Code of Conduct

Thread: 'Cult' Perfumes

Default 'Cult' Perfumes

Apologies if this has been posted already, but I couldn't find mention of it here. Victoria at Bois de Jasmin reviews this book here: http://boisdejasmin.com/2013/04/cult...tml#more-15904.

And for those who dislike the term 'niche,' I wonder if this is more suitable. What do you think?

Default Re: 'Cult' Perfumes

Thanks for the info.

Thanks Kagey. Must buy. Intersting comments in the Boisdejasmin article though......

It finally arrived in the 80s.

Cult versus niche. Hmmmm. Cult would refer to those people who hold the fragrance on a pedestal. Niche would refer to the fragrance's position in current scheme of offerings. From where I sit (smell), the word cult has connotations that don't do the lovers of the fragrance, nor the fragrance itself, any good. Niche isn't perfect; it can be irritating; and it may speak mostly about perceptions. But calling a fragrance a niche fragrance doesn't redound on those who use the juice.

Here's something i dont understand...

Rarely hear people use the word niche to describe skincare products where there plenty available on the market, probably none. But to perfume, whatever hits the $150 mark will automatically becomes 'Niche' these days.

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    But to perfume, whatever hits the $150 mark will automatically becomes 'Niche' these days.
    That's because there's no agreed definition of 'niche.' And yet some people might say that price has something to do with the definition, because it's a way of limiting the distribution to a particular niche in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    That's because there's no agreed definition of 'niche.' And yet some people might say that price has something to do with the definition, because it's a way of limiting the distribution to a particular niche in the market.
    That's the reason why pricing and packaging do play a very important role when launching a perfume or any products. Like gourmand sandwich, what so gourmand about it? i have no idea..

And for those who dislike the term 'niche,' I wonder if this is more suitable. What do you think?
    I would dislike cult even more than niche...yes the "niche" term is confusing at times, as there's no standard to mark one brand / parfumer as niche & not the other. I would categorize it based only on creativity, but that again can be conflicting, as to me Eau Sauvage is as wonderful a creation as a Malle's French Lover - where do we put a line?

With the internet and online shopping, the term and the creators / creations themselves are more easily accessible to the world, so in 5-10 yrs, IMHO, "niche" will be obsolete...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I would dislike cult even more than niche...yes the "niche" term is confusing at times, as there's no standard to mark one brand / parfumer as niche & not the other. I would categorize it based only on creativity, but that again can be conflicting, as to me Eau Sauvage is as wonderful a creation as a Malle's French Lover - where do we put a line?

With the internet and online shopping, the term and the creators / creations themselves are more easily accessible to the world, so in 5-10 yrs, IMHO, "niche" will be obsolete...
    As for cult, only 1 brand comes to mind - Slumberhouse - totally different from all other parfums i own / sampled / tested etc...

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    Here's something i dont understand...

Rarely hear people use the word niche to describe skincare products where there plenty available on the market, probably none. But to perfume, whatever hits the $150 mark will automatically becomes 'Niche' these days.
    I don't think price has anything to do with the term. Chanel and Dior have exclusive lines for example that cost more than $150, but they are still 'designer'.

Thanks for sharing the link to an interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I don't think price has anything to do with the term. Chanel and Dior have exclusive lines for example that cost more than $150, but they are still 'designer'.
    Me either, would rather categorizing those exclusive lines to 'Luxe', which seems far more suitable.

Right. But I don't think the terms niche and designer are mutually exclusive. I think Chanel has niche and mainstream fragrances. And Knize Ten is a good example of designer niche. But that just goess to show that there's no agreed definition.

Thank you for the Link, Kagey

Right. But I don't think the terms niche and designer are mutually exclusive. I think Chanel has niche and mainstream fragrances. And Knize Ten is a good example of designer niche. But that just goess to show that there's no agreed definition.
    'Designer Niche'? A sort of hybrid. I'm really confused now -- Grrrr

'Designer Niche'? A sort of hybrid. I'm really confused now -- Grrrr
    I just think 'designer' isn't the opposite of niche. For me, the opposite of niche is 'mainstream.'

^ Yes!!
    or simply La Parfumerie ; like Chocolatier to the foodie.

Maison Molinard is another good example. La Parfumerie, a well established perfume brand without an exaggerated price tag.