Code of Conduct

Thread: Amouage Opus VI

Default Amouage Opus VI

I am new to amber fragrances. I was smelling Les Nombres dOr Ambre Mona di Orio, and the woman at the counter sprayed Opus VI and gave me a sample. She said it was a much better amber fragrance. At first I moved past this, but I keep going back to this one. There is something I can't stop sniffing. Is it the Amber? Are others like this or better?

I am trying to figure out if I should consider getting a bottle of this, or looking into other Amber scents good for men.

Any advice is helpful.

Default Re: Amouage Opus VI

Hey 425,

Well, you've started with some big names. First off though, as someone who has been at this frag game for many many years, I urge you to get rid of the idea of "better." There is no objective better in the fragrance world; what really matters is how well something resonates with you, and how well it projects the image/story/impression that *you* want to project to the world. Those are the only things that matter, so don't get caught up in price, prestige, or the opinions of "better or best" that you'll undoubtedly get galore from the fragrance community. For a random example, I enjoy my super cheap SoTD Ralph Lauren Romance Silver far more than say, Opus V or Creed Aventus or any other number of scents that cost ten times as much as it did, and no arguments of objective quality (as if the average fragrance consumer can really judge that?) will make me enjoy Aventus more than Romance Silver. It just is what it is.

I say that because I've honestly seen people get swayed away from scents they love because the scent didn't get the "fragrance community seal of approval" - and that makes me sad. You shouldn't have that issue with Opus VI; it's been very well received, but you will surely come face to face with the issue at some point and I hope you stand your ground and just love what you love.

That all being said, I've not tried the Mona, so I don't know how it compares. I will say that you might want to give Bond's New York Amber a sniff, as it shares a number of qualities with Opus VI (a dry and yet fairly lightweight amber), but has a number of differences that set it apart. It's more floral in the dry down, and more dry and astringent in the opening, and has a bit more evolution. I personally prefer Opus VI, but I do think that the Bond is worth a sniff as it is honestly the closest scent I've smelled in comparison to VI. Most ambers are thicker, heavier, more dense or opaque, sweeter, and less dry than Opus VI.

If you want to try the absolute 'reference amber' - imo, as it really just captures the core labdanum/benzoin/vanilla accord that IS amber - do sample L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme. If you compare Opus VI to it, I think it should be pretty clear why I chose the adjectives I did for Opus VI above, and using those two points of reference (and the Mona), people can help you determine just what qualities you are really loving, because "amber" as a category is pretty wide and encompasses many different scents with drastically different qualities.

Edit: Should also mention that I'm not a huge fan of amber oriented scents in general, but I do love Opus VI. As mentioned, Opus VI and New York Amber are pretty unique ambers - liking them does not necessarily equate to liking amber scents as a category. That's why I do suggest trying out a more traditional amber such as the L'Artisan mentioned above, or maybe Montale Blue Amber - those are much more representative of the typical amber accord.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

That's a lovely, balmy scent -- but from what I remember, it's not amber. It's more spicy labdanum if memory serves me correct. Amouage's quality and materials are extremely high (as is the price), so perhaps what she meant? More like "better than the amber fragrances I have in stock."

But if you're looking to try amber, there's a ton out there -- and a number of threads devoted to the topic. But as a quick list of a few than I personally love as well as a few that get a lot of attention:

HdP's Ambre 144 -- one of the most "true" amber scents out there in that it's quite dry
    Luten's Ambre Sultan -- curry explosion over a very rich, dense amber scent
    Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax -- a citrus take on the genre
    TF's Amber Absolute -- my personal favorite; a merger of woods and amazing amber
    PG's L'Ombre Fauve -- the most unique I've tried in that it's highly animalic
    Dior's Ambre Nuit -- a little more boozy
    Kilian's Amber Incense -- not my personal favorite, but a more smoky take on it

I can only speak for myself, but I've found L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme and Bond's New York Amber to be inferior (I find the L'Artisn to be weak and inarticulate in what it's trying to do; the Bond, like all Bond's just throws everything in your face at high volume. Their fragrances use a massive amount of fixatives, and so the notes becomes extremely convoluted. This one has a bunch of agarwood in it, and the combination, to me, smells like a chemical floor cleaner).

There's a whole workd of amber out there -- and Opus IV isn't one of them, as lovely as it is! Actual amber (meaning a CO2 extraction from the conifer) actually smells somewhat burned and rubbery. Amber in much perfumery is more of an interpretation of amber, and is often sweetened with other notes.

EDIT: Wow! It turns out that Sculpture and I have opposing perspectives on amber! I actually am a HUGE fan of amber scents and have at one point or another tried a ton of them.
    Last edited by deadidol; 1st May 2013 at 07:40 AM.

Wow... Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Such great advice on many levels. I am not sure if amber is what intrigues me about this fragrance. Opus VI is not the normal fragrance that I go for, but it really captivates me and draws me in, it almost confuses me in a good way. I have been a little disappointed finding a scent I love, then going to Luca Turins book to find it gets a low rating. I really appreciate your advice and how a scent reflects me. You gave me a lot to think about with your suggestions. The thing is I think I really love Opus VI I just don't know why, which is weird to me.

I don't think the L'Artisan is a great scent by any stretch, but I do think it is the most bare bones "amber accord" and I do think it captures the labdanum/benzoin/vanilla accord expertly. In that sense, I think it's a reference point because you can use it in a sort of process of elimination; you can compare it to say Ambre Nuit and find that Ambre Nuit has more woods, is darker, drier and more floral. You can compare it to Ambre Sultan and see just what it means when someone says "herbal amber." etc etc.

144 is also a good reference amber. I had forgotten about it because I think it's boring (like the L'Artisan, which I only remember because I do consider it the base line amber), but I don't think it's "bad."

That being said, I do think Opus VI qualifies as an amber. Labdanum is a key component of amber, and there is some vanilla in the mix too. But yes, the dry sandalwood and spice (pepper and bay) do take it far from typical amber territory.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by 425 View Post
    The thing is I think I really love Opus VI I just don't know why, which is weird to me.
    It's a great scent! The whole line is fantastic though, so if you haven't explored them all, you should. Their prices are very high, but the quality matches the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    144 is also a good reference amber. I had forgotten about it because I think it's boring (like the L'Artisan, which I only remember because I do consider it the base line amber), but I don't think it's "bad."

That being said, I do think Opus VI qualifies as an amber. Labdanum is a key component of amber, and there is some vanilla in the mix too. But yes, the dry sandalwood and spice (pepper and bay) do take it far from typical amber territory.
    I'm the same with 114: I don't dislike it, but it's so true to form that there's nothing that thrilling to it. Aside from L'Artisan's amber ball http://www.artisanparfumeur.com/shop/home-fragrance/amber-balls.html, 114 is about as close to an actual amber as it gets.

I need to revisit Opus IV as it's been a while, and for whatever reason, my mind is telling me that it leaned much more toward spice/incense.

Deadidol,

Thank you for you reply and advice. You are probably correct that is likely what she meant. There is just something in the Opus VI I want to explore. It is very different from everything else I have, and how been drawn to so far. I will have to look into labdanum. I read a few of the threads about good amber scents and am going to do a few samples of amber fragrances. I was thinking of:

Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe
    TF's Amber Absolute
    Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax
    Kilian Amber Oud
    L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme
    Luten's Ambre Sultan - this one I am still on the fence about because there are so many other I want to try from this house.

Really appreciate the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by 425 View Post
    Luten's Ambre Sultan - this one I am still on the fence about because there are so many other I want to try from this house.

Really appreciate the replies!
    This is one of the more challenging ones in that the initial blast of this scent is VERY strong and is incredibly spicy. In that respect, it's probably worth a sniff before you take the plunge on the Opus as it's a fraction of the price (you can buy it from fragrancenet for around $65US) and is striking some similar chords.

As much as I want to be I am not a blind buyer, so I will do a sample sniff of this one too if not in the first round, definitely the second round. Even if it isn't the amber it is worth the experience. Thanks for the feedback.

Blog Entries

My favorite Amber is Bond no 9 New York Amber. NOT typical amber but it blows me away. I Love Opus VI also, but i think of it as more spice than amber. The price of both can be a deterrent though...both are over $300
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales