2013/...nd-end-of.html
    Secret forums? Let me in!

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    OK, my video is up. I called it "Is the Fragrance Community Dying?" channel is www.youtube.com/user/bpwool
    Nice review Brad!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Enjoyed your video Brad.

Now that's a reply!